Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 8th January 2013, 11:25   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Travel & Booking Websites : Experiences, Queries etc.

Being bumped off is more common on airlines so when it comes to hotels it is a little bit of shock. Never the less it does happen to qute a few people, not just to you and me.

Find below one such case which hit the headlines then. Link is from India Today but it was widely reported elsewhere as well. Again reason for this case can be many...

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/i.../1/133883.html.

vasnthn21, I do agree with you about responsibilty etc, but while consumer protection laws are good in India, there is still a long way to go compared to many other countries. Knowing all that a little caution from your end does not hurt. As for saying the portal in question is unprofessional, the feedback in this merged thread seems to indicate that opinion is divided on that score and it may be one of the better ones around.

My advice still remains the same. In peak travel times (and that includes Singapore as well in periods like Chinese New Year), it pays to cross check your booking directly with the hotel if made through an intermediary.
TKMCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2013, 11:46   #32
BHPian

Thanks folks. I guess this not as uncommon as i thought. I need to be bit careful in future. Well, this will serve me a good reminder always

Coming to actions, I have posted my review in few online review forums and submitted this to Council For Fair Business Practices (http://ccrc.in/index.php).

Also, planning to post this on http://www.nationalconsumerhelpline.in/ if I do not see a response from above.
windsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2015, 02:02   #33
BHPian

Friends
I have booked hotel rooms through GOIBIBO with steep discount. Will it be honored?
I am scared after reading the stories here.
blorebuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2015, 11:43   #34
Senior - BHPian

Any idea about sites like kayak, flightnetwork, tripsta show me nearly 40-50% less than what I am seeing on Cleartrip/yatra/makemytrip.

Are these site legit?
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2015, 19:02   #35
BHPian

Frankly, I'd rather book directly with the airlines or the hotel. Last year I had booked a double room in the Karnataka Tourism hotel in Bijapur through one of the travel portals, because it offered a discount as compared to the official rate.

However, on arrival after driving all the way from Mumbai, I was told by the management that only a single room had been reserved. The manager was kind enough to accommodate both me and my wife, but for the record made me sign the register for only one person.

Appears that the portal was fudging to offer a discount without its commission being affected.
Zezé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2015, 14:02   #36
Senior - BHPian

Yeah, so I decided to take a plunge and tried to book, it turns out that just before the final payment the site says that tickets not available at the listed prices!

Surprisingly this phenomenon (about 50% less price) occurred only for the Jet Airway flights. For the rest of the operators, all websites showed nearly the same price for the flights.

Ultimately I got exasperated and booked directly via Flight website.
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2015, 11:40   #37
BHPian

Default Re: My bad experience with TravelGuru.com

Wow. team bhp has some many interesting threads under shifting gears.
I had the same experience with travelguru. Every time I called, travelguru assured its confirmed. The hotel guys kept telling us it was not reserved for us. Finally we reached the hotel, who told the whole hotel was booked for some wedding. to our surprise, travelguru insisted we take refund. they didnt even have the courtesy to arrange some hotel. finally after a lot of calls, they arranged a below average hotel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKMCE View Post
Looks straight forward. The entire property was booked out for the wedding. Either the hotel didnt inform Travelguru or Travelguru ddnt block out the dates from their system Either way, end result, you suffered. These things can happen.
But again as a mattter of good practice especially on ultra peak dates like the ones you travelled, it is better that you reconfirm your bookings directly with the hotel. Let me again repeat, for some of the smaller independent properties the electronic booking confirmations may not be always seamless as you think. Not speaking about any specific property or portal.
adithya.kp is offline   Reply With Quote