Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 7th April 2009, 19:44   #46
Senior - BHPian

The "Transaction timed out" thing has happened to my dad too. But in that case, it was refunded in seconds. We came home and checked in his Internet Banking console and found that the amount was debited and almost immediately credited back.

But in the case I posted above, the transaction was stated to be properly completed, yet no cash was actually dispensed. In this case, the whole process was manual and laborious. Thankfully, the HSBC branch here at TVM has fabulous customer service and they followed up with us every other day. The only inconvenience was going to their branch and actually submitting the claim letter.
ImmortalZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2009, 20:25   #47
BHPian

Quote:
I have the transaction slip and have also given the photocopies of the same.Still fail to fathom how could I not worry when its been over 15 days now
The delay might be due to recent bank holidays, you can also say the magic word of "Banking Ombudsman" to your Canara Bank Manager, for early resolution, it might help
major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2011, 11:41   #48
BHPian

Angry ATM Machine Problem, Money Lost

This problem happened to me day before yesterday and just today I came to know about it.

Day before yesterday, i.e. on 1st July I went to withdraw some money from an Axis bank atm with my debit card(its a sbi debit card). Amount was 6k. After entering all the details i.e. entering pin, selecting account type, entering amount...the normal message was displayed that "your transaction is been processed", but then after few seconds the transaction stops and a message is popped that "cannot complete the transaction, server is offline" I tried again after few seconds but the result was same. In both the cases I did not hear the sound of atm machine's operation(mechanical sound of notes being calculated). Also before me 2 other guys were not able to get cash, as while coming out they were discussing that atm was not working and they would try in a different atm. So, I just thought its normal server failure and left the atm.

Today morning (3rd july) while trying to withdraw money from a different atm, it showed insufficient funds. I was shocked as my account had around 11k and still showed insufficient funds for a request of 8k withdrawal. I immediately took a mini statement and to my horror it showed that 6k has been debited from my account on 1st july through atm withdrawal, the same day when server failure happened.

Possible reason would be a fault in the database as a result of corrupt data signal. The database must have got an acknowledgement that money has been transfered and hence debited, but in reality the cash was never dispensed.

Could it be a case of some fraud/scam? Also I do remember that there was no tape/some adhesive at the mouth of the dispenser. (after hearing about all these scams, I always keep an eye on the cash dispenser opening). The transaction was never processed in the machine as i heard no sound from it.

So, now what should I do?

I have planned to lodge a written complaint along with my account number and atm code of the axis bank to the branch manager of the nearest axis bank. I hope they will be able to figure it out from their balance sheet as since the money was never dispensed...their atm would have more money than it should have.

Any other suggestions/reasons behind that are welcomed, though it is not a huge amount...but still no body would like to loose a single penny without anything.
ravi_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2011, 11:46   #49
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: ATM Machine Problem, Money Lost

^^No worries. Just go to your branch of SBI and tell them the details. They will give you a claim form to fill up. After verification with Axis Bank, your money will be credited back in your account within a week.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2011, 12:13   #50
BHPian

A similar incident happened to me. In my case my card was hsbc and ATM was axis bank.

The correct process would be to talk to your bank (not the ATM bank but the bank which issued your card) and raise a complaint. They will follow up with the other bank and resolve it. For me hsbc said they will refund within 11 days and it was done. I had logged a complaint over the internet and I was also asked to fax a written copy to hsbc.

I would strongly suggest to talk to your bank over the phone first and then do as they say.
deep_bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2011, 12:20   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
^^No worries. Just go to your branch of SBI and tell them the details. They will give you a claim form to fill up. After verification with Axis Bank, your money will be credited back in your account within a week.
Within a week seems to be optimistic since reconciliation has to happen between 2 banks (SBI & AXIS), nonetheless he will get his money back for sure.
tifosikrishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2011, 12:32   #52
Senior - BHPian

^^Earlier it used to take 3 weeks, but I think there was some recent RBI guidelines to make this possible in five working days.

This problem sometimes occurs due to network failure between the systems of two banks.

Last edited by Gansan : 3rd July 2011 at 12:34.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2011, 13:18   #53
Senior - BHPian

i think calling cc with the txn details should do. worked for me
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2011, 13:20   #54
BHPian

Don't worry it happened to me last month on a LVB ATM. I complained to my bank (HDFC) and the amount was credited back exactly on the 12th day from the day of complaint. Just as Gansan had said contact sbi and file a complaint and wait patiently for a week for your money to be processed back into your account.
smrtdvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2011, 13:49   #55
Senior - BHPian

Happened to me once but I was using a axis bank card in axis ATM. Two days after money was automatically credited to my account.
Rahulkool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2011, 14:12   #56
BHPian

As said by others, money will be given back to your account. But you must inform your branch by calling customer care number instead of visiting personally to the branch, so that you will have your complaint number for reference.
pawan_pullarwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2011, 15:37   #57
BHPian

Thank you all for your valuable inputs, very useful indeed

Had a word with a close friend, his father is a branch manager in a sbi bank. According to his father such incidents happen quite often and he said that the amount will be automatically credited back in 3-4 days. If I do not get it back within 3-4 days then he told me to contact him and he would guide me with the exact procedure.

Now the thing is, shall I wait for the money to be credited automatically or inform the sbi bank tomorrow? Also can I inform/lodge a complaint in any sbi branch or do I need to inform the branch in which my account is? Because there is a catch, I am working is bangalore but my sbi account is in guwahati. So it wont be possible for me to go there now My brother will be able to lodge a complain there on my behalf and I will send a fax from my side from here. Hope that will do?
ravi_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2011, 15:41   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Oh.. it happened to me too. Twice. Both times I was using ICICI Card. IIRC, once the transaction was instantly reversed, but the other time it took ~15 days.

No need to worry. You will get your money back.
dhanushs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2011, 18:30   #59
Senior - BHPian

While there is no need to worry - this does mean that it helps to keep the transactions details etc. if anything unusual happens - after all the ATM Bank may deny everything OR some genuine scam may be in progress.
vina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2011, 20:48   #60
BHPian

I have heard that interest need to be paid on a daily basis for delay in credit beyond 14 days, so banks do resolve these as quickly as possible.

However they need to have excess physical cash in the machine, since it was not physically dispensed.

If it was dispensed after sometime & some one else took it , tough luck.
dvprasad is offline   Reply With Quote