Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2017, 03:46   #301
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 31
Thanked: 62 Times
Default Re: Advice for Visas & Interviews

I got mine last October. Yes, it was pre Trump, but I believe the criteria for getting a tourist visa hasn't really changed. Below are my thoughts (others feel free to chime in here)

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
Thanks guys. Here is why I was asking.

1. I spoke to a travel agency called Arika that handles all travel/ticketing in a friends office and they said you don't have to show hotel bookings and air tickets! They sent me a list of documents which asked for an invitation letter if applicable, which a childhood friend is willing to send as he has invited me to stay with him in L.A. But then....
A) It is true that they don't require any tickets or accommodation. However, you're required to put down an address of the hotel/place that you're likely to be staying during your trip. I do believe it helps your case if you have all this sorted prior to the trip, but I'm sure the visa officer knows all the common practice that applicants follow, ie booking refundable hotels and tickets.


Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
2. Another very old friend works for Y-Axis since the last 2 years and he's had his US visa rejected 4 times so far since 2005 and he had shown an invitation letter from his elder sister who was a green card holder at the time so he says don't show them that you have any friends or family there at all. Just say you are going there for a holiday with the wife and kid.
A) I believe they prefer if you can show them that you're capable of paying for your own trip. It implies that you're doing relatively well, and less likely to seek out employment opportunities there.


Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
3. An ex colleague had his visa rejected 3 times and then the 4th time when he applied with wife and kid he got it so I've been told whenever you apply, make sure its along with the wife and kid as that just makes your case stronger, especially when you have a job and properties in your name here.
A) I believe this is true. Anything that helps prove you're attached to the country you're from, always helps.


Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
4. Everyone has told me that whether they give you the visa or not is usually decided on the online form you submit before you actually go for the interview and of course how you talk to them in the interview. These 2 things are the most important and that's why most of the times they don't ask for documents.
A) I've heard this as well, but no one really knows for sure. When I went to the consulate, I took NO documents with me. The visa officer simply checked my passport, asked me about the trips I made recently (like how was it and if I enjoyed myself there) and approved the visa in about 2 minutes.
Biohazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2017, 07:29   #302
Senior - BHPian
 
hserus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,863
Thanked: 1,896 Times
Default Re: Advice for Visas & Interviews

Haha. For my ten year b1 renewal a couple of years back, I had taken a ton of derided documents. The official took none of them except the copy of the visa application form and my passport, collected biometrics and sent me on my way. I got the renewed ten year visa by courier in a couple of days.
hserus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2017, 09:24   #303
BHPian
 
jacobvarughese's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 244
Thanked: 208 Times
Default Re: Advice for Visas & Interviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Haha. For my ten year b1 renewal a couple of years back, I had taken a ton of derided documents. The official took none of them except the copy of the visa application form and my passport, collected biometrics and sent me on my way. I got the renewed ten year visa by courier in a couple of days.
Thanks for your experience.

However, isn't it true that one need not visit the US Consulate in-person to renew their visas and could choose to use 'courier' services? Certain, we must be living in the same address and it should also be the same category of visa the applicant intends to apply.
jacobvarughese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2017, 09:37   #304
Senior - BHPian
 
hserus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,863
Thanked: 1,896 Times
Default Re: Advice for Visas & Interviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobvarughese View Post
Thanks for your experience.

However, isn't it true that one need not visit the US Consulate in-person to renew their visas and could choose to use 'courier' services? Certain, we must be living in the same address and it should also be the same category of visa the applicant intends to apply.
They will probably let you know. In my case my previous 10 year visa was issued before biometrics collection became general so I needed to go get all that done.
hserus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2017, 10:32   #305
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 84
Thanked: 117 Times
Default Re: Advice for Visas & Interviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
They will probably let you know. In my case my previous 10 year visa was issued before biometrics collection became general so I needed to go get all that done.
Thats true. If you have already had your biometrics done on the B1 earlier you do not need to visit in person or face an interview.

I am also told that cases where there are multiple BVs used on the passport - UK Business Visa, Schengen Visa etc that are stamped and used - typically makes your case stronger that the person is a genuine Business traveller.
GJ01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2017, 14:57   #306
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 31
Thanked: 62 Times
Default Re: Advice for Visas & Interviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Haha. For my ten year b1 renewal a couple of years back, I had taken a ton of derided documents. The official took none of them except the copy of the visa application form and my passport, collected biometrics and sent me on my way. I got the renewed ten year visa by courier in a couple of days.
Lol. I think it's something everyone sort of knows. However, no ones wants to take a chance of not having any supporting documents on them (INCASE it's required).
Biohazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2017, 12:07   #307
BHPian
 
nijelj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bangalore-Ktym
Posts: 364
Thanked: 346 Times
Default Re: Advice for Visas & Interviews

Hello, Needed help regarding Schengen Visa (Tourism) through VFS + German consulate at Bangalore

My understanding is that I have to get an appointment at VFS for document submission and Biometrics. After they get required documents, VFS will forward this to German consulate. If approved, my passport gets updated with the Schengen visa and they send it to VFS who in turn sends it back to me.

Q1. Is my above understanding correct?

Q2. There is also an online form that CAN be filled. It ask for details like 'Reference' 'Member states of Destination' etc. Since we are going to visit Technically 7 countries, this form in not sufficient. So, do we HAVE to fill this form? Or can we directly go to VFS on appointment day with all travel documents, Itinerary etc and get it done there?

Q3. Is there any problem in saying that during the tour, we may visit some relatives( we are not staying with them though, we have Hotel bookings for all nights)

Q4. What is the minimum amount required in Bank for proving that I can fund my family's (2 adults, 1 child,1 infant) tour? Is there a minimum per day amount? This is apart from Travel medical insurance of course.

Thanks in advance!
nijelj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2017, 12:24   #308
Senior - BHPian
 
hserus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,863
Thanked: 1,896 Times
Default Re: Advice for Visas & Interviews

Fill the online form - it makes processing that much easier. Use two letter country codes (US, CA, UK, FR etc) instead of writing the full country name.

If you have hotel bookings for your entire trip go ahead and just mention you're at the hotel. There's no need to include relative visits etc.

As for money - it all depends on the German consulates' discretion. If you have a job in a well known company, a decent bank balance showing regular salary credits, etc etc they generally won't raise any objection once you give them a confirmed roundtrip ticket and an itinerary showing you staying at a good hotel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijelj View Post
Q2. There is also an online form that CAN be filled. It ask for details like 'Reference' 'Member states of Destination' etc. Since we are going to visit Technically 7 countries, this form in not sufficient. So, do we HAVE to fill this form? Or can we directly go to VFS on appointment day with all travel documents, Itinerary etc and get it done there?

Q3. Is there any problem in saying that during the tour, we may visit some relatives( we are not staying with them though, we have Hotel bookings for all nights)
hserus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2017, 22:27   #309
BHPian
 
Saanil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 379
Thanked: 186 Times
Default Re: Advice for Visas & Interviews

Hi Guys,

I have got a specific issue for which I need help from experts here. I am planning a family trip to Switzerland with my parents and my wife. I got married in Nov 2016 and post that, I renewed my passport wherein I also added my wife's name in my passport. However, my wife's passport was issued in 2015 and there was no need to renew her passport. We thought there is no need to renew her passport just to add my name to her passport (which is valid till 2025). Also, my wife's passport has her old address.

Now while applying for Schengen visa, we need to add address. So my question is: for my wife, should we enter her old address i.e. the address which is there on her passport? Do they ask for a marriage certificate? I have booked flight tickets and made hotel bookings as we need to submit them for applying a visa. Now I am scared whether we will get a Visa or not.

Has anyone come across such a situation. Any idea how to proceed? I am thinking my wife should enter her old address which is there on her passport too. Any suggestions?

Last edited by Saanil : 15th May 2017 at 22:28.
Saanil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2017, 14:09   #310
Senior - BHPian
 
hserus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,863
Thanked: 1,896 Times
Default Re: Advice for Visas & Interviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Now while applying for Schengen visa, we need to add address. So my question is: for my wife, should we enter her old address i.e. the address which is there on her passport? Do they ask for a marriage certificate? I have booked flight tickets and made hotel bookings as we need to submit them for applying a visa. Now I am scared whether we will get a Visa or not.
Add your current address and carry address proofs.

To prove that she is your wife - either her passport has your name as w/o in the details page, or an "inclusion" can be made by the passport office - stamped on one of the inner pages.
hserus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2017, 14:37   #311
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 186
Thanked: 169 Times
Default Re: Advice for Visas & Interviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Add your current address and carry address proofs.
On the other hand, if addresses in both the passports are different (say in case of staying in rented accommodation and people are on move), what address should be mentioned in the visa form? Will the address in rental agreement be a valid proof as alternative for passport address which is not updated? In short, will the authorities insist that the address in passport(s) be current?
AltoLXI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2017, 14:51   #312
Senior - BHPian
 
hserus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,863
Thanked: 1,896 Times
Default Re: Advice for Visas & Interviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
On the other hand, if addresses in both the passports are different (say in case of staying in rented accommodation and people are on move), what address should be mentioned in the visa form? Will the address in rental agreement be a valid proof as alternative for passport address which is not updated? In short, will the authorities insist that the address in passport(s) be current?
See the faq on every VFS schengen site

Quote:
Q:24 - What address do I mention on the application form, if my current home address and my address on the passport is not the same?
You must mention your current home address in India and not the address noted in your passport. It is in order for the current home address to differ from the address noted in your passport.
"In order" (or german - in ordnung) means "normal" or "ok" in this case.
hserus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2017, 14:58   #313
BHPian
 
Saanil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 379
Thanked: 186 Times
Default Re: Advice for Visas & Interviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Add your current address and carry address proofs.

To prove that she is your wife - either her passport has your name as w/o in the details page, or an "inclusion" can be made by the passport office - stamped on one of the inner pages.
If I enter her current address, the passport authorities may raise an issue that the address on her passport (i.e. the pre-marriage address) is different from the address which she has entered in the application form (which is our current address). I have made bookings for 16th June 2017 and I do not think there is enough time for me to update her passport details (by adding my name to her passport).
Saanil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2017, 15:01   #314
Senior - BHPian
 
hserus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,863
Thanked: 1,896 Times
Default Re: Advice for Visas & Interviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
If I enter her current address, the passport authorities may raise an issue that the address on her passport (i.e. the pre-marriage address) is different from the address which she has entered in the application form (which is our current address). I have made bookings for 16th June 2017 and I do not think there is enough time for me to update her passport details (by adding my name to her passport).
Please dont overthink it.

1. You dont need updated address in the passport for a schengen visa

2. For address change, inclusion of husbands name in a passport you have detailed instructions in the wizard on passportindia.gov.in so following it will get you results faster than asking these questions here.
hserus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2017, 20:57   #315
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 462
Thanked: 153 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
I have made bookings for 16th June 2017 and I do not think there is enough time for me to update her passport details (by adding my name to her passport).
When I first travelled with my wife abroad, we had different addresses in the passport. It was only at the Bangalore airport Immigration that I was asked if the lady accompanying was my wife (just because she jumped right behind me in the queue). Officer asked if I was having a marriage certificate, answer was Yes. No further questions. Landed in Europe, guys there were least bothered.
So carry proofs just in case.
sansvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Planning 15,000 kms, 32 day road-trip (23 States & Bhutan) - Suggestions & advice? Renjith_Mani Route / Travel Queries 27 24th August 2015 16:55
Advice on using a car Body Cover & washing webjunk Technical Stuff 24 17th November 2009 17:42
Hyundai Santro - Sub & Amp advice needed jobinjv In-Car Entertainment 17 7th July 2009 14:45


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 21:25.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks