Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 9th July 2015, 09:41   #241
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Top most Firing/ Secure IT companies in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Greek crisis has or rather will slow down EU. Some portion of work which is EU related, especially long projects may not materialise or may come in smaller quantities.
The impact is indirect. Most of the impetus for the implosion comes from within, the change in how industry works due to the advent in technology. Few months back I had asked one of my team leaders this question:

Me: The CRM project you delivered back in 2008, how long did it take and how many people did it take?
She: It took 5 junior level developers 18 months, or 90 person months.
Me: How long would it take today using modern tools/tech?
She: Two month for one middle level developer, just 2 person months.

That is 2.2% resources requirement compared to the previous decade. That is the impact of technology. This is the reason for the crisis.

Quote:
These chaps have not really picked up domain skills, since their understanding of a domain is from an IT solutions perspective and not from working there for a while. Now as mid managers they have lost touch with technical knowledge too, and will be the first to get fired, if they skill up on technology quickly, they will have breathing space to decide what to do when the bloodletting starts.
You say these chaps have not picked on domain skills, and then say if they skill up on technology quickly, they will get breathing space. How does upskilling on technology help their lack of domain knowledge? Survival of middle level managers entirely depends on domain knowledge.

Quote:
Agile is what companies will be forced to be, especially with pressure from clients and weakening currency worries, and yes they will do with lesser managers in the furture.
Agile... I suspect Agile will actually accelerate the crisis. It is time Agile/Scrum are officially declared as cults.

Quote:
I luckily got the opportunity to pursue my dream, and I am in aviation, currently flying for a major airline in India.
Good for you... nothing better than doing what you love.

Quote:
and it begins now... microsoft retrenching a large number of people mostly in its phone business.
http://www.ndtv.com/world-news/micro...00-jobs-779501
No, this has nothing to do with the looming crisis in IT industry. This is a common outcome of M&A in product companies.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2015, 10:57   #242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
The impact is indirect. Most of the impetus for the implosion comes from within, the change in how industry works due to the advent in technology. Few months back I had asked one of my team leaders this question:

Me: The CRM project you delivered back in 2008, how long did it take and how many people did it take?
She: It took 5 junior level developers 18 months, or 90 person months.
Me: How long would it take today using modern tools/tech?
She: Two month for one middle level developer, just 2 person months.

That is 2.2% resources requirement compared to the previous decade. That is the impact of technology. This is the reason for the crisis.

You say these chaps have not picked on domain skills, and then say if they skill up on technology quickly, they will get breathing space. How does upskilling on technology help their lack of domain knowledge? Survival of middle level managers entirely depends on domain knowledge.
Interesting points you have bought out. Since you seem to be heading a fairly large IT business, I would like you to throw light on something:

What kind of layoffs are we looking at in the near term? Is it going to be severe blood letting, or will it be masked under routine layoffs of 'under performers' every quarter?

Will potentially unwanted employees be given time to be productive, retrain them into useful assets, or will they be left out in the cold?

I believe that salary levels will initially stagnate, there after deteriorate, not even matching inflation levels.

There are lot of middle level managers I know, whose sole job seems to be fixing up/leading meetings to resolve issues between the client, dev team, testing team and quality teams. They are putting in between 10-14 hours each day on this kind of fire fighting, so where does it leave them in learning domain knowledge or even brushing up technical skills? Most of these people started off as technical programmers, and slowly lost their coding skills (not sure if they have picked up requisite domain skills on the way), and now are doing a job which is created by the company.

Its sad to see this hire/fire or rather use and throw policy being practiced by companies, whose sole asset seems to be intellectual capital. When they needed bodies, they hired like mad, now when they don't need so many, they may fire like mad too.
With no security net/infrastructure available in India for jobless people, it seems like bleak days for a mid 30s manager to be fired, then reskill and pick up a equally paying job.
apachelongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2015, 13:01   #243
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Since you seem to be heading a fairly large IT business
Nope, I head a tiny IT product company. But I worked for TCS for 6 years in the 90s.

Quote:
What kind of layoffs are we looking at in the near term? Is it going to be severe blood letting, or will it be masked under routine layoffs of 'under performers' every quarter?
I am hiring, actually.

Quote:
Will potentially unwanted employees be given time to be productive, retrain them into useful assets, or will they be left out in the cold?
I have nobody like that. Small companies rarely have seniors without extensive domain knowledge. Not only each one my senior staff have extensive domain knowledge, they are hands-on all the way. They can do anything their team members can do, same goes for me. I still design/program critical components of some products in my 25th year.

Quote:
There are lot of middle level managers I know, whose sole job seems to be fixing up/leading meetings to resolve issues between the client, dev team, testing team and quality teams. They are putting in between 10-14 hours each day on this kind of fire fighting, so where does it leave them in learning domain knowledge or even brushing up technical skills?
I come across this kind among my customers who are generally large companies.

Quote:
Its sad to see this hire/fire or rather use and throw policy being practiced by companies, whose sole asset seems to be intellectual capital. When they needed bodies, they hired like mad, now when they don't need so many, they may fire like mad too.
This was discussed few months ago in another thread. I have moved that discussion to this thread starting here (Top most Firing/ Secure IT companies in India) as this seems to be the best thread for it.
Old 9th July 2017, 00:53   #244
Team-BHP Support

I guess most of us are aware of the recent HR fiasco at Tech Mahindra. An employee audio recorded the firing scene and it went viral. At first, I thought they merely botched on the HR process. We know most IT companies have to cut the flab, and such terminations are inevitable. However, when I read the following piece of news, all my sympathies faded.

http://www.thenewsminute.com/article...misation-64870

I believe that when a company is in trouble, the top executives should sacrifice first. Why? Because they get the lion's share of bonus when the company is doing well. But when the company is doing badly, they fire the little guys first? Instead, they should take massive pay cuts to save the little guys. What they did here is unconscionable.
Old 9th July 2017, 07:35   #245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I guess most of us are aware of the recent HR fiasco at Tech Mahindra. An employee audio recorded the firing scene and it went viral. At first, I thought they merely botched on the HR process. We know most IT companies have to cut the flab, and such terminations are inevitable. However, when I read the following piece of news, all my sympathies faded.

http://www.thenewsminute.com/article...misation-64870

I believe that when a company is in trouble, the top executives should sacrifice first. Why? Because they get the lion's share of bonus when the company is doing well. But when the company is doing badly, they fire the little guys first? Instead, they should take massive pay cuts to save the little guys. What they did here is unconscionable.
I had read a similar article about the CEO but it was mentioned that the bulk of his earnings was through stock options which he had been given the previous year. He had encashed it this year and hence the high salary. But even than I do agree that it is the responsibility of the higher management to make sure that the actual revenue earning people of the company do not feel orphaned!
TorqueyTechie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2017, 07:43   #246
Team-BHP Support

CEO compensation is a topic of high emotion and animated debate in the IT industry these days. I agree with Samurai's point about top leaders sacrificing monetary gains for the greater good. At the very least it sends out a very positive message to rank and file. When people are under threat of imminent retrenchment- whether deserved or not- for cost considerations, it seems hypocritical that CXO compensation isn't reviewed at all.
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote