Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


View Poll Results: Stocks as a percentage of my net assets are -
0 - 25% -- I'm like the most conservative Indians. I love FDs. 219 32.02%
26 - 50% -- I have a few stocks. 302 44.15%
51 - 75% -- I'm an active trader. 113 16.52%
76 - 100% -- Hey, I'm an i-banker!!! 50 7.31%
Voters: 684. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2011, 01:21   #1816
Senior - BHPian
 
recshenoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mangalore / Bangalore
Posts: 1,055
Thanked: 90 Times
Default Re: Do you play the stock market

i guess with market falling in last one months all investors,traders are silently watching. when market raises again, people will come back saying "oh man! i should have bought the stocks when it was low" and as usual when retail starts participating, market will start falling
recshenoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2011, 11:06   #1817
Senior - BHPian
 
pjbiju's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Karamattom, Aluva, Kotagiri, Yercaud, Hospet, Indore, Nashik, Pune (now)
Posts: 1,167
Thanked: 433 Times
Default Re: Do you play the stock market

Is there any sense in accumulating NHPC? I have a few that I got during the IPO and then had bought a few more. However it has not been doing well at all. Does it have a long term potential to do well, say over the next 2-3 years?
pjbiju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2011, 11:23   #1818
BHPian
 
JMaruru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 517
Thanked: 97 Times
Unhappy Re: Do you play the stock market

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
Is there any sense in accumulating NHPC? I have a few that I got during the IPO and then had bought a few more. However it has not been doing well at all. Does it have a long term potential to do well, say over the next 2-3 years?
Well, broadly all the stocks are falling as if there is no bottom. From what i hear on these channels, consensus is that second half of this year would be much better. Fingers crossed!

In particular, NHPC being in capital intensive business and what with the cost of capital raising, you might have to hold out for longer to see better days.
JMaruru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2011, 14:50   #1819
Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: ............
Posts: 3,261
Thanked: 4,207 Times
Default Re: Do you play the stock market

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
I am not the lucky one among 71 out of 93 to get 50 shares allotted in Punjab&Sind Bank IPO.
I just now bought 100 shares of Punjab&Sind Bank [PSB] using my Kotak Securities online trading account, which I missed to get allotment during IPO, at Rs 99 each as against Rs 114, allotted price for RII. I will be buying more shares of PSB during further dip in the share price.
J.Ravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2011, 14:53   #1820
BHPian
 
Neilguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 172
Thanked: 51 Times
Default Re: Do you play the stock market

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
I just now bought 100 shares of Punjab&Sind Bank [PSB] using my Kotak Securities online trading account, which I missed to get allotment during IPO, at Rs 99 each as against Rs 114, allotted price for RII. I will be buying more shares of PSB during further dip in the share price.
Way to rub salt in our already bleeding wounds
Just hope that the price doesn't fall any further than this!
Neilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2011, 16:36   #1821
Senior - BHPian
 
MileCruncher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,985
Thanked: 351 Times
Default Re: Do you play the stock market

I received this in mail from an esteemed member here in the forum called Ravveendrra. Here it goes

Quote:
A cold winter!

It was autumn, and the Red Indians asked their New Chief if the winter was going
to be cold or mild. Since he was a Red Indian chief in a modern society, he
couldn't tell what the weather was going to be.

Nevertheless, to be on the safe side, he replied to his Tribe that the winter
was indeed going to be cold and that the members of the village should collect
wood to be prepared. But also being a practical leader, after several days he
got an idea. He went to the phone booth, called the National Weather Service
and asked 'Is the coming winter going to be cold?'

'It looks like this winter is going to be quite cold indeed,' the weather man
responded.

So the Chief went back to his people and told them to collect even more wood. A
week later, he called the National Weather Service again. 'Is it going to be a
very cold winter?'
'Yes,' the man at National Weather Service again replied, 'It's definitely going
to be a very cold winter.'

The Chief again went back to his people and ordered them to collect every scrap
of wood they could find.

Two weeks later, he called the National Weather Service again.
'Are you absolutely sure that the winter is going to be very cold?'
'Absolutely,' The man replied. 'It's going to be one of the coldest winters
ever.'

'How can you be so sure?' the Chief asked.
The weatherman replied, 'The Red Indians are collecting wood like crazy.'

This is how stock markets work!!!

BTW any idea for the crash of Reliance Infra
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2011, 16:46   #1822
BHPian
 
Neilguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 172
Thanked: 51 Times
Default Re: Do you play the stock market

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
I received this in mail from an esteemed member here in the forum called Ravveendrra. Here it goes

BTW any idea for the crash of Reliance Infra
Very articulately put .
Btw, why did Rel Comm crash too? I think there's something wrong with all ADAG stocks!

Rel Infra -> -18.79%
Rel Comm -> -14.32%
Rel Cap -> -14.05%
Rel Power -> -8.93%
Neilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2011, 16:59   #1823
BHPian
 
inder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: nagpur
Posts: 280
Thanked: 32 Times
Default Re: Do you play the stock market

People is it time for bottom fishing??
If so what kind of fish in particular.
inder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2011, 17:03   #1824
Senior - BHPian
 
MileCruncher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,985
Thanked: 351 Times
Default Re: Do you play the stock market

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilguy View Post
Very articulately put .
For the very same reason one should never buy /sell any of the recommended stocks listed on ET on that given day.
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2011, 17:42   #1825
mkh
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,071
Thanked: 103 Times
Default Re: Do you play the stock market

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilguy View Post
Very articulately put .
Btw, why did Rel Comm crash too? I think there's something wrong with all ADAG stocks!

Rel Infra -> -18.79%
Rel Comm -> -14.32%
Rel Cap -> -14.05%
Rel Power -> -8.93%
There is a rumour going around market circles for a few days that CBI enquiry etc may come into ADAG and Anil may face action. Today he had a meeting with Telecom Minister, must be impact of some rumour floating after that, it seems that some enquiry into the results reported in his stocks has been asked for. Nothing is certain but these are enough in this negative sentiment to kill any stock. Deep hits, Rel Infra may become interesting in another 20% fall probably.
Panic may come soon with margin calls getting triggered, as still long positions are not getting closed off due to margin pressures.
mkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2011, 18:57   #1826
BHPian
 
carlosTHEjackal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 88
Thanked: 26 Times
Default Re: Do you play the stock market

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilguy View Post
Very articulately put .
Btw, why did Rel Comm crash too? I think there's something wrong with all ADAG stocks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
Anil may face action.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
Nothing is certain but these are enough in this negative sentiment to kill any stock. Deep hits, Rel Infra may become interesting in another 20% fall probably.
All this was due to the rumors that Anil Ambani may be arrested within a week. Hence all ADAG companies tanked.
carlosTHEjackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2011, 17:43   #1827
SDP
Team-BHP Support
 
SDP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,660
Thanked: 7,508 Times
Default Re: Do you play the stock market

Was trying to understand how Options work. I do understand how Futures work, was trying to co-relate and I am getting confused.

I was referring to a PDF that HDFC Bank uses internally.
During introduction it mentions:
"Futures have unlimited profit and loss potential.
Options have limited risk and unlimited profit potential."


So I was like, this is better than Futures. I mean, who wouldn't prefer limited risk and unlimited profit potential?

Then I read on and found the following a few pages later:
"Call-Option-Buyer -> Limited losses, potentially unlimited gain.
Call-Option-Writer (Seller) -> Potentially unlimited losses, limited gain

Put-Option-Buyer -> Limited losses, potentially unlimited gain
Put-Option-Writer (Seller) -> Potentially unlimited losses, limited gain"

Can anybody with experience explain this possibly with an example? Or point me to some material which explains this better?

Thanks - SDP
SDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2011, 18:15   #1828
Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: ............
Posts: 3,261
Thanked: 4,207 Times
Default Re: Do you play the stock market

Yesterday, I bought 10 shares of Axis Bank @ Rs 1150, and today, 100 shares of IRB Infrastructure Developers @ Rs 148.
J.Ravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2011, 19:32   #1829
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 4
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: Do you play the stock market

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Was trying to understand how Options work. I do understand how Futures work, was trying to co-relate and I am getting confused.

I was referring to a PDF that HDFC Bank uses internally.
During introduction it mentions:
"Futures have unlimited profit and loss potential.
Options have limited risk and unlimited profit potential."


So I was like, this is better than Futures. I mean, who wouldn't prefer limited risk and unlimited profit potential?

Then I read on and found the following a few pages later:
"Call-Option-Buyer -> Limited losses, potentially unlimited gain.
Call-Option-Writer (Seller) -> Potentially unlimited losses, limited gain

Put-Option-Buyer -> Limited losses, potentially unlimited gain
Put-Option-Writer (Seller) -> Potentially unlimited losses, limited gain"

Can anybody with experience explain this possibly with an example? Or point me to some material which explains this better?

Thanks - SDP
Arre bhai, options humare bas ki baat nahi hai. Leave it.

As for your question, writing an option is the same as futures. You have to make good the difference that the premium moves.

In call buying, you paya premium of say 50 rs. And in call writing, you GET the premium of 50 Rs.

In the buying part, if the market fallls by 500 points, you forget your 50 RS and thats your maximum loss. But in call writing, you have to make good that 500 points to the person who purchased the call from you, in other words, the person who paid you 50 Rs.
Altaf Petiwala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2011, 14:27   #1830
vsh
BHPian
 
vsh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: sirsi
Posts: 102
Thanked: 9 Times
Default Re: Do you play the stock market

@sdp- options present a completely different and fantastic trading strategies. it looks complicated and difficult to understand at first but once you know you can use them effectively. dont worry about the unlimited risk in writing the options. you can always cover your positions when it goes against you. if you are a disciplined trader and know the importance of stops then you can enter options.
vsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stock Steering Wheel with Audio Controls Connected to After Market Headunit? Epic In-Car Entertainment 34 24th July 2014 12:36
Stock Market - Technical Analyis Tutorial carboy Shifting gears 5 24th June 2011 23:28
Games you can play at office (Flash / browser based) Spinnerr Shifting gears 24 23rd September 2010 20:37


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:41.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks