Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2013, 11:58   #271
Senior - BHPian
 
agambhandari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Delhi,Ludhiana
Posts: 1,105
Thanked: 812 Times
Default Re: Laser Eye Surgery - LASIK discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicvic View Post
I am a LASIK surgeon myself and think this is incorrect. Any references for the same?
http://www.usaeyes.org/lasik/faq/lasik-contacts.htm

This is what I was talking about
agambhandari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2013, 14:06   #272
Team-BHP Support
 
noopster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 8,628
Thanked: 9,103 Times
Default Re: Laser Eye Surgery - LASIK discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Recently I was at Wasan Eye Care for a routine eye test. I was told by one of the docs that Lasik is not recommended once you cross 35. Since I am 40+, he said Lasik is not even an option for me.
Samu, most people experience the onset of hypermetropia (longsightedness caused by onset of age) around 40. Even people with consistent negative power (shortsighted) are affected. As a result it is not often recommended after 35. Ideally you should do it between 19-30, when your vision has stabilised and you still have "good" years left.
I did mine at 25.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
My doctor in mumbai who recently performed the cataract surgery for my dad quoted around 30k for both the eyes and said that only couple of days of rest needed and everything would be normal.
Sounds good. 12 years ago I paid 36K and needed about 3 days off work and a week or so to recover completely. The technology has come a long way since then!

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
If you had a reasonably thick cornea, you would still be good, but sometimes you end up near the borderline and that is no good!
I don't agree with this.

My ophthalmologist had warned me that my cornea was probably not the ideal thickness and that I should expect some residual power. At that time my power was (-7.5,-5) in one eye and (-4.5,-2.5) in the other (spherical and cylindrical respectively). So I simply told him that anything to reduce my dependence was fine since I was virtually blind without my glasses.
He smiled and said that was the right attitude to have. I was left with spherical power of about -1 in one eye, -0.5 in the other. No regrets at all. I can still function fine for most normal household tasks and need the glasses for work, driving, watching TV etc.
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2013, 14:35   #273
Senior - BHPian
 
msdivy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,426
Thanked: 771 Times
Default Re: Laser Eye Surgery - LASIK discussion

Any recommended place in Bangalore for Lasik?
msdivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2013, 15:26   #274
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 33
Thanked: 2 Times
Default Re: Laser Eye Surgery - LASIK discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijeetsng View Post
In Delhi. Go straight to Mohan Eye Institute. Its near Sir Ganga Ram Hospital.
Another option for Lasik is Eye7. Heard quite a lot about them.
I have had Lasik at Eye7 south delhi already at end of '12.

About the surgery, I opted for Custom Q Blade variant for Lasik, costed me 55k. Although I could see clearly 3-4 days after surgery for distant objects, I had trouble reading or looking at computer as it appeared blurry with less contrast and I had to focus really hard to read. Also in low light i felt my vision had decreased and I see star burst effect if I looked at bright lights in night. It took me almost a month to get the blurriness away and contrast sensitivity back to normal.

Now after 1.5 month post surgery, I still feel sometimes my vision fluctuates in low light and star bursts if I look at small lights (like LED) in complete darkness. It doesn't bother me much though. However driving in night can lead to dry eyes. The doctor is saying it can take 3 months to get the vision perfectly fine. However, reading more on the internet, I'm seeing the recovery time varies a lot from patient to patient and can take upto 1 year in some cases. Normally, they don't tell you about this recovery time when you consult them initially. They will mention like in 2 weeks your eyes would be perfectly fine.

As someone mentioned in this thread before, go for Lasik surgery if you really want it, there's still a risk associated with it. The treatment on how much your cornea need to be reshaped (burned) depends upon statistics for an average person. If you are on wrong side of statistics, there can be some complications which would never go away.

BTW cornea thinning due to contacts is true. For one of my friends who wore contacts for 5yrs, the doctor(in USA) told the same thing when he went to see him for Lasik. Due to his thin cornea, it was told to him he needs to get PRK surgery done instead of lasik.
Haste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2013, 16:04   #275
Senior - BHPian
 
agambhandari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Delhi,Ludhiana
Posts: 1,105
Thanked: 812 Times
Default Re: Laser Eye Surgery - LASIK discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Samu, most people experience the onset of hypermetropia (longsightedness caused by onset of age) around 40. Even people with consistent negative power (shortsighted) are affected. As a result it is not often recommended after 35. Ideally you should do it between 19-30, when your vision has stabilised and you still have "good" years left.
Actually Hypermetropia is the term given to the Long sightedness at all ages due to karger focal length of Eye.
Presbyopia is the correct term for the Age-associated long sightedness.
and you have given a correct reason.
But Samurai, cheer up because even Presbyopia is being treated now with LASIK!


Quote:
I don't agree with this.

My ophthalmologist had warned me that my cornea was probably not the ideal thickness and that I should expect some residual power. At that time my power was (-7.5,-5) in one eye and (-4.5,-2.5) in the other (spherical and cylindrical respectively). So I simply told him that anything to reduce my dependence was fine since I was virtually blind without my glasses.
He smiled and said that was the right attitude to have. I was left with spherical power of about -1 in one eye, -0.5 in the other. No regrets at all. I can still function fine for most normal household tasks and need the glasses for work, driving, watching TV etc.
You took my post out of context. I said that if you are already a borderline case, wearing contacts can worsen the situation and that is no good.

and even a borderline case doesn't mean that you are guaranteed bad results. It only indicates higher chances of complications. But there can be good results as well, you being a prime example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haste View Post
I have had Lasik at Eye7 south delhi already at end of '12.


BTW cornea thinning due to contacts is true. For one of my friends who wore contacts for 5yrs, the doctor(in USA) told the same thing when he went to see him for Lasik. Due to his thin cornea, it was told to him he needs to get PRK surgery done instead of lasik.
Thanks for giving a real life example for all of us. PRK would then be much more acceptable in such a case.
agambhandari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2013, 19:28   #276
BHPian
 
slicvic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: KA 19
Posts: 736
Thanked: 355 Times
Default Re: Laser Eye Surgery - LASIK discussion

Sorry for the late reply, had been travelling and just got back today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
May be you should learn to google too.
Wish they taught me that at med school

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Earlier LASIK would correct only one distance, and since you were Presbyopic (needing a diff power for distance and a diff power for near) you would have been counselled against LASIK. But if you were interested in LASIK then, i wouldn't be surprised if they suddenly found you fit for LASIK

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
It states more the time you have used the contacts, earlier you need to leave them before surgery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
Contact lenses induce warpage, a slight change in the shape of the cornea. This is more so with hard contact lenses. Hard contact lenses are hardly used these days.
Soft contact lenses induce an edema and not corneal thinning.

Because of these reasons patients are advised to stop lens usage prior to LASIK. 2 weeks for soft contact lenses, and a longer period for hard contact lenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
My ophthalmologist had warned me that my cornea was probably not the ideal thickness and that I should expect some residual power.
He smiled and said that was the right attitude to have. I was left with spherical power of about -1 in one eye, -0.5 in the other. No regrets at all.
The goal of LASIK is to reduce spectacle dependence and not to make the power 'ZERO', in a patient with a power of -1.25 a residual -1.0 will not be acceptable, so the goal too changes from case to case.

In patients with thin corneas a surface ablation (PRK) is preferred, or if not thick enough for a PRK and the patient is understanding a residual is planned giving safety a priority.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Haste View Post

As someone mentioned in this thread before, go for Lasik surgery if you really want it, there's still a risk associated with it.

BTW cornea thinning due to contacts is true. For one of my friends who wore contacts for 5yrs, the doctor(in USA) told the same thing when he went to see him for Lasik. Due to his thin cornea, it was told to him he needs to get PRK surgery done instead of lasik.
There will always be a risk with it, as with any surgical procedure, there is no 100% success. The surgeon who says so is a liar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
But Samurai, cheer up because even Presbyopia is being treated now with LASIK!
Yes all of us eye surgeons are looking forward to this. We have turned down hundreds of patients till now, and in the future hope that everyone can be spectacle free. Myself included.
slicvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2013, 00:16   #277
BHPian
 
absynthguzzler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: hyderabad
Posts: 650
Thanked: 223 Times
Default Re: Laser Eye Surgery - LASIK discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by katpasin View Post
guys, thanks for sharing your experiences.

My power is -4 on the left eye and -3.25 on the right eye with -0.5 of cylindrical power.

Consulted another doc today and still do not have a clear answer on which lasik package to go for. Everybody says go for the best you can afford, so will take take surgery appointment for Thursday to undergo Intralase ultimate package.
Hi ,

so whats the update ?!? which one did you choose and hope life's crystal clear

im just about reading up on lasik and planning to go for it next month. So which hospital and doc did you choose .

cheers
arun
absynthguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2013, 09:09   #278
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 102
Thanked: Once
Default Re: Laser Eye Surgery - LASIK discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by absynthguzzler View Post
Hi ,

so whats the update ?!? which one did you choose and hope life's crystal clear

im just about reading up on lasik and planning to go for it next month. So which hospital and doc did you choose .

cheers
arun
Yes, my sight is normal now. And that is a great feeling. However, i still have Dryness and still using drops and gels along with Restasis.

Doctors now blame it on Vitamin A deficiency. If this was a known thing, wonder why is was a Vitamin A deficiency test not done before the surgery.

If you have absolutely no dryness, you can go for the surgery, otherwise, think twice.

I got mine done from Maxivision, Somajiguda
katpasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2013, 18:07   #279
BHPian
 
Farukh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 76
Thanked: 41 Times
Default Re: Laser Eye Surgery - LASIK discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by katpasin View Post
I got mine done from Maxivision, Somajiguda
What was the power of glasses you wore before surgery? How much did you spend for the surgery? I understand it differs from person to person and eye to eye.
Farukh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2013, 18:16   #280
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 594
Thanked: 29 Times
Default Re: Laser Eye Surgery - LASIK discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farukh View Post
What was the power of glasses you wore before surgery? How much did you spend for the surgery? I understand it differs from person to person and eye to eye.
Already mentioned by him

Originally Posted by katpasin
My power is -4 on the left eye and -3.25 on the right eye with -0.5 of cylindrical power.
aka_iitd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2013, 19:18   #281
Team-BHP Support
 
noopster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 8,628
Thanked: 9,103 Times
Default Re: Laser Eye Surgery - LASIK discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
Actually Hypermetropia is the term given to the Long sightedness at all ages due to karger focal length of Eye.
Presbyopia is the correct term for the Age-associated long sightedness.
and you have given a correct reason.
If it's any excuse I was recalling from Class IX Biology.
Quote:
You took my post out of context. I said that if you are already a borderline case, wearing contacts can worsen the situation and that is no good.

and even a borderline case doesn't mean that you are guaranteed bad results. It only indicates higher chances of complications. But there can be good results as well, you being a prime example.
I did in fact misunderstand your post. Apologies.

Unrelated- I saw an eye doctor the other day (for some eyelid infection) and he was surprised when I told him I had been LASIKed. Said there is not even the slightest indication of it (did a fairly thorough physical examination).

Maybe I should get 'em presbyoped too eh?
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2013, 19:55   #282
BHPian
 
Farukh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 76
Thanked: 41 Times
Default Re: Laser Eye Surgery - LASIK discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_iitd View Post
Already mentioned by him.
My bad, didn't see that. Thank you aka_iitd.

katpasin, if it is okay with you, could you please share the cost? Also, did you considered other clinics in Hyd before zeroing in on Maxivision?

Last edited by Farukh : 1st March 2013 at 19:56. Reason: Addition
Farukh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2013, 20:29   #283
Senior - BHPian
 
agambhandari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Delhi,Ludhiana
Posts: 1,105
Thanked: 812 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post

Unrelated- I saw an eye doctor the other day (for some eyelid infection) and he was surprised when I told him I had been LASIKed. Said there is not even the slightest indication of it (did a fairly thorough physical examination).

Maybe I should get 'em presbyoped too eh?
It is probably because it has been a long time since the procedure. Good to know , your surgeon did a good job and your eye is perfectly healed!!
Of course, if you experience any problems with your usage with specs, PresbyLasik would be appropriate. Keep us posted..
Cheers!!
agambhandari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2013, 22:39   #284
BHPian
 
slicvic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: KA 19
Posts: 736
Thanked: 355 Times
Default Re: Laser Eye Surgery - LASIK discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Unrelated- I saw an eye doctor the other day (for some eyelid infection) and he was surprised when I told him I had been LASIKed. Said there is not even the slightest indication of it (did a fairly thorough physical examination).
This is quite possible. Always remember to mention to your eye surgeon about your previous LASIK surgery. LASIK changes the corneal thickness and corneal curvature. Now these are used in calclation of Intra Ocular Pressure or a Lens implant power for cataract and so if you dont mention it, it might lead to errors.
slicvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2013, 23:09   #285
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 102
Thanked: Once
Default Re: Laser Eye Surgery - LASIK discussion

The surgery cost me 1.25L.
katpasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SX4 undergoes Eye Surgery - FXR Stage 4 Projectors and DRLs abirnale Modifications & Accessories 52 28th July 2016 10:23
SX4 OEM HU: By pass surgery for Amp section omishra In-Car Entertainment 75 5th January 2013 11:10
Eye to Eye contact- an important driving tool! akash_m Street Experiences 23 7th July 2007 02:57


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 03:43.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks