Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 4th August 2008, 10:27   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

This is what happens when we have a CM who has never seen beyond 3rd standard in school, and a bunch of no good goons to dictate him! Ooo boy! Kerala has truly gone to the dogs!!
JayD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2008, 10:33   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
While Pumps in the rest of the country are trying to get 24-hr licences & open up small shops/restaurants etc. to service the increasingly high number of travellers on our roads, it seems Kerala is going backwards. Can someone give the comrades in power a piece of common sense??

No sir, U seem to forget that the 'workers' here don't Actually 'work'. All they want to do is call up Hartals, strikes, bandhs, dharnas and getting drunk.(Not that i complain about the latter but still...) After this useless govt is done here, we'll all be driving around in bullock carts!. (Now only if i could stop the backward movement in around the 50's era!! Heh heh!!)
Old 4th August 2008, 11:02   #18
BHPian

I'm proud to be a Mallu. Long live Mallus...with nothing to do and a cup of tea with a stack of newspapers to read by evening and global matters like Fidel Castro and Saddam Hussain to discuss, we will.

We might have 100% literacy.....but i guess we don't understand what we read.
I'm ashamed.

Kerala. Dog's own country.

:(

Last edited by Torqy : 4th August 2008 at 11:03.
Torqy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2008, 11:12   #19
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
While Pumps in the rest of the country are trying to get 24-hr licences & open up small shops/restaurants etc. to service the increasingly high number of travellers on our roads, it seems Kerala is going backwards. Can someone give the comrades in power a piece of common sense??
Not all petrol pumps. There was some recent news item about pumps in Maharashtra cutting down their working hours too (1 weekly holiday + lesser work hours). Apparently, random calculations hinted toward a reduction in overheads.

I think better sense has prevailed as I haven't noticed any pumps implementing this move.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2008, 12:05   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I think better sense has prevailed as I haven't noticed any pumps implementing this move.
In suburbs, most of the pumps are located with in 2 mins of driving distance of each other (e.g. - HP/IOC or BP/HP). If one decides to give a weekly off, the other one is merrier! I guess that's the reason they should not do it. All offices are working 24/7. Call center vehicles are on the road only at night and can refuel post the drops to offices only. Again in the mornings, the vehicles drop the employees and the drivers go directly to sleep.
amtak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2008, 13:07   #21
Senior - BHPian

There was a similar talk in Chennai too, but I did not see it implemented (atleast not in Adyar / Besant Nagar). This started off as an offspring of the fuel price hike and dealers margins getting hit. God knows what the gospel is!!!
ph03n!x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2008, 15:14   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As long as the State/Union Govt. doesn't come in with a stupid legislation regulating their days of working/working hours, this will never happen in most states. Reason, competition. If one petrol pump owner does not want to work, no sweat, the other are more than happy to cater to the customers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
Hahaha! Well put! But then isn't that the basic problem with the whole education system??
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2008, 15:24   #23
Senior - BHPian

Default be fair!

Hi,

To be fair, the government is not behind this new timing policy. It is the dealers' association taking a unilateral decision.

Today's papers hint that the the recent decision of Provident Fund to get establishments with even 10 employees in their fold is the main factor for this decision.
trrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2008, 15:39   #24
Team-BHP Support

Another non-sensical rule and legislation. People who drive down from other states will be highly inconvenienced.

As someone said, "Dog's Own Country". Looks like filling up from TN would be the only safe option now. i.e. untill they also decide to implement such a move.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2008, 15:53   #25
BHPian

But the govt can definetely enforce legislation to prevent such stupid / irresponsible actions on the parts of pump owners. Isn't fuel supply covered under ESMA ??
WasavaTyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2008, 16:32   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
I'm proud to be a Mallu. Long live Mallus...with nothing to do and a cup of tea with a stack of newspapers to read by evening and global matters like Fidel Castro and Saddam Hussain to discuss, we will.

I'm ashamed.

Kerala. Dog's own country.

:(
Completely agree with you , if you drive around in the suburbs of cochin and trivandrum you will find many factories which have been shut down due to labour union problem.

hyper activism from the commies have acutally lead the state to a situation where things like nookku kooli exists, this is unheard of in other parts of the world. For the uninitiated this is what nooku kooli is , suppose you are shifting from outside kerala to somewhere inside kerala. as soon as the truck with the commodities reach near your house , these good for nothings and anti social elements who will be loitering around in the tarffic junctions will call up his tribes men and belive me they will land up at you dorr step in soon as the truck grinds to a halt.

Now they will start hagling expect prices to be outlandish, now even if you have your own workers who can take care of bringing down the stuff from the truck these hooligans will you allow you to do that without paying them " nookku kooli" which directly translated means "salary for watching" phew ... i do hate these guys for ruining the state...

Quote:
But aint this what the commies are lacking in ?

Imagine , Kerala state ( or a district , i am not sure of this ) had a hartal ( inkerala Hartal= bandh as Bandhs have been banned by the high court of kerala ) for Saddam Hussain being hanged to death , as if its gonna make any difference ? except cause lot of trouble to the general public and provide a stage for mischief mongers to display thier skills by vandalising public property.
hellstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2008, 16:34   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasavaTyres View Post
But the govt can definetely enforce legislation to prevent such stupid / irresponsible actions on the parts of pump owners. Isn't fuel supply covered under ESMA ??

There erring petrols pumps should be forced to operate under ESMA - Essential Services Maintanence Act. i Second you on this one for sure.
hellstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2008, 16:41   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

And the thing with this nooku kooli s*** is that these buggers even demand cash for looking at a dumper lorry which is dumping its load!!
Old 4th August 2008, 17:28   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Looks like filling up from TN would be the only safe option now. i.e. untill they also decide to implement such a move.
Atleast you guys have the option of filling up from TN or KA or AP on the way to KL. But, what about us? There will be long queues in the Saturday evenings and there will be utter chaos. There will not be any more Sunday Morning Drive and Family Outings will be limited. Suppose you have to leave on an urgent matter and if you find that there's not enough fuel in the vehicle, what will you do? Soon, Mallu Land will have another Tourist Attraction called "Saturday Night Fuel Fever"
If the Pump owners say that they are doing this to cut short the expenses, let it be voluntary. Why make it a norm? You want to shut the shop at 8 P.M, you are welcome! You want to take a rest day on Sunday, you are welcome! Nobody is stopping you. But, why are you insisting that each and every other pumps should follow suit? Afraid of loosing business?
arif_t01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2008, 01:36   #30

I hope the moderators take care of the government bashing going on here for no apparent reason.

As trrk posted, the kerala government has nothing to do with the decision of the pump owners' association and it is already planning to impose fines and taking over the pumps participating.
archangel is offline   Reply With Quote