Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


View Poll Results: Stocks as a percentage of my net assets are -
0 - 25% -- I'm like the most conservative Indians. I love FDs. 219 32.02%
26 - 50% -- I have a few stocks. 302 44.15%
51 - 75% -- I'm an active trader. 113 16.52%
76 - 100% -- Hey, I'm an i-banker!!! 50 7.31%
Voters: 684. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2008, 09:58   #901
Senior - BHPian
 
Sudipto-S-Team's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 1,292
Thanked: 247 Times
Default

Looks like the thread has revived again after a 3-week lull and those mythical figures have started flying. This is a sign of yet another impending dip. The higher the predictions for nifty the lower it goes. Someone sees a 20 per cent gain in nifty !! Over the next week, month, year or decade ?
Sudipto-S-Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2008, 20:30   #902
Senior - BHPian
 
mjothi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,252
Thanked: 216 Times
Default India Inc welcomes Manmohan Singh taking FinMin charge

India Inc welcomes Manmohan Singh taking FinMin charge- Politics/Nation-News-The Economic Times


Will this help us from the bear market

Singh is KING
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2008, 11:46   #903
Senior - BHPian
 
Sudipto-S-Team's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 1,292
Thanked: 247 Times
Default

I don't think it makes any difference in real terms. No major or minor policy decision would have been taken by PC alone when he had Manmohan Singh as the boss. I would rather watch Montek Singh more closely now. He might now come out of Planning Commission and play a more direct role in the finance ministry.
Sudipto-S-Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2008, 12:29   #904
Senior - BHPian
 
rjvora_2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mumbai/Mulund
Posts: 1,656
Thanked: 39 Times
Default

Stock market will not have any long term effect because of "Sing is king".
rjvora_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2008, 12:49   #905
BHPian
 
kvish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 577
Thanked: 110 Times
Default

Does anyone know if the tata motors fixed deposit scheme is worthwhile? Its about a percent more than banks. Just wondering if its a risky bet.
kvish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2008, 13:08   #906
Senior - BHPian
 
Sudipto-S-Team's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 1,292
Thanked: 247 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvish View Post
Does anyone know if the tata motors fixed deposit scheme is worthwhile? Its about a percent more than banks. Just wondering if its a risky bet.
I think it is a bit risky. In fact that's the reason they are offering a higher rate.
Tata Motors is finding it very difficult to fund its acquisition of Jaguar-Land Rover. The outlook for automobiles in general is bad. Plus the JLR business will be a major financial drain on them for some time.
Sudipto-S-Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2008, 15:48   #907
Senior - BHPian
 
rjvora_2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mumbai/Mulund
Posts: 1,656
Thanked: 39 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
I think it is a bit risky. In fact that's the reason they are offering a higher rate.
Tata Motors is finding it very difficult to fund its acquisition of Jaguar-Land Rover. The outlook for automobiles in general is bad. Plus the JLR business will be a major financial drain on them for some time.
Do you think that the long term will also be risky?
rjvora_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2008, 16:16   #908
BHPian
 
BenjiRoss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Tamilnadu
Posts: 559
Thanked: 74 Times
Default

The for provided here:
http://www.tatamotors.com/pdf/fixed-deposit-form.pdf


shows FD rates that seem comparable to what banks are providing.
10% for 1 year, 10.5% for 2 years and 11% for 3 years
compounded quarterly
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvish View Post
Does anyone know if the tata motors fixed deposit scheme is worthwhile? Its about a percent more than banks. Just wondering if its a risky bet.
BenjiRoss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2008, 16:26   #909
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,581
Thanked: 3,242 Times
Default

Nothing will happen. US is king, china is king, Singh is waiting (for madamji)
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2008, 16:54   #910
Senior - BHPian
 
rjvora_2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mumbai/Mulund
Posts: 1,656
Thanked: 39 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Nothing will happen. US is king, china is king, Singh is waiting (for madamji)
Don't loose the hope man they are not magicians. India will be there on top one day.
rjvora_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2008, 16:58   #911
Senior - BHPian
 
Sudipto-S-Team's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 1,292
Thanked: 247 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjvora_2000 View Post
Do you think that the long term will also be risky?
Well, you see, realistically speaking it is very difficult to believe or even imagine that a day might come when a Tata group company might default on a loan taken from the public.

But, if you want to eliminate all risks from your financial planning, then I would suggest don't lend money to Tata Motors at this point of time and that too for just one per cent more. Putting money in an FD scheme is nothing but lending money. And in case the company folds up, these lenders would be the last to be paid back from the sale of assets (theoritically speaking).

Now, if you are asking whether the Tata Motors shares would be a good buy for the long term, then the answer is "I don't really know" !! They are going cheap, relative to their assets - no doubt. But their assets also include JLR, which might prove to be a real burden in the near future and not so much of an asset. So think twice.

Putting money in an FD scheme and buying shares are two completely different things. One is lending money the other is buying the company's ownership.
Sudipto-S-Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2008, 18:17   #912
Senior - BHPian
 
rjvora_2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mumbai/Mulund
Posts: 1,656
Thanked: 39 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
Well, you see, realistically speaking it is very difficult to believe or even imagine that a day might come when a Tata group company might default on a loan taken from the public.

But, if you want to eliminate all risks from your financial planning, then I would suggest don't lend money to Tata Motors at this point of time and that too for just one per cent more. Putting money in an FD scheme is nothing but lending money. And in case the company folds up, these lenders would be the last to be paid back from the sale of assets (theoritically speaking).

Now, if you are asking whether the Tata Motors shares would be a good buy for the long term, then the answer is "I don't really know" !! They are going cheap, relative to their assets - no doubt. But their assets also include JLR, which might prove to be a real burden in the near future and not so much of an asset. So think twice.

Putting money in an FD scheme and buying shares are two completely different things. One is lending money the other is buying the company's ownership.
with you on some point's but do you think Tata as a group one should not invest is something need's to be thought of again.
rjvora_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2008, 19:29   #913
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 865
Thanked: 35 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjvora_2000 View Post
Do you think that the long term will also be risky?
I went through the whole thread and have nothing to say other than that it's nothing much different than gambling, heck, even a casino game is more predictable

One should know that the very distinction of investing in shares/mutual funds is RISK which is beyond ones analytical capabilities. I am not saying just because the markets crashed but that has been their very nature. So, it all depends what level of risk you can take.

And the name of the game is like Bond's line "trust no one" because nobody knows whats going on, it's just like the astrologers business
zaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2008, 21:26   #914
Senior - BHPian
 
jaysmokesleaves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mostly Mumbai
Posts: 1,672
Thanked: 1,143 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Actually the smoke is short-lived. It is the leaf that lives long. And needs to be planted and nurtured so you can smoke it later when you like.

And the leaf-grower is not greedy. He's just planning his future smoke.
Aaahh.. the smoke is short lived because she is consuming you in puffs.
You cannot smoke her when you like. TO achieve that command is no small matter of wishing it. What you talk about happens when she smokes you.
The leaf grower may not be greedy, he cant be because she is smoking him. You may nurture her as you wish but till the time that you dont have command you cannot smoke her-she smokes you.
Back in context, the same apples to GREED. You may enjoy greed as greed consumes you.
cheers:
jaysmokesleaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2008, 09:03   #915
Senior - BHPian
 
rjvora_2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mumbai/Mulund
Posts: 1,656
Thanked: 39 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
I went through the whole thread and have nothing to say other than that it's nothing much different than gambling, heck, even a casino game is more predictable

One should know that the very distinction of investing in shares/mutual funds is RISK which is beyond ones analytical capabilities. I am not saying just because the markets crashed but that has been their very nature. So, it all depends what level of risk you can take.

And the name of the game is like Bond's line "trust no one" because nobody knows whats going on, it's just like the astrologers business
Sorry sir I don't agree with you on this. I have not seen a single person who have lost there money in stock's.

Yes this is true!!!

If you stay invested for longer period of time (By long - I mean 5 to 7 year's) yea long time then you will earn better then any FD or any other investment's. - Believe me.

Only person who lost money in this market is a greedy person.
rjvora_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stock Steering Wheel with Audio Controls Connected to After Market Headunit? Epic In-Car Entertainment 34 24th July 2014 12:36
Stock Market - Technical Analyis Tutorial carboy Shifting gears 5 24th June 2011 23:28
Games you can play at office (Flash / browser based) Spinnerr Shifting gears 24 23rd September 2010 20:37


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:56.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks