Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 8th August 2008, 09:52   #1
BHPian

Default Alternatives to Yahoo Groups

I need to set up 'Group' for our residence scheme where owners can discuss issues for the scheme.
I know about Yahoo Groups, but are there any alternatives that should be considered before going ahead with Yahoo?
It has to be a closed group where only owners can discuss. It might also be wise to make sure the group is not visible to others (is that possible?).
Thanks
Raja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2008, 09:58   #2
Senior - BHPian

i think google groups is a good option , but be warned that the interfaces and options available for moderation are not comparable with yahoo.

IMHO worth a try !
hellstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2008, 10:04   #3
BHPian

Yahoo is better if you are limited to sending and receiving messages. Moderation is good but space is limited to 100 MB.

Orkut and facebook are other options you can try if you are thinking of sharing photos and documents, these are next generation platforms so are a bit better, suited more for college and friends groups.

I would prefer yahoo for the simplicity and privacy as orkut and facebook link to your profile which some members may want to keep private.

I found Google to be difficult for moderation as well as usage but it gives good amount of space if you are thinking of storing something online for the group.
deepaktpatil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2008, 10:15   #4
BHPian

Thanks for the advice guys. I don't need to send photos or anything like that. Just send text based messages about society meetings etc.
I am not a fan of Orkut or Facebook. I feel privacy issues are very poor.
Is it possible to moderate Yahoo Groups in such a way that only approved members can view the group?
What I don't want is residents to be able to view the group even though they have decided not to become members (or tenants as well).
Thanks
Old 8th August 2008, 10:29   #5
BANNED

Yes, if you are the owner or the moderator of the Yahoo group, you can define this under:
Management -> Group Settings -> Posting and Archives

If I've understood your requirements correctly, the options need to be:
Posting Options
Who can post: Members
Reply-to: All members (preferred but really up to you)
Moderation: Unmoderated (again up to you)
Attachments: Remove (preferred as it reduces the risk of virus)
Spam Filtering: On

Archive Options
Access: Members

Hope this helps. Please send me a PM if you need any more information / help.
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2008, 10:33   #6
BHPian

Thanks hrag, I think that is what I want. I will pm if I get stuck understanding how to set up the group.
Thanks
Raja