Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 29th April 2008, 11:47   #16
Senior - BHPian

Didn't take much time for them to convert Permanent Sea Loving Vehicle to Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle. Very reliable vehicle.
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2008, 12:45   #17
Senior - BHPian

This is what ISRO is now looking into about sending on to the moon.
Excerpts from TOI from samachar

Publication | Indian Publication News | Indian Publication Aggregator | Regional Publication News | Leading Publications India
VJ_MAVRICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2013, 18:31   #18
Senior - BHPian

Smile re: Hip Hip Hurray ISRO

There was something not-so-normal about the weather in Chennai today : clear blue skies and bright sun (but NOT hot). I was taking a walk ~ 6:00pm in the open area around our office (SIPCOT IT Park , Siruseri, CHENNAI).

Something at the northern horizon attracted my attention. There was a thick contrail. It was looking good against the clear blue skies. But, it didnt seem like the contrail of a normal jet aircraft. Then I tried to take a closer look at the 'aircraft'. It didnt look like a regular aircraft, and it was moving VERY FAST !!! And like regular aircraft, it did not move parallel to the ground, but seemed to be climbing vertically, very fast. And disapperared from view soon. And the remaining contrails had expanded to form thick,snaky, cloud-like patterns.

Back at my desk, googled it out to verify my doubts : and yes, I had just witnessed a satellite launch . Amazing coincidence!

Name:  ISROlaunch25FEB2013.jpg
Views: 594
Size:  37.7 KB

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 25th February 2013 at 18:33.
Blue Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2013, 14:21   #19
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Hip Hip Hurray ISRO

Any chennaites watching the satellite launch from Sriharikota today ?

The Mars Orbiter Mission MOM is scheduled at 14:38 IST today.
Old 5th November 2013, 15:05   #20
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs up re: Hip Hip Hurray ISRO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
...The Mars Orbiter Mission MOM is scheduled at 14:38 IST today.
In spite of the hazy, cloudy skies, was able to see the PSLV streaking throught the sky ! Also, could see the pause in the contrail and thick contrails re-starting as the second stage ignited. Mangalyaan disappeared from sight soon. Bon Voyage !
Old 5th November 2013, 15:11   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post

In spite of the hazy, cloudy skies, was able to see the PSLV streaking throught the sky ! Also, could see the pause in the contrail and thick contrails re-starting as the second stage ignited. Mangalyaan disappeared from sight soon. Bon Voyage !
Indeed a superb effort by ISRO. I just wish we have a space scientist on board here on TeamBHP who could enlighten us more.
BoneCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2013, 15:25   #22
BHPian

Great going ISRO, A proud moment for all of us.
Car-Agey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2013, 15:53   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Indeed a superb effort by ISRO. I just wish we have a space scientist on board here on TeamBHP who could enlighten us more.
TeamBHP never ceases to amaze us!! I am reporting sir (there is even an ex-ISRO scientist amongst us, find his post in my thread). (after a long break though)!! what do you want to know?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/127318-about-rocket-science-engines.html (About Rocket Science & Engines)
AlphaKilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2013, 19:17   #24
BHPian

Default Carrying India to Mars: No mean feat

It has been done folks....I am EXTREMELY proud as an Indian. Contrary to very popular belief that as a country, we are really not going anywhere, well, this is indeed light at the end of the tunnel. We are actually going to Mars. (I know, it is very early, we need to orbit first and all, but still...)

I do not know if this calls for a thread, mods, delete it if inappropriate, but there are engines on that rocket too.

This actually proves, with a bit of goodwill, organized effort and best minds, relevant and timely progress in any field is possible! Jokes on N.a.M.o expanded acronym notwithstanding.

Having said all this, how many of us BHPians think the space program is a justified one? I for one, sure do. Is more of a "heart" feeling than a "head" reasoning. (OT, but I strongly believe, aliens are out there, too...) What do you think of India's scientific community (not the expat one) 20 years hence?

Can someone share more scientific and other relevant details? Links would be great. Are there BHPians working in ISRO who can enlighten us?

Last edited by lapis_lazuli : 5th November 2013 at 19:21.
lapis_lazuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2013, 19:26   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Great job. Successful launch. The media was going about too much power from 1st stage. Folks it is amazing that they are able to manage the soild booster as well as they do. Now a case of sour grapes from Madhavan Nair (of Antrix fame!).
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2013, 20:22   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Great job. Successful launch. The media was going about too much power from 1st stage. Folks it is amazing that they are able to manage the soild booster as well as they do. Now a case of sour grapes from Madhavan Nair (of Antrix fame!).
Not wanting to take this thread away from its intention, I guess the Antrix issue has become fire under the sand! There are several issues with higher negative impact other than this small Antrix debacle (i would like to call it that way!) which I cannot and do not want to discuss here.

With respect to the solid booster staging, there was never a problem with it, as the saying goes, "What does not exist, cannot go wrong!" so their simple working principle (no complex flow control valves or electronics) accounts to their high rate of success albeit a lot of environmentalists are going hoo haa over their usage off-late (in the EU and in other developed space fairing nations with launch capabilities).

The only technology to be proven is the home grown cryo and the semi-cryo engines, which I hope will be proven when the GSLV flies in december. Keeping my fingers crossed for it.
AlphaKilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2014, 15:44   #27
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Hip Hip Hurray ISRO

Another major milestone completed! Engine did wake up after 10 months.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/43150472.cms
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2014, 14:06   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations to ISRO. Wonderful achievement this.
First country to it successfully in its maiden attempt and its the cheapest among all.
Found a couple of interesting pictures

Name:  MOM2.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  110.7 KB
Cheapest mission
Source: The Wall Street Journal (http://blogs.wsj.com/indiarealtime/2...ssion-to-mars/)

Hip Hip Hurray ISRO-mom1.jpg
Comparision between Indian mission and the mission of USA
Source: Facebook (Being Indian page)
hemanth.anand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2014, 14:23   #29
BHPian

Best conversation on Twitter:

Curiosity Rover ‏@MarsCuriosity Namaste, @MarsOrbiter! Congratulations to @ISRO and India's first interplanetary mission upon achieving Mars orbit.

ISRO's Mars OrbiterVerified account ‏@MarsOrbiter

Howdy @MarsCuriosity ? Keep in touch. I'll be around.

Last edited by arun_kun : 24th September 2014 at 14:25.
arun_kun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2014, 21:18   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

I only wish our politicos refrain from petty mindedness on this day of national joy and celebration. The winners are India and the ISRO team, and not petty minded netas.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote