Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 16th January 2017, 18:05   #2281
e46
BHPian

Default Re: The "Jobs available in my organisation" thread

Dear BHPians,

Seeking your earnest help. Am a mid senior professional, with 12 yrs of experience in IT, mainly into IT Infrastructure. Am very interested and looking to work in the HR or people oriented role. I know seeking this sort of a change in job profile, raises quite a few eyebrow, but am absolutely sure of what am asking and a quick learner.

I am an NIT Allahabad alumnus, with decent written and verbal communication skills and a polite nature to boot.

I am reaching out to all of you; please help. I am based out of Bangalore, and open to Calcutta too.

Regards,
Abhishek.

Last edited by e46 : 16th January 2017 at 18:07. Reason: info
e46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2017, 22:48   #2282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46 View Post
Dear BHPians,

Seeking your earnest help. Am a mid senior professional, with 12 yrs of experience in IT, mainly into IT Infrastructure. Am very interested and looking to work in the HR or people oriented role. I know seeking this sort of a change in job profile, raises quite a few eyebrow, but am absolutely sure of what am asking and a quick learner.

I am an NIT Allahabad alumnus, with decent written and verbal communication skills and a polite nature to boot.

I am reaching out to all of you; please help. I am based out of Bangalore, and open to Calcutta too.

Regards,
Abhishek.
Hi Abhishek,
Taking the liberty to reply since I am currently in the function you are interested in, after having earned a degree from an institute which is almost synonymous with HR. Unless you have an opportunity to move laterally into an HR business partner or even a recruitment manager role in your current organization, you would find it well nigh impossible to crack one of these 'traditional' HR roles, especially in the tech industry. This is the blunt answer and something I have witnessed in the several years I have spent working with hi tech MNCs in Bangalore. There is not anything 'specialized' that is practiced in the function in this industry, and while that may seem favorable for someone like you who has years of experience in a line function - with academic pedigree to boot - and wants to break into a support function, given the numerous trade schools which have mushroomed over the years which offer a so called 'specialization' in HR, I cannot recall a single example of someone moving laterally into a HRBP role in the tech industry, and I have classmates who work for IT services firms as well where the situation is identical. A recruitment role is also out of the question since one needs to have years of sourcing experience to lead a team of recruiters as a people manager, a career level which you would most certainly need given your decade plus experience and hence an entry level position is out of the question. Am afraid that I have also not seen enough examples of the 'people orientation' that you are referring to, even in people who have achieved senior positions in HR and while you may genuinely possess that attribute, you may end up being disappointed with what the reality is. Opportunities in Calcutta would be even more sparse and things, at least in this area, am afraid have not improved much there - I should know, I was born and educated there. I wanted to point these out at the risk of appearing harsh.

Have you explored a technical training position (even as a freelancer) in teaching computer languages? There is a tendency to lump all kinds of 'training' under HR but several companies - and judiciously so - have kept these separate. This is a role where your flair for communication and to relate to people may find true expression, not to mention your considerable experience and your academic background. Do explore this and happy to discuss this further via PM if you so wish!

All the best
hothatchaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2017, 23:09   #2283
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Seeking your earnest help. Am a mid senior professional, with 12 yrs of experience in IT, mainly into IT Infrastructure. Am very interested and looking to work in the HR or people oriented role.
@e46, there is one possibility, but will take you 2-3 years. Location can be managed after that. PM me if you think you want to give it a shot
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2017, 06:09   #2284
BHPian

Anyone aware of any opening for a Recruiter in Bangalore? My wife is looking to switch. What I gather from a couple of conversations, she mainly deals in senior management roles in the financial and legal domain (I think!). Do let me know, I shall ask her to forward her resume which will have all the necessary details.

Thank You.
MaSh

Last edited by mashmash : 18th January 2017 at 06:12.
mashmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2017, 08:47   #2285
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is not traditional HR but definitely people oriented, and you'd work closely with HR.

See if your company is in the market for speakers to teach motivational workshops, negotiation skills, 7 habits of highly effective people type stuff.

Usually done by HR trainers but a lot of companies will gladly accept offers from mid senior ++ people with good comms skills to come in and take a workshop or two, after suitable training. I saw this a lot at my last workplace (a hundred + year old MNC, 3 letter name)
hserus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2017, 12:24   #2286
Senior - BHPian

Looking for a biz-dev position in India/EU. I have about 12 years of biz-dev experience (tech/finance), out of which I spent 7 years working with customers in Europe (ran my own start-up in oslo, norway). Started my career with EY.

My relationships in India are not very strong in recent times, hence putting my role requirement out here. I am also looking to connect with recruiters.
Red Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2017, 14:36   #2287
BHPian

Hello Guys,

One of my cousin completed MCA in the year 2016 from Bangalore.
Please let me know if any openings.

Thanks,
dsnaveen21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2017, 15:54   #2288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Looking for a biz-dev position in India/EU. I have about 12 years of biz-dev experience (tech/finance), out of which I spent 7 years working with customers in Europe (ran my own start-up in oslo, norway). Started my career with EY.

My relationships in India are not very strong in recent times, hence putting my role requirement out here. I am also looking to connect with recruiters.
Your PM is disabled, you can PM me or reach me on ajith@gvconsulting.co.in
speedmiester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2017, 16:41   #2289
BHPian

Guys need your help. I came back to India from USA after graduating with an MBA in June 2016. I worked in the USA for 6 months before heading back home end of Dec.

Overall i have about 10.5 years experience with about 4 years in Product Management. Looking at Product Management or Product Marketing roles, preferably in Bangalore.

I am slowing reconnecting with my old network but its taking more time than expected. If anyone is aware of position in Product Management in Bangalore, please let me know. I don't mind working for startups. Infact, i have worked for more than 6 years for a startup when it was not so hot to work for startups.

Thanks in advance
naveenvenkatesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2017, 09:57   #2290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
Your PM is disabled, you can PM me or reach me on ajith@gvconsulting.co.in
Thank you Ajith. Have sent you an email. Will check on my pm as well.
Red Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2017, 16:20   #2291
BHPian

Guys,

JAVA opening in Bangalore

We have multiple positions open for Java & a hiring drive has been planned on this Saturday (4-Feb-2017)

Java:

Skillset: Core Java, Servlets, JSP, Springs, Hibernate, Struts, JAXB, XML Handling, webservices, design patterns and Database/SQL

Please PM me if interested and I will share the mail ID to send the Resume.
narsi_6989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2017, 16:50   #2292
Senior - BHPian

I have had it with my sarkari naukri. If its not with a ministry or a maha/nava/mini ratna, Government Jobs are not as great as they are touted up to be.
Any leads for a Government Business Devt/Bid Management professional with 10 years or thereabouts of focused experience in GoI and state government sales?
mayankk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2017, 19:47   #2293
BHPian

Question Re: Mobile Apps?

One of my relative with 8+ years of experience in IMS(Infrastructure Management Services) of AS/400 platform at IBM is looking to diversify into other technology areas. She has done her B.E (Computer Science) from B'lore University.

Would there be any mobile apps(iOS/Android) development opportunities available for her profile?
JMaruru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2017, 20:51   #2294
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Mobile Apps?

If she has 8 years in what is essentially a sysadmin role on AIX she should diversify within that, pick up devops, clustering / cloud / scaling etc type skills, get a background on other unices (Solaris, Linux etc).

That will give her much more interesting jobs than managing enterprise clusters for a bank or whatever at IBM. But that has become her core career now - she should ideally not move away from that.
hserus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2017, 21:54   #2295
BHPian

I have an opening for the following skills and experience for a job at MNC in Bangalore.

Role - Software architect - Java (Individual contributor)
Exp - 12-15 Yrs
Skills - J2EE, Spring, MongoDB, Web Services, micro services, SaaS and Web technologies.

Please PM me and I can send more details and Job description.
sj_koova is offline   Reply With Quote