Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 13th August 2008, 19:12   #1
BWN
BHPian

Default Driving history record

Hi Guys,

My work is taking me to toulouse(france) for a couple of years. I am planning to buy a car for my daily commute. I checked the driving license requirement and I can drive for an year with my Indian license and a french translation, but to get my car insured, i would need to prove my Indian driving history to the insurance company.

I didnt find anything helpful on google, apart from the fact that some people have faced this issue in the US. So here I am, On t-bhp to get my problems solved

So folks, pls pour in your suggestions.
Our car is registered in my mother's name, so I can't show the car insurance papers. All I can show is my Bike insurance. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Cheers....
BWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2008, 19:19   #2
Senior - BHPian

Take a letter from your Car Insurer stating that you have been enjoying a No Claim Bonus since so and so time.

That should do the trick otherwise insurance will be steep for you.
simply_sunny001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2008, 19:21   #3
Senior - BHPian

I guess you could also try getting a letter from the licensing authority that there are no tickets pending for you Anyways our authorities have no record of licenses and tickets so it will be absolutely clear
sammyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2008, 19:24   #4
Senior - BHPian

Getting such letter from RTO should be tough if you dont have some sources in RTO office or bribe someone.
Old 13th August 2008, 19:42   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
Getting such letter from RTO should be tough if you dont have some sources in RTO office or bribe someone.
I dont think there is any other way to get this done bro. Thats the legal way at most RTO's
sammyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2008, 20:56   #6
Senior - BHPian

here in US we always start afresh and end up paying higher premium for initial months. i am not sure if taking letter from india will work.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2008, 20:59   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
here in US we always start afresh and end up paying higher premium for initial months. i am not sure if taking letter from india will work.
My cousin used such a letter in Ireland and got a great deal cos of this,so i thought it might work in this case too.
Old 13th August 2008, 23:38   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
Easy peasy!
Find an RTO broker and get the job done for a little extra. U'll save a lot of francs!
PS: J'aime la Francaise
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2008, 00:37   #9
BHPian

[/quote]

So folks, pls pour in your suggestions.
Our car is registered in my mother's name, so I can't show the car insurance papers. All I can show is my Bike insurance. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Cheers....[/quote]

Hi, I don't think it should be a problem if you show the papers where the car is registered in your mothers name either - A letter from her stating that you have been using the car on a regularly basis should be of help as well, and get the clearance from the Insurance company that there have been no claims against it.

I had done something similar while procuring a German driving license - a colleague of mine had written a letter saying I have been regularly using her car on a regular basis on my Indian Driving license and her insurance company + police records were completely clean, that not only helped a lot with the driving license procurement but also on my insurance which would have otherwise started from 170%, i started from 100%.

Get the translation done from one of these Alliance Francais institutes and you should be ready to roll.
senindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2008, 00:53   #10
BWN
BHPian

[/quote]
Hi, I don't think it should be a problem if you show the papers where the car is registered in your mothers name either - A letter from her stating that you have been using the car on a regularly basis should be of help as well, and get the clearance from the Insurance company that there have been no claims against it.

I had done something similar while procuring a German driving license - a colleague of mine had written a letter saying I have been regularly using her car on a regular basis on my Indian Driving license and her insurance company + police records were completely clean, that not only helped a lot with the driving license procurement but also on my insurance which would have otherwise started from 170%, i started from 100%.

Get the translation done from one of these Alliance Francais institutes and you should be ready to roll.[/quote]

This seems to be a great suggestion. but here in Hamburg, i didnt face any problem with driving history since my indian DL had all 8 points intact (mine is from TN which has some points printed on the back side). But my colleagues in france are facing issues with Driving history.

I think a combination of documents like a Letter from Insurance company about no claims, a letter from RTO about no tickets and a letter from my mother stating my usage should do the trick...

In US, you have an option of paying a higher premium for no driving history, but in France its outrightly. impossible to get an insurance in the first place. Some of my colleagues are using theirs cars without an insurance which is too risky.
Old 14th August 2008, 00:56   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWN View Post
Some of my colleagues are using theirs cars without an insurance which is too risky.
BWN I will certainly not suggest that - it could lead to a BIG mess, so PLEASE do not attempt anything what your colleagues are at.
Old 14th August 2008, 01:00   #12
BWN
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by senindra View Post
BWN I will certainly not suggest that - it could lead to a BIG mess, so PLEASE do not attempt anything what your colleagues are at.
Yups you are right... but there are some dare devils who ride their luck and there are some who are desperate to take their car out after solving this issue.

I am planning for this purchase at end of this year. So i will make sure all the papers are in place.
Old 14th August 2008, 01:00   #13
Team-BHP Support

BWN,

Its best you obtain a template of what they want to see - so that you may get that in the prescribed format here. The biggest irritant in such documentation is finding out your original attempt cannot be accepted since it is not in a "required" format.

Last edited by theMAG : 14th August 2008 at 01:03.
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2008, 01:13   #14
BHPian

There is no prescribed format which the insurance companies in EU would ask for. It is BWN who has to show all relevant documents to prove (read: convince) he has a clean record. If he is not able to do so, the insurance companies are not able to refuse to insure him, they would just slam such a premium which he would not be very happy in paying, this could "easily" be in between 1800-2500 Euros per annum.
Old 14th August 2008, 15:33   #15
BWN
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by senindra View Post
If he is not able to do so, the insurance companies are not able to refuse to insure him, they would just slam such a premium which he would not be very happy in paying, this could "easily" be in between 1800-2500 Euros per annum.
OMG !!! this would be the resale value an used car at the end of insurance term.

@senindra - can you let me know how much you paid for your insurance in germany?