Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 4th August 2008, 04:51   #1

Default Feel Home sick

Hi, to cut a long story short I am living in England and have been here for the past 8 years yet never could integrate. I am going this year to university to study Economics for three years. I just hate the whole British culture of partying/drinking and have therefore found it hard to fit in with people (including british indians). I would like to move back to India after my degree, but don't know what I will do. I have a family back there but they don't live in a big city. How would a foreign graduate go about getting a job in Delhi or Bombay? Is a first mandatory to get a good job in finance/retail/consultancy etc?
alex gibbons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2008, 09:52   #2
BHPian

By looking at your state! you are bound to become a enterprenuer for sure!! All the best!
four_tire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2008, 10:13   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex gibbons View Post
Hi, to cut a long story short I am living in England and have been here for the past 8 years yet never could integrate. I am going this year to university to study Economics for three years. I just hate the whole British culture of partying/drinking and have therefore found it hard to fit in with people (including british indians). I would like to move back to India after my degree, but don't know what I will do. I have a family back there but they don't live in a big city. How would a foreign graduate go about getting a job in Delhi or Bombay? Is a first mandatory to get a good job in finance/retail/consultancy etc?

Hi Alex

I was in England for 5 years, and trust me i hate the place to bit. Perhaps that place is good or brilliant as a tourist place, but the when you start living over there trust me the, its so so depressing. Espically when you don't get to the sun for few days and its always raining (day and night). I used to hate the fact of coming into my room and watchig the same old laptop or white heating radiator.
Ohh!!! regarding the Brit Indian ( Desi's Kebab, cost cutter, Londis) i can write a whole book. They are most irritating creatures i have seen on this earth i have ever come across.
The day i graduated straight went away booked my tickets to Dillliiii. I am glad i started my new year on the return flight to India.

Amit
amitpunjani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2008, 13:56   #4
Senior - BHPian

The title of this thread should be referrred to Shri Yeti's Blog on how to post in proper English. Homesick is a single word as far as I can remember, not Home Sick which could mean the home is sick.

British 'culture' (not sure if recreational acitivities qualify for culture) is more than just partying and drinking. Perhaps Thad should visit this thread too....
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2008, 14:02   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
The title of this thread should be referrred to Shri Yeti's Blog on how to post in proper English. Homesick is a single word as far as I can remember, not Home Sick which could mean the home is sick.

British 'culture' (not sure if recreational acitivities qualify for culture) is more than just partying and drinking. Perhaps Thad should visit this thread too....
lol Steer in a real mood.

I am home, sick would mean that I am unwell and on leave of absence from work.
The correct word would be homesick indeed, used as one word with no pace between home and sick.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2008, 15:27   #6
Senior - BHPian

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex gibbons View Post
...I am living in England and have been here for the past 8 years yet never could integrate. ...
hey, alex gibbons, you have lived there for 8 years, and not been able to identify with some positives about their culture ?
I am sure there is more to British culture than just partying/drinking. BTW, is your handle based on your real name? just curious !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
...The correct word would be homesick indeed, used as one word with no pace between home and sick.
(as in ... when one falls sick, very slowly, at home !!!)

sorry, Sam, my eyes have a knack for spotting such typos, especially when someone else has done it !!!

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 4th August 2008 at 15:29.
Blue Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2008, 15:37   #7
BHPian

that's unfortunate to hear...I can understand English weather can get a little depressing. don't mind the partying/drinking though....cheers:

but if it's something you're not used to, yes it makes sense to identify Brit (if not all Western) culture with this, although Indians in India are also fast catching up to this!

Anyway, Delhi is a lot of fun anyway and the girls are really nice...

Why don't you look at some alternatives to Britain if you want to go abroad elsewhere after your studies??
vezj420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2008, 17:11   #8
Team-BHP Support

Hey buddy, go to a Pub and down 5-6 beers. You will feel much better
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2008, 17:16   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
lol Steer in a real mood.

I am home, sick would mean that I am unwell and on leave of absence from work.
The correct word would be homesick indeed, used as one word with no pace between home and sick.
SAM sir it is not pace it is space correcting the great SAM, excuse me please
gowda79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2008, 23:31   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm not into drinking and partying either, nor do I like cold wet weather (Ooty? Why is a place that has a bearable climate for two months a year so popular? It's like London!). I have to admit that, although I too get bouts of homesickness (for England, of course!) I would find living there again so frustrating and tedious, just because the attitudes, government-led have become so very restrictive and narrow-minded. I can certainly understand somebody not liking it.

I think you could perhaps look a little harder for the things you might like, though! If you can stand doing what ever it is in that climate, I guess UK offers most stuff, social, hobby, culture, sport or whatever.

British 'Indians' too range from those who have Anglicised their names and are in a state of deep denial of their origins, through to those who live their own lives in a way that has just been transplanted and carbon-copied onto a British Street chosen because it is full of their own community. And everything in between.

Maybe as a student you're finding it hard to avoid the drinking and partying crowd? It is something that, for very many many of us Brits was very much a part of our youth. It is very much a part of life in many (but not all) offices too, where the pub at lunchtime or after work is almost a part of the promotion ladder. It's not compulsory; I didn't like it, didn't want to waste my money on it, and didn't do it, except for special occasions.

But its tough for me to give much advice on this one; I spent the last ten years of my life in UK getting more and more involved in Indian culture!

How did you come to be there in the first place? Your immediate family is there? Are you living with them? Would you be happier in a different city? More information needed!

Would you be happier doing that degree at an Indian university?
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2008, 23:49   #11
Senior - BHPian

I would say visit India for a long duration, and see if you really like it. I know people who cam back, only to go abroad again because they could not take day to day hardships and the things they missed abroad.

Needless to say, that will be worse because you will have no place to go after that. This way at least you keep thinking you can go back to India (ok, that was a poor joke).

I don't know your status, but having a nice support group (family, friends) will help.

I don't see a point it studying in UK if you want to work in india, normally people do that so they can work in UK.

PS: and as you may have already noticed, you won't be spared if you make a grammatical mistake in english here either.

Last edited by vivekiny2k : 4th August 2008 at 23:51.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2008, 00:15   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

I say, Vivek, isn't that "in english" a bit tautological?

Not to mention the capital "E"!

Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2008, 02:46   #13

Ok, sorry for the typo in the title. I lived in India till the age of 12 and have lived in UK since then. I think I would prefer to study in England as economics is taught as an individual subject and is quite mathematical (not combined with other subjects like in India, and econometrics is taught from year one). The problem I have with London is that I just don't get on with most people as I have only one good friend (hes Indian lol). Do any of you know of any brits/americans who studied abroad and came back to India? I have a family back in India who live in Indore and UP, but I would much prefer to settle in one of the big cities. Anyways thx for the replies.
alex gibbons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2008, 06:55   #14
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I tend to agree with Alex. Integrating into British society is difficult if one is a teetotaler.
Things I like about Britain-
1.The weather seriously! i'm not pulling anyone's leg here. I miss British weather. No sweating, no harsh light and dust. plenty of photo ops.
2.Queuing - this is civilisation at its best.
3.Courtesy on the road
4.cheap second hand cars that run reliably

what I HATED
1.Government nannying/interference
2.Random violence that seems to occur just for the heck of it
3.Mindless rush, that leaves no time for living.
4.treatment of their elders

I called it quits after 4 years.
most of my friends stayed back there. Its a matter of preference. all of them claim to like India better. I'll take that with a pinch of salt.

I think you should consider what Vivekiny2k said. take a long vacation in India, see if you can deal with the daily grind.

I thought I'd never be able to like India, I despised everything about it till I went to England and realised-Mera Bharath Mahaan!
You have to experience things before you can compare them.

Welcome to TBHP
rippergeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2008, 07:19   #15
Senior - BHPian

@Thad

you proved my point, didn't you ?
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote