Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 13th June 2008, 16:53   #16
BHPian

Is this the same Sylvie(the celebrity hair stylist) who was very prominent on television channels a few years back.
yogi1771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2008, 16:57   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi1771 View Post
Is this the same Sylvie(the celebrity hair stylist) who was very prominent on television channels a few years back.
Yes, he/she is the same Sylvie. Not sure about the celebrity part though.

But mom visited him/her once without knowing the credentials. She was agahst at the confusion of gender, way of talking, body language etc. Needless to say, she ran out without getting a hair cut and till date, we share a good laugh at that incident.

Last edited by nishantgandhi : 13th June 2008 at 16:58.
nishantgandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2008, 17:00   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Dude, people in India dont get fired so easily. If this was to happen abroad i may agree, but in India, i definitely dont see any such actions.

We are known to be patient and forgiving.
Dude it happens, i complained and the the taxi service of a major hotel resort in Goa was cancelled. Not one employee but a whole fleet from one contractor was replaced.

We used to see such incidents quite a few times in Goa especially among the shack owners. But now it has become much better then the late 90's.

Lot of big hotels are quite scared to be pulled up for discrimination towards their customers. If you are victim spread the word.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2008, 17:03   #19
Team-BHP Support

Sylvie?!! Tanveer you are talking of the crossdresser or whatever he/she is? That sylvie is also a stylist and is very prominent on TV. Has that typical feminine way of speaking in a semi-male voice.

Last edited by Zappo : 13th June 2008 at 17:04.
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2008, 17:15   #20
Team-BHP Support

This is Sylvie
Rediff On The NeT, Life/Style: Dr Sylvester 'Sylvie' Rodgers refuses to be classified into any category
The inner Sylvie-Sunday Specials-Opinion-The Times of India

I cannot understand how someone who has faced so much discrimination allows the same in his biz.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2008, 17:28   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
This is Sylvie
Rediff On The NeT, Life/Style: Dr Sylvester 'Sylvie' Rodgers refuses to be classified into any category
The inner Sylvie-Sunday Specials-Opinion-The Times of India

I cannot understand how someone who has faced so much discrimination allows the same in his biz.
OT: Dude I have tried to remove the bug in your avatar but it just doesnt move

I bet many others would have tried the same.
Maybe I am the first to speak up
motorheadinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2008, 17:32   #22
Team-BHP Support

Normally these Salon's run by "famous hairdressers" are operated independetly. The hotel gets lot of money from them thats all.
This case if a little different from asking $$.

In the $$ case, there is clearly a case to take to the GM, but what do we tell the manager here, we got an appointment because we called up in American accent?

anyways I have made the name of the hotel and Salon in Public. As it happens in Free market vote with your Dollars(oops Rupees), and stop going to this chain.

Moreover I have heard this happening a lot in Goa(a newspaper also carried a piece about the same). Is it true?
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2008, 17:35   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

I have a second funda to add to that.

Most bikers are very very ill treated in five stars. Irrespective of you turning up in formals, and proceeding to spend corporate cash on a good party.

but that's a story for another day. This is uber amazing.

Same happens everywhere from bike hires to manali to goa
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2008, 17:36   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Dude it happens, i complained and the the taxi service of a major hotel resort in Goa was cancelled. Not one employee but a whole fleet from one contractor was replaced.
Glad to learn that businesses are taking customers more seriously. One should make a hue and cry in the media and print on such incidents.
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2008, 17:39   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Glad to learn that businesses are taking customers more seriously. One should make a hue and cry in the media and print on such incidents.
Ok, the incident here is
1. First call made appointment refused citing full calender
2. Second call made and appointment granted, possible cause, American accent.

This does not make a big new story.
However if this happens on Live TV where a call is made, and hotel refuses, and then at the second call in accent appointment is immediately granted.

This story peppered with that bearded Aaj tak guy swinging from the camera and jumping at 4000jpm, will make super prime time Masala.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2008, 17:39   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Okay, by public demand, the Hotel is "The Oberoi" near Pragati Maidan.
The salon is owned by some Sylvie,

As for me and my wife, we never go to 5* Hotels for things like hair cuts.
The only time we visit them is for the club/disc/lounge etc.,

As for tips from foreigners and Indians, well it depends on person to person. I have American friends who always tip 15% irrespective of the bill, and I know a few people here who always go for free valet parking(yours truly also does it sometimes ).

So which of you is going to Call up The Taj and see if they will cut your hair tomorrow?
Isnt' the Oberoi the one-stop shop for all luxury foreign brands atleast in North India.

And Sylvie .. the cross-dresser transvestite who used to be all over television during the 90s. She used to appear in any and every 'modern' show on tv.
lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2008, 19:08   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Moreover I have heard this happening a lot in Goa(a newspaper also carried a piece about the same). Is it true?
Aren't many of us a little selective? Imagine this, you are walking down a dark lonely street in the US. Straight up in front of you, you see a couple of black men (or puerto rican) walking towards you. Do you get alert? What if the men were white? I lived in MYC during the 80s (pre Rudy) I know how i would react. Do I like it? No. Can I change it? Maybe with a lot of determination.

In India, 5 star hotels in particular have learnt to distinguish who walks in by the way they carry themselves, dress, etc..

In India, Every "Bride" ad in our papers starts with the word "Fair"

In the late 80s worked for a company in Troy Michigan. We had sold some equipment to India. To commision the equipment we had to despatch a technician. Since I was Indian, the management thought it wise to send me along (also since I was an Engineer). The technician wanted to fly Air India becuase he was fond of Indian food etc.. so we flew Air India. We got 2 seats with an aisle between us. Everythime the technician asked for something the Indian air hostess would serve him, I often had to ask 2-3 times before getting service and this was in Business Class. As we departed the flight the customs waved the white technican though but insisted my bag be xrayed. On the way to the customer the technician whispers "How do you Indians expect us to respect you guys when you dont even respect yourselves".

In short this happens all over India. I call it the "Gora Sahib Syndrome". It will take a generation or two to change. I reckon the current breed of 20 somethings and generations that follow them wont have these hang-ups.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2008, 19:35   #28
BHPian

Well said. We should actually sue all ads on TV that make you fair - and those where a girl doesn't even look at you since you are black. This discrimination is worse than in any foreign country.

I always am amused when the security guards in my office stand up and salute the white visitors here, while some of the visitors even report to me. Needless to say, the same security guards care little for the brown skinners as me!
Glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2008, 22:28   #29
Senior - BHPian

The biggest discriminators in the world are Indians, if you ask me. We discriminate on the basis or religion, caste, creed, economic status and what not? Some times it is unconsciously done - for example, I would hesitate to give lift to a person who is shabbily dressed, but readily offer a lift to a well dressed gentleman. This comes from a fear of my own safety, expecting the gentleman to be one and the shabbily dressed one to be a crook. Can I change? Probably not. This attitude is ingrained in everyone - You are treated better if you are dressed well - be it in police stations, govt. offices or even restaurants.

I hated goa after one shack owner's dogs gave me and wife a torrid time. The dogs are trained to protect the goras(how they distinguish skin color is beyond me) and they chased us for no reason. The dogs were snarling and very aggressive. I held ground and threatened the dogs with my helmet. Guess what, the shack owner came out and and a huge row with me ! I felt bad, for not having the privilege to walk in the beaches of my own country, just because some foreigners are sun bathing. The dogs are loyal to them because the goras keep feeding the dogs biscuits and morsels of whatever they eat.
kuttapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2008, 22:54   #30
Senior - BHPian

I think ONLY indians do these discrimiation to Indians. The guy on the other side of Phone is also an Indian right?
So, its nobidy else than ourselves to be blamed.
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote