Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 8th March 2017, 15:16   #61
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Unusual interests/hobbies

WoW,

I also have very keen interest in cricket simulator games but I am not comfortable with online games, so play Total Cricket, The Cricket Simulator by Syedur Rahman and Cricket 07 by EA.

Will try the ones you have mentioned.

My family really laughs at me seeing me play such games apart from Cricket 07 as they simply don't find it sensible at all that how one can even think of doing such activity in the name of playing cricket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigyy View Post
Not really a hobby per se, but i have a very deep interest in simulation cricket games, and hence indulge in quite a few online cricket simulations like battrick, stumpedgame & cricketchampionship.

Pretty sure this is one unique interest / passion
carwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2017, 20:22   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Though not unusual, my hobby is practiced by very few Indians unlike in western countries where there is a wide following - I am a hobby woodworker/carpenter.

But nonetheless I have built a small workshop at the attic of my house and carry out my hobby from there.

I also have a blog where I update my builds - http://timberlogindia.blogspot.in/

Shall be happy to provide any details or tips to any tbhpian on whatever knowledge I have gained till now.
Wow BlackAsta - this is a really cool hobby. I first became aware of this hobby after I listened to the audiobook "Paddle your own canoe" by Nick Offerman. Nick, in addition to being an actor (Parks and Recreation), is also a woodworker and praised woodworking a lot.

Enthused by it, and completely unaware of whether I have any talent for it, I started searching for woodworking tools but couldn't find much in Indian websites. Whatever was available, I was not sure of quality. Another question was what kind of wood to start with.

Since you seem to have some knowledge and experience, can you suggest some starter kit in terms of tools and wood. And of course where to get them from.
catchjyoti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2017, 23:39   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchjyoti View Post
can you suggest some starter kit in terms of tools and wood. And of course where to get them from.
I started off with a hacksaw, but better to get an all purpose saw (good for cross and rip cuts), a drill machine + bits (good for handy tasks around the house, not only limited to woodworking - the bits though are different for metal, masonry and wood), a claw hammer, philips and slot screwdrivers, and consumables (fevicol SH, screws, nails).
All of the mentioned items should be available in the local hardware stores, or at amazon.

Start with building smaller items (coasters, small racks, small shelves etc) and preferably use plywood. Plywood mainly comes in 8 x 4 / 5 x 4 feet sheets, so if you don't need the entire thing ask your local store for off-cuts and they shall happily sell them to you. Normally you would use 6mm (~1/4 inch), 12 mm (~1/2 inch) or 18 / 19 mm (~3/4 inch) ply for various tasks.

Watch some videos on youtube on beginner woodworking, and only if you are convinced, go and buy the items mentioned earlier.
blackasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2017, 10:47   #64
BHPian

As a kid I used to collect different match box covers. The collection had grown to approximately 430 unique covers.

A few years later, as I grew up, I handed over my collection to one of my mother's student who would invariably ask me to show the collection. He was very fascinated and used to take care of the collection like a baby while seeing it. So thought of giving it to him because I felt he would take good care of it!

Apart from this, I like wood working and have done some small projects for home. Stuff like a tooth brush rack, medal holder for my son, a small house temple, a corner shelf for small toys and article display etc. Will post a few pictures once I get a chance.

Just like many of us here, I also like getting my hands dirty with my rides and drives. Small and easy things like cleaning air filters, changing oils etc.
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2017, 17:56   #65
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchjyoti View Post
Wow BlackAsta - this is a really cool hobby.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
I started off with a hacksaw
My thread on woodworking
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ng-thread.html (The Woodworking Thread)

Blackasta already knows about it.

Regards-Sonu
ariesonu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2017, 18:53   #66
BHPian

Thanks BlackAsta and Sonu
catchjyoti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2017, 11:05   #67
BHPian

Amazing to see such varied hobbies here. The paper model building is very cool.

I started quite young on my hobbies. As most of you have said, it started with
1. Stamps
2. Coins
I ended up having over 4000 unique stamps across 160 odd countries and then gave it to my friend's brother when he started off his collection
Coins again went to a friend of mine who by now am sure has minted an amazing amount of money
Then i started collecting old books - anything i could lay my hands on, but graduated to first edition books. Managed a few 100s and successfully parted with it
Then i indulged in writing - poetry and managed to get some stuff published and was called in for an award to US. No money and so dint travel and dint provide an RSVP as well
Collected fountain pens - pre 60s era pens - got a bit expensive after sometime and gifted them one by one to deserving students
Went on the blog for about 5 years and then quit cold turkey after social media blasts
Now working on Adult Coloring - amazing stuff - close to doodling - having real fun with it now
I also end up polishing presentations for my friends
Thats about it for now. Trying to get back to blogging, but finding it tough
subraiyr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2017, 02:33   #68

Lots of interesting hobbies here. For me, I collect boarding passes, I have almost all of them since I started travelling by air in 1998. It started off like keeping the one from the first time travelled by air, then it followed with just keeping them in my bag, come back home and put it in an envelope, over the years its a big bunch now. Not at home right now so can't post the pictures.
Brumby is offline   Reply With Quote