View Poll Results: Should the BRT corridor in New Delhi be scrapped
Yes. The things are not likely to improve much. 30 62.50%
No. Give it some time to improve. 18 37.50%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 1st May 2008, 15:23   #61
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangsta View Post
Many people says Experts made it keeping 100s of points in their mind. Practically its all messed up. Now these experts are looking forward to make the traffic smooth? They can't do it, its impossible man. You know how delhites don't care of lanes and they just change lanes frequently.

In other coutries people do lane driving, but in Delhi? My myself don't believe in lane driving because of the fact that few fools drive at 30-40 kmph speed on high speed lanes and i have to change lanes.

Come on mate We can't change this traffic system in delhi and they need to make plans according to the traffic style of the city.

Traffic cops were always against such projects because they know how traffic regulates.

So basically you saying that the Govt shudn't try and change the way ppl go about on public roads but instead should create a system that allows them to do as they please ??

Delhi roads are full of left - right *******s who think the road is their personal property and have no regards for the others who are following rules but that doesn't mean we all become like that -- why don't we see citizens getting together and holding a dharna forcing ppl to drive in their repsective lanes ??

Also by saying that Sheila Dixit sits in her AC office and makes millions by dumping stupid stuff on the public is a very short sighted vision -- have you seen what shes done for Delhi compared to the ones making millions before her or then again is it that you saying that its ok to sit in the AC office and make millions but without dumping stuff on Delhiites ??

I agree that the BRT may be flawed but then atleast give them kudos for trying to make things easier on the roads ... getting stuck in traffic is something that Delhites should accept as thats part of DEVELOPMENT . So instead of cribbing support it for a while and the idiots who go jumping over the dividers into the bus lanes shud be heavily fined or challaned or maybe their vehicles impounded . That might make them stick to their own lanes -- as trying to get ahead of the jam only leads to a bigger jam . Im sure if they can't sort out the glitches they will scrap it but atleast give them a chance .

A lot was made of the METRO also in its early days .. but somehow I don't see anyone cribbing now . We Indians have a habit of cribbing and want everything laid out for us on a platter by the Govt but in return don't want to do anything to make their ideas work . Its a vicious cycle and depending on which side of the fence you sit on decides on what you think is right or wrong .

So flawed or not flawed ... give it a genuine shot at working and who knows it may just surprise us all .

Cheers
khaadu75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2008, 15:30   #62
Senior - BHPian

Of course, the philosophy about sticking to lanes & all that is highly commendable. Butttttttt.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaadu75 View Post
A lot was made of the METRO also in its early days .. but somehow I don't see anyone cribbing now .
The reason for not cribbing is because now that the construction is over, normalcy has been restored. Same will hold true for all Metro constructions that are now under way - like M G Road , Gurgaon etc.

With the BRT, the chaos has only got worse after it has been completed. And will continue till people actually stop commuting on that stretch.

Not quite apples to apples I'd say.
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2008, 09:14   #63
Senior - BHPian

Here's a picture link from 'nickatnite's "driving through Chennai" thread.
The lane separation can be seen on the display board at the junction.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...-misc2-012.jpg
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2008, 04:36   #64
Senior - BHPian

There have been two bus accidents on the BRT stretch in the last few days. In the first the toes of one person had to be amputated . In the second one, luckily htere were no injuries when a DTC bus poughed thru the barriers at a stop. This corridor was supoaed to make bus travel safer, but the initial evidence is pointing in the opposite direction. I just dread to imagine what will happen in monsoons when the roads are waterloged/damaged and vehicles start breaking down.
rajneeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2008, 07:19   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
There have been two bus accidents on the BRT stretch in the last few days. In the first the toes of one person had to be amputated . In the second one, luckily htere were no injuries when a DTC bus poughed thru the barriers at a stop. This corridor was supoaed to make bus travel safer, but the initial evidence is pointing in the opposite direction. I just dread to imagine what will happen in monsoons when the roads are waterloged/damaged and vehicles start breaking down.
Nothing, Our CM Sheela Dixit will be having Pakodas and Tea in her Office Enjoying the monsoon.
Gangsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2008, 10:07   #66

No positive feedback from the peolple who have been on it... ...god bless people who take the route...
bossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2008, 10:38   #67
BHPian

Thumbs up

One of the few cities in India where BRT can be applied is delhi, we have wide roads and ofcourse a lot of traffic.

BRT has never been easy to implement in any of the international cities(search what Londoners say), but if the system goes from testing stage to complete implementation stage more people may benifit from that. The problem is that like all of you many people see an immediatte reduction in the road space available and this is coupled by the fact that those roads were already fairly congested. But in the long run its going to take a lot of two wheelers and some four wheelers from the road making faster traffic possible. Over time Infrastructure for BRT specifically will develop making bus travelling less tiring and ofcourse safe. This stuff is actually best implemented when the cities are still in growing stage, many Tier II and Tier III cities will surely benefit from it, if implemented now. But finally, it has worked in many cities and will work best in India, where the population density is very high and not all people have cars or chice of buying cars. So what i think is that we surely need to give the governmet some time and let them implement it fully. Once that happens i see this too will be settled and in the back of people's minds like the Metro Rail.

Every time you curse those people who suggested this, consider that its good for the community.

If you ask me what improvement an BRT needs, its an AC and quieter busses. Use AC busses with marginal increase in ticket price, it will see good numbers, quieter buses will come over time.
arunmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2008, 13:39   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaadu75 View Post
So basically you saying that the Govt shudn't try and change the way ppl go about on public roads but instead should create a system that allows them to do as they please ??

Delhi roads are full of left - right *******s who think the road is their personal property and have no regards for the others who are following rules but that doesn't mean we all become like that -- why don't we see citizens getting together and holding a dharna forcing ppl to drive in their repsective lanes ??

Also by saying that Sheila Dixit sits in her AC office and makes millions by dumping stupid stuff on the public is a very short sighted vision -- have you seen what shes done for Delhi compared to the ones making millions before her or then again is it that you saying that its ok to sit in the AC office and make millions but without dumping stuff on Delhiites ??

I agree that the BRT may be flawed but then atleast give them kudos for trying to make things easier on the roads ... getting stuck in traffic is something that Delhites should accept as thats part of DEVELOPMENT . So instead of cribbing support it for a while and the idiots who go jumping over the dividers into the bus lanes shud be heavily fined or challaned or maybe their vehicles impounded . That might make them stick to their own lanes -- as trying to get ahead of the jam only leads to a bigger jam . Im sure if they can't sort out the glitches they will scrap it but atleast give them a chance .

A lot was made of the METRO also in its early days .. but somehow I don't see anyone cribbing now . We Indians have a habit of cribbing and want everything laid out for us on a platter by the Govt but in return don't want to do anything to make their ideas work . Its a vicious cycle and depending on which side of the fence you sit on decides on what you think is right or wrong .

So flawed or not flawed ... give it a genuine shot at working and who knows it may just surprise us all .

Cheers
I don't know from where you belong to. If you belong to delhi, then you must had noticed an incident happened few months back. When there was a strict rules that nobody can change the lanes frequently else a good chalaan for them. I reached my hospital at peak hours without any jams on ring road to toll road. just 1 day rule? Why the hell they are not going for the commercial autos should run them in the extreme left? These slow moving idiots run them in the middle of the road. While going on the flyover, bus and auto runs parallel with 10-20 kmph speed. blocking the whole road. Everywhere roads had been peeled off due to reliance fibres? Why Delhi is facing light problems even after Privatising DESU to BSES? Why Delhi is facing Water Problems?
They pass the bill for making Delhi a paris.. out of 100 crores only 30-40% of the money is been used in the project rest of the money? Please man, Look at china. What they did to maintain the pollution? Awesome job by them, look at their roads, airport everything is like wow now and they did in short span.
Our PM Manmohan Singh said, he wont do anything to stop the pollution as per norms for global warming? Why? Everybody knows why?
Yamuna River In delhi ? It is not better than a "Drain". What our CM is doing for it?
Instead of making roads wider they are going to BRT Dump? Because they can fetch more out of it instead of making roads more wider.

If Delhites would had got better roads infrastructure then wouldnt had been a short tempered on the roads. They gets late for their office. thats why they drive like this and now its because a habit. Because we don't know on which turn we gonna get a good jam.
Gangsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2008, 14:20   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please man, Look at china.
Hats off to you Gangsta! Brave man, to say this!
Indians HATE benchmarking!!
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2008, 15:10   #70
BANNED

Quote:
They pass the bill for making Delhi a paris.. out of 100 crores only 30-40% of the money is been used in the project rest of the money? Please man, Look at china. What they did to maintain the pollution? Awesome job by them, look at their roads, airport everything is like wow now and they did in short span..
Delhi cannot be Paris till the people of Delhi want it to be like that ... the Govt can only put things in place and then its the duty of the citizen to listen and follow . How many people still throw the garbage outside their gates -- whereas there is a dumping place in every colony . As for the money used or not used -- I dunno where you get those figures from .. provide a link to the source if you can .

As for pollution .. I dunno hwo long you lived in this city but anyone whos been here for the past 20 yrs will agree that pollution levels have gone DOWN DRASTICALLY in the past so many years . There was a time when one cudn't go out without their eyes burning but now that aint the case . Im sure this didn't happen due to us citizens suddenly waking up and helping in dropping the pollution levels .

As for the comparison with China ... if someone doesnt listen he is put behind bars for ever -- anyone gets caught cheating the Govt , he is hung -- anyone having more than 1 kid gets ...... !! Wouldnt be great if we also follow these fundas and then maybe the Govt will manage doing what u claim they should do . You want the Govt to widen the ring road to more than what it already is --- do you think the people having house on the sides will allow the Govt to knock their houses down ?? In China they would be knocked down to make wider roads ... Sorry bro , its easier said than done but remember that you should thank the Govt which has done what it already has and not blast them for what they havn't or are trying to do !!

Its easy for us to sit in our AC offices or homes and type what we want to ... try making a difference in your colony and see how you fare . You will get your answer there .

Quote:
If Delhites would had got better roads infrastructure then wouldnt had been a short tempered on the roads. They gets late for their office. thats why they drive like this and now its because a habit. Because we don't know on which turn we gonna get a good jam.
You can only blame the others for this ... drive in your own lanes and see how travel time drops , but we will do what the other does -- he cuts across lanes and you will follow suit . This habit has been in Delhi ever since and an effort will have to be made by the people of Delhi more than the Govt of Delhi . Short temper has got nothing to do with wide roads or narrow roads -- its just a state of mind . LA too has huge jams , probably worse than what we see -- also their public transport system is much worse than ours -- this is not an Indian problem only .

As for where I live ... why should that make a difference ?? But for your info , Ill tell ya that Ive probably logged more driving hours on Delhi roads than anyone out here but then I aint a Delhiite

Cheers

PS - for the temper , just stick to your lane and listen to music . If you still get late , leave 10 mins earlier the next morning and you will be fine .
Old 4th May 2008, 15:17   #71
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
In that case the Highways being built should also be scrapped .. Every highway daily kills number of people and cripples many more . The solution is not scrapping -- maybe the drivers need to be put through a rigorous training schedule before being allowed on these routes . I mean it has to be driver stupidty if he can crash a bus when the entire lane is his and he has no overtaking to do nor does he have the option of giving way to a faster bus behind him .

As for monsoons bit .. that could be a problem but Im sure they will have something worked out by then !! Maybe the bus corridor will work as the Crane strip and the fancy crane may come and simple lift the stranded vehicle and take it to a pre determined spot . There is a solution to everything :-) !!

Cheers
Old 4th May 2008, 17:21   #72
SLK
Senior - BHPian

I don't know if someone mentioned it already....

There is one solution .... put those Yellow Auto's with the busses....

Seriously The question is not whether BRT is good or not... or would be successful or not...

the question is .. is this the best way?

bloody.. hell... for 60Cr rupees.. I can suggest MUCH better ways... for a stretch of 5.4kms!...
SLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2008, 19:10   #73
Senior - BHPian

Well guys - I have not used the BRT but I have a different view.

All of us motorists are sitting and grumbling about the BRT, instead why don't we go out and use it. That will reduce the number of cars on the roads, leading to lesser traffic.

Also once the response gets better obviously the govt will be forced to introduce more buses on the dedicated lanes - utilising the lanes better and better.

I also read comments like "who expects people to walk a few hundred meters to walk across the over bridges" and "let's scrap the BRT because the bus banged into the metal barricade (never mind that the pedestrian was at fault)" - we the people have to go out there and at least give the BRT a fair trial. We need to have the attitude to make this happen.

Even when the Metro was being built there were sceptics but now look at the way each and every Delhi walla takes pride in the Metro. It has reduced the travel drastically and people from all walks of life have taken to it.

I would love to have the BRT in Mumbai - the bigger problem in Mumbai is relocating the squatters and hawkers from the streets, which is not as big a problem in Delhi. Once the BRT startss in Mumbai - I would be in line to take the bus to work.

Maybe all this might not make sense but I feel the people have to give the BRT a fair chance.
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2008, 19:30   #74
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
All of us motorists are sitting and grumbling about the BRT, instead why don't we go out and use it. That will reduce the number of cars on the roads, leading to lesser traffic.

Even when the Metro was being built there were sceptics but now look at the way each and every Delhi walla takes pride in the Metro. It has reduced the travel drastically and people from all walks of life have taken to it.
How to use a 5.4kms of stretch of road which starts and ends in the middle on nowhere!

If one were to use the busses... one can use it anyways!... how about everyone in team-bhp... leave their cars for BRT and metro!.. AND mumbai local trains!

While metro was being built... no one said that it would be a failure!... yes it was a discomfort for a few months... and everyone complained about the discomfort and not the metro project itself!

We just needed some traffic discipline... specially from the busses!... and guess what... we have been squeezed into a corner

Everyone here who's pro BRT.. is thinking... yes if BRT works.. there will be less traffic.. and better place for driving their cars...

PS: This is Indian traffic scene!... is 'Shifting Gears' the right place?.. maybe!

Last edited by SLK : 4th May 2008 at 19:34.
SLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2008, 20:32   #75
BHPian

The main reason motorists are fuming because all of a sudden they lose close to 33% space that they used and all of a sudden they see the traffic conditions go hay wire, every body panics and no body waits for the other leading to even poorer use of the road, so essentially all you road users have lost about 50% of the road that existed before. They will even more annoyed because you spent lakhs of rupees buying your car and keeping at home to take a bus is an superb waste of investment. It will also mean lot more work and discomfort. The users start to feel where this is all going and realize that their comfort is being consumed by these busses. Frustration, pain and losses cannot be avoided here, this is why it is best to implement in growing cities.

The fact of the matter is this, what ever time you are taking to cover the 5.3km streach is what you would take to cover after next 4-5 years time. But say thanks to NANO, because you will reach that situation in the next 1.5 years even if the BRT were not introduced. Now with the BRT fully implemented, People will be able to travel fastest by the these busses and thus will avoid buying cars. Bike commuters are certain to embrace this, as the main reason they adopt bike would be comfurt in timings.

If you fast forward by three years in Delhi, you will see what we mean by the roads will become better. The number of vehicle on this particular streach will be lesser than what it is at this point, you will be able to travel faster than what you were doing without the BRT in place as there will not be many slow moving bikes cris-crossing you, slow and polluting busses will no longer bother you or threaten to kill you, for the first ever time they will be driving on their own lanes, at what ever speed they wish. Lots of commuters lives will be saved as a 7-9 ton mamoth need not be running amock in between 100kg ants or 1-2ton animals. Think this happens all over Delhi, who is the happier person? I know you have to wait for three years to see all this, but you will start to see benifits after one year, though they might not be directly visible, as there will be severly lesser than expected number NANO's at this particular streach. Ever wondered how newbie's will drive their brand new worlds cheapest and smallest car, they will try to fit it into unimaginable places at unimaginable angles(remember they are used to driving bikes).

Now if you did not have the BRT after three years, you will still be where you are now, but just shouting out loud that our government is making enough infrastructure provisions. Ever increasing petrol prices will pinch you hard, and you will not have any healthy alternatives.

Just consider all this, this is not a scarce, but reality, i have seen it happen in Bangalore, i downright feel that you can reach your destination faster here in some roads by walking, if you have the energy. If you want an example try Airport road at 9 AM.

The sad part is these busses will be owned by our infamous netas, who may use it as an advantage if we become too dependent on them. Providing high quality life for middle class people is probably last on their list.
arunmur is offline   Reply With Quote