Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 20th August 2008, 18:57   #61
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
This was shot at least 20 minutes before Riju's Baleno. Vikram's Swift is coming up next.

Attachment 40294

As usual brilliant!! Great choice of location also.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2008, 19:08   #62
BHPian

@Rudra- pics look amazing. I dont feel like telling anyone I own a EOS400D .

I would really like to know what % of this effect is because of post-procesing.

Thiyags
thiyags22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2008, 19:44   #63
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
What is the point of it all? If I saw a photograph of the car with all the processing done and then saw the car in reality, I'm bound to be disappointed.
Why this disappointment? Donít you see printed automotive advertisements? You may like to see them or not but worldwide thatís how automobile shooting/post processing happens. Itís not for you and me but for all in general.
Quote:
Is this processing for the sake of processing? I realize this sounds impolite but the cars look 'artificial'.
Cars will look artificial because they are enhanced to give that kick. Processing for the sake of processing is not the case for me. Iím in the business of communication and itís an integral part of my business. All these cars are shot with keeping one thing in mind.. I need to know well in advance as what Iím going to do in post process. My composition/choice of angle/choice of focal length and choice of exposure will depend on that. More I do, more I learn.
Quote:
Please treat this as a question from somebody who is trying to understand the nuances of photography and understand how much processing is required.
Thereís no hard and fast rule here. You shoot something and get happy with the result. Or you shoot a frame and not happy with the result. The basic difference here is the planning. Itís not a casual snap shot. It cannot be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shazikon View Post
hrag, i bet you will find Rudra's car in the same way as you see in the photograph. i mean the unblemished body paint..
Cars were really dirty that day.
Quote:
Beauty of the shot is if you stand at the very same spot where the photograph was taken, you would see the same picture..
A big no my friend. You need to see that frame in tones/high light/shadow. Thatís the key for the shoot and post job. The reason why I often go for different exposures.

Quote:
If you see the pic, its not just PP its composition and handling of light that makes it a good photograph in the first place.. PP only enhances it... just my thoughts..
Perfect understanding.
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2008, 20:09   #64
BANNED

Thank you for your detailed response.

Quote:
Why this disappointment? Donít you see printed automotive advertisements? You may like to see them or not but worldwide thatís how automobile shooting/post processing happens. Itís not for you and me but for all in general.
When I see a printed automotive advertisement, I know it is a processed image. But these photographs are pictures of 'real' everyday cars (not sure I phrased that correctly). They are not intended to be an advertisement for the car. Or are they - because it is you shooting?

Quote:
I need to know well in advance as what Iím going to do in post process. My composition/choice of angle/choice of focal length and choice of exposure will depend on that. More I do, more I learn.
That explains a lot of things. Meaning you 'frame' the picture in your mind and then work towards getting that finally?

Quote:
Thereís no hard and fast rule here. You shoot something and get happy with the result. Or you shoot a frame and not happy with the result. The basic difference here is the planning. Itís not a casual snap shot. It cannot be.
Thanks again. I'm sure I will trouble you with more questions.
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2008, 22:06   #65
Senior - BHPian

@hrag - dude I don't know how much you know of photography but since I was there I can say this much. There may be a maximum of 5% difference between what you see here and what I saw that day. So it is all not about post processing but about getting the shot right.
vikram_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2008, 22:32   #66
Team-BHP Support

vikram_d's SWIFT. Shot roughly about ten minutes before Riju's Baleno.

An amatuers day out with the big daddy of this forum !!-vv1.jpg
Old 20th August 2008, 22:37   #67
Senior - BHPian

Holy moly! Each one seems to surpass the next. They are all equally breathtaking though

Awesome black/white combo going on there with the chassis, rims and hella's.

Wah ustad wah !!
s0uljah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2008, 22:38   #68
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0uljah View Post
Holy moly! Each one seems to surpass the next.
I'm learning boss. Natural process if you ask.
Old 20th August 2008, 22:46   #69
Senior - BHPian

Awesome pic. BTW, have you taken only one photos of the cars? OR you have plenty of them with you. If yes, then post all of them. Will be learning to us. I hope Rijus will be a big surprise picture as you are informing the time of all photos relating to Riju's shot.;-)
snaronikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2008, 22:48   #70
Senior - BHPian

Very nice. Almost same angle and place, but viewed little higher than the Optra. Right?

For some reason, I still love the Optra shot than this Swift. Is it because of the background? The Optra had long sky in the back which is lacking in this. And due to the angle, the land was almost flat in the optra. Is it the reason?

Quote:
One more. Why is it you mention the time for both the shots? Is it to inform that it was taken in same day light? Or any other significance?

Last edited by mjothi : 20th August 2008 at 22:56.
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2008, 22:49   #71
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
I hope Rijus will be a big surprise picture as you are informing the time of all photos relating to Riju's shot.;-)
We had very little time to shoot all cars. Location is really good but need to explore though.
Old 20th August 2008, 22:52   #72
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Attachment 40621

Bloody hell. I was drinking coffee when you SMSed and choked looking at this picture and the other pics of Riju's car and your car.

Amazing, astonishing, astounding, fantastic, incredible, marvelous, miraculous, phenomenal, prodigious, stupendous, unbelievable, wonderful, wondrous. I really am speechless now.

Last edited by theMAG : 20th August 2008 at 23:01.
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2008, 22:59   #73
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
The Optra had long sky in the back which is lacking in this. And due to the angle, the land was almost flat in the optra. Is it the reason?
Swift has a better sweeping slanting bonnet. So I had to go up.
Quote:
One more. Why is it you mention the time for both the shots? Is it to inform that it was taken in same day light? Or any other significance?
Light level drops very fast after 6pm. Hence..
Old 20th August 2008, 22:59   #74
BHPian

Getting Maggie speechless.. that means something.

Rudro da , Can I get in line to get a picture of my padmini when it is done too?

Vijay
prabhuav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2008, 23:01   #75
Team-BHP Support

Padmini and me? Sure thing! Remembering old hindi movies..