Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


View Poll Results: Stocks as a percentage of my net assets are -
0 - 25% -- I'm like the most conservative Indians. I love FDs. 219 32.02%
26 - 50% -- I have a few stocks. 302 44.15%
51 - 75% -- I'm an active trader. 113 16.52%
76 - 100% -- Hey, I'm an i-banker!!! 50 7.31%
Voters: 684. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2014, 23:04   #2506
BHPian
 
DudeWithaFiat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Kochi/TVM
Posts: 322
Thanked: 364 Times
Default Re: Do you play the stock market

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post

One stock which i beleive in is suzlon. While it has been hammered literally, I am sure it will bounce back one fne day.
Not a big player, but here is my story:

1st experience:- Bought 'Rane Madras' after it was recommended in Dalal Street at the rate or Rs.91.xx. I bought 100 of them. A friend of mine who has been playing with stocks for 3 or 4 years (but still unsuccessful there), asked me to sell them off since its price is plunging and will plung again soon. Something inside me said, no, but out of respect for his experience in stocks, I took his advice and sold it at loss at Rs.80.xx. From next week onwards, Rane Madras shot up and now it is trading at Rs.406/-

...after a gap of about 3 years..:

2nd experience:- Bought Suzlon at Rs.10/- and KEC at Rs.60/-. Same old friend (still struggling), said that I made a mistake and should immediately sell them. I said okay, but kept them secretly. About a month back I sold Suzlon at Rs.20 and sold KEC today at Rs.107/-.

Only three, yeah no much experience to talk of, but I am seriously thinking of taking the plunge. I believe in my instincts a LOT.
DudeWithaFiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2014, 00:37   #2507
BHPian
 
yo222's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 41
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeWithaFiat View Post
no much experience to talk of, but I am seriously thinking of taking the plunge. I believe in my instincts a LOT.
I am the same as you but then from the experience of seeing my dad I can see that instincts+a bit of research is always good. .. and a deadly condition
yo222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2014, 13:41   #2508
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 442
Thanked: 33 Times
Default Re: Do you play the stock market

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeWithaFiat View Post
Only three, yeah no much experience to talk of, but I am seriously thinking of taking the plunge. I believe in my instincts a LOT.
Investing 10K and investing your entire life savings on stocks are two completely different things and the instinct in both cases can be diametrically opposite. One big difference between the two is fear.

Most people will be OK investing 10K in the stock market and swallowing a loss of say 5K in the hope that it could again become 10K. However if all the cash you have is 10 lakhs and you lose 5 lakhs, it is a completely different proposition. Losing even 1 lakh will be hard to swallow.

Personally, I have had mixed results in the market. Some such as Tech Mahindra have bagged me 5 times what I invested in it because when Satyam went down I bought shares for as low as Rs. 15. On the other hand, some like Renuka Sugars are now 1/5th the price it once was. Many casual investors in the stock market look only at the returns their top-performers give and fail to look at the annualized return of their combined portfolio.

That said, All the best!
nowwhat? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2014, 14:13   #2509
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 7,042
Thanked: 3,586 Times
Default Re: Do you play the stock market

As one guru said, invest only what you can afford to lose. A bit extreme perhaps, but just outlines the risk element.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2014, 14:48   #2510
Senior - BHPian
 
S_U_N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,778
Thanked: 375 Times
Default Re: Do you play the stock market

The stock market is going up and only up.

I am getting some credits in my bank account from various companies where I have got some shares. Is that dividend?
Unfortunately I don't see any information about it on my FundsIndia portal.
S_U_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2014, 15:33   #2511
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Kochi
Posts: 2,147
Thanked: 142 Times
Default

If it's dividend the company will send you a mail, post or email.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2014, 19:25   #2512
BHPian
 
DudeWithaFiat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Kochi/TVM
Posts: 322
Thanked: 364 Times
Default Re: Do you play the stock market

Hey all. I have a couple of questions (not related to stock, but about investments) I hope you guys help me with.

Like they all say, when we want to buy gold as an investment, buy gold coins. The questions I have are:

1) What is the best source to buy gold coins? Reputed jewellers or Banks?

2) If I am to buy a gold coin of 1g from a jeweller for Rs.3000 and if the gold prices went upto Rs.3500 for a gram in two months or so, will I be able to sell that coin back to the jeweller for Rs.3500? What will be deductions made by a typical jeweller?

3) I read about buying gold electronically, but it didnt make any sense to me (pardon a newbie :( )

Thanks in advance guys.
DudeWithaFiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2014, 19:57   #2513
Senior - BHPian
 
mercedised's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Indore
Posts: 1,061
Thanked: 155 Times
Default Re: Do you play the stock market

Sorry to say guys, but Stock market is the most bogus way of investment I have come across. I have never invested in stock markets but have seen 100% of people loosing money that they invested, credit goes to those agents\brokers who show dreams of heaven to investors and then the chain goes on and on and the investor keeps on loosing money. I would rather throw my money in trash then investing in stock markets. I don't understand stock markets and stock markets be DAMNED!

P.S.: I have hundreds of examples, one of my cousin break his FD on the advice of idiot piece of mind (broker) of 2.5Lakhs. Let me tell what happened next, the broker told him to invest 10,000 Rs and no rocket science my cousin gained some 5500 Rs in a month. The broker then asked him to invest 50,000 Rs.. Based on previous profit he invested 50,000 Rs; Although I warned against this investment of 50,000 Rs, bit he proceded anyway and again gained some 15,000 Rs quickly. The broker then asked him to invest more and this time the cousin of mine decided to invest 2.5L, inspite of me trying to explain him that the broker is only trying to get him into trap, he invested the amount. Not to say he was in such a loss that he lost the whole amount and his interest earned on the FD too. There are more cases that If I write here would compile into a book.

Last edited by mercedised : 3rd September 2014 at 20:06.
mercedised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2014, 20:15   #2514
BHPian
 
yo222's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 41
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeWithaFiat View Post

1) What is the best source to buy gold coins? Reputed jewellers or Banks?

2) If I am to buy a gold coin of 1g from a jeweller for Rs.3000 and if the gold prices went upto Rs.3500 for a gram in two months or so, will I be able to sell that coin back to the jeweller for Rs.3500? What will be deductions made by a typical jeweller?
Best source to buy as per me is Banks or MMTC in Bandra.

As regards selling the gold coin at a higher prices, I don't know about deductions, if any, but then generally you can sell the gold coin if it's intact and you have retained the purity certificate etc that comes when you buy.
yo222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2014, 21:05   #2515
BHPian
 
DudeWithaFiat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Kochi/TVM
Posts: 322
Thanked: 364 Times
Default Re: Do you play the stock market

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post

Not to say he was in such a loss that he lost the whole amount and his interest earned on the FD too. There are more cases that If I write here would compile into a book.
It sounds like your cousin trusted the broker blindly and invested without thinking/learning. No offense, but this must be one of the perfect cases of 'Do Nots' in playing with stocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo222 View Post
Best source to buy as per me is Banks or MMTC in Bandra.

As regards selling the gold coin at a higher prices, I don't know about deductions, if any, but then generally you can sell the gold coin if it's intact and you have retained the purity certificate etc that comes when you buy.
I read that banks sell gold coins at a higher rate than jewellers and they do not buy them back. I'll check with the banks and jewellers here and update the thread.
DudeWithaFiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2014, 21:16   #2516
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
We have heard of much higher forecasts, more than a month back on TV18.
A target without the time factor, is meaningless.

Here is a link for one of the forecast, saying it will hit 100K by 2020.

Wrote something on this today: http://www.moneycontrol.com/news/mar...m_1169892.html
nazimk24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2014, 22:22   #2517
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 442
Thanked: 33 Times
Default Re: Do you play the stock market

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeWithaFiat View Post
Like they all say, when we want to buy gold as an investment, buy gold coins. The questions I have are:

3) I read about buying gold electronically, but it didnt make any sense to me (pardon a newbie :( )
I don't know, who gave you this advice but it is not true at all. Coins come in different purity and most who sell do not buy them back. Even if they do, you will have to take a haircut of a few percentage below their selling price.

Don't forget that you have to physically guard this gold and maybe invest in a bank locker which anyway is a good thing to have.

The best way to buy Gold is through ETF. in fact this is one area where ETF outshines all its other variants.

Bear in mind that gold prices in India will go down 10% the moment the Finance Minister abolishes the 10% customs duty that was introduced by Chidambaram a few years ago. This customs duty was 0% before the CAD crisis.

Last edited by nowwhat? : 3rd September 2014 at 22:29.
nowwhat? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2014, 22:47   #2518
BHPian
 
Deep Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Udupi
Posts: 590
Thanked: 225 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeWithaFiat View Post
Hey all. I have a couple of questions (not related to stock, but about investments) I hope you guys help me with.

Like they all say, when we want to buy gold as an investment, buy gold coins. The questions I have are:

1) What is the best source to buy gold coins? Reputed jewellers or Banks?

In my place, the jewellers refuse to buy the gold coins bought from the bank. They will only take coins bought from jewellers.
I am not sure if it is an all India phenomena.
Deep Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2014, 23:45   #2519
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 442
Thanked: 33 Times
Default Re: Do you play the stock market

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
I have hundreds of examples, one of my cousin break his FD on the advice of idiot piece of mind (broker) of 2.5Lakhs. Let me tell what happened next, the broker told him to invest 10,000 Rs and no rocket science my cousin gained some 5500 Rs in a month. The broker then asked him to invest 50,000 Rs.. Based on previous profit he invested 50,000 Rs; Although I warned against this investment of 50,000 Rs, bit he proceded anyway and again gained some 15,000 Rs quickly. The broker then asked him to invest more and this time the cousin of mine decided to invest 2.5L, inspite of me trying to explain him that the broker is only trying to get him into trap, he invested the amount. Not to say he was in such a loss that he lost the whole amount and his interest earned on the FD too. There are more cases that If I write here would compile into a book.
If you notice, what you describe is very similar to the principle of how a casino operates. A person comes in and makes a small profit, he then bets more and more only to end up losing his entire life savings and maybe even end up in debt.

Another variant is also very frequent in the stock market. A person based on his/her own instinct/research or under the advice of others such as a stock broker, office colleague, investment magazine or even a car driver invests a lot of money in say stock X which is trading for Rs. 1,000 when its 52-week high is say 2,000. This person believes the stock will touch Rs, 3,000 "soon". This stock plummets to Rs. 500 and he now thinks he is buying at a steal, so he breaks his FD and buys more. Stock goes to Rs. 300 and he mortgages the house to buy more. Eventually such people end up in a very bad situation. Don't forget that a catastrophic loss of money will cause havoc to your future plans, family peace and your child's education.

The stock broker in the case you describe is not at fault. He may have made 10K or so as brokerage and his only fault may be that he got your friend hooked, but it is your friend's fault for building castles in the air and throwing caution to the winds.

Someone in a post above said, "Only invest in the stock market what you are willing to lose." This is sage advice, but unfortunately very difficult for most mortals to follow.

Someone else said about investing as per the Dalal Street Journal. I have worked on Dalal Street and also worked in DSJ in the early 90s and let me tell you that if the owners of DSJ had the ability to predict the future or if they believed in their own mag, how is it that they lost everything and have re-emerged in a new avatar.

The information in Indian stock markets is asymmetric. We simply do not have as much time or information as those who are cued in on the Dalal Street rumor mill, analyze financial statements inside out, are golf buddies with the management & board of directors and visit factories periodically. That is why I only invest in MFs these days and mostly via SIP.
nowwhat? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2014, 00:13   #2520
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: mumbai
Posts: 450
Thanked: 181 Times
Default Re: Do you play the stock market

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazimk24 View Post
Nazimk
Hi
Well written. Thanks for the link.
The old saying " When the market is rising everybody is bullish and when it is falling everybody is bearish"
Incidentally last Thu or Fri heard Atul Suri give a target of 10400 on the Nifty. Wasn't paying much attention.Susequently tried to find the transcript on Moneycontrol but couldn't.
Regards
faustus77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stock Steering Wheel with Audio Controls Connected to After Market Headunit? Epic In-Car Entertainment 34 24th July 2014 12:36
Stock Market - Technical Analyis Tutorial carboy Shifting gears 5 24th June 2011 23:28
Games you can play at office (Flash / browser based) Spinnerr Shifting gears 24 23rd September 2010 20:37


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:50.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks