Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 18th November 2011, 15:38   #886
Oxy
BHPian

Default Re: The "Jobs available in my organisation" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmytravel View Post
If you or an of your friends are looking to make a switch in US, please PM me. We need Oracle DBA and Java/J2EE professionals for positions in Boston region.
Is this for folks who are already in the US?

Or is it that someone currently working in India can also apply. If so, will the company sponser the visa?
Oxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2011, 15:57   #887
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
Is this for folks who are already in the US?

Or is it that someone currently working in India can also apply. If so, will the company sponser the visa?
Oxy,
This is for folks in US. It's an urgent requirement so we do not have time for Visa processing.
markmytravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2011, 00:37   #888
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDragon View Post
@ Shivanik - First of all Please don't lose heart. While the job market is dominated by IT industry there are still decent career options in core engineering.

From your brief note, you have mentioned you are ME in Mechanical and want to be automobile sector - There is a thin line between automobile and automotive industry sectors. I am not very sure on the career aspects in the automobile sector - typically I can think of, as Khoj mentioned, the options are service, maintenance, sales or after sales kind of stuffs.

The career growth is almost similar to the IT (I meant position and portfolio wise, But not package wise which is a bit difficult in core engineering). But due to sudden need of resources and lack of it has actually pushed the package also to a higher side.

Nevertheless, If you have an option, Doing a PhD overseas is definitely worth.

I am working with a company which supports many Global OEM's in their engineering (R&D and Product Development) activities.

Please let me know if I can be of any help to you.
Thanks for your valuable suggestion sir.

I will be completing my bachelors in mechanical engineering by mid-2012. And not ME as you thought. Sorry, didn't mention it earlier. Guess you confused fresher with ME.

And that's the problem, you see. I mean for a bachelor it's very difficult to break-into this industry. Or, the people around me are saying so. I have seriously got no clue as to what to do next. What I sorely miss is suggestion and guidance? Every one with who I discuss these things knows that I plan to be an automobile engineer. But what do an automobile engineer do, nobody knows clearly, not even me if I am honest. There must be like hundred of works for an engineer to do inside an automobile plant. Of these which one suits me the best is still oblivion. R&D is the last word which I get to hear a lot from other wannabe automobile engineers.

I have no problems with fixing anyone's car as well. Wish, I were that talented. We as engineers have learnt zilch in terms of practical knowledge. Without doing some specialized course, a mechanical engineer is not even qualified for a job to fix a spark plug. It's true. If I have learnt anything about automobiles during my college years it's from outside and not from daily dreadful lectures.

Honestly, I don't care about how much the employer is willing to pay. As long as I am happy doing the job I am fine. May be, I am too young to understand the value of money or plain immature. But seriously, not planning to do any other job unless or until forced by the conditions around to do so.

Without being sounding too emotional , I just want to know one thing from you guys, who are already working with auto-majors. I am for sure dropping next year, not directly going for the higher studies. ME from some good/reputed automobile college in Germany is what I have planned for the year 2013. Meantime, do I have any options or jobs in automobile sector? If I get a good job, I might as well drop or postpone my future plans. The thing is though-Is there any job available?
Shivank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2011, 02:00   #889
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivank View Post
Thanks for your valuable suggestion sir.

I will be completing my bachelors in mechanical engineering by mid-2012. And not ME as you thought. Sorry, didn't mention it earlier. Guess you confused fresher with ME.

And that's the problem, you see. I mean for a bachelor it's very difficult to break-into this industry. Or, the people around me are saying so. I have seriously got no clue as to what to do next. What I sorely miss is suggestion and guidance? Every one with who I discuss these things knows that I plan to be an automobile engineer. But what do an automobile engineer do, nobody knows clearly, not even me if I am honest. There must be like hundred of works for an engineer to do inside an automobile plant. Of these which one suits me the best is still oblivion. R&D is the last word which I get to hear a lot from other wannabe automobile engineers.

I have no problems with fixing anyone's car as well. Wish, I were that talented. We as engineers have learnt zilch in terms of practical knowledge. Without doing some specialized course, a mechanical engineer is not even qualified for a job to fix a spark plug. It's true. If I have learnt anything about automobiles during my college years it's from outside and not from daily dreadful lectures.

Honestly, I don't care about how much the employer is willing to pay. As long as I am happy doing the job I am fine. May be, I am too young to understand the value of money or plain immature. But seriously, not planning to do any other job unless or until forced by the conditions around to do so.

Without being sounding too emotional , I just want to know one thing from you guys, who are already working with auto-majors. I am for sure dropping next year, not directly going for the higher studies. ME from some good/reputed automobile college in Germany is what I have planned for the year 2013. Meantime, do I have any options or jobs in automobile sector? If I get a good job, I might as well drop or postpone my future plans. The thing is though-Is there any job available?
Hi Shivank,

Please be careful when you mention your qualification henceforth. I had asked you to send your CV since you had mentioned you have done M.E. Unfortunately, there are currently no openings for freshers. But my boss has informed that we are planning to recruit a few graduate trainees in the coming days. I can't say for sure when this will happen.

I have been in your shoes not very long ago. So don't fret. I suggest you start working in, say, a manufacturing firm. Big or small doesn't matter. Don't aim straightaway at MNCs. You maybe in for disappointments. But if you are lucky enough and if you get a break (I really hope you do) then nothing like it. But if you don't, then don't lose heart.

Here's a bit of my story. I didn't work after my Bachelors and went straight to England for my masters. But that became a drawback since no one wanted to hire a PG fresher. I struggled a lot to find a job despite having a PG degree in Automobile design from England. I eventually started out with a small scale manufacturing company run by a good friend after job hunting for more than a year. I had to travel 80km a day and I earned peanuts initially. But I was fine with it because there was plenty to learn. I absolutely loved getting hands on experience and this really helped me understand my roles and responsibilities.

Manufacturing/auto ancillary domain, for one, really tests your skills, your knowledge, problem solving skills and also how tough you are. Spending close to 10 hours a day, 6 days a week on the hot, humid and unforgiving shop floor tests your mental strength. Spend a year or two and you will surely get a good breakthrough in an MNC. This way, you will be experienced enough and you will know what to expect. I know exactly how you feel right now. Mark my words, whatever happens happens for the best. I now work for an automotive filtration company based out of Germany, in Bangalore in the fuel filter R&D department. Had it not been for my previous experience, even though a bit short, I would not have known how to handle things here in my present company.

But please also remember that you need not compulsorily work for a manufacturing/auto ancillary firm to start with. I only mentioned it because you do not wish to work in any other domain. Please weigh the pros and cons and ask yourself if you are ready to face a uphill challenge. Don't feel discouraged about your predicament.

Wish you the very best.
vishwasvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2011, 03:32   #890
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Shivank,

Automobile Engg is a branch-off of Mechanical Engg just like Aerospace, Special Purpose machines and Electro-Mechanical systems. What differs is the standards for mechanical design, prototyping and manufacturing. For ex, Aerospace design will involve designing parts with mostly Aluminum and carbon fibre materials, specific to ATA regulations where the most important aspect is the light weight of the final component and minimum assembly techniques. There are rarely parts used of Steel. Even expensive materials like Titanium are used for the weight factor. Whereas Automobile design may not necessarily use Aluminum and has mostly steel parts. SAE norms are prefered and manufacturing is very streamlined (TPS). Special purpose machines like EDM, Semiconductor and Solar equipments are not technically challenging but customers basically look for reliability and throughput (yield) of these machines and hence operational mechanisms become the focus for design. Through these machines, companies target maximum revenue through spares, servicing, installations and start ups. Ex - Healthcare, Semiconductor and Solar equipments. ISO, ASME and ANSI are slightly tuned for each of the Industry requirements.

So, what I'm getting at is if your fundamentals of mechanical engineering are sound, you can be a great automotive engineer, aerospace engineer or any other field engineer. Only the domain changes and you have to just adapt the design techniques suitable for that Industry. For example, Airbus has its own inhouse design techniques in sync with Aerospace standards. Similarly Ford or Volvo have their own. When recruiting, the companies will not check if you can design an automobile part or a SPM part. Or whether you know CATIA or Pro-E. They will be interested in knowing if given a set of requirements, will you be able to come up with something. Like analytical ability and basic design awareness. Once recruited, they themselves will train you for whatever you may be lacking towards that job role/responsibility.

Now if you get a job in Automotive field, great! If you don't, no issues. But make sure the job you have is interesting and you are really learning from it. Ironically, in small manufacturing companies you'll get a hell lot to learn in a very short time. So, financially it may not sound attractive, but you will reap the benefits after you gain experience tremendously. In my first company, I hardly used to earn what I'm right now spending on my monthly groceris and food. But there was a great growth curve. I somehow resisted switching to software for a handsome package as was the trend then because of lack of suitable positions in ME. You just need to have a vision (which you have) and take a calculative step-by-step approach. As written by a member (DigitalDragon), now the opportunity is great because lot of Automotive RnD companies are establishing base in India. And the good news is that Automotive is not alone.

I have posted the above based on my experience. 2 years in manufacturing (shop floor), 5 years in Aerospace, 4 years in SPMs.

Unfortunately, we are on a freeze mode due to the expected recession next year. If there is an opening for a fresher, I'll let you know in my own company.
JVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2011, 15:00   #891
BHPian

@ Vishwasvr

Sorry again for the qualification part. I was referring ME as Mechanical Engineering and not masters. Anyway, I will keep that in mind from now onward. :-)

I would really like to work in any manufacturing firm. Trouble is no one is ready to pick us guys. Every firm I check with needs at least 2-years of working experience. If by manufacturing firms you mean the ancillaries then it might help. I completed my internship from A.G Industries, which is one of the many ancillaries for Hero Motors. They provide all the plastic/body panels and stickers for Hero bikes like Splendor, Passion etc. It is technically an automotive firm only. They have the best possible machines for the job. There's hardly anything to learn to there as every single operation is automated. Labor/Manpower is rarely used. The HR of the firm had asked me if I would like to continue there after the graduation. Job profile is to count if the 7500 parts are assembled together on time, or to inspect parts before they are forwarded to Hero motors. I could simply do that, but again, what do I learn? That's a complete waste in my honest opinion.

@ JVH

First paragraph was simply out of this world. I wonder why our colleges do not have professors like you guys. We are yet to discover if anything exists the other side of Lathes, CNCs etc. That's the maximum I know about Mechanical engineering.

One thing that I have really screwed up and now I regret doing is not taking the basics (fundamentals) seriously. I used to dream that I'd be a great automobile engineer someday. As a result, I read more about engines than lathes! I feel like this is going to trouble me for long. Am I right?

As of now, it seems the coming years are full of challenges. 2012 will be a hit or miss case. I am already out searching for jobs. 2013, I am most probably flying overseas for a specialized degree in automotive engineering. That is the only which way I see to enter automotive giants. Between 2012 and 2013, I am going to work on my fundamentals, definitely. It would be great if in the meantime I get some work in any automotive related, whether big or small manufacturing firm. This will keep me motivated, both mentally and financially. That's enough planned, rest will heavily depend on the opportunities and my work skills.

It's always nice to hear from the seniors. I have come across many a things which I didn't know earlier. You guys have been working in this industry for years now and it's of great insights when you share your experiences. Thanks to each and everyone for your inputs. Appreciate it wholeheartedly.

Also, pardon me if I anytime I acted naively. You see, I am a frustrated kid straight out of the college.

Last edited by Shivank : 19th November 2011 at 15:03.
Shivank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2011, 14:12   #892
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One thing that I have really screwed up and now I regret doing is not taking the basics (fundamentals) seriously. I used to dream that I'd be a great automobile engineer someday. As a result, I read more about engines than lathes! I feel like this is going to trouble me for long. Am I right?
Its never too late. Believe me, I was a very average student during my Engg days and my attitude towards the subject was quite lax. In my first job, when I was looking for a jump and attending the interviews I realized how much basics I lacked and how careless I had been. It took me 3 months to revise core ME subjects like Machine Design, Applied Mechanics, Strength of Materials, Theory of Machines, Fluid Mechanics and Thermal Engg. And then it was a smooth sailing.

Fundamentals are for life. Never ignore them. You can build a lot of things on them. So, for you its the right time to get going now :-)
JVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2011, 15:57   #893
BHPian

Quote:
@ Vishwasvr

Sorry again for the qualification part. I was referring ME as Mechanical Engineering and not masters. Anyway, I will keep that in mind from now onward. :-)

I would really like to work in any manufacturing firm. Trouble is no one is ready to pick us guys. Every firm I check with needs at least 2-years of working experience. If by manufacturing firms you mean the ancillaries then it might help. I completed my internship from A.G Industries, which is one of the many ancillaries for Hero Motors. They provide all the plastic/body panels and stickers for Hero bikes like Splendor, Passion etc. It is technically an automotive firm only. They have the best possible machines for the job. There's hardly anything to learn to there as every single operation is automated. Labor/Manpower is rarely used. The HR of the firm had asked me if I would like to continue there after the graduation. Job profile is to count if the 7500 parts are assembled together on time, or to inspect parts before they are forwarded to Hero motors. I could simply do that, but again, what do I learn? That's a complete waste in my honest opinion.
Dear Shivank,

This particular profile may not be highly technical, but remember it will let you understand importance of maintaining quality in a production line. But of course I wouldn't recommend this job profile for you. Try to look for roles which will involve your skills. There are plenty of companies which require young and talented engineers like you. If you were living here in Bangalore then I could have easily referred you to my previous company.

I wish you good luck.

Vishwas
vishwasvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2011, 22:25   #894
BHPian

Hi guys

please let me know if there are any openings in automobile / automobile ancillary companies which might be recruiting freshers in bangalore. I did my Bachelors in Mechanical from Ramaiah. Although I got an offer from a reputed IT company am not too keen on joining it as my passion lies towards cars.

thanks
adhiraj
adhiraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2011, 14:10   #895
BHPian

Hi Guys, my friend has 3 yrs of experience in H.R. and has certification in the same, She also has recruitment experience and is looking out for H.R. job, please let me know if they are any openings available. she needs a job asap.

-Sajan
sajands is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2011, 17:27   #896
Senior - BHPian

A Job available in my Organization. PM me for more details please.

Application Administration and Testing. (IT & Software)

Location Mumbai
Years of Experience 1 to 2 years

Requirement
 Any Graduate with technical knowledge, BSc(Computer Science), BCA, Bsc(IT), Btech.

 Shifts – 24 X 7, Sat/Sun Offs NOT Assured.

 Elementary to Moderate knowledge of Unix / Windows / SCCM / Tivoli / Testing / Mainframe/Midrange tools and technologies.

 Preferably handling US & UK clients/Experience in Desktop Troubleshooting or Software Application Deployment or Testing.

 Will work on deployment requests initiated by business partners and further execute, troubleshoot and report results as per the request.

Please PM Me for more details as i am not comfortable disclosing the name of the company in an open forum.

Last edited by scopriobharath : 22nd November 2011 at 17:47.
scopriobharath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2011, 08:04   #897
BHPian

Folks a lot of the positions are still open from my last post. Have a look at my post here -- > Click! (The "Jobs available in my organisation" thread)
praful is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2011, 19:15   #898
BHPian

We are hiring at Attano and it is a fun place to work.

To find the list of openings, check out

Attano - Touch The Future of Learning

To see your future colleagues, check out the Kolaveri Attano Lipdub

Last edited by genesis : 27th November 2011 at 19:20.
genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2011, 01:14   #899
Senior - BHPian

I guess this thread should be renamed as The " IT jobs available in my organisation" thread, and you all can understand the reason why, at least few NON IT guys will save some time and avoid disappointment.

Last edited by chanu : 28th November 2011 at 01:15.
chanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2011, 11:06   #900
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanu View Post
I guess this thread should be renamed as The " IT jobs available in my organisation" thread, and you all can understand the reason why, at least few NON IT guys will save some time and avoid disappointment.

Totally agree Chanu. Mods?
creative420 is offline   Reply With Quote