Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 12th March 2005, 12:53   #1
Team-BHP Support

Default Should we use this as a tool ?

hey guys ,
just thought of this after reading a certain member's posts ( i 'm sure most of us would know who this is abt. )

do you guys think we should have a basic IQ test from now on when a person wants to join the forum , and the test should be based on cars , but the questions should be very basic .

i totally understand that the forum is for people who already know it all and for the people who don't know much or nothing at all and are here to learn
about what they are in love with .
but i don;'t think we should have members who don't know much and claim to know it all , the IQ test should be for those .

the rules :
3 or 4 options should be given for each question , including an option of ' I M HERE TO LEARN ABT. CARS '

for example :
Q.1 which out of these is a performace car :
a.) ikon 1.6
b.) zen
c.) the new honda city (not the new vtec version that is coming up )
d.) i m here to learn

the idea behind this is that someone who clicks on the nhc and has similar answers for the other questions too should be rejected .
but someone who understand that he does not know or is not sure abt. the answer and selects "d" as an option should be given admission to the site and the same for the answers a & b

the idea behing this is to avoid some freak talking a whole lotta crap all over the forum and increasing the space usage and wasting other fellow memeber' s time , as each an every bhpian i 'm sure is very inquisitive and would like to know what is really happening in the thread .

guys let me know what you'll think of this .

manson .

Last edited by manson : 12th March 2005 at 12:55.
manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2005, 13:05   #2
Senior - BHPian

hehehe.......

a better idea would be to have sister concern site -

www.juniorbhp.com

all members enter their date of birth and the list is sorted automatically. guys who are 18 and below get automatically directed to this web address !! and they can get to select their admins and mods by public poll on www.team-BHP.com !

Anyone listening ??

Last edited by normally_crazy : 12th March 2005 at 13:07.
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2005, 13:32   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Q.1 which out of these is a performace car :
a.) ikon 1.6
b.) zen
c.) the new honda city (not the new vtec version that is coming up )
d.) i m here to learn
Well, performance can mean anything. It's a very relative word. All cars have performance, it's just the degree of performance that differs.

What kind of performance are u talking about here?

Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2005, 14:25   #4
Team-BHP Support

at team bhp we ususally refer to performance as speed shantanu , i m sure you know what i'm talking about , and that 's just an example so maybe you could suggest a few questions if the idea is ever put to use .
maybe you could tell me your view on my idea though .

manson .
Old 12th March 2005, 14:30   #5
Team-BHP Support

i would not want to discriminate on basis of age , as we have an exceptional case like lambo who is just 16 and has exceptional knowlege about cars keeping his age in mind

so i do not think it would be fair to the above n.c. !

manson .

Last edited by manson : 12th March 2005 at 14:32.
Old 12th March 2005, 15:40   #6
BHPian

i agreee .. lambo s the man
cheatingdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2005, 15:53   #7
Senior - BHPian

And Manson, who gets to decide who is right for the forum and who isn't? Who gets to decide who is intelligent enough for the board? Who has the right answers to what seem to be pretty subjective questions?

It's responsiblity of all the members of TB to keep the board clean and prevent it from becoming an eyesore. Other than that, I think it's the worst criteria ever for participating in forum events. We have a pretty good team of Admin and Mods to brush things below the carpet when need arise.
ported_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2005, 16:27   #8
Senior - BHPian

Yeh, we should not discriminate on the basis of age because if we did, then pple like me and Lambo would be deprived of all the knowledge shared on team-bhp. The idea of an IQ test would be highly inpractical but i can see why you would want something like that. The fact that there is an option for 'I don't know' could in theory prevent Pseudo intellects from joining. But there are so many ways to get around it that it is bound to fail.
Deeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2005, 18:24   #9
Team-BHP Support

ported ,
i m sure ot one bhpian would say the nhc is a performance car , and not one of them would debate on the ikon1.6 & the zen on being peroformance cars , so this question in not subjective i anyway . there is only one wrong answer , and only a series of stupid answer would make the person not join the forum .

manson .
Old 12th March 2005, 18:28   #10
Senior - BHPian

But dont you think these are exactly the kind of people we need to educate?
But for one such member we know....it would be an exception.

Drifter
drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2005, 19:21   #11
Team-BHP Support

no , i don't think having ignorant members who are extremely rigid about things really helps , they could go ahead and modify a bullock cart for all i care ,
it s the peole who don't know much or nothing at all ( but are always wanting to learn and are flexible about their opinions ) who we want on the site , and even the people who know quite a bit but yet want to keep learning more and more as their thirst is never quenched .
what is the point in having a member posting in every thread without any knowledge ( which is extremely annoying ) and fails to change his/her mind after a whole lot of Gyaan given to the member by other fellow members .
the only thing that really happens is that the member tends to waste a whole lot of space which can be used for other useful threads in the future .
it s better to have quality than quantity , why do you think otherwise are our mods & admin so strict abtout posts .

manson .

p.s. just my personal views .

Last edited by manson : 12th March 2005 at 19:25.
Old 12th March 2005, 20:36   #12
Senior - BHPian

It ain't gonna work. If one doesn't know the answer, all he'll do is click "i'm here to learn".

And, the fact is that even though the NHC maynot be an out n out sports car, it'll still be faster than a stock Zen (on a drag strip or around a track).

Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2005, 21:00   #13
Team-BHP Support

that s the point , the aspiring member should know what performance in terms of speed means ,
and by using the option of "i don't know " it shows that atleast he is not trying to be intellgent & is not going to be ingnorant wen we share our GYAAN with him .
we would prefer people wanting to get educated than pretending they know a lot .
would not mind typing 1000 words for sumone who cares to learn than even typinga single work for some ignorant fool .

manson .
Old 12th March 2005, 21:29   #14
Senior - BHPian

Well just saw that member has been actually "BANNED".

So any official reasons for banning him mods and admins??
DCEite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2005, 02:21   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dceite
Well just saw that member has been actually "BANNED".

So any official reasons for banning him mods and admins??
Well a person is always banned for an official reason. If he violates the Forum Rules...away he goes!
Stratos is offline   Reply With Quote