Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2010, 22:49   #271
Senior - BHPian
 
aargee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: KATN
Posts: 4,646
Thanked: 1,950 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
He likes noodles a lot. So I have a question: is Maggi considered junk food? Are there better alternatives?
I think most of the kids like Maggi & IMO, its for sure a junk food. I remember a message from an old email stating that Maggi has a wax kind of coating that is harmful & one should remove this coating while cooking. I did that once & I lost the authentic taste of Maggi.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2010, 23:12   #272
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 1,040
Thanked: 126 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
I think most of the kids like Maggi & IMO, its for sure a junk food. I remember a message from an old email stating that Maggi has a wax kind of coating that is harmful & one should remove this coating while cooking. I did that once & I lost the authentic taste of Maggi.
Maagi also has monosodium glutamate along with other popular brands of noodles. It is considered to be harmfull.
heavy_foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2010, 10:15   #273
Senior - BHPian
 
ghodlur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Thane
Posts: 4,924
Thanked: 1,912 Times
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy_foot View Post
Maagi also has monosodium glutamate along with other popular brands of noodles. It is considered to be harmfull.
You are right. Maggi is absolutely no no for my kid. I prefer to give him MTR sevaiya instead with some vegetables thrown in. He likes that a lot. Some other quick fix snacks which my son likes are choco flakes, Honey loops, Oatmeals, Muesli. We usually get the multigrain biscuits instead of Parle G, Marie and avoid the cream biscuits for sure.

One thing my son hates is the coloring books. He simply does not love to fill in colours in the books and hates the crayons. Now his schoool has this class for arts & colours and he has fared badly in that, the teachers complaining that he does not want to draw or colour. We tried teaching some at home but he is averse to that. Dont know what to do.
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2010, 10:53   #274
Senior - BHPian
 
Gansan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,417
Thanked: 860 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
You are right. Maggi is absolutely no no for my kid. I prefer to give him MTR sevaiya instead with some vegetables thrown in. He likes that a lot. Some other quick fix snacks which my son likes are choco flakes, Honey loops, Oatmeals, Muesli. We usually get the multigrain biscuits instead of Parle G, Marie and avoid the cream biscuits for sure.
How old is your kid? Please check with your paediatrician whether oats can be given. IMO it is not suitable for kids below 7 years of age and can result in intestinal obstruction.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2010, 11:24   #275
Senior - BHPian
 
ghodlur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Thane
Posts: 4,924
Thanked: 1,912 Times
Default

Oats and Muesli if kept soaked in milk for an hour or so is Ok for kids above 2 years. This was confirmed by our family doctor. Only precaution which needs to be taken is that they are not taken in raw form.
BTW my son in 3 years old.
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2010, 13:01   #276
BHPian
 
sonirohit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Chandigarh
Posts: 318
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

My daughter doesn't know there is something called as cartoons. TVs is a strict NO when I am at home.

However I've downloaded her a couple of gigs of stuff off youtube (rhymes, stories and other kiddie stuffs with playlists to play in random order) on my laptop. The desktop icons are changed to Alphabets which we change on regular intervals and she knows how to open the playlists, play/pause, next and repeat functions. That keeps her busy when wifey is busy.
sonirohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2010, 13:56   #277
BHPian
 
Guite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Noida, NCR
Posts: 463
Thanked: 171 Times
Default

Thanks to everyone who replied.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Maggi is absolutely no no for my kid. I prefer to give him MTR sevaiya instead with some vegetables thrown in.
Can you please tell me what is this MTR sevaiya? Is it another brand of packaged noodle? Is Top Ramen good?
Guite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2010, 14:19   #278
MX6
Senior - BHPian
 
MX6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: City of seven islands.
Posts: 2,882
Thanked: 207 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonirohit View Post
My daughter doesn't know there is something called as cartoons. TVs is a strict NO when I am at home.

However I've downloaded her a couple of gigs of stuff off youtube (rhymes, stories and other kiddie stuffs with playlists to play in random order) on my laptop. The desktop icons are changed to Alphabets which we change on regular intervals and she knows how to open the playlists, play/pause, next and repeat functions. That keeps her busy when wifey is busy.
My whole family is banned from watching tv. No satellite tv at home. Only my select collection of DVDs. My daughter watches some classical stuff. Mostly it is classical music and dance related. And she catches up with just 3 or 4 of disney's offerings like Jungle Book, Bambi etc. With tv time spanning only 2 or 3 hours in a day, most of the time, it is her books and toys!
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2010, 15:20   #279
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Cyberabad / hyderabad
Posts: 130
Thanked: 41 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
How old is your kid? Please check with your paediatrician whether oats can be given. IMO it is not suitable for kids below 7 years of age and can result in intestinal obstruction.
i thought oats are good for baby foods also . cook it with little milk and water and some fruit and its a great breakfast , arent they?
kippu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2010, 15:28   #280
Senior - BHPian
 
ghodlur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Thane
Posts: 4,924
Thanked: 1,912 Times
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
Can you please tell me what is this MTR sevaiya? Is it another brand of packaged noodle? Is Top Ramen good?
MTR is the brand name ( quite popular with ready to eat snacks) and sevaiya is the vermicelli (used to make Kheers/payasam). You can make sevaiya upma (something similar to rava upma in process) and add vegetables to it. Children relish it (thinking they are having noodles). Another way of making children eat vegetables.
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2010, 16:10   #281
BHPian
 
SohailPistawala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 431
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

foood dilema here too my Boy just turned two and does not like to eat much, very very moody. Sometimes Upma, khichdi, sometimes roti dipped in tea, sometimes only and only water, sometimes just no chocolates at all. kinda confusing when he says no to chocolates. he just does'nt take one sip of milk now a days, no fresh milkshakes. I think too much of nooo.

Any advice?
SohailPistawala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2010, 18:05   #282
Senior - BHPian
 
vivekiny2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: cincinnati, jabalpur,chennai
Posts: 1,241
Thanked: 163 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SohailPistawala View Post
foood dilema here too my Boy just turned two and does not like to eat much, very very moody. Sometimes Upma, khichdi, sometimes roti dipped in tea, sometimes only and only water, sometimes just no chocolates at all. kinda confusing when he says no to chocolates. he just does'nt take one sip of milk now a days, no fresh milkshakes. I think too much of nooo.

Any advice?
And you want him to eat chocolates? refer to my post about "gift from god" .

children at that age are moody. I personally won't force them to eat anything, but keep away unhealthy choices so when they feel the need to eat, they have healthy food. Try fruits, cereals, bread, eggs etc. I am not a big fan of milk after an age of 2-3, but I have been often turned down on that opinion on mine.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2010, 20:21   #283
BHPian
 
rm_arjuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 445
Thanked: 52 Times
Default

Guys need help to tutor and better technique to teach and make kids remember , my daughter is in 1st class , she just memorize and good at oral and recollecting , but when she has to read , she is absolutely clueless .

even when she writes one page of same spelling like where / who / when after few minutes she cannot pronounce and just does not want to open her mouth and recite loudly . She just starts crying when we raise our voice . Nothing is helping and really frustrated with numerous complaints from her teacher .
rm_arjuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2010, 21:36   #284
Senior - BHPian
 
vivekiny2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: cincinnati, jabalpur,chennai
Posts: 1,241
Thanked: 163 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm_arjuna View Post
Guys need help to tutor and better technique to teach and make kids remember , my daughter is in 1st class , she just memorize and good at oral and recollecting , but when she has to read , she is absolutely clueless .

even when she writes one page of same spelling like where / who / when after few minutes she cannot pronounce and just does not want to open her mouth and recite loudly . She just starts crying when we raise our voice . Nothing is helping and really frustrated with numerous complaints from her teacher .
1. Watch taare zameen par

2. writing one page of same spelling is not going to help if she did not get it in the first place. I guess you need to explain her what "where" "who" and "when" mean. teach her how to use them in sentences, and then tell her how to write, starting with each syllable, assuming she already has learnt what sound each letter of alphabet represents. That should be the first step.

I think the whole process is backwards here.

EDIT: since you asked for technique, here's one I used. write CAT, ask her to pronounce it, help her, and then replace T with P. she should pick up that it's cap, after a couple tries. Try the same with 'tot' and 'top', 'pot' with 'pop' etc and soon she will know P stands for 'p' sound. I did it when my son was 3, your daughter may already have been thru this.

Last edited by vivekiny2k : 1st July 2010 at 21:40.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2010, 22:18   #285
BHPian
 
AbdulRahmanM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 166
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

My son is totally into Maggi Pasta, whenever he refuses to have any food at all, if we make maggi pasta, he has it readily without any issues, i am trying to find some alternate food which would match this, but i am still clueless in this regard.
AbdulRahmanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Joy is BMW; Greater JOY is a bigger BMW - F10 525d *EDIT: Now sold!* VSD Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 85 25th July 2016 15:07
When did you last get stuck and what were the learnings Baburajs 4x4 Technical 48 1st May 2009 12:01
Sharing my experiences of my new INDICA V2 DLG TURBO purchased in April 2008 basab Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 23 14th July 2008 11:44
Key learnings from Auto Expo 2008. snaronikar The Indian Car Scene 11 17th January 2008 15:59


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 14:14.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks