Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2012, 16:41   #166
BHPian

re: Advice for Visas & Interviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
I have not heard of IELTS needed for the interview.
It is probably needed for the visa/ permanent residency.
However, with Germany this is highly unlikely. They will want you to learn German instead.
Thanks S_U_N, but the consulate website carries a page on documents required for a student visa. One point there says "Proof of Language Skills: if your course is taught in English - IELTS/TOEFL/equivalent qualification".

What I am a bit confused about is this: the university specifically stated that I do not need a TOEFL score if my previous education was in English (as mentioned on my transcript of marks). All 18 years of my education were in English. Do I really need to drop 10 grand on an English test now? If the university accepts that I dont, can't I bypass the question at the visa interview based on their word?
Old 2nd January 2013, 18:23   #167
Senior - BHPian

My neighbours had visa interview this morning. I had helped them with the entire process. Both are senior citizens
This was for US B2 tourist visa.
They have a few siblings in US and wanted to visit them.
Sadly they were denied tourist visa.
They were informed that they did not have pension nor a property in their name. So, it seemed they were quite likely to settle down in US
(I don't know why that should prevent them for giving even a tourist visa though).

I don't know what is the next step they should take, but it is Rs. 18500 down the drain.
:(
Old 2nd January 2013, 19:07   #168
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
They have a few siblings in US and wanted to visit them.
Sadly they were denied tourist visa.
They were informed that they did not have pension nor a property in their name. So, it seemed they were quite likely to settle down in US
(I don't know why that should prevent them for giving even a tourist visa though).
What part you are surprised about? This is the main reason for rejection of US tourist visa for decades. If you have direct relatives who are US citizens and not much to hold you down to India, your chances of rejection is almost guaranteed.
Old 2nd January 2013, 19:22   #169
Senior - BHPian

^Well, what prevents them from granting non-immigrant tourist visa? I can understand the risk of people getting to US and not coming back. But the B2 visa has a limited validity and the stay has a maximum limit too.
They have provided contact details of where they would stay and supporting documents of US contacts, their tax statements and so on. So, there is no chance of them absconding after landing there.

So, where is the problem?

Edit: They can always be denied immigrant visa if they apply for the same later on.
If I wish to take my wife and kid to Disneyland, what are my chances? I am 32, employed in India, no property in my name.

Last edited by S_U_N : 2nd January 2013 at 19:24.
Old 2nd January 2013, 19:42   #170
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
But the B2 visa has a limited validity and the stay has a maximum limit too.
So, where is the problem?
Once they are in US, they can apply for adjustment of status to get a GC and can stick around forever.

Quote:
Edit: They can always be denied immigrant visa if they apply for the same later on.
They can keep appealing and hang on for years.

Quote:
If I wish to take my wife and kid to Disneyland, what are my chances? I am 32, employed in India, no property in my name.
If you don't have direct relatives as US citizens, your chances are good.

I never bothered to apply for GC despite living there for 9 years, so I am not familiar with the exact procedures and form names. Even people who applied just when I left got their GC.

Last edited by Samurai : 2nd January 2013 at 19:54. Reason: typos
Old 2nd January 2013, 20:30   #171
Senior - BHPian

Guys - has any one travelled to SriLanka recently ? I am going on a tourist visa in a weeks time. Got the travel approval email online and have been instructed to just carry a print out of this with "proof of suffient funds". When I email then on what is acceptable "proof of suffient funds" haven't got a reply. While I presume something like a 3month bank statement may suffice,any other thoughts ?
Old 2nd January 2013, 22:51   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Once they are in US, they can apply for adjustment of status to get a GC and can stick around forever.
Did not know that someone can go on tourist visa (which allows stay for 120 days I believe) and then apply for GC.

Quote:
They can keep appealing and hang on for years.
Well, every time you file for B1/2 visa, you pay about Rs. 9000. I don't think most people will try more than twice unless someone is desperate AND has loads of cash to gamble with.

Quote:
If you don't have direct relatives as US citizens, your chances are good.
Glad to report I don't have any direct relatives in US. Will try when I have enough money for disneyland.
Old 3rd January 2013, 10:57   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Did not know that someone can go on tourist visa (which allows stay for 120 days I believe) and then apply for GC.
While I was there a few years ago, we had a regular desi taxi driver who had entered this way. then married some girl of mexican origin and was living with her. was also paying her money for the marriage. things like this happen.

Quote:
Well, every time you file for B1/2 visa, you pay about Rs. 9000. I don't think most people will try more than twice unless someone is desperate AND has loads of cash to gamble with.
I dont think appeals there cost 9k, but I am not sure. Even if they do cost that much, some people would be willing to pay that much to stay on.

Quote:
Glad to report I don't have any direct relatives in US. Will try when I have enough money for disneyland.
If you are going so far only for Disneyland there is one near Paris. Also one in Hongkong I think. You could save time and money

Last edited by GTO : 19th March 2013 at 13:37. Reason: Typo
Old 3rd January 2013, 14:03   #174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
While I was there a few years ago, we had a regular desi taxi driver who had entered this way. then married some girl of mexican origin and was living with her. was also paying her money for the marriage. things like this happen.
Perhaps possible to do such things at a younger age. But considering age of applicants to be above 60, consulate will have reasonable assurance that old-age applicants won't do such things.

Quote:

I dont think appeals there cost 9k, but I am not sure. Even if they do cost that much, some people would be willing to pay that much to stay on.
Don't know about 'appeals'. Is that used to challenge the decision of the consulate or get some extension of stay?

Quote:
If you are going so far only for Disneyland there is one near Paris. Also one in Hongkong I think. You could save time and money
Well, the ones in US (and that too the one in California) are the best in terms of the theme parks. I am aware of HK and Paris, but they are not that appealing, though cheaper.

Also, if reasonable time is available, then the trip could extend from 1 week to 3 weeks and cover other attractions in US as well (e.g. New York city). So, perhaps it would be right to say Disnelyand would be the main attraction, but there would be other destinations as well if time (and the visa) permits.

Last edited by GTO : 19th March 2013 at 13:37. Reason: Typo
Old 3rd January 2013, 15:57   #175
BHPian

Guys,
Need your help, I have a US L1 Blanket petition which i got in Feb,2012 and didnt have too much of trouble, thankfully.
Unfortunately, One of my colleague was rejected the same (Chennai Consulate), July,2012 and was told upfront that L1 band has become very thin now and there is no room for any doubt whatsoever. The consulate was extremely meticluous and i know they have to be.
He is again preparing for an L1 but this time an individual petition as per the suggestion from the company travel consultants in U.S citing reasons that the blanket petition was rejected last time. Now the question is, there is lot more to be filled and explained while applying to the USCIS compared to what it was for Blanket. Is that genuine ? If yes, what is the difference in tru sense (I know the basic diff between blanket and individual) and what kind of questions can be asked here and which would be the strongest points to avoid a rejection again.

Thanks in Advance.

Last edited by Shiv_1984 : 3rd January 2013 at 15:57. Reason: Grammer
Old 10th January 2013, 02:06   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by infotech58 View Post
if you get PR, you can apply for citizenship after staying for three years in Canada. to retain your PR status, you've to stay in Canada for 3 years out of first 5 years of getting PR.

PM me with any specific information you might want and I will try to help.
Hi Sumeet,

I'm talked to a consulting firm and they said that I can apply for PR from Quebec right now. First they'll evaluate my application and once it's positive, they can go ahead and register for the PR.
Now that you are in Toronto, what's your thoughts on Quebec. A friend of mine who is in Alberta said, it's like a nation of it's own and it will be difficult for an outsider to feel at home. Is it so?
Anticipating your reply soon
Old 10th January 2013, 06:20   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arunshek View Post
Hi Sumeet,

I'm talked to a consulting firm and they said that I can apply for PR from Quebec right now. First they'll evaluate my application and once it's positive, they can go ahead and register for the PR.
Now that you are in Toronto, what's your thoughts on Quebec. A friend of mine who is in Alberta said, it's like a nation of it's own and it will be difficult for an outsider to feel at home. Is it so?
Why do you think Quebec has its own set of rules for immigration?

If you are not proficient in French, only option in Quebec for you is Montreal. French is the ONLY official language in Quebec and outside of Montreal around 98% of population has French as their first language.

And if you are into IT, a large percentage of IT jobs of Canada are concentrated around Toronto area. Trying to search an IT job in Montreal would be like searching for an IT job in a city like Bhubaneswar where opportunities exist but not as many as there are in Mumbai or Pune.

Engage in some meaningful discussions on TBHP, upgrade your status from Newbie and once you are eligible to PM, do PM me and we'd talk about the PR thing in detail.

Last edited by infotech58 : 10th January 2013 at 06:29.
Old 10th January 2013, 14:39   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arunshek View Post
Hi Sumeet,

I know someone who just shifted to Alberta from a small city in Gujarat. She paid about Rs. 60000 to a consultant. The total expenses were around 2-2.5 lac AFAIK.
Alberta is booming due to large scale industries - e.g. mining industry. This is what I have heard.

Quebec is not a place where many people from India/Asia go. Stick to the more popular destinations for the first few years and then you can try venturing into the other areas.
Old 20th January 2013, 23:31   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Why do you think Quebec has its own set of rules for immigration?

If you are not proficient in French, only option in Quebec for you is Montreal. French is the ONLY official language in Quebec and outside of Montreal around 98% of population has French as their first language.
That's because there's a seperate SWP (Skilled Worker's Prg) for Quebec, apart from usual FSPW. The consultant gave input that currently this is the only PR program open. FSPW is slated to be opened on May this year.
Myself and my spouse is comfortable picking up a new language and will be enrolling for french classes from next week. Yes, The obvious destination is Montreal.

Quote:
And if you are into IT, a large percentage of IT jobs of Canada are concentrated around Toronto area. Trying to search an IT job in Montreal would be like searching for an IT job in a city like Bhubaneswar where opportunities exist but not as many as there are in Mumbai or Pune.
Yes, I'm into IT. The input I got was, there's no restriction on movement once we get a PR. That is, though I'm getting a PR through Quebec, I can later move out. (I need to clarify this once again; Do you have any input on this? PMing you soon)

Quote:
Quebec is not a place where many people from India/Asia go. Stick to the more popular destinations for the first few years and then you can try venturing into the other areas.
True S_U_N, but if I get a good opportunity in Montreal, It's better. The thing is that currenly no PR program open. I did a good reading into Quebec and I kind start to like that place. Montreal is a good place to be even if you are a beginner in french
Old 21st January 2013, 09:03   #180
BHPian

I was at Chennai US consulate last week and observed some folks begging with the interviewer to let them through. Needless to say they were rejected. Come on guys. US not not some other worldly place. They need us to run their businesses competitively. Be firm, be professional.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks