Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


View Poll Results: Stocks as a percentage of my net assets are -
0 - 25% -- I'm like the most conservative Indians. I love FDs. 224 31.95%
26 - 50% -- I have a few stocks. 313 44.65%
51 - 75% -- I'm an active trader. 114 16.26%
76 - 100% -- Hey, I'm an i-banker!!! 50 7.13%
Voters: 701. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2011, 00:45   #1906
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Kochi
Posts: 2,147
Thanked: 143 Times
Default Re: Do you play the stock market

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post
PS: I didnt invest in it - still believe India will provide the best returns over next 8 - 10 yrs.

Of course - ditto for me; but just wanted to know what exactly is possible.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2011, 07:55   #1907
Newbie
 
g.nox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Hyderabad, Ajmer
Posts: 9
Thanked: 2 Times
Default Re: Do you play the stock market

I started my voyage in this world when market was going well around 6 months back. It started when I got some stocks as bonus from my company. Then got inspired from one of my senior colleague who was making good profit in the market. Initially the strategy was to sell the stock if you have made some money in it else keep it for long term

Now all my shares are in dark Red. But from my inside I get very strong feeling to invest in stocks instead of MF's and as market has gone down, I want to invest in it again.

I want some advice from the experts in this, what would be the best way to proceed.

Thanks in advance.
g.nox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2011, 10:41   #1908
BHPian
 
Equus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 872
Thanked: 158 Times
Default Re: Do you play the stock market

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.nox View Post
I started my voyage in this world when market was going well around 6 months back. It started when I got some stocks as bonus from my company. Then got inspired from one of my senior colleague who was making good profit in the market. Initially the strategy was to sell the stock if you have made some money in it else keep it for long term

Now all my shares are in dark Red. But from my inside I get very strong feeling to invest in stocks instead of MF's and as market has gone down, I want to invest in it again.

I want some advice from the experts in this, what would be the best way to proceed.

Thanks in advance.
Assuming you are long term investor, hang in there.. The India growth story is very much intact. You should look at the recent bloodbath as an opportunity to buy - its like Stocks on SALE. Do your research and invest regularly (SIP is best bet). Patience is key - there is no such thing as timing the market but rather its a function of time in the market. People often get impatient and take losses.

UPA-2 was expected to go offensive on some reforms, but they are sitting ducks. In my books, Manmohan Singh will go down only as the best FM, not the best PM.. Very sad.. Very very sad.
Equus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2011, 15:15   #1909
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Kochi
Posts: 2,147
Thanked: 143 Times
Default Re: Do you play the stock market

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.nox View Post
I started my voyage in this world when market was going well around 6 months back.
So?

Quote:
It started when I got some stocks as bonus from my company. Then got inspired from one of my senior colleague who was making good profit in the market. Initially the strategy was to sell the stock if you have made some money in it else keep it for long term
Beg your pardon? Where is the strategy here? Nobody ever made a profit by buying high and selling low.

Quote:
Now all my shares are in dark Red. But from my inside I get very strong feeling to invest in stocks instead of MF's and as market has gone down, I want to invest in it again.
Wait aminit. Please check the prices again. Are they still in the red? I do not think so.

:-D

Frankly, markets swing. And sway. if you allow your heart to jump and sag in tandem, you will obviously lose your shirts and shorts.

YOu made 10 mistakes there. (probably more - seniors here will point them out)

Your first mistake was that you did not have a strategy. The second mistake was that you "followed a 'blind man's' advice". Third mistake was that you did not have a strategy. Fourthly, you did not have your own idea of what to do. Fifthly, you did not have a strategy. Fifthly you followed other's advice. Sixthly, you followed others' advice. Seventh, you .....

well .. do you get the idea?

There is no short cut - good understanding of macro economics of the market, microeconomics of the company and its business, a sound understanding of the market sentiment and fundamentals of the companies you want to invest in. You need to develop those skills. Select between 10 to 30 companies (more or less - depending on you capacity), and follow them closely for about 5 years. Add and drop them as you feel them out of sync with your objectives.

You are ready to invest when you feel that if you feel confident that you can answer if somebody when asks you "what is DSCR (debt service coverage ratio) of company x". Or what is the 30 DMA of company Y.

Even with MFs, you need these skills - since all MFs publish shares held by them.

BTW, we have a separate thread for MFs -- if that is what will make you comfortable.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2011, 08:03   #1910
Newbie
 
g.nox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Hyderabad, Ajmer
Posts: 9
Thanked: 2 Times
Default Re: Do you play the stock market

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post
Assuming you are long term investor, hang in there.. The India growth story is very much intact. You should look at the recent bloodbath as an opportunity to buy - its like Stocks on SALE. Do your research and invest regularly (SIP is best bet). Patience is key - there is no such thing as timing the market but rather its a function of time in the market. People often get impatient and take losses.

UPA-2 was expected to go offensive on some reforms, but they are sitting ducks. In my books, Manmohan Singh will go down only as the best FM, not the best PM.. Very sad.. Very very sad.
True Indian market growth is intact, It has sustained itself to much extent in the current global slowdown.

I am waiting for the right time to go In this time.

Thanks man for your advice!


Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
So?
I am trying to tell when I entered into stock world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Beg your pardon? Where is the strategy here? Nobody ever made a profit by buying high and selling low.
That was my initial plan of action, I did not go for extensive research and that is why I think my stocks are in red and therefore I am here to discuss my loopholes. I know nobody can make profit this way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Wait aminit. Please check the prices again. Are they still in the red? I do not think so.

:-D
Yes they are!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
YOu made 10 mistakes there. (probably more - seniors here will point them out)

Your first mistake was that you did not have a strategy. The second mistake was that you "followed a 'blind man's' advice". Third mistake was that you did not have a strategy. Fourthly, you did not have your own idea of what to do. Fifthly, you did not have a strategy. Fifthly you followed other's advice. Sixthly, you followed others' advice. Seventh, you .....

well .. do you get the idea?
Yes I get your point. And I did not follow anyone's advice blindly, no one pushed me to buy this or buy that, that was completely my idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
There is no short cut - good understanding of macro economics of the market, microeconomics of the company and its business, a sound understanding of the market sentiment and fundamentals of the companies you want to invest in. You need to develop those skills. Select between 10 to 30 companies (more or less - depending on you capacity), and follow them closely for about 5 years. Add and drop them as you feel them out of sync with your objectives.

You are ready to invest when you feel that if you feel confident that you can answer if somebody when asks you "what is DSCR (debt service coverage ratio) of company x". Or what is the 30 DMA of company Y.
You have made a very good point here. Completely agree, I think in this way I will be able to invest my money with confidence.

Thanks much for your valuable suggestion.
g.nox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2011, 22:24   #1911
BHPian
 
ontheroad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: KL-01/KL-08
Posts: 297
Thanked: 140 Times
Default Re: Do you play the stock market

Atlast 4800 support was breached in intraday today. Where will this carnage lead to? I think its time to invest 40% now. Whats the opinion of fellow Bhps?
ontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2011, 22:30   #1912
Distinguished - BHPian
 
smartcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,974
Thanked: 11,923 Times
Default Re: Do you play the stock market

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Atlast 4800 support was breached in intraday today. Where will this carnage lead to? I think its time to invest 40% now. Whats the opinion of fellow Bhps?
Rather than invest 40% of your cash at one go, invest small amounts in your favorite stocks for every X percentage fall in the Index
smartcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2011, 22:37   #1913
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 4
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: Do you play the stock market

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Atlast 4800 support was breached in intraday today. Where will this carnage lead to? I think its time to invest 40% now. Whats the opinion of fellow Bhps?
Why do you feel people HAVE ANY money to invest left over? Eveyone invested everything when nifty was at around 5200 odd. At least most people. Now, other than pray, they cant do anything else.

There are just maybe 5 % of people who acyually have a plan, and allocate accordingly. Those people may have the money to invest.

The biggest silent killer is mutual funds. Everyone holds them, and only maybe 10 % of the people know how to handle them. Their thinking that mutual funds are a safe investment route goes down the drain, as they never exit them in downtrends.

SIP maybe is the only way for the common man to invest in the markets, and that too, for a MINIMUM 5 year period. You cant say I am in SIP for 6 months, where are my profits?

OR, learn a strategy and hammer away intraday like the professionals do
Altaf Petiwala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2011, 16:09   #1914
vsh
BHPian
 
vsh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: sirsi
Posts: 102
Thanked: 9 Times
Default Re: Do you play the stock market

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altaf Petiwala View Post

OR, learn a strategy and hammer away intraday like the professionals do
very true,
but who is ready to teach?

moreover

WHO IS READY TO LEARN?
vsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2011, 00:13   #1915
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 4
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: Do you play the stock market

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsh View Post
very true,
but who is ready to teach?

moreover

WHO IS READY TO LEARN?
The question is, who is ready to give up his day job, or business, and invest 3 years WITHOUT any hope of earning money for at least 3 years.

Trading has by far been the most frustrating thing that I have ever tried in this world. I doubt that becoming a neurosurgeon must be a lot easier, than earning money consistently in day trading. One off money making days or weeks are not enough. What is needed is a strategy to extract small profits throughout the day, week, month and year, with small losses interspersed in between those profits. The trick is to keep the losses smaller than the profits. Then if you are even right 50 % of the time, you will make a small bit of money, or at best break even..
Altaf Petiwala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2011, 13:54   #1916
Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: ............
Posts: 3,260
Thanked: 4,212 Times
Default Re: Do you play the stock market

Utilizing the downtrend in the share markets, I bought the following PSU bank shares yesterday and today:

50 Central Bank @ Rs 96 each

100 Punjab&Sind Bank @ 71 each

10 SBI @ Rs 1899 each
J.Ravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2011, 14:41   #1917
Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: ............
Posts: 3,260
Thanked: 4,212 Times
Default Re: Do you play the stock market

Continuing with my shopping spree, my order for 10 Axis Bank shares at Rs 999 each and 13 Tata Motors @ Rs 694 each was executed just now!

Last edited by J.Ravi : 26th August 2011 at 15:11.
J.Ravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2011, 11:12   #1918
Newbie
 
g.nox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Hyderabad, Ajmer
Posts: 9
Thanked: 2 Times
Default Re: Do you play the stock market

Indian market has now gained over 800 points in 2 days, as expected after the improvement in all the markets globally.

I invested in banking and IT sector after seeing this rise.

According to NDTV Profit analysts are attributing this rise as short covering and another leg of correction is likely to happen after RBI decision in September.

Lets see what trend does this market shows in near future!!
g.nox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2011, 14:38   #1919
BHPian
 
vahss_11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Thane(Mumbai)
Posts: 115
Thanked: 2 Times
Default Re: Do you play the stock market

I dont want to be a devil's advocate but my trading views are as below :-

Current movements are purely short term dead cat bounce, and I wont be surprised to see levels of sub-4200 even 3800 on nifty in coming 6-9 months, after this rally gets exhausted,

Central Bk Of Ind is in a big down trend and can reach 60 levels in coming months,
SBI is also in a Down trend can can reach sub 1500 in next 8-9 months,

Dont listen to News channels, if Investing, buy in 5 % lots for next 12 months and if not then get ready for some serious movements on the down side.

Just my pure trading views.
vahss_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2011, 20:03   #1920
Newbie
 
g.nox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Hyderabad, Ajmer
Posts: 9
Thanked: 2 Times
Default Re: Do you play the stock market

Quote:
Originally Posted by vahss_11 View Post

Dont listen to News channels, if Investing, buy in 5 % lots for next 12 months and if not then get ready for some serious movements on the down side.

.
Thank you Vahss_11 for sharing your views.

After observing the uncertainty of market I have planned to invest in lots only. This is what every expert suggests.

As you said dont listen to News channels, can you also share about the sources which can be trusted.
g.nox is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stock Steering Wheel with Audio Controls Connected to After Market Headunit? Epic In-Car Entertainment 34 24th July 2014 12:36
Stock Market - Technical Analyis Tutorial carboy Shifting gears 5 24th June 2011 23:28
Games you can play at office (Flash / browser based) Spinnerr Shifting gears 24 23rd September 2010 20:37


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:46.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks