Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2008, 12:46   #46
BHPian
 
jaibir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 317
Thanked: 48 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Are you talking marketing ?
sounds more like consulting
jaibir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2008, 13:23   #47
Senior - BHPian
 
Maverick5490's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Thane
Posts: 1,249
Thanked: 590 Times
Default

My 2 cents

I have done my Diploma in Mechanical engg, B.E. in Production engg both from Mumbai univ. Now after 3 years of work experience am doing my part time or "Executive" MBA from JBIMS Mumbai (Jamnalal Bajaj).One thing i would definitely say is that doing an MBA after work experience makes life much easier in terms of understanding, as there are definitely certain things that you come across in your day to day activities and are able to relate to the situation quicker.Plus most of the part time colls have profs from the industry.This is a big boon as the current scenario in various industries, happenings, examples etc are given to make you aware.Your classmates are also with work experience and from varied fields leading to awareness and development of a large network of people.There are interactive seminars,presentations etc which help an individual to grow.

Now the negatives, the syllabus is decades old,nothing can be done here.Although the profs try to make it interesting.. still that is something which could do with some improvement.[/F

The timings.. well the classes are almost 7 days a week from 6.30 to 9.30 and sundays atleast halfday or full 9-5.So social life is sc####d.Managing worklife,lovelife,familylife and social life becomes your plan.

All in all i feel an MBA with work experience is more beneficial to an individual!

Last edited by Maverick5490 : 10th June 2008 at 13:25.
Maverick5490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2008, 13:55   #48
Senior - BHPian
 
sammyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Gurgaon/Doon
Posts: 1,711
Thanked: 290 Times
Default Career Advise needed - MBA or work?

Hi Guys, my sis has just completed her Comp engg and has a couple of offers from Satyam and Syntel.
Satyam - They want a 2lakh bank guarantee and even if the company decides to lay off the freshers after or during trg or anytime within 1 yr ( i think not sure) they will not refund this money . So its out.

Syntel - They are sending offer letters but then they have quite a few guys on bench so cant really be sure when they will send the letter and i guess this will depend on the market scenario.

THe thing that has added to this confusion is that she got a call from Apeejay School of Mgmt, Dwarka , New Delhi for the first batch of MBA - International Business.The school is just about ok but I know the teaching methodology is good and this is the first batch for this program so cant really comment on it.

Am really confused what she should do so I turn to you guys for help. She needs to submit the fee by monday latest so should she wait or join , considering the market scenario is a little dicey.

Please advise.

Last edited by sammyboy : 17th July 2008 at 13:57.
sammyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2008, 14:00   #49
Distinguished - BHPian
 
jkdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thiruvananthapu
Posts: 9,635
Thanked: 1,343 Times
Default

Would suggest to get some job now and then MBA.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2008, 14:07   #50
Senior - BHPian
 
sammyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Gurgaon/Doon
Posts: 1,711
Thanked: 290 Times
Default

^^ jk i was hoping for that too but then syntel is looking a lil dicey n satyam is out and she didnt really take any other placement interviews so its either sit n wait or join the MBA and thats also open till monday only :(
sammyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2008, 14:15   #51
BHPian
 
discobiscuit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: hydravad
Posts: 83
Thanked: 115 Times
Default

you learn more out of the MBA is you have already worked before, or have gone to management schools for your undergrad.

so i would suggest her to work or apply for masters in computer engineering or masters in other fields that she chooses to opt.
discobiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2008, 14:18   #52
BHPian
 
sushanthr77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mangalore / DXB
Posts: 280
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

What does your sis prefer? If she is inclined in continuing studies then go ahead with the MBA.

After working for a couple of years, most people I know, tend to hesitate to quit their jobs and end up opting for correspondence courses.
sushanthr77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2008, 14:20   #53
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 388
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
^^ jk i was hoping for that too but then syntel is looking a lil dicey n satyam is out and she didnt really take any other placement interviews so its either sit n wait or join the MBA and thats also open till monday only :(
I am an eng/mba, so this is a bit tricky, coming from me.
It makes sense to do an MBA in India only from the top 10-15 schools. B School learning is 60% from peer interaction and the quality of peers make all the difference. Hence my suggestion would be to take the job up or keep trying for a job.
sridharps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2008, 14:24   #54
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,582
Thanked: 3,244 Times
Default

Fully agree with sridhar.

I would suggest taking any job offer and instead trying to upgrade to better brand/work profiles later. Syntel is not high on the pecking order.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2008, 14:26   #55
BHPian
 
deepaktpatil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: KA 05, MH 10
Posts: 282
Thanked: 71 Times
Default

sammyboy,

I dont believe that Satyam wont refund money if they do a layoff in a year, I dont think a reputed company like Satyam would gulp money just like that without any fault of yours for a simple reason that its totally a unfair practice.

I would have recommended your sis doing an MBA if it would have got admitted in a established institution, as I am not sure of any placement that may happen after she completes her MBA.

More ever I am of the opinion that any MBA is good only if you have prior experience. Also now a days companies prefer candidates who have prior experience and it also helps the candidate to fully understand the subjects.

Looks like you are caught between devil and hard rock.

What I would strongly suggest is that you advise your sister to join either of the companies and at the same time she start preparing for CAT, this way she can get admitted into a decent school next year or continue with the job if things work out.
deepaktpatil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2008, 14:27   #56
Senior - BHPian
 
maddy42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Phoenix, Coorg
Posts: 1,817
Thanked: 426 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default

Well syntel is a nice company for freshers as the exposure got is good but the prob we are facing is that there are many people on the bench. Well its all a matter of luck in syntel as i know many who have a very hectic schedule too.
Doing a mba from a ok college does not seem good for me as you spend two years and the money which freshers get after they passout is nothing great and will be almost similar to what people in a IT company would be earning at the same time.
maddy42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2008, 14:28   #57
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,855
Thanked: 15,415 Times
Default

Stay away from a company who asks for a bank Guarantee!
Explore syntel, if nothing works out, then MBA is the only option.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2008, 14:31   #58
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 10,322
Thanked: 3,665 Times
Default

My first choice, where possible, would be to work may be a year or two & head to B-School after that. Gives a very different perspective of what's being taught in the B-school.

In this case, if a good job offer is not coming around, she could head back to school and finish her studies in one shot.
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2008, 14:38   #59
Senior - BHPian
 
sammyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Gurgaon/Doon
Posts: 1,711
Thanked: 290 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by discobiscuit View Post
you learn more out of the MBA is you have already worked before, or have gone to management schools for your undergrad.

so i would suggest her to work or apply for masters in computer engineering or masters in other fields that she chooses to opt.
True, i agree with you and even I was thinking of the same. The only issue is I am a lil worried about the market. Been thru the 2000-01 slump myself so I know how bad it can be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushanthr77 View Post
What does your sis prefer? If she is inclined in continuing studies then go ahead with the MBA.

After working for a couple of years, most people I know, tend to hesitate to quit their jobs and end up opting for correspondence courses.
She is confused. U know how it is with most of us, just fresh out of college bearings are a lil lost. I agree to the mba part, 8 +yrs and I am still planning to do mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridharps View Post
I am an eng/mba, so this is a bit tricky, coming from me.
It makes sense to do an MBA in India only from the top 10-15 schools. B School learning is 60% from peer interaction and the quality of peers make all the difference. Hence my suggestion would be to take the job up or keep trying for a job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Fully agree with sridhar.

I would suggest taking any job offer and instead trying to upgrade to better brand/work profiles later. Syntel is not high on the pecking order.
hmm top B schools is the way to go no doubts. I guess Job it should be then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepaktpatil View Post
sammyboy,

I dont believe that Satyam wont refund money if they do a layoff in a year, I dont think a reputed company like Satyam would gulp money just like that without any fault of yours for a simple reason that its totally a unfair practice.

I would have recommended your sis doing an MBA if it would have got admitted in a established institution, as I am not sure of any placement that may happen after she completes her MBA.

More ever I am of the opinion that any MBA is good only if you have prior experience. Also now a days companies prefer candidates who have prior experience and it also helps the candidate to fully understand the subjects.

Looks like you are caught between devil and hard rock.

What I would strongly suggest is that you advise your sister to join either of the companies and at the same time she start preparing for CAT, this way she can get admitted into a decent school next year or continue with the job if things work out.
Deepak even i didnt believe it but i saw the letter and there was a prog on tv sometime back where some industry guys were discussing this thing by Satyam and no one had a good thing to say about it. I dont believe it but dont wanna take chances. In normal circumstances I wouldnt mind giing the money guarantee in case she cant make it, but been a trainer and associated with trg for about 5 yrs I know how tricky these things can be.

Appreciate all your responses guys. Guess it is pointing towards the job and prepare . The only thing is, what if syntel freezes recruitment. I know some companies are doing so. Then she is stuck without a job n no mba.
sammyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2008, 14:43   #60
BHPian
 
deepaktpatil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: KA 05, MH 10
Posts: 282
Thanked: 71 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
The only thing is, what if syntel freezes recruitment. I know some companies are doing so. Then she is stuck without a job n no mba.
Things dont always come on a platter, if that happens then get her to Bangalore (I see bangy in your profile) and admit in one of the CAT institutions for MBA admission preparation, one year is not a big deal.
deepaktpatil is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ever contemplated an Automotive career? GTO The Indian Car Scene 327 19th May 2017 20:26
Career Advice D-Man Shifting gears 15 5th July 2011 01:46


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 16:18.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks