Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 19th February 2005, 18:03   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Touge Special - from Hubli!!! (Pics Included)

These pics are from a small hill in Hubli called the "Nrupatunga". For most people, it's a quiet place where they can come, take a walk, relax, have a good time with thier family and go back. I do it too, or rather........ I used to.

Even now, this place brings a smile on my face but, for a totally different reason.!!

I call it my "Touge", which means "Pass" (as in Mountain pass), in Japanese.

What makes this place special is that on a hot summers afternoon, the place is literally deserted. Reason being that this road leads nowhere, it just goes up and comes down. So, you can't possible reach anywhere using this stretch, that explains the deserted-ness of it. LOL

A nice stretch of tarmac, with mindblowing turns, hairpin bends, no people or animals around and there you are, sitting in your car with a warmed up engine and tyres, as sticky as they get...................can you see where i'm heading here, eh?? I bet you do.

But here's the catch, i never ripp when i'm climbing the hill. Nah, that's not me......i do it.....on the way down!!!!!

So, it would make perfect sense to start my story, from the top of the hill.

Here goes.....

Before i start showing you the roads, let me gie you an idea as to how high this hill actually is.

This is what the city looks like from the point where the "Touge" starts.

This is the dead end point on the hill, it's a small platform like thing, more like a helipad.

And this is the other side of it

Now behind the car, you can see the first strecth of the run down.

Here's a better view.

This is the 2 stretch where you can see that the road isn't even, there are ups and downs where a car (if driven fast enuf) can lift off the ground, completely.

This is the view from that point

Now this is where it gets tricky. From here on, you'll be descending atleast 10-15 ft per sec.

Here's a view from the bottom end of the downhill stretch

Diff angle
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2005, 18:05   #2
Senior - BHPian

Continued.............

Now, the toughest part of the "Touge" is to be able to break down the speed you'd have gathered ripping down the slope, so that you can make this 90+ deg turn.

Another view

Any understeer here will send you all the way down these steps.

Make that turn and this is where you'll be heading.

View from the bottom of the stretch

But don't relax as yet, coz here comes the hairpin bend!!!

This pic should give you an idea as to how intense this turn is. As you can see, it doesn't just turn 180 degs but loses a lot of altitude in the process..

The U turn brings you onto this stretch.

Which keeps descending...........

This a view from midway down the stretch

As you can see by now, we're not very far from ground zero.

And a little furthur ahead, the finish line. But actually by this time i'd have cut down to around 30-40 kmph reason being that the intersection and the speed bump (which you can see slighty ahead with the white markings), can be very dangerous.

Let me make one thing clear that i never go flat out on any off these stretches, as it's not smart or safe to do so. This review, was not meant to encourage street racing of any sort. You don't have to be rash to be fast. Keep it calm, keep it smooth and nobody will get into trouble.

Map Of Touge

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 19th February 2005 at 21:08.
Old 19th February 2005, 18:39   #3
Team-BHP Support

From your pics, it looks like they're planning to do up that place. Planting trees etc. Once they are through with the road it'll be a nice driving stretch. They can widen the road also cause the've lot of space on the both side.
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2005, 20:22   #4
zen
BHPian

Beautiful write-up. Those 1000 words between every sentence say it all!

Theres a similar stretch at Parsik hills at New Bby.. a few more hairpins there though.
zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2005, 21:16   #5
BHPian

Nice pics and good writeup about the place, it looks quite aventurous and interesting.
sridhar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2005, 22:05   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Theres a similar stretch at Parsik hills at New Bby.. a few more hairpins there though.
Why don't you do a similar review on that one.

I liked the turns on Pali Hill but, it's too damn congested for any sort of spirited driving.

U know, once when me n Kokaine had gone to Jaggat's office (after the last hill climb in 2001 or 2002) i actually mentioned this hill to him, he seemed interested but let down the idea as Hubli would have been an odd place to hold any event and the there are far too many houses surrounding that hill so getting permission would have been impossible.

But if you wanna test your car, it's a good place. Requires a slightly soft suspenssion setup though.

Shan2nu
Old 20th February 2005, 00:18   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
From your pics, it looks like they're planning to do up that place. Planting trees etc. Once they are through with the road it'll be a nice driving stretch. They can widen the road also cause the've lot of space on the both side.
Yup, they're working on the road. Once it's done, it'll be a dream to drive on. By then, i should have my new tyres, ready for some action.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 20th February 2005 at 10:06.
Old 20th February 2005, 07:58   #8
Team-BHP Support

Hey Shan2nu, that's not my quote..

I suppose you were too excited with your drawings and explanations..
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2005, 10:08   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey Shan2nu, that's not my quote..

I suppose you were too excited with your drawings and explanations..
Haha yeah, i kinda mixed up the speedrun quote with your reply. : LOL

But if this is here, what did i quote on the speedrun thread??? Woah!!, lemme check.....

Shan2nu
Old 20th February 2005, 21:56   #10
Senior - BHPian

woah! i want to go to hubli!

how far is hubli from b'lore, and how are the roads?

viper
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2005, 19:40   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
how far is hubli from b'lore, and how are the roads?
Well, Hubli is around 410 kms from Blore. The roads are pretty good. The Golden Quadrilateral isn't completely finished but around 125-150kms of that stretch is done.

Shan2nu