0 - 25% -- I'm like the most conservative Indians. I love FDs. 224 31.95%
26 - 50% -- I have a few stocks. 313 44.65%
51 - 75% -- I'm an active trader. 114 16.26%
76 - 100% -- Hey, I'm an i-banker!!! 50 7.13%
Voters: 701. You may not vote on this poll

Old 1st June 2011, 19:57   #1876
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Do you play the stock market

Will the real Morgan Stanley please stand up?

Sensex may rise 19%; remain buyers of Indian equities: Morgan Stanley - The Economic Times
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2011, 20:06   #1877
BHPian

Don't trust those TV channels experts, they are On-Air cause they paid for it.
Thats a ugly truth, someone told me they are bidding to win that time slots.

Better learn some technical+fundamentals and trade with Stop Loss you can bear.
don't wait for a 1000 rupee share to come down to 700 and then wait for it to do wonders.
If you happen to get stuck on top, EXIT, when it breaks some important levels and check the levels once you see some strong support zone and stock giving it respect, re-enter, this way you save your capital and have more chances of profit.

Most people get trapped with stocks purchased at their Highest Levels.
I ask Did you guys saw GOD in dreams to catch it on the TOP and then curse the stock market.

for non-daily traders its best to buy in bulk when market is down, and sell when its on Peak, do this with small capital and you'll start loving your own way of trading.

can post more but need to watch my MCX trade :-)

Anyone here interested in MCX Trading (OIL + Base Metals) ?
ghpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2011, 23:45   #1878
vsh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post

can post more but need to watch my MCX trade :-)

Anyone here interested in MCX Trading (OIL + Base Metals) ?
yes, i recently started trading in MCX. what are the sites/magazines you refer for information and reports?
vsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2011, 01:04   #1879
Senior - BHPian

totally agree here. definitely no experts who can predict. i believe stock market can be played with experience better than by expertise.

BTW, yeah ITC rocks. slow and steady stock. it might go up by 1-2% on a good day (3% yestrday was exceptional after 7% raise on budget day) but will not fall by 2-3 percent even on a bad day. i really like that stock. today its at 52 week high of 195

PS: from the day i bought ITC, i have started eating bingo chips /sun feast biscuits. contributing to that company as a share holder
recshenoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2011, 14:02   #1880

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
totally agree here. definitely no experts who can predict. i believe stock market can be played with experience better than by expertise.

BTW, yeah ITC rocks. slow and steady stock. it might go up by 1-2% on a good day (3% yestrday was exceptional after 7% raise on budget day) but will not fall by 2-3 percent even on a bad day. i really like that stock. today its at 52 week high of 195

PS: from the day i bought ITC, i have started eating bingo chips /sun feast biscuits. contributing to that company as a share holder
Stock Markets can be played ONLY be professionals. Rest come along just to make sure the kids of those professionals go to good schools

The only way for non professional traders is via SIP in mutual funds over a long period of time.
Altaf Petiwala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2011, 18:57   #1881
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Was the other way around for me. I never smoke - so never looked at tobacco stocks. But after looking at couple of trash packets from my kitchen, it stuck me that the ITC logo is turning up in quite a few times. The rest, they say, is history. I had purchased it at around 140 levels. Sold a few and still am holding more than the numbers I purchased, and average cost of the remaining shares is 90 ish. (go figure that out).

BTW, I would like to give a piece of my mind to the guy who decided Bingo's flavour. It is only product we are yet to buy from ITC's FMCG stable.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2011, 20:39   #1882
BHPian

Quote:
The only way for non professional traders is via SIP in mutual funds over a long period of time.
Couldnt agree more.. I am mostly in Mutual funds although a small exposure in stocks as well. If you dont know how to drive, you hire a chauffer! Same logic applies. Regular reader on valueresearchonline.com and look largely to invest in the 5* or the 4* rated ones.

Direct stocks - only one in auto and thats Maruti. It hasnt given me much in the last 4+ yrs. With competition chasing it, its probably a good time to get out I guess..

I have never believed in the TV guys. They are only interested in your money for their interests.. Except for very, very few genuine guys. Those types which have typically attained a lot and want to share their experience more than stock pics! I used to like RD360 on CNBC - dunno what happened to it!
Equus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2011, 20:56   #1883
BHPian

Quote:
Most FMCG stocks have touched lifetime highs today!! Is anyone booking profits, atleast partially?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post

Direct stocks - only one in auto and thats Maruti. It hasnt given me much in the last 4+ yrs. With competition chasing it, its probably a good time to get out I guess..
Tata Motors is a better bet in the Auto sector, I feel, with Jaguar n Range Rover doing their best ever sales under Tata.

Last edited by Eddy : 2nd June 2011 at 22:11. Reason: Please use the edit / multiquote option instead of posting back to back posts within 30 mins. Thanks.
Cayman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2011, 21:37   #1884
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayman360 View Post
Tata Motors is a better bet in the Auto sector, I feel, with Jaguar n Range Rover doing their best ever sales under Tata.
Its expensive for my (inspired by Ben Graham) liking. Their domestic business is going down (the drain), and the JLR has had its honeymoon. Sure it will do well, but I dont anticipate the next couple yrs to be as stunning as the last couple!

Nevertheless, seems better bet than Maruti
Equus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2011, 01:34   #1885
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayman360 View Post
Most FMCG stocks have touched lifetime highs today!! Is anyone booking profits, at least partially?
yeah! with news of diesel price hike around the corner, commodity might get expensive resulting lower bottom line for FMCG . so even i am thinking if its right time to sell off.

asif sir, yes i agree that non professional traders have to leave it to professionals to make decent gains. but hey i got ITC at 140 level and today its 195, not a bad gain in 6-8 months. yeah i do agree that IT shares aren't doing great. and all thanks to my stupidity(tried doing COAL india with MOIL ) but MOIL hitting 52 week high as frequently as possible
recshenoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2011, 11:21   #1886

Quote:
yeah! with news of diesel price hike around the corner, commodity might get expensive resulting lower bottom line for FMCG . so even i am thinking if its right time to sell off.

asif sir, yes i agree that non professional traders have to leave it to professionals to make decent gains. but hey i got ITC at 140 level and today its 195, not a bad gain in 6-8 months. yeah i do agree that IT shares aren't doing great. and all thanks to my stupidity(tried doing COAL india with MOIL ) but MOIL hitting 52 week high as frequently as possible
Its Altaf....
And its not about gains. Suppose someone invests in stocks, and times it wrong, takes a loss and decides stock market is not his cup of tea and decides never to dabble in the market again.

What has happened is that he has unknowingly shut the doors on his a very lucrative investment option, that could have been achieved via SIP in mutual funds. An X amount invested per month over 10 years, irrespective of market conditions can turn into a very profitable venture.

I have seen this in hundreds of cases. Where people have abandoned the stock markets because of a few badly timed investments
Old 3rd June 2011, 12:19   #1887

If anyone wants to meet up in Pune for a coffee, let me know. We can meet at any CCD outlet. Or maybe we could go to Rajdhani for their authentic Gujarati Thali. Or Many more places in camp where they have buffets Looks like my breakfast has disappeared into some corner and am hungry

Maybe we will have to keep it for some other time :( My wife saw me typing and reminded me about my severe cough. nag nag nag

Barbecue Nation is also missing me for a few months now.
Old 24th June 2011, 19:03   #1888
BHPian

Can you guys recommend some Liquid funds where I can park my money for 2-3 months or maybe less?
Abeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2011, 10:54   #1889
Distinguished - BHPian

HDFC Cash Management Savings Fund.

This is currently returning around 8% per annum.
smartcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2011, 14:02   #1890
BHPian

Anybody playing F&O? It surely gives good returns irrespective of the direction the market goes. Have been in this field for almost 5-6yrs now and its good going. Ofcourse, one should have a good risk apetite to dive into F&O segment.
kirantp is offline   Reply With Quote