Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2011, 18:32   #241
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 102
Thanked: Once
Default Re: Laser Eye Surgery - LASIK discussion

Guys, I had a consultation to get Lasik done today. All doctors i consulted in the hospital pushed for Intralase(blade free) lasik. Is the price difference justified?

I have still not found any evidence on the internet that there would be any difference in the outcome of either of the process.

Zyoptix ultimate - Rs75,000
Intralase ultimate Lasik - Rs1,25,000

Also i was assured that the Intralase process would not have any side effects other than dry eyes for maximum upto 6 months(Other than the issues like blurry,night vision in the initial days).
katpasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2011, 11:30   #242
BHPian
 
slicvic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: KA 19
Posts: 732
Thanked: 354 Times
Default Re: Laser Eye Surgery - LASIK discussion

Blade free LASIK has advantages like no blurred vision in the initial days that a few of the LASIK patients have temporarily. If you can tolerate that for a month or two initially then there is no need for Intralase. One advantage Intralase has over regular LASIK is that it can cut a very thin flap, and hence a few patients with higher powers who would otherwise not be fit for regular LASIK can undergo Intralase.
slicvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2011, 16:24   #243
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 102
Thanked: Once
Default Re: Laser Eye Surgery - LASIK discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicvic View Post
Blade free LASIK has advantages like no blurred vision in the initial days that a few of the LASIK patients have temporarily. If you can tolerate that for a month or two initially then there is no need for Intralase. One advantage Intralase has over regular LASIK is that it can cut a very thin flap, and hence a few patients with higher powers who would otherwise not be fit for regular LASIK can undergo Intralase.
Appreciate your input... here is my case
corneal thickness: 550 microns
After all the test, doctor said that i am a good candidate for lasik and can go for any type of Lasik(20k - 1.25L)
Rest period after surgery : 8 days. Would need to join office after that since i am in software field... would need to spend 8-10 hrs staring at screens.

Since the doctors talked about intralase been the safest, i think i would go for it.
katpasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2011, 17:07   #244
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,226
Thanked: 408 Times
Default Re: Laser Eye Surgery - LASIK discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by katpasin View Post
Appreciate your input... here is my case
corneal thickness: 550 microns
After all the test, doctor said that i am a good candidate for lasik and can go for any type of Lasik(20k - 1.25L)
Rest period after surgery : 8 days. Would need to join office after that since i am in software field... would need to spend 8-10 hrs staring at screens.

Since the doctors talked about intralase been the safest, i think i would go for it.
katpasin

I have undergone Lasik (zyoptix) in both eyes. Had it done in sept 2005. I had it done on a friday and I joined my office on the coming monday itself! (I am an engineer myself and sit in front of a comp whole day). There were no problems at all. I had it done at Center for Sight, Delhi under Dr. Mahipal Sachdev (If I remember the name correctly). I think he was associated with AIIMS (as head of dept) as well and was an eminent eye surgeon at that time in Delhi.

Prior to lasik I was using glass with variable power (I think it was around -4 in one eye and -4.5 in other with some cyl as well, dont know really what that means). Lasik really has done a world of difference to me. Earlier I had to give up on physical sports like tennis, cricket, football, swimming etc as I would sweat a lot and my glasses would be drenched in sweat in no time (also I got hit on the glasses once playing cricket. luckily for me the shattered glass didnt enter the eyes).

On the flipside, the side effects are dry eyes sometimes (more so if I take some other kinds of medication like anti-allergics that I sometimes had to take when I moved here to Bangalore last year as I get allergic very often here. its the pollen in the air they say). For dry eyes you can use artificial tears for relief. Other than that I havent faced too many issues. Sometimes eyes do feel very tired if I stay very late (I follow Manchester United and some of the games go till 3am) but its acceptable (I have spent entire nights without sleep during marriages - my own and my sisters etc).

One thing I would advise is go for it only if you are convinced and really want it. Otherwise, if you are okay wearing glasses then leave it. Do your own research about the doctor as he/she matters the most. Its practically very safe (its the safest surgery statistically) but it will hurt a lot if you happen to be the unlucky one on the wrong side of the statistics! So take your own decision as ultimately its your eyes only.

Last edited by joslicx : 29th November 2011 at 17:08.
joslicx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2011, 20:23   #245
BHPian
 
slicvic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: KA 19
Posts: 732
Thanked: 354 Times
Default Re: Laser Eye Surgery - LASIK discussion

katpasin, you haven't mentioned your power. As joslicx has pointed out if your power is anything above 2.5 dioptres, any of the procedures will make a world of a difference for you.

Regards

V
slicvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2011, 22:42   #246
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,444
Thanked: 281 Times
Default Re: Laser Eye Surgery - LASIK discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Its practically very safe (its the safest surgery statistically)
What exactly does safest surgery statistically mean?
Does it mean
- it's the surgery where least number of patients die
- least number of patients have any minor complication(dry eyes, halos, floaters etc) whatsoever
- least number of major complications (affects quality of life seriously)
- least number of people gone blind

Anyways, do you have a cite for this - i.e. where did you find out that it is the safest surgery statistically?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
but it will hurt a lot if you happen to be the unlucky one on the wrong side of the statistics! So take your own decision as ultimately its your eyes only.
I, for one, would never do any voluntary surgery - especially if it's something like my eye. Surgery is for stuff which is life threatening or which affects your quality of life badly or stuff for which there is no other option.

Here is a forum where people with eye surgery problems post - D'Eyealogues
It's rather extreme - i.e. every one out there has had bad complications - obviously it's a very small set of people - but they have been screwed & hence they are very vociferous. Some of them had problems because of some mistake by the doctor (mistakes can happen even to the best), a lot of them have problems in spite of nothing going wrong with the procedure. Some of them had no problems for 10 years & started having problems.
One common thing amongst all of them is that they all wish they had never done the procedure.

I have posted few more links also earlier in this thread.

Last edited by carboy : 29th November 2011 at 23:00.
carboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2011, 22:51   #247
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 102
Thanked: Once
Default Re: Laser Eye Surgery - LASIK discussion

guys, thanks for sharing your experiences.

My power is -4 on the left eye and -3.25 on the right eye with -0.5 of cylindrical power.

Consulted another doc today and still do not have a clear answer on which lasik package to go for. Everybody says go for the best you can afford, so will take take surgery appointment for Thursday to undergo Intralase ultimate package.
katpasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2011, 23:05   #248
Senior - BHPian
 
rameshnanda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,223
Thanked: 801 Times
Default Re: Laser Eye Surgery - LASIK discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by katpasin View Post
guys, thanks for sharing your experiences.

My power is -4 on the left eye and -3.25 on the right eye with -0.5 of cylindrical power.

Consulted another doc today and still do not have a clear answer on which lasik package to go for. Everybody says go for the best you can afford, so will take take surgery appointment for Thursday to undergo Intralase ultimate package.
It is looking too expensive for me. Why don't you try Sankara Nethralaya in chennai? They are pioneers in eye care in India.

Check this out.
Lasik Corner
rameshnanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2011, 23:08   #249
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: delhi,haryana
Posts: 52
Thanked: 13 Times
Default Re: Laser Eye Surgery - LASIK discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by katpasin View Post
Guys, I had a consultation to get Lasik done today. All doctors i consulted in the hospital pushed for Intralase(blade free) lasik. Is the price difference justified?

I have still not found any evidence on the internet that there would be any difference in the outcome of either of the process.

Zyoptix ultimate - Rs75,000
Intralase ultimate Lasik - Rs1,25,000

Also i was assured that the Intralase process would not have any side effects other than dry eyes for maximum upto 6 months(Other than the issues like blurry,night vision in the initial days).
Hey its very safe to go for LASIK. I got my lasik done in 2003(i dont remember which type it was), joined merchant navy just after 1 month of the Lasik. I did swimming classes after 3 months. No problems faced till date. Dryness was felt for a month or two. Till date after about 9 years i haven't faced any issue with my eyes like dryness, blurred night vision. My spec no. was -1.25.

My wife went for Zyoptix Lasik surgery 3 years back & just like me she has also not had any issues till date.
.cArMaNiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2011, 10:49   #250
Team-BHP Support
 
noopster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 8,625
Thanked: 9,096 Times
Default Re: Laser Eye Surgery - LASIK discussion

.carmania- no offence but -1.25 is pretty low to be opting for LASIK, in my opinion. Typically 3.0 and above is when the dependence on glasses becomes really heavy and that's why LASIK becomes worthwhile.

If you had other reasons for going ahead- like you need to be spectacles-free in your work, or cosmetic reasons etc. then it makes sense.

Edit: my good friend who did LASIK just before me about 10 years ago has developed a slight power in both eyes NOW. Since we're both in mid-30s I guess it's not a big worry. In fact I developed a slight power about 3 months after surgery but never bothered "recorrecting" since my heavy dependence problem was solved: I can manage without glasses most of the time in an emergency.

Last edited by noopster : 30th November 2011 at 10:51.
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2011, 12:38   #251
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,226
Thanked: 408 Times
Default Re: Laser Eye Surgery - LASIK discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
What exactly does safest surgery statistically mean?
Does it mean
- it's the surgery where least number of patients die
- least number of patients have any minor complication(dry eyes, halos, floaters etc) whatsoever
- least number of major complications (affects quality of life seriously)
- least number of people gone blind

Anyways, do you have a cite for this - i.e. where did you find out that it is the safest surgery statistically?
Well when I went for my Lasik I did some extensive research on it. I also attended a seminar on Lasik by Dr Sachdev (who I think is one of the best eye doctor in India). Basically there are two types of risks:
1. Non fatal category which means little or no improvements in eyesight after injury. I think at that time the failure rate in this particular category (I am talking of 2005) was around 10%.
2. Fatal category which means total and non-recoverable loss of eyesight. The failure rate in this case was less than 1% because of Lasik.

Anybody who wants to research on Lasik can get the latest figures on internet or from a doctor. I am not interested in that at the moment so I wont bother doing it myself. For me the critical risk was that 1% component so I consider this surgery practically safe. In any case Lasik comes under cosmetic surgeries (other examples are Breast enhancements, nose correction, liposuction etc.) All of these carry their own risks but every year millions go for them worldwide! Dr Sachdev himself told that statistically it is the safest surgery worldwide. Most of the failures were in early years of Lasik (so about 30 years back) With more recent techniques like Zyoptix and all, the failure rate was still smaller. I think Interlase is even more recent so it might be even better.

Quote:
I, for one, would never do any voluntary surgery - especially if it's something like my eye. Surgery is for stuff which is life threatening or which affects your quality of life badly or stuff for which there is no other option.

Here is a forum where people with eye surgery problems post - D'Eyealogues
It's rather extreme - i.e. every one out there has had bad complications - obviously it's a very small set of people - but they have been screwed & hence they are very vociferous. Some of them had problems because of some mistake by the doctor (mistakes can happen even to the best), a lot of them have problems in spite of nothing going wrong with the procedure. Some of them had no problems for 10 years & started having problems.
One common thing amongst all of them is that they all wish they had never done the procedure.

I have posted few more links also earlier in this thread.
I appreciate your stand and have no problems with it. As I maintained earlier one should go for Lasik only if one wants it badly enough. There is a bit of a risk involved in everything in life! Everybody has his or her own risk appetite. If you see there are so many road accidents every year still we drive on roads everyday and still lot of people (some on this forum itself) take pride in reaching speeds of 120 or 140 or 180 and all.

What I am coming at is, each person sees things differently. My own personal case, my eyesight was ok till I was about 15. After that I used glasses for almost 10 years and it was some sort of suffering for me, using glasses for those years. I saw it as a sort of handicap and really badly wanted to be rid of them! I tried contact lenses but gave up as I couldnt wear them even after trying for hours! At the clinic the optician put them on for me and that day I was without glasses and I was so happy! I still remember it was 1st Jan 2005, I met few friends and partied. But by evening they started hurting a bit, so I took them off. Next morning tried putting them on for hours but couldnt and after that just gave up! Then in that summer I came across this seminar on Lasik by Dr Sachdev and after that I was convinced I was going for it! full one month I devoured Internet for more information on Lasik and read about all the risks/advantages/procedures and all. After that decided to go for it.

My parents were really shocked, and reacted just like you, they were very apprehensive but I was very determined and not once flinched at that time! At the day of surgery there were 12-15 others also there for Lasik. The entire procedure in both eyes hardly took 30 mins. There was a temporary loss of vision post surgery for about 15-20 mins. Then it started coming back. By evening, when Iwas back home I could see as good as I could without my glasses earlier (which is to say very foggy). But the real miracle happened next morning. When I woke up I could see everything perfectly without any aid (after long 10+ years). Now my vision is 20/20. It has been a blissful 6+ years so far. I am really very happy post Lasik. Of course it was a risk, but few risks are worth it in life. Theres no point in living with compromises and complains. I agree with you that may be 5, 10 or 20 years from now there might be some other complications but will see it at that time. For now, its better to live in present. Who knows about the future!
joslicx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2011, 10:43   #252
Distinguished - BHPian
 
amitoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 2,947
Thanked: 1,584 Times
Default Re: Laser Eye Surgery - LASIK discussion

2 years back, when my father was undergoing cataract removal at Shekar Netralaya, i decided to undergo tests to determine whether i could go for lasik or not. I could, but decided not to. I thought i will give contacts and spectacles another chance.

But contact lenses over a period of time turn out to be a constant expense and an occasional irritation. Couple of times a bad set of lenses left me in some discomfort. And spectacles somehow did not work for me either. So, did some more research, underwent some more tests over the last month or so, and finally decided to go for lasik last week. Even if it gives me a few years of lense free life, i decided its worth it. My contact lenses were costing me nearly 15K per year, which meant i could recover the cost of procedure in 2 years flat. Thats just the economical sense. The actual things that matter, like corneal thickness etc are given below.

Now to the procedure. A flap is created on your retina and then laser is used to correct the vision. Corneal thickness of 508 microns was enough to correct -3.75 diopter number. Each diopter needs 13 to 14 microns, and 160 microns for the flap. That would leave me with nearly 300 microns of corneal thickness, minimum required being 250.

As for the procedure itself, while its mostly painless, it is not totally discomfort free. And the first few hours after the procedure were indeed painful for me. Once i managed to get some sleep, and after a few eyedrops, things improved exponentially. Its been almost two days now and I am feeling liberated. There are still a few precautions to take for the first one month but it is essential they be taken. For example, no swimming or water sports activity for one month. No driving for the first couple of days. No facewash/head bath for the first one week. etc etc. And of course, follow the schedule of eyedrops as prescribed by the doctor.

Cheers
Amitoj
amitoj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2012, 20:20   #253
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 38
Thanked: 12 Times
Default Re: Laser Eye Surgery - LASIK discussion

Hi ! fellow Tbhpians ...being an eye doc I would be more than happy to answer any questions on this thread. let me know if I can be of any help.
Dr.Gagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2012, 09:18   #254
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,444
Thanked: 281 Times
Default Re: Laser Eye Surgery - LASIK discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
2) All these procedures are 10 odd years old - hence you really don't
know long term effects. In one of my earlier posts, I have given links about
couple of people having no problems for 8-9 years & then having serious
problems.
- CNA ENGLISH NEWS

Quote:
LASIK, or laser-assisted in-situ keratomileusis, has become increasingly popular in Taiwan since it was was first introduced to the country by ophthalmologist Tsai Jui-fang 20 years ago. Tsai, however, has sent shockwaves into the local ophthalmologic sector, especially medical institutes that run LASIK programs, since announcing that he will no longer perform the procedure.
Quote:

But the epoch-opening operation is not flawless, with some patients prone to side effects such as being dazzled, poor night vision and xerophthalmia, or dry-eye, and doctors usually need to evaluate the appropriateness of LASIK on potential patients and inform them of the possible risks.

More than 10 of Tsai's patients, mostly in their 40's or 50's, have complained about sharply deteriorating eyesight around 10 years after undergoing the procedure.

One of the cases involves a 45-year-old woman, who said she was "very depressed" as her LASIK-corrected eyesight had fallen so sharply that she could no longer drive.
carboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2012, 12:00   #255
Distinguished - BHPian
 
jkdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thiruvananthapu
Posts: 9,635
Thanked: 1,343 Times
Default Re: Laser Eye Surgery - LASIK discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
As for the procedure itself, while its mostly painless, it is not totally discomfort free. And the first few hours after the procedure were indeed painful for me. Once i managed to get some sleep, and after a few eyedrops, things improved exponentially. Its been almost two days now and I am feeling liberated. There are still a few precautions to take for the first one month but it is essential they be taken. For example, no swimming or water sports activity for one month. No driving for the first couple of days. No facewash/head bath for the first one week. etc etc. And of course, follow the schedule of eyedrops as prescribed by the doctor.

Cheers
Amitoj
Thanks good.

And how come 15k for contacts for an year?
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SX4 undergoes Eye Surgery - FXR Stage 4 Projectors and DRLs abirnale Modifications & Accessories 52 28th July 2016 10:23
SX4 OEM HU: By pass surgery for Amp section omishra In-Car Entertainment 75 5th January 2013 11:10
Eye to Eye contact- an important driving tool! akash_m Street Experiences 23 7th July 2007 02:57


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 06:02.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks