Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2009, 11:23   #1576
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 3,079
Thanked: 251 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP View Post
shankar...is this a fact ?
Indeed, is this true?
How come the weight difference is not reflected in the specs of the two models?
anupmathur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2009, 15:37   #1577
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 1,457
Thanked: 9 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default

well i dont own one but a friend does own used to own older gen and now newer, he does keep saying that older one was better built and better metal used then new gen scorpio may be to offer better FE results then before?
vijaythacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2009, 19:30   #1578
Senior - BHPian
 
raj_5004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dubai/Mumbai
Posts: 5,074
Thanked: 2,015 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaythacker View Post
well i dont own one but a friend does own used to own older gen and now newer, he does keep saying that older one was better built and better metal used then new gen scorpio may be to offer better FE results then before?
even i agree to this. my older non-CRDe scorpio which has crossed 1.5 lakh kms has no rattles & squeaks compared to my mHawk which is just 20,000 kms old. the older ones are definietely better built.
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2009, 20:50   #1579
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 3,079
Thanked: 251 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
.... the older ones are definietely better built.
Better built. But that does not translate to thicker gauge of metal!
The difference should reflect in the unladen weight of the vehicle. It does not.
anupmathur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2009, 22:11   #1580
Senior - BHPian
 
raj_5004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dubai/Mumbai
Posts: 5,074
Thanked: 2,015 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Better built. But that does not translate to thicker gauge of metal!
The difference should reflect in the unladen weight of the vehicle. It does not.
Nopes. I just feel that the older ones are better built, I do not think that the older ones have thicker sheet metal compared to its new siblings. Infact even the newer ones seem equally 'strong', if i may use that word.

BTW, rejoice guys! scorpio is finally out with a 4WD!!!
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2009, 07:12   #1581
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,053
Thanked: 5,304 Times
Default

my 2008 scorpio crde just feels a bit 'tinny' in comparison to my neighbours 2004 scorpio regular turbo

if you knock your knuckle on the rear 3 quarter of the car - the c pillar in fact near the tall braking lamps and the rear side window in the new scorpio and in the older one, you will clearly appreciate what i am saying
however, ive not checked about the un laden weight.

to me what seems plausible is that they've lightened the new scorpio a bit in order to ensure it has better pickup, performance and acceleration, along with its new, more powerful engine.

somehow, my instinct always tells me that the older scorpio's feel tougher - its something intangible but i am 100% sure that my instinct is correct on this.

you guys also could check and share your impressions..
cheers
sb

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP View Post
shankar...is this a fact ?
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2009, 08:34   #1582
Senior - BHPian
 
raj_5004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dubai/Mumbai
Posts: 5,074
Thanked: 2,015 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganesh_bbr View Post
Hi Folks,

My uncle wants to buy a new scorpio. However confused which one to go for as he wants a decent mileage.

Mahindra scorpio 2.6 Crde ?
Mahindra scropio 2.2 mHawk ?

He wanted a good comfortable one with atleast 12 Kmpl in city.

Could you please help me in suggesting the best for him ?

Thanks in advance
hi ganesh, the CRDe is now available in scorpio SLX variant with 4WD or the mahindra getaway.

since your uncle wants a decent mileage, tell him to opt for the mHawk. the SLE is great value for money & the VLX comes loaded with electronics, your call.
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2009, 08:37   #1583
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 3,079
Thanked: 251 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganesh_bbr View Post
He wanted a good comfortable one with atleast 12 Kmpl in city.
That totally rules out the 2.6 CRDe.
Wonder if the mHawks can give 12 kmpl in city runs?
anupmathur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2009, 08:41   #1584
Senior - BHPian
 
raj_5004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dubai/Mumbai
Posts: 5,074
Thanked: 2,015 Times
Default

I live in mumbai & my neighbour who owns a mHawk says he gets 12 kmpl with 75% AC. but he drives when there is little traffic on the road, that is early mornings.

I drive at peak hours & with 100% AC & i have not crossed the 10 kmpl mark till now!
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2009, 09:11   #1585
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 3,079
Thanked: 251 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
I drive at peak hours & with 100% AC & i have not crossed the 10 kmpl mark till now!
...and usually lower! Anyone looking for 12 kmpl in-city had best not be looking for a Scorpio.
anupmathur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2009, 09:24   #1586
NIP
Senior - BHPian
 
NIP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,147
Thanked: 80 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
my 2008 scorpio crde just feels a bit 'tinny' in comparison to my neighbours 2004 scorpio regular turbo

if you knock your knuckle on the rear 3 quarter of the car - the c pillar in fact near the tall braking lamps and the rear side window in the new scorpio and in the older one, you will clearly appreciate what i am saying
however, ive not checked about the un laden weight.

to me what seems plausible is that they've lightened the new scorpio a bit in order to ensure it has better pickup, performance and acceleration, along with its new, more powerful engine.

somehow, my instinct always tells me that the older scorpio's feel tougher - its something intangible but i am 100% sure that my instinct is correct on this.

you guys also could check and share your impressions..
cheers
sb
Somehow, I also feel the newer scorpios feel 'tinny'. Mine is a '04 non-crde and its built like a battletank. No fuel injection, no fancy electronics and absolutely no rattles from anywhere in the vehicle.
NIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2009, 14:07   #1587
Senior - BHPian
 
tanwaramit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Dilwalon ki Dilli
Posts: 1,888
Thanked: 330 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
BTW, rejoice guys! scorpio is finally out with a 4WD!!!
Hi Raj, are you talking about mHawk here ? Else wasnt there 4WD available already ? Not sure, am asking, I checked on the site too, cant find anything new there.
tanwaramit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2009, 14:27   #1588
BHPian
 
ram.west's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 418
Thanked: 20 Times
Post

@tanwaramit: yes, the 4wd Scorpio with the MHawk engine is now available.
ram.west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2009, 16:23   #1589
Senior - BHPian
 
tanwaramit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Dilwalon ki Dilli
Posts: 1,888
Thanked: 330 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram.west View Post
@tanwaramit: yes, the 4wd Scorpio with the MHawk engine is now available.
Hey, thats great news. Any source for that info ? Couldnt see this on mahindra site, can you paste relevant information on this please ?
tanwaramit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2009, 16:32   #1590
BHPian
 
Fortuner71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Mysore
Posts: 389
Thanked: 262 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
Hey, thats great news. Any source for that info ? Couldnt see this on mahindra site, can you paste relevant information on this please ?
VLX -BSIII-4WD992800
The price from the website , Sireesh Auto confirmed this and Iam awaiting a call .
Fortuner71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
All T-BHP Sierra Owners with Pics of their Bull vishnu7185 The Indian Car Scene 239 8th August 2016 23:00
All T-BHP Bolero Owners with Pics of their SUV innerkarma Shifting gears 198 22nd July 2016 21:27
All Team-BHP Fortuner Owners with Pics of their SUV Manuuj The Indian Car Scene 5 20th January 2010 13:59


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 21:38.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks