Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 10th June 2010, 21:00   #211
Senior - BHPian

@aargee, a big difference is the elder one grew up living with adults, the younger one has a company! We see the same with our younger son. He shows more childish and immature traits than elder one. But he also has an advantage of getting everything tried and tested.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2010, 21:49   #212
Senior - BHPian

Hi all,

I am new here in the forum. This one is a very interesting thread. I have a 30 Apr 05 born daughter (True Taurean like me ). Expecting an addition to my family sometime in Sep/Oct. Yashika, my daughter has changed my life ever since she was conceived. I remember feeling her movements inside the tummy when she was abt 20-22 weeks. Like all the daughters she is extremely loving. You wont believe me she caused me to leave smoking (Clean 3 years without smoking and no urge- I hate smoking now). She even scolds us if we talk (me and wife) in loud voice. She makes us say sorry immediately if a small household tit-bit happens with wife. Sometimes I feel she's not like child at all. Only fast food she takes is Maggie one a week by rule. Very less on chocolates, ice-creams, pizzas etc. Our philosophy is parents should produce examples for their kids. So we dont take these items either. Secondly, dont keep the items at home which you dont want your kids to eat.

She loves Shin Chan, Doraemon like other kids. (She has to rely on old recordings as there is no telecast of hungama here). I have lots of collection of Barbie movies and that of other disney characters. She loves animated Ramayan too.

Yashika is now in KG-1 here. Eager to learn and play. We give her a lot of quality time. Always my spend full holidays and maximum free time with her. Wife also did not pick up the job for the same reason.

We have enjoyed each and every moment of my parenthood.
TaureanBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2010, 05:41   #213
Senior - BHPian

@vivekiny2k - You're absolutely right on this one again Vivek. We've seen her eyes always following on the elder one. Most of the time, she likes watching him for all the actions. She has one great problem & a big headache for us - very less sleep. She hardly sleeps for about 10 hours a day with several breaks; while I remember my Son at the same age of 6 months used to sleep for atleast 13-14 hours.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2010, 23:34   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
Hi all,
Very less on chocolates, ice-creams, pizzas etc.
Are chocolates and ice creams harmful for babies/kids, health wise?
Guite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2010, 00:02   #215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
Yes,

Teeth: they damage teeth thru bacterial decay (sugars), temperature variation (ice cream, soft drink) and chemical decay (soft drinks).

Physical Health: experts believe that obesity and diabetes take root within first 4 years of life. India is fast becoming diabetes capital of world. Don't assume what others do is perfectly fine when it comes to food. Eating sweet at every possible occasion is not okay. Neither is fats, sugars or heavily processed food.

only time I advocate eating sweet stuff (biscuits, chocolates) is when we are outdoors and need a quick burst of energy (trekking etc). Or, when that is the only snack possible in a long stretch of time (cereal bars).

Fruit juices are not good either. linked to obesity in children. Water is best when thirsty.

Psychologically: sweet tooth is developed in initial years of life. Once that happens, the child is going to ask for desert after every meal AND otherwise. I can understand when kids cry for sweets and parents agree to it after a while. But I don't understand when parents force their kids to have sweets when they are not even asking for it. I give those away at every opportunity, and throw away chocolates/candies received in abundance at halloween. I also know people in US who tell me they can not drink plain water (they probably would throw up). They drink coke all the time. I think it's a very dangerous effect of lifetime exposure to soft drinks.
Old 12th June 2010, 00:38   #216
Senior - BHPian

@Vivek - Well I've a different thought; let me narrate the incident
I was swearing to my Wife that I'll never introduce Maggi, pasta, pizza to our children. Finally Wifey had a point, she said, if children don't get it at home, they'll get it from outside from school, friends & neighbours, instead we ourselves can provide them so that they don't show the anxiety toward it.

That was an eye opener to me; so now, we give everything to them be it Thumbsup (even to our 6 months old daughter), Maggi, Icecream, cake, chocolate & what not? But we ensure that we give them like once in a while so that they don't get addicted to it as well as they don't crave for it.

Point - Like you said, addiction is dangerous but anything within limits is enjoyable be it car or chocolate.

Last edited by aargee : 12th June 2010 at 00:41.
Old 12th June 2010, 00:49   #217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
@Vivek - Well I've a different thought; let me narrate the incident
I agree, my kids have all that too. The difference is we give it to them knowing it's not good for them, not that it's a gift from god that they need to have.

I am big fan of 80-20 (pareto) rule, meaning if you can keep 80% things right, don't break your head in correcting remaining 20% which would cost 80% of total effort.

my 4 year old now understand that sweets means sugar and a lot of it is not good for teeth or health. He till craves for it and I still control it
Old 12th June 2010, 00:55   #218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
not that it's a gift from god that they need to have.
Well, I think in a different way; there're many children who're even homeless & cannot afford a meal; my children are little privileged & no one knows what could happen in future; may be the same stage? So I afford to them whatever possible considering it as gift of God to them. Anyway, if you feel this is OT, forget it.

Quote:
I am big fan of 80-20 (pareto) rule, meaning if you can keep 80% things right, don't break your head in correcting remaining 20% which would cost 80% of total effort.
Wow!!! my learning for the day. I'm beginning to feel that this should be right; not only with children & even for me; I should probably stop seeking perfectness.

Quote:
my 4 year old now understand that sweets means sugar and a lot of it is not good for teeth or health. He till craves for it and I still control it
This happens to my eldest a big time sweet fan, only difference being, I don't control. The more I control, the more he needs; either I provide one to him or simply state the ill effects & ask if he still needs & 99% I get the answer "No I don't need"
Old 12th June 2010, 01:03   #219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Well, I think in a different way; there're many children who're even homeless & cannot afford a meal; my children are little privileged & no one knows what could happen in future; may be the same stage? So I afford to them whatever possible considering it as gift of God to them. Anyway, if you feel this is OT, forget it.
yes you took it sligthly OT. I was being sarcastic when i said that. Imagine you are in a gathering with 10 kids and only 6 chocolate bars. kids don't know it and you have to pick one for yours. I would rather leave it for other kids because I know it's not good for him.

I was sarcastic towards parents who jump to pick up the last bar thinking it's a "gift from god"

Seriously, there are times I share some sweet stuff at home so kids don't get a plateful, although I don't have a sweet tooth. things parents have to do for children
Old 12th June 2010, 06:39   #220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Seriously, there are times I share some sweet stuff at home so kids don't get a plateful, although I don't have a sweet tooth. things parents have to do for children
Yeah, I do this too, but haven't started doing it very seriously. Being raised as single, I don't like to share things (till date) everytime there's a conflict between brain & heart. Brain says pls share & heart says pls don't share & its a tough time listening to brain. So I cultivated this habit with my Son to share everything with people around him.
Old 12th June 2010, 18:07   #221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Adequately answered by Vivek. To be brief ice-creams not good for teeth, gums, throat and sinus. (of course its very high on calories).

Chocolates per say in small quantities is ok but its likely that the child starts loving it and throw tantrums to eat everyday or every possible opportunity. Chocolates bad for teeth (more often than not kids dont clean their teeth after consuming) and heart. (again very high in calories)

Above information if AFAIK true however the perception may differ from person to person. To sum it up I dont want my child do be addicted to this stuff!!! (just personal choice).
TaureanBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2010, 23:58   #222
BHPian

Thank you all for the responses. So the conclusion I have gathered for myself and my son is give him ice cream, chocolates, etc. with moderation. But I will not go as far as to deprive him of fruit juice just because it has sugar.
Guite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2010, 03:24   #223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you all for the responses. So the conclusion I have gathered for myself and my son is give him ice cream, chocolates, etc. with moderation. But I will not go as far as to deprive him of fruit juice just because it has sugar.
My take, don't "give" it to him. When he asks for it, control it.

Juices once in a while are ok, they have benefits too. watchout for obesity though. And never use one with added sugar. I used to be a big fan of canned juices for myself and then realized my mistake.

Why not give real fruit? my 1.5 and 4 yr olds eat bananas, strawberries, apple etc all the time. cut them in nice shapes and give a salad fork to eat to minimize the mess.
Old 23rd June 2010, 23:39   #224
Senior - BHPian

My 5 year old Smriti throws tantrums whenever she is given a glass of milk for consumption; I guess most of the kids do that. Thanks to World Cup football, we hit upon a plan which has been working so far.

When she has a glass of milk, I will always "loose" to her in a football match between us. But, when she does not have a glass of milk, she invariably looses the game. So far, so good...
deepakhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2010, 00:40   #225
BANNED

Parenthood is extremely challenging.

Everything is fine most of the time, but when it comes to critical moments, it really scares.

My 4 year Angel, scared the daylights out of us last night.

She tripped over her school bag right in our bedroom. All she wanted to do was finish her homework. Next minute she's collapsing on the floor, In Shock, her breath is struck somewhere within her lungs, My wife is cold and nervous and i just outside the room hear no voices suddenly.

I rush to see my kid down on floor not moving, presence of mind made me hit her hard several times to re-susciate her and get her breath back.

Most of the time its my wife and my mom at home, it scares me to think what would have happened if i was not at home that moment. Those split second gave us jitters of our lives. Met our pediatrician got a CT scan done, in less than 2 hours time after the incident my little angel is back to normal by the grace of Almighty.

One cut on her cheek will take a couple of days to heal.

I make sure, i spend almost most of the time monitoring her when i am at home. Advice to all parents. Kindly keep a watch on your kids when you are around.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote