Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2009, 14:19   #91
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam003 View Post
One of my friend travelling on its old H1 (although for the first time on H1), during mid April 15. I heard from some friends in US, that immigration agents at port of entry are making troubles at this point. They are calling the client and asking the details of employment etc.
Does anyone went on H1 during March or any one planning to move now, Please share the experience. What precautions we have to take along with docs.
Ask him to carry his "onsite" and "Offshore" Project Manager's contact numbers and also the address where he would be staying in the USA should be handy. Immigration officers are know to be a little tricky to guys who are travelling for the first time and could create some issues. Ask your friend to be confident and answer with utmost politeness and I don't see any issues he stepping his foot outside the airport. Till then he can watch "The Terminal"

The Terminal (2004)
Old 27th March 2009, 14:44   #92
Senior - BHPian

Ask you friend to be confident and be clear of where he is going and what he is going to do. And yes, as said above, tell him to carry the relevant document on where staying, with whom working and a contact number of the person in charge there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
... Till then he can watch "The Terminal"

The Terminal (2004)
Wow Amtak, of all the movies you really needed to give this suggestion, didn't you!
Old 27th March 2009, 14:59   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Ask him to carry his "onsite" and "Offshore" Project Manager's contact numbers and also the address where he would be staying in the USA should be handy. Immigration officers are know to be a little tricky to guys who are travelling for the first time and could create some issues. Ask your friend to be confident and answer with utmost politeness and I don't see any issues he stepping his foot outside the airport. Till then he can watch "The Terminal"

The Terminal (2004)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Ask you friend to be confident and be clear of where he is going and what he is going to do. And yes, as said above, tell him to carry the relevant document on where staying, with whom working and a contact number of the person in charge there.

Wow Amtak, of all the movies you really needed to give this suggestion, didn't you!
Seems Like I was not able to make my question clear. Its not about being confident or what. Now a days Mr. Obama administration is behing any kind immigrants. So they are finding ways to stop people to enter in USA. Just an example, I have one friend who was on H1 in USA for more than 4 yrs, he came on some family emergency leaving his family in USA. Now while coming back to USA, immigration officer deny giving I94 to him, stating you are not able to give proper proof etc etc. He said his family is there, Ans came don't worry we will send them back too.
So Just want to ask if this sort of situation came across to any off the Team-bhp member or to anyone we know.
Old 27th March 2009, 15:16   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So Just want to ask if this sort of situation came across to any off the Team-bhp member or to anyone we know.
The chances are that the officer was not in a very good mood or someone from the same company said something to the officer because of which he might have got offended. My brother's visa was rejected purely on the grounds of a fight that his another colleague had with the counselor and his interview was taken just 30 mins post the war by the same officer. No questions asked, just that he took the name of the company, project and 'stamped the rejection'.

Quote:
That's the last resort. In any case, it must be nice to stay inside the airport. I love it. I reach atleast 3.5 hours in advance to see what people do! And yes, If i know someone who's as beautiful as Catherine Zeta-Jones, inside the airport then toh, masha allah!

PS: My wife's working for KFA. My Catherine!!!!!
Old 27th March 2009, 15:47   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...In any case, it must be nice to stay inside the airport. I love it. I reach atleast 3.5 hours in advance to see what people do! And yes, If i know someone who's as beautiful as Catherine Zeta-Jones, inside the airport then toh, masha allah!...
Let me tell you, staying inside an airport sucks, big time! Had spend just 3 days inside Sharjah airport when I went for a visa change! The word 'pathetic' is not enough. There were people stuck there for weeks on end with no idea what will happen. Never knew that people will be left like that in airport!

But in those 3 days, saw a lot of things that usually goes un-noticed when we all are rushing thru the gate and thru immigration. One of these incidents was a yester-year heroine of our Mumbai industry literally begging a senior arab immigration officer to help her get thru. The only thing she did not do was actually fall at his feet!

EDIT: Sigh! But in all those 3 days, never saw anyone even close to Catherine! Sigh!

Last edited by HappyWheels : 27th March 2009 at 15:48.
Old 27th March 2009, 16:46   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

EDIT: Sigh! But in all those 3 days, never saw anyone even close to Catherine! Sigh!
She was there, probably under a purdah
Old 27th March 2009, 18:03   #97
BHPian

Quote:
I have one friend who was on H1 in USA for more than 4 yrs, he came on some family emergency leaving his family in USA. Now while coming back to USA, immigration officer deny giving I94 to him, stating you are not able to give proper proof etc etc. He said his family is there, Ans came don't worry we will send them back too.
Oh man, thats scary
Old 29th May 2009, 17:07   #98
BHPian

Guys one update, one of my junior reached US on H1B without any hassel. Immigration officer just ask him 2 questions. First one what profile you work and another for whom you are going to work. that's it and he is in. He took SFO as port of entry.
Old 30th May 2009, 12:26   #99
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Let me tell you, staying inside an airport sucks, big time! Had spend just 3 days inside Sharjah airport when I went for a visa change! The word 'pathetic' is not enough. There were people stuck there for weeks on end with no idea what will happen. Never knew that people will be left like that in airport!
OT but related : Have you watched Terminal (Tom Hanks)? MUST see. Highly recommended (like most other movies of his).
Old 31st May 2009, 07:33   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
OT but related : Have you watched Terminal (Tom Hanks)? MUST see. Highly recommended (like most other movies of his).
What a coincidence! I watched this movie last night and just stumbled upon this post now! And yes, the Spielberg/Hanks combination is too good.
Old 16th November 2009, 12:52   #101
BHPian

Questions Regarding Schengen Tourist Visa (Czech Republic) - Please Advise

Hi TBHPians.

Someone I know is planning to visit Prague, Czech Republic in the next four months. His girlfriend will be traveling there soon on Business purpose and my friend wants to visit her for Valentines day. Please note that my friend will be traveling around two months AFTER his girlfriend has reached Prague. And his girlfriend has visited numerous European countries on Business in the last few years.

Some info on my friend:
  • This is his first international travel.
  • He is working as a Contractor (consultant) at a Major MNC from the past one and a half years.
  • Though he is working at an MNC, his employer is a manpower consultancy (their name is kind of funny and includes the word 'Kleening' in their company name. But its not involved with Kleening but work is related to Engineering).
  • His monthly Salary is Rs. 12, 250.
  • His education is 10th Standard (SSLC). He studied 12th too but had to discontinue due to some reasons. He has 5 years work experience (first with Tehelka, then four and a half years managing own family business, before working with the firm he is in right now). He got the job based on this expertise and experience. And though he is not highly educated, he is proficient in English and knows how to behave like a dignified person. He is also quite knowledgeable.
  • His travel itinerary will be to fly from Bangalore to Prague, stay with his girlfriend at her apartment provided by her office, during weekdays explore Czech Republic alone, during weekends travel with her Girlfriend to other Schengen countries.
  • He also has a friend (Indian) in Germany who recently went there to study. So he plans to visit Germany during his stay in Prague.
  • He can provide details of funds, health insurance to support his travel.
  • His total trip duration will be 2 weeks.
Now my friend has the following questions and he is really REALLY worried about these things:
  1. Will his education level affect his VISA application?
  2. Will his designation (Contractor or Contract Worker) affect the VISA application?
  3. And since he has to provide a letter from his employer, will the name of his company (it has the word 'kleening') affect the VISA application?
  4. He wants to know if he should apply VISA through Czech Republic Embassy or through German Embassy as hes heard getting German VISA is easy (first port of entry can be either Germany or Prague, and weekdays stay will be in Prague, weekend will be traveling around Europe).
  5. Since he will be applying for a Tourist VISA, should he provide an Invite letter from someone in Prague /Germany? If yes, then can his girlfriend who is on a Business VISA provide an invite or can his friend who is on a student VISA to Germany provide the invite? If neither, than who can provide an invite as he knows no-one there.
  6. When visiting Prague, he will be staying with his Girlfriend in her Company provided apartment and when in Germany he will be staying with his friend in his private rented apartment. So with the application, what document should he provide as proof of staying arrangements?
As of now these are the questions nagging him. I confidently told him that I will check with TBHPians and get suggestions as I know I can rely on fellow members here.

So request you to kindly give inputs on the above questions and also any other advise you can give.

Thanks a ton and more!

Last edited by ashwinsid : 16th November 2009 at 13:12.
Old 16th November 2009, 13:23   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

Baap re complications. lol.

Prague is a beautiful place. With a beautiful city like that and his lady by his side- your friend will have a great holiday.

Your worries are over-complicated. Too complicated. It is just a visa for God's sake, not a residence permit.

Now your questions:
  1. Will his education level affect his VISA application? - No. A tourist does not need education in advance. It has no bearing.
  2. Will his designation (Contractor or Contract Worker) affect the VISA application? - No. What job he does has no bearing on his tourist visa.
  3. And since he has to provide a letter from his employer, will the name of his company (it has the word 'kleening') affect the VISA application? No, this is really and truly irrelevant.
    The company has to provide a letter stating
    • that your friend is an employee
    • That he has been authorized leave for the tenure of ________ to ___________
    • That he intends to visit as a tourist.
    • That during his travels he intends to visit Germany and the Czech Republic and his employers have no objection to this.

It simply does not matter what the name of the company is as long as it is officially registered in India.
  4. He wants to know if he should apply VISA through Czech Republic Embassy or through German Embassy as hes heard getting German VISA is easy (first port of entry can be either Germany or Prague, and weekdays stay will be in Prague, weekend will be traveling around Europe).

He has heard incorrectly. Getting a German visa is a little more difficult than getting other visas. He should apply for a German visa if his first port of entry is in Germany. In fact I recommend it because
    • A German visa has more value and will feature as a plus point in his future visa applications
    • To get a Czech visa he must approach the consulate in New Delhi. AFAIK there is none in Mumbai.
    • Going to the Czech republic from Germany and returning back is no problem. There is no passport control between the 2 countries. Flights coming from Germany and to Czech and bak do not require him to produce his passport or visa. However it is necessary for him to carry his passport and visa on his person at all times.

5. Since he will be applying for a Tourist VISA, should he provide an Invite letter from someone in Prague /Germany? If yes, then can his girlfriend who is on a Business VISA provide an invite or can his friend who is on a student VISA to Germany provide the invite? If neither, than who can provide an invite as he knows no-one there.

His girlfriend who is on a Business visa cannot invite him. Unless she has a German or Czech Passport or residence, she cannot invite him there.
    However, his friend who is living in Germany on a student visa can.

Please ask his friend to write an email to him. A regular casual email - not a "I hereby invite you etc." just a regular casual email, inviting him and a short itinerary and preferably some hotel reservation.
    The itinerary can include a visit to the Czech Republic and you won't need to present further details. The email can say "plan to look for some student hostels etc."
    However during his stay in Germany, he should either have a hotel reservation, OR the student can invite him to stay in his house.
    In this case, the student should include a copy of his passport, student visa and any residence proof.

Your friend will need to prove that he can take care of himself while he is in Germany. This can be done either by including a copy of an International Credit card, or by purchasing Euros officially from an authorized forex agent and endorsing it in his passport.

Apart from this, your friend should present his last 3 salary slips and the last 3 statements from his bank account.

Attach all of this to a covering letter addresed to the German Generalconsulat, Hoechst House, Nariman Point, Mumbai.
    Tell him to go himself

The form itself should be filled up online and printed. All other info can be found here German Consulate General Mumbai - Visa Information & Consular Services
  6. When visiting Prague, he will be staying with his Girlfriend in her Company provided apartment and when in Germany he will be staying with his friend in his private rented apartment. So with the application, what document should he provide as proof of staying arrangements?

If he is applying to the German Generalconsulat, he need not show proof of residence in Prague. As I have mentioned, the email of the friend should show intent to visit prague and look for cheap hostels upon arrival. Please note the use of the word hostel, they do not provide advance booking.
WHEEEEWWWWW!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinsid View Post
Hi TBHPians.

Someone I know is planning to visit Prague, Czech Republic in the next four months. His girlfriend will be traveling there soon on Business purpose and my friend wants to visit her for Valentines day. Please note that my friend will be traveling around two months AFTER his girlfriend has reached Prague. And his girlfriend has visited numerous European countries on Business in the last few years.

Some info on my friend:
  • This is his first international travel.
  • He is working as a Contractor (consultant) at a Major MNC from the past one and a half years.
  • Though he is working at an MNC, his employer is a manpower consultancy (their name is kind of funny and includes the word 'Kleening' in their company name. But its not involved with Kleening but work is related to Engineering).
  • His monthly Salary is Rs. 12, 250.
  • His education is 10th Standard (SSLC). He studied 12th too but had to discontinue due to some reasons. He has 5 years work experience (first with Tehelka, then four and a half years managing own family business, before working with the firm he is in right now). He got the job based on this expertise and experience.
  • His travel itinerary will be to fly from Bangalore to Prague, stay with his girlfriend at her apartment provided by her office, during weekdays explore Czech Republic alone, during weekends travel with her Girlfriend to other Schengen countries.
  • He also has a friend (Indian) in Germany who recently went there to study. So he plans to visit Germany during his stay in Prague.
  • He can provide details of funds, health insurance to support his travel.
  • His total trip duration will be 2 weeks.
Now my friend has the following questions and he is really REALLY worried about these things:
  1. Will his education level affect his VISA application?
  2. Will his designation (Contractor or Contract Worker) affect the VISA application?
  3. And since he has to provide a letter from his employer, will the name of his company (it has the word 'kleening') affect the VISA application?
As of now these are the questions nagging him. I confidently told him that I will check with TBHPians and get suggestions as I know I can rely on fellow members here.

So request you to kindly give inputs on the above questions and also any other advise you can give.

Thanks a ton and more!
Old 16th November 2009, 13:37   #103
BHPian

Is'nt Germany part of Schengen agreement? In that case where ever he applies for visa, should be able to pass through the rest right? The only point is that he should land in the schengen country which issued the visa. It could be Germany or CZech, which ever is convenient.

But Sam has answered all your queries. As a tourist, all you need is money to show that you will be taken care of.

Ask him not to worry too much, contact VFS and they will do the scrutiny of documents. They are quiet efficient as well.

Nainar
Old 16th November 2009, 14:28   #104
BHPian

@Sam . Billions of Blue Blistering Barnacles! Thanks a ton for that reply. I guess we can lock the thread, now that all the queries have been answered. LOL. Seriously, thank you so much.

One small doubt though:

- He will spend the major part of his trip in Prague. He prefers to fly back to Bangalore from Prague itself. So if he applies for a German Visa, is it mandatory that Germany should be the First port of entry and the port of exit also?

Last edited by ashwinsid : 16th November 2009 at 14:37.
Old 16th November 2009, 14:43   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinsid View Post

- He will spend the major part of his trip in Prague. He prefers to fly back to Bangalore from Prague itself. So if he applies for a German Visa, is it mandatory that Germany should be the First port of entry and the port of exit also?
Germany should be the first port of entry if your friend gets a Schengen visa from Germany. Am not sure about port of exit. I think they dont care. But the airlines would insist on the same port of entry/exit if you want to good fare. If it is different entry/exit, they may charge a premium.

Nainar

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks