Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 22nd November 2009, 17:14   #106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
During buffet, who clears your plates, brings oyu water, brings you a fresh plate, some cutlery, etc? Dont they deserve something at least?
If you consider all those then we need to pay for the building, electricity, floor cleaning, table cleaning, etc etc

BUFFET in a 3/4/5 star hotel inlcudes all the charges. e.g 450/700/900 RS per head includes everthing.

TIPS is generally paid for a superlative, outstanding service with personal attention. The basic courtesy, timely actions are expected things. The salary paid to the people by the resturant/hotel owner takes care of the basic, hygine factors of the work along with the performance on the job.

In India the bar of performance is very low, hence people expect to be tipped for smallest of the small things, but generally i always differentiate
REAL GOOD SERVICE v/s what was expected prior to tipping.

Last edited by StarVegabond : 22nd November 2009 at 17:15.
StarVegabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2009, 18:14   #107
Senior - BHPian

i make it a point not to remove a single buck if a service tax is added in my bill.
BJN group (indijoes,samarkhand,angethi etc) in Bangalore does this.
This makes for incompetent service as the waiters are already getting their bonus and dont need to make that extra effort towards the customers while serving them.
other that that i generally give 5-10% of the total bill.
parking guys get 20-30 bucks.
vinaydas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2009, 19:11   #108
Senior - BHPian

Service Tax is payable to the Government of India.

It is NOT the same as Service Charge which sometimes is levied in some restaurants only.

Tipping is always a function of one's personal level of satisfaction with the service received.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
i make it a point not to remove a single buck if a service tax is added in my bill.
BJN group (indijoes,samarkhand,angethi etc) in Bangalore does this.
This makes for incompetent service as the waiters are already getting their bonus and dont need to make that extra effort towards the customers while serving them.
other that that i generally give 5-10% of the total bill.
parking guys get 20-30 bucks.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2009, 19:39   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by achinthg View Post
I am never sure what is the right TIPS amount to pay for various service providers. This thread is to find how much people usually tip the following guys:

Also, does the TIPS amount vary depending on the number of stars a hotel has?
For me its generally like:

1. Waiter at restaurant :- 7 to 10% or 0 depending upon the service.
2. Room service :- Have never availed this service. Generally try to go and fill the water also by myself(dont want anyone spitting in it, you know).

3. Bellboys at hotel:- 0. I prefer to carry in and out my own luggage.

4. Doorman at hotel & restaurants:- 0

5. Valet parking drivers:- 0. Never give my car for valet parking.

6. Taxi/auto drivers:- 0.

Regards,
amohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2009, 20:41   #110
BHPian

1. Waiter at restaurant :- upto 5% depending upon the service. A small tip also for the clearning boy who clears the table/plates.
2. Room service :- None. I prefer not to avail room service.

3. Bellboys at hotel:- 0. I prefer to carry in and out my own luggage.

4. Doorman at hotel & restaurants:- 0

5. Valet parking drivers:- 10/20. Depending on the hotel

6. Taxi/auto drivers:- I do this in Mumbai only, when i know the auto driver has a genuine untampered meter. Never done it in Bangalore, as they are all mostly tampered and ask for the Rs.5/10 more anyway.
hrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2009, 21:36   #111
Team-BHP Support

Waiters: Generally Rs 15 for small joints, Upto Rs 50 for big ones. If its a big crowd(>7) and no SC then about a 100

Room Service: 0
BellBoys: 0
DoorMan: 0, had never thought of tipping them.
Valet: 10-20 (but I use Valet very rarely)
Auto/ Taxi: Avoid them as I either drive/ ride/ walk or use buses. If I do use them then I even it out to the nearest round sum.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2012, 13:58   #112
BHPian

Default Re: Credit Card Purchase Surcharge 1.5% (and a discussion on TIPS)

Extra charge for payment by credit card for car servicing

(Request to mods to move it to appropriate folder if required)

Post diwali, I am planning to go on a long drive and my car's odometer reading was nearing 20K, so thought of getting the car serviced for 20K reading. I booked the appointment for my city's service with the dealer. Since the dealer's service facility is just 1 km from my residence, I prefer this particular dealer for servicing my car in Pune. Had booked the appointment for 930 am on Saturday morning. Service Engineer was quite helpful. Once he had done the premilinary check and given me a approximate quote, I told him I would pay him by card. At this stage he shared with me that if the amount is greater than 5K, they would charge 2% extra.
I objected to this as amount quoted for me was slightly above 5K. Initially the SE expressed his helplessness( according to him this is decided by the owner).

As I was getting the tyres rotated and aligned and this was causing my service bill to jump above 5K, I told him cancel the tyre rotation as it can be done outside from reputed tyre shops. He asked me to wait and went and talked to his manager and got a waiver of 2%

I told him,that they cannot charge extra on credit card payments and neither have they mentioned anywhere at the payment counter. In the evening, when I went to collect the car, the SE kept his promise and ensured, I am not charged extra.

Advice to other t-bhipans to check if other dealers are also playing similar tricks
mm403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2012, 15:24   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm403 View Post
Extra charge for payment by credit card for car servicing

(Request to mods to move it to appropriate folder if required)

Post diwali, I am planning to go on a long drive and my car's odometer reading was nearing 20K, so thought of getting the car serviced for 20K reading. I booked the appointment for my city's service with the dealer. Since the dealer's service facility is just 1 km from my residence, I prefer this particular dealer for servicing my car in Pune. Had booked the appointment for 930 am on Saturday morning. Service Engineer was quite helpful. Once he had done the premilinary check and given me a approximate quote, I told him I would pay him by card. At this stage he shared with me that if the amount is greater than 5K, they would charge 2% extra.
I objected to this as amount quoted for me was slightly above 5K. Initially the SE expressed his helplessness( according to him this is decided by the owner).

As I was getting the tyres rotated and aligned and this was causing my service bill to jump above 5K, I told him cancel the tyre rotation as it can be done outside from reputed tyre shops. He asked me to wait and went and talked to his manager and got a waiver of 2%

I told him,that they cannot charge extra on credit card payments and neither have they mentioned anywhere at the payment counter. In the evening, when I went to collect the car, the SE kept his promise and ensured, I am not charged extra.

Advice to other t-bhipans to check if other dealers are also playing similar tricks
Car dealerships are no different from other shopping establishments, they want to keep most of their transactions in cash, for obvious reasons. I had this experience with Hallmark Honda, Thane. I was charged about 1.5 or 2% extra when I got tweeters fitted. My logos had been stolen once and got them fitted at Deccan Honda, Pune about 2 years ago. They did not charge anything extra.

One of the lines of argument with dealers should be that no bank charges more than 1-1.25% from merchants for transactions (it is called merchant discount rate). I had tried this reasoning with Hallmark Honda, the people became clever idiots! These people just want to discourage usage of cards, that is the reason they charge 2% or more. By doing this, they are earning additional money! Absolute cheating.

I see no escaping from this, as long as dealers (or any other merchant) are not honest. There is an option of walking away with any other merchant, this is not an option with car servicing. I have had experiences of merchants calling me back and offering goods at the same old price and accept card at no extra charge, because I walked away.

Last edited by sa_kiran : 12th November 2012 at 15:28.
sa_kiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2012, 16:36   #114
Distinguished - BHPian

I decline paying any surcharge on CC transactions. Either I will walk away or if it is too much of a hassle, I will pay by cash (today there will be an ATM always in the vicinity).

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 12th November 2012 at 16:48.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2013, 12:28   #115
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Default Global gang skims Indian credit card industry of Rs 30 crore in 2 months

Global gang skims Indian credit card industry of Rs 30 crore in 2 months

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/b...w/18357670.cms
rkg is offline   Reply With Quote