Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


View Poll Results: Stocks as a percentage of my net assets are -
0 - 25% -- I'm like the most conservative Indians. I love FDs. 224 31.95%
26 - 50% -- I have a few stocks. 313 44.65%
51 - 75% -- I'm an active trader. 114 16.26%
76 - 100% -- Hey, I'm an i-banker!!! 50 7.13%
Voters: 701. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2009, 03:00   #1291
BHPian
 
ghpk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ghaziabad
Posts: 869
Thanked: 192 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Guys any comments on "Cairn India"? I am looking at this stock for 1+ yrs investment.
Its a good script, Invest wisely, Do not drain all money in one go.
Buy on dips and if you wish to stick to only one company, study the chart for crucial levels, it will give you many opportunity to invest in parts.
Once your money is in profit, you can start selling them off, and wait for another lower level to enter.
one thing people miss is, they keep watching the HIGHEST level and then come back to their cost price, EXIT WHEN it gets you money, its better to get profits, and get your investment back for re-investment.


Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
any idea where the markets are heading?? im kinda a newbie.
will nifty touch 5k?
Nifty can touch 5k soon, if not immediate, and everybody is keeping their fingers crossed.
but a correction Rally is getting over-due so lets not think greedily.
Although I've some real urge to see Nifty touch 5k, even for 10 secs, I'll be more than HAPPY to come in profit from recent call/put loss.
ghpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2009, 05:40   #1292
Senior - BHPian
 
spadival's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 1,770
Thanked: 15 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
Buy on dips and if you wish to stick to only one company, study the chart for crucial levels, it will give you many opportunity to invest in parts.
Once your money is in profit, you can start selling them off, and wait for another lower level to enter.
one thing people miss is, they keep watching the HIGHEST level and then come back to their cost price, EXIT WHEN it gets you money, its better to get profits, and get your investment back for re-investment.
Thanks for the "generic" CNBC style advice, but what neoonwheels is probably looking for, is specific information on the stock itself. i.e. whether its a good idea to get in at the current price, with an investment horizon of 1+ year.

BTW, I sold Reliance just a day before it went up 5% .. Rs 30k notional loss on possible gain .

Last edited by spadival : 12th September 2009 at 05:41.
spadival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2009, 07:56   #1293
Senior - BHPian
 
Ravveendrra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,391
Thanked: 405 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
Thanks for the "generic" CNBC style advice, but what neoonwheels is probably looking for, is specific information on the stock itself. i.e. whether its a good idea to get in at the current price, with an investment horizon of 1+ year.

BTW, I sold Reliance just a day before it went up 5% .. Rs 30k notional loss on possible gain .
To give ghpk his due, he could not have been more specific. The 'correct' price to buy or sell will be different for different persons. If ghpk or anyone else knew the 'correct' levels - they would be multi-billionaries and would not be looking at 4 wheels but will be enjoying thingys with 3 wheels and wings or yachts.

What happened to you in the Reliance scrip is called an 'opportunity loss'. That happens all the time, you sell a scrip only to see it go up some more or you buy a scrip and watch it fall. Do not let this worry you, pick your entry price and exit at a predetermined price at a profit - say 5%. Thereafter look only for dips in that scrip to re-enter or look at another scrip that will out-perform your original scrip.

By its very nature - being in the share market means you will make some losses, be happy as long as you are ahead i.e. your profits are more than your losses.

Cheers,

Last edited by Ravveendrra : 12th September 2009 at 07:58.
Ravveendrra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2009, 11:53   #1294
Senior - BHPian
 
spadival's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 1,770
Thanked: 15 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
To give ghpk his due, he could not have been more specific. The 'correct' price to buy or sell will be different for different persons. If ghpk or anyone else knew the 'correct' levels - they would be multi-billionaries and would not be looking at 4 wheels but will be enjoying thingys with 3 wheels and wings or yachts.
Mind you, I am not saying the advice is wrong or incorrect, Infact, its pretty good and sensible advice..But this advice is valid while buying/selling ANY stocks across any market all over the world.

True, there is no correct level, but given that this specific stock has appreciated 60% over the last 6 months, by looking at the company's business plans and prospects for the long term. i.e. Present all the information and the news, then you can make a fair determination whether to get in or not.
spadival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2009, 12:09   #1295
Senior - BHPian
 
Ravveendrra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,391
Thanked: 405 Times
Default

Not to put too fine a point to it - ghpk did say "Its a good script, Invest wisely, Do not drain all money in one go." This portion of his post was what prompted me to say that he was quite specific.

Cheers,
Ravveendrra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2009, 12:13   #1296
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Lucknow
Posts: 171
Thanked: 13 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post

BTW, I sold Reliance just a day before it went up 5% .. Rs 30k notional loss on possible gain .
You can never buy at the bottom & never sell at the top.It's only in hindsight that you may realize that there was some more up movement left in the stock.
This Friday morning, I sold Central bank at 113 & just an hour after that it moved up almost 15% & touched 130.But even after selling it at 113 I made a decent profit so I am happy.
rishab.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2009, 17:51   #1297
Senior - BHPian
 
spadival's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 1,770
Thanked: 15 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishab.k View Post
You can never buy at the bottom & never sell at the top..
Well, in this case, my late father did buy those Reliance shares at the bottom.. during the 70-80's.

If you have read my back story on this thread, I was forced to liquidate all my shares because ICICI "braindead" direct disabled my account (becoz they lost the account opening documents!!) and then temporarily re-enabled it for 10 days, after I shouted at them. They said they haven't received the docs I sent and therefore would re-disable the account after 10 days.

Reading this -> ICICI Direct / Demat Account Complaints - Pathetic service & commitment from last one and half yrs for activating my account, I thought I can't afford to be at the mercy of these "Hum hai na" chaps when one of their own employees had to suffer their great service.

Otherwise, I don't think I would have ever sold the shares. Stupid idiots - I guess all the I's in ICICI stands for Idiot and all the C's for XXXX, wait until I clean out all my banking relationship with ICICI, and make 10 more people quit ICICI.

PS: oh.. Whatever you do, Don't ever buy ICICI Bank shares. Even if you get it for free. You'll live to regret that day.

Last edited by spadival : 13th September 2009 at 17:59.
spadival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2009, 19:48   #1298
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Kochi
Posts: 2,147
Thanked: 143 Times
Default

What is the difference between a "bulk deal" and a "block deal"?

How do we (normal individuals) know if somebody who purchased in bulk / block deals sells off in small lots?
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2009, 20:09   #1299
BHPian
 
ghpk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ghaziabad
Posts: 869
Thanked: 192 Times
Default

"spadival" yes it was a generic advice, cause iam not an expert, just a small/tiny trader, learning to make profits through stocks.
I do have learned a lot from my and friends losses but i do find it interesting when i see a smart trader
gain a thousand rupee a day and then chill out with no more greed.

what we trade for is "Profit", and once you start reading those charts you can learn atleast to play safe and not to loose money.


"Ravveendrra" yes i would have been floating on a Yatch if i knew "the would be happen in advance".

like today's Nifty strong resistance, is most likely only upto around 24th (i may be completely wrong) but with such a large quantity for 5k nifty put in options, i can only see this resistance a reason which might be till current lot expiry on 24th.

I don't think the market is bullish anymore but just about to correct the figures in couple of days.

I would not be buying anything till 24th for holding as i expect to see a major corrections soon.

lets wait for 24 and then see where the trend goes, bullish or Bearish.
ghpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2009, 21:10   #1300
vsh
BHPian
 
vsh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: sirsi
Posts: 102
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

hi folks
very interesting discussion on trading is going on here! i would like to add my comments too.
regarding stock going up after one sells it -- it would make sense to put it another way- stocks dont go up after our selling- we sell when it is going up!!
LET YOUR PROFITS RUN, CUT YOUR LOSSES.
as a trader my rule is- if it is going up, buy it. if going down sell it.
sometimes after my entry i come to know that it is falling then i will exit at my stoploss level.
BTW, anyone heard of legendary JESSE LIVERMORE??
vsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2009, 22:09   #1301
Senior - BHPian
 
Ravveendrra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,391
Thanked: 405 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
"spadival" yes it was a generic advice, cause iam not an expert, just a small/tiny trader, learning to make profits through stocks.
I do have learned a lot from my and friends losses but i do find it interesting when i see a smart trader
gain a thousand rupee a day and then chill out with no more greed.

what we trade for is "Profit", and once you start reading those charts you can learn atleast to play safe and not to loose money.


"Ravveendrra" yes i would have been floating on a Yatch if i knew "the would be happen in advance".

like today's Nifty strong resistance, is most likely only upto around 24th (i may be completely wrong) but with such a large quantity for 5k nifty put in options, i can only see this resistance a reason which might be till current lot expiry on 24th.

I don't think the market is bullish anymore but just about to correct the figures in couple of days.

I would not be buying anything till 24th for holding as i expect to see a major corrections soon.

lets wait for 24 and then see where the trend goes, bullish or Bearish.
Well put @ ghpk.

I am not a banker, or an investment analyst, or a financial or investment advisor. What is written below is only my personal opinion stated here for the purpose of discussion and is not advice.

About your analysis, I agree with you that a correction is overdue and perhaps we are in the midst of one. Only the closings have been flat, intra day prices have been low. What surprises me is that the market still reigns around 4800 and has not fallen lower. Fortunately I was not greedy and sold my puts at a decent profit. The reason for the support is perhaps (as you have hinted), the volumes in the cash segment is only about 14K crores while the volumes in the F&O segment is 4 times that - about 58K crores. Therefore, it is conceivable that the F&O segment now effectively controls the prices cash segment and not the other way around.
I do think till the 24th is the right time to do some selective buying. More than a straight drop or rise the market might fluctuate so for options - a straddle strategy (with strict stop-losses) might prove extremely profitable.

Cheers,
Ravveendrra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2009, 00:29   #1302
BHPian
 
ghpk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ghaziabad
Posts: 869
Thanked: 192 Times
Default

"Ravveendrra Ji" I agree with you.

Stop loss is one basic thing, which new traders don't want to follow, and that's what make them loose the Big money.
in fact people resist from accepting their failure when deal go bad and keep their positions in the falling stock till it eats up the capital to a level which can take ages to recover with more averaging.

frankly speaking I've learned this first hand and now follow stop loss strictly.

lets watch nifty for a week or so, I am sure this is going to be interesting.
ghpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2009, 01:58   #1303
BHPian
 
ghpk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ghaziabad
Posts: 869
Thanked: 192 Times
Default

Just to refresh everyone, the Nifty touched 5k for a day and then selling pressure made it again under 5000,


anyway What Stocks you all are trading these days ?
ghpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2009, 20:28   #1304
vsh
BHPian
 
vsh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: sirsi
Posts: 102
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
Just to refresh everyone, the Nifty touched 5k for a day and then selling pressure made it again under 5000,


anyway What Stocks you all are trading these days ?
i have traded in futures of reliance, hdfc and hdfcbk on longside last week. i mostly trade intraday and tomorrow also thinking of going long in both hdfc and hdfcbank.
vsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 14:38   #1305
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Kochi
Posts: 2,147
Thanked: 143 Times
Default

15,700. Close to 1K lose in less than 10 trading days.

Where is the sensex going from here?

Hope to get some arrears of pay next week - looking forward to invest (I have a 2 to 3 year time horizon). What do you say? Is there going to be further downturn, or is this an aberration?
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stock Steering Wheel with Audio Controls Connected to After Market Headunit? Epic In-Car Entertainment 34 24th July 2014 12:36
Stock Market - Technical Analyis Tutorial carboy Shifting gears 5 24th June 2011 23:28
Games you can play at office (Flash / browser based) Spinnerr Shifting gears 24 23rd September 2010 20:37


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:47.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks