Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 19th February 2008, 11:27   #61
Team-BHP Support

There also magic bricks:

India Real Estate & Properties - Sell Buy Rent Commercial n Residential Property and Get Fair Deals by Real Estate Brokers, Agents or Dealers in India
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2008, 15:10   #62
Senior - BHPian

Amigos!

I have finally landed in BLR. It was a hectic day today...my flight was delayed by 4 hrs The 7.30AM flight took off at 12.00 PM and i was at the airport since 6.00 AM.

Rest all in a new post!
amtak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2008, 15:15   #63
Team-BHP Support

Welcome Amtak. If you need any help feel free to call.
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2008, 11:25   #64
Senior - BHPian

Hi team!

Here's my report on the way of living and people I encountered in BLR on day 1...

Afternoon: As I posted in the previous post that my flight was delayed by a couple of hours, I managed to reach office late by 2.00 PM when I was supposed to be reaching there at 9. All said and done, the people at the airport were nice, I could quickly find the Pre-paid taxi counter and got the cab pretty quickly too. The cabbie was nice and polite and was more than helpful in finding the office address for a stranger like me. For the cabbie 8/10.

Evening: I have been put up in a hotel near the Ejjipura signal (100 ft intermediate road, Kormangala) and my office is near the 1st Block. The office boy got me a rick (I was with my lugguage) and sat in the rick...told him the area and he was like, how are you taking me there, its so full of traffic, I have driven more than 25 kms today and started abusing me in kannada! He's like you don't know the route, and you are asking me to help you in taking me to the hotel and blah blah blah (I understood he was abusing me in kannada). To make the matters worse, he stopped the rickshaw at a side and asked me to get down! and find my way to the hotel (mind you It was just 5 mins ago that i had boarded the rickshaw!!!) and was yelling at the top of his voice in kannada. Luckily, there were 2 nice gentlemen, who walked up to me and asked me what's the issue? I told them that it's my first day in BLR and I am going to my hotel and I have already read out my hotel address to this fellow who is talking about traffic and all stupid stuff and asking me to **** *** on my own. They saw the address and and from their personal cell called the hoetl ( A very sweet gesture on their part). They again instructed the "ricky pest" in kannda that the hotel is just 2 mins away now. I thanked them and they went and this guy started his thing again!!!! I has lost my temper (mind you I was being polite all this while and taking his sh** cooly as I already had a bad start in the morning.

Luckily I spotted my hotel and stopped the rick. I asked him the fare and paid him and also abused him in marathi this time!!!! If he could abuse me in Kannda why can't i in marathi. Rick guy gets 0/10. Reason being when I am talking in hindi and telling him that its my first day in BLR, and expect his help on reaching the destination, I don't expect "paid abuses" and an attitude which is like disgusting! Lastly, I used to drive more than 90 kms in mumbai traffic a day and never ever lost my temper, and this guy lost it by riding a rick for 25 kms? I mean, I am sure he wasn't riding alone and he was paid for the ride...Even if he's got some personal issues, he cannot be rude to me or anyone else. To me, he was not fit to be a rick driver. I would now give mumbai/pune rick driver 8 to 9 on a scale of 10.

FYI: I have decided not to take a rick in BLR and I walked from my hotel to the office today (about 45 mins walk).

I wish I could go back to Mumbai Atleast, when I pay respect to the rick guys there, they too are more than willing to help

Last edited by amtak : 21st February 2008 at 11:27.
Old 21st February 2008, 11:41   #65
Senior - BHPian

First of all,Welcome to Bangalore mate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
...The cabbie was nice and polite and was more than helpful in finding the office address for a stranger like me. For the cabbie 8/10.
Wonderful!

Quote:
...told him the area and he was like, how are you taking me there, its so full of traffic, I have driven more than 25 kms today and started abusing me in kannada! He's like you don't know the route, and you are asking me to help you in taking me to the hotel and blah blah blah (I understood he was abusing me in kannada). To make the matters worse, he stopped the rickshaw at a side and asked me to get down! and find my way to the hotel (mind you It was just 5 mins ago that i had boarded the rickshaw!!!) and was yelling at the top of his voice in kannada. Luckily, there were 2 nice gentlemen, who walked up to me and asked me what's the issue? I told them that it's my first day in BLR and I am going to my hotel and I have already read out my hotel address to this fellow who is talking about traffic and all stupid stuff and asking me to **** *** on my own. They saw the address and and from their personal cell called the hoetl ( A very sweet gesture on their part). They again instructed the "ricky pest" in kannda that the hotel is just 2 mins away now. I thanked them and they went and this guy started his thing again!!!! I has lost my temper (mind you I was being polite all this while and taking his sh** cooly as I already had a bad start in the morning.

Luckily I spotted my hotel and stopped the rick. I asked him the fare and paid him and also abused him in marathi this time!!!! If he could abuse me in Kannda why can't i in marathi. Rick guy gets 0/10. Reason being when I am talking in hindi and telling him that its my first day in BLR, and expect his help on reaching the destination, I don't expect "paid abuses" and an attitude which is like disgusting! Lastly, I used to drive more than 90 kms in mumbai traffic a day and never ever lost my temper, and this guy lost it by riding a rick for 25 kms? I mean, I am sure he wasn't riding alone and he was paid for the ride...Even if he's got some personal issues, he cannot be rude to me or anyone else. To me, he was not fit to be a rick driver. I would now give mumbai/pune rick driver 8 to 9 on a scale of 10.

FYI: I have decided not to take a rick in BLR and I walked from my hotel to the office today (about 45 mins walk).

I wish I could go back to Mumbai Atleast, when I pay respect to the rick guys there, they too are more than willing to help

(Sorry for quoting almost the entire post, but need to!)

No comments - but - great decision on deciding to walk. Atleast you get the needed exercise (not that I feel you need to!). And I am sure that this is much much much lighter on your nerves.

And... WELCOME to Bangalore!
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2008, 11:49   #66
BHPian

Hi Amit,
Really shocking man!!.... Sorry that you had to go thru this on ur first day in bangalore. I have been in Bangalore for 3 years now and had taken ricks very frequently... never once faced such a situation. Infact I was even happy that the ricks in bangalore are better than the ones back in hometown Chennai....
K a s h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2008, 12:11   #67
BHPian

Amit

Chill out buddy. It happens. Dont worry. But walking 45 mins in highly polluted atmosphere of Bangalore is NOT advised. Watch out. In a day or two, you should get good Ricks, even though their meters are tampered, it helps a lot
lambuhere1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2008, 12:18   #68
Team-BHP Support

Amtak, welcome to Bangalore. Ricks are a major menace here, and you would realize that to a greater extent once you start driving a car here. If you expect to stay in Bangalore, take my advice and try and join some spoken Kannada classes. I plan on doing so sometime too, but unable to fit it into my scheme of things.

On major routes, you can commute using the Volvo buses, and on roads such as the Outer Ring Road and the likes, you get share cabs which run illegaly. Pay 10 bucks and you would be able to cover quite some distance. They are also quite frequent. However, at all costs AVOID taking a share cab at night.

These apart, Bangalore should not be as difficult as you thought.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2008, 12:43   #69
Senior - BHPian

Thank you all. I fully understand that such things happen. However, no one can vent out his or her frustration on someone who's with him for a while and for no If he had a bad day, he should have justgone home and relaxed. I too had a bad start but I just controlled. If I would have started abusing him, I would have added fuel to the fire. However, I would like to add that I have lived in J&K for 8 years, Goa for 4 years, HYD and many other palces but I have never ever in my life encountered such a "bad" person. While dealing with him, it was the "Atithi devo bhava" ad which our Indian govt runs was going on in my mind.

PS: I have not transported my car to BLR and I am heavily dependant on public transport system for the time being. However, I am also keen on buying a bicycle to avoid this depandabilty menace!
Old 21st February 2008, 12:52   #70
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to banggy, it will add to your experience of living in different cities .

Life teaches us many things, not all will be good.

PS: change your location in forum to bglr now.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2008, 13:15   #71
BHPian

Amtak, take it easy pal! Ofcourse it is sad that you had a bad experience on your first day itself in Bangalore. But please be optimistic that you will have better days ahead. Don't completely rely on autoricks, but try to find out more options. Since the hotel you are staying is near to the main road, I am sure you can find some of your colleagues who would be travelling in the same route and hitch a ride atleast for somedays. Ofcourse it is a settling phase and things will fall in place, don't worry.

And..Welcome to Bangalore!
menonrajesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2008, 13:15   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Welcome to banggy, it will add to your experience of living in different cities .

Life teaches us many things, not all will be good.

PS: change your location in forum to bglr now.
Done! And yes, I agree with you. Life's job is to teach, its just we who prefer to unlearn whatever it teaches
Old 21st February 2008, 13:22   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by menonrajesh View Post
Amtak, take it easy pal! Ofcourse it is sad that you had a bad experience on your first day itself in Bangalore. But please be optimistic that you will have better days ahead. Don't completely rely on autoricks, but try to find out more options. Since the hotel you are staying is near to the main road, I am sure you can find some of your colleagues who would be travelling in the same route and hitch a ride atleast for somedays. Ofcourse it is a settling phase and things will fall in place, don't worry.

And..Welcome to Bangalore!
Yes Rajesh. I fully agree with you. The reason I raised that issue is how the rick fellow behaved with me despite me telling him that I am new to the city and I would appreciate his help. I took the cab from the pre-paid counter and I shoud say that the govt's Atithi devo bhava campaign is certainly working.Further, everyone in the office is against me taking a rick as they too had their share of exps. However, the sad part is there's no one who stays near my hotel.

I deal with expats who relocate into the country. They are more than eager to hope a ride into these ricks as they find them cute! However, When an fellow countrymen is treated in such a way, it leaves a bad impression in my mind. I have travelled with expats in ricks in Mumbai and the rick guys were more than willing to help them local lingo or even let them spin the rick!
Old 21st February 2008, 14:28   #74
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I deal with expats who relocate into the country. They are more than eager to hope a ride into these ricks as they find them cute! However, When an fellow countrymen is treated in such a way, it leaves a bad impression in my mind. I have travelled with expats in ricks in Mumbai and the rick guys were more than willing to help them local lingo or even let them spin the rick!
You would see a marked difference in the way you are treated if you offer to pay the auto guys more than the stipulated amount. Foreigners do that, hence the differential treatment.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2008, 14:41   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Amtak, welcome to Bangalore.
And about your rick experience, well, welcome to Bangalore once more

Just to complete your picture about the prepaid cabbie: The airport prepaids are close to double the normal cab fair in Bangalore. Hence the nicer treatment.
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote