Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2015, 10:36   #421
BHPian
 
diyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 250
Thanked: 111 Times
Default

I have kicked off my home loan transfer from LIC to HDFC and for this month there is a refund of the processing fee for the loan. In case anyone is considering it, now is the time.
diyguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2015, 13:34   #422
Senior - BHPian
 
S_U_N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,780
Thanked: 378 Times
Default Re: Help with a home loan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
I have kicked off my home loan transfer from LIC to HDFC and for this month there is a refund of the processing fee for the loan. In case anyone is considering it, now is the time.
Is refund only with LIC or other companies as well?
S_U_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2015, 13:36   #423
BHPian
 
diyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 250
Thanked: 111 Times
Default Re: Help with a home loan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Is refund only with LIC or other companies as well?
It is from any bank to HDFC.
diyguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2015, 11:50   #424
Oxy
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 174
Thanked: 159 Times
Default Re: Help with a home loan!

I booked a 2 BHK in a project called Sumadhura Shikharam last week.

http://www.sumadhurashikharamppc.com/

I approached Citibank for the loan. They refused me the loan saying that the builder is not listed with them. I hold a Citibank salary account since more than 8 years and also have a Citibank credit card.

SBI though has no issues in giving me the loan. Citibank's loss then I guess!
Oxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2015, 13:38   #425
BHPian
 
pahwa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 250
Thanked: 125 Times
Default Re: Help with a home loan!

Just got another shock from LIC HFL. For my HL in 2009, the interest rate was increased to 11.75% in 2012, thus increasing EMI from 17k to 20k. This week when I went to branch to re-write my loan, I got to know that my loan tenure was increased to 25 years (no intimation, or approval from my end.

Any suggestions what could I do in such a scenario?
pahwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2015, 14:42   #426
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 442
Thanked: 33 Times
Default Re: Help with a home loan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahwa View Post
Just got another shock from LIC HFL. For my HL in 2009, the interest rate was increased to 11.75% in 2012, thus increasing EMI from 17k to 20k. This week when I went to branch to re-write my loan, I got to know that my loan tenure was increased to 25 years (no intimation, or approval from my end.

Any suggestions what could I do in such a scenario?
The bank does not require your approval. The HFC or bank can increase tenure or EMI at their discretion. Usually tenure is modified, however you do have the option to change EMI instead by visiting the branch.

Most banks do intimate via regular post of any change in tenure/EMI. I don't recall receiving any registered post or courier for this.

But isn't your interest rate way too high? I took a car loan from SBI end of last year and the interest rate on that is lower than your home loan when it should have been the other way around. If I were you, I would shop around for competitive rates and move my home loan elsewhere. For this, you also need to get in touch with LIC and fully understand if they have any loan prepayment penalty.
nowwhat? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2015, 17:04   #427
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 257
Thanked: 280 Times
Default Re: Help with a home loan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahwa View Post
This week when I went to branch to re-write my loan, I got to know that my loan tenure was increased to 25 years (no intimation, or approval from my end.
Can you please clarify what you have done when "re-writing" the loan? Is it an interest rate reset, an EMI reduction, etc? Do you have an idea if other lenders will be willing to foreclose your loan and take it over?
reverse_gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2015, 18:31   #428
BHPian
 
pahwa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 250
Thanked: 125 Times
Default Re: Help with a home loan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverse_gear View Post
Can you please clarify what you have done when "re-writing" the loan? Is it an interest rate reset, an EMI reduction, etc? Do you have an idea if other lenders will be willing to foreclose your loan and take it over?
Re-write means, you may 0.5 of outstanding loan and reset the interest rate to current ones. It brought my interest rate down from 11.65% to 10.5%. Effectively reducing tenure by 22 months.
pahwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2015, 18:47   #429
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 257
Thanked: 280 Times
Default Re: Help with a home loan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahwa View Post
Re-write means, you may 0.5 of outstanding loan and reset the interest rate to current ones. It brought my interest rate down from 11.65% to 10.5%. Effectively reducing tenure by 22 months.
Why did you go in for a re-write? You should have just gone to some other cheaper lender and foreclosed the existing loan with LIC. I do not understand why you have to pay 0.5% for the privilege of getting rates that are probably higher than average market rates in any case.

Loan tenor can increase only when either the interest rate is increased or the loan amount increases (i.e. you draw an additional loan on the same property, which some lenders allow). It must have been either of the two.
reverse_gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2015, 18:51   #430
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 175
Thanked: 129 Times
Default Re: Help with a home loan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverse_gear View Post
Why did you go in for a re-write? You should have just gone to some other cheaper lender and foreclosed the existing loan with LIC. I do not understand why you have to pay 0.5% for the privilege of getting rates that are probably higher than average market rates in any case.

Loan tenor can increase only when either the interest rate is increased or the loan amount increases (i.e. you draw an additional loan on the same property, which some lenders allow). It must have been either of the two.
+1, at the same cost (o.5%) he could have shifted to a different bank, which are offering around 9.90% for new customers. Not a very prudent move.
ILTDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2015, 18:59   #431
Senior - BHPian
 
rajeev k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Emerging Metro
Posts: 3,302
Thanked: 1,708 Times
Default Re: Help with a home loan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahwa View Post
Any suggestions what could I do in such a scenario?
This is because the HFC considers continuance of the same EMI even with increase in interest rate. Thus to compensate for the increased interest part, the tenure of the loan is extended and vice versa.

Last edited by rajeev k : 30th July 2015 at 19:01.
rajeev k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2015, 19:56   #432
BHPian
 
pahwa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 250
Thanked: 125 Times
Default Re: Help with a home loan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
This is because the HFC considers continuance of the same EMI even with increase in interest rate. Thus to compensate for the increased interest part, the tenure of the loan is extended and vice versa.
Yes, I agree. However, my friends/neighbors who took same amount of loan, at the same time have the same tenure. It seems some error in my case since EMI and tenure both have been increased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILTDrive View Post
+1, at the same cost (o.5%) he could have shifted to a different bank, which are offering around 9.90% for new customers. Not a very prudent move.
Quote:
Originally Posted by reverse_gear View Post
Why did you go in for a re-write? You should have just gone to some other cheaper lender and foreclosed the existing loan with LIC. I do not understand why you have to pay 0.5% for the privilege of getting rates that are probably higher than average market rates in any case.
I agree. I tried with HDFC, ICICI, PNB, SBI and Axis. None of takes over loan for a B-Khatha property if it is not pre-aproved by them.
pahwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2015, 22:47   #433
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 175
Thanked: 129 Times
Default Re: Help with a home loan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahwa View Post
I agree. I tried with HDFC, ICICI, PNB, SBI and Axis. None of takes over loan for a B-Khatha property if it is not pre-aproved by them.

This is surprising, mine is also a B khata property and I moved from LIC to Axis couple of years back. You can check at the white field loan service center. However, it does not make sense to shift now, because you are at 10.50% and the benefit is only for 0.5%.
ILTDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2015, 04:44   #434
Team-BHP Support
 
benbsb29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 7,994
Thanked: 3,418 Times
Default Re: Help with a home loan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahwa View Post
Re-write means, you may 0.5 of outstanding loan and reset the interest rate to current ones. It brought my interest rate down from 11.65% to 10.5%. Effectively reducing tenure by 22 months.
HDFC also has a similar option, which i have done twice in the past to bring down my astronomical interest rates. I had 2 years at 8.5% fixed when i took the loan, and then once it went to floating rates, it jumped to 11.75%!

I then used the reset option to lower the interest rate, which brought down the tenure, keeping the EMI constant throughout. I had done this twice.
benbsb29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2015, 11:22   #435
JD1
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 245
Thanked: 152 Times
Default Re: Help with a home loan!

Any August month offers from banks offering processing fee waiver for home loan transfer? Mine is with IDBI and they are still charging astronomical rates. I have 9L outstanding but can't bear to see a difference of 2% between prevailing market rate and what IDBI is charging me.
Considering that interest rates may further go down, which are good banks currently to bring down rates religiously? (So even if I switch now, I don't have to worry that my rates would freeze).
JD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Cheap Loan or the Smart Loan - SBI Advantage Car Loan keyur Indian Car Loans & Insurance 208 5th July 2017 15:56
Buy car using cash OR Take car loan & prepay home loan? rajshenoy Indian Car Loans & Insurance 13 2nd August 2013 18:16
Loan query - is this loan deal OK (From HDFC) BenjiRoss Indian Car Loans & Insurance 100 2nd September 2010 16:51
Car loan checks returned without closing loan !! ashthedivx Indian Car Loans & Insurance 21 7th November 2008 12:28


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:24.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks