Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 1st March 2013, 23:28   #286
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by katpasin
The surgery cost me 1.25L.
That's expensive. I thought the cost was more in the range of 30-40k. Sometime last year manipal was offering it for 25 k. Some of my friends got it done in Singapore for 4 k Sgd each eye some 10 years ago. I got it done in Bombay then for 25k.
Wheeliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2013, 23:32   #287
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Laser Eye Surgery - LASIK discussion

cost depends upon the correction needed AFAIK.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2013, 23:45   #288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by katpasin View Post
The surgery cost me 1.25L.
Man! That is a bomb!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheeliej View Post
That's expensive. I thought the cost was more in the range of 30-40k. Sometime last year manipal was offering it for 25 k. Some of my friends got it done in Singapore for 4 k Sgd each eye some 10 years ago. I got it done in Bombay then for 25k.
A friend's friend got it done couple of years ago under 20K and I was like . The power of the glasses was -3. No idea about spherical or cylendrical.

Another friend's friend got it done in LV Prasad eye institute in Hyd and the bill was 80-90K. This included his stay for 4-5 days in the hospital. No complications, he opted to stay because he did not have family here in Hyd. No idea about spherical or cylendrical.
Farukh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2013, 07:28   #289
BHPian

Well, the range starts from. 20k to 1.25L. They differ due to the technology used. I was told that my eyes were good candidates for all packages. Also the higher package depletes less corneal thickness allowing any further correction/operation in future. I did take advice from other docs, but was told about differences between maruti 800 and Mercedes... Both of them work, just depends on which 1 u can afford.
Since i did want to take any chances with my only pair of eyes, went for the highest pack.
The same pack in lv prasad costs around 90k
katpasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2013, 16:02   #290
BHPian

Hello everyone,

I've been lurking on this thread for a while now. It's good to see recent posts about people's experiences. I was very keen on getting my vision corrected a couple of years ago but shied away because of the risks associated and a few other reasons. I consulted three separate clinics in Mumbai and was assessed as a suitable candidate by all three of them. Apparently my corneal thickness is ample (above average for an Indian, I was told).

However, a few reasons left me unable to decide if I wanted to go for the surgery after all. Firstly, there was slight difference in results between all three clinics when they checked my power. Which one was correct? I met three doctors and got a consultation.

The first one was very attentive, answered all questions to my satisfaction and I felt good after the consultation. However, he quoted 80k for correcting vision in both eyes and that too for a procedure with a blade. He didn't have a bladeless option. I read that bladeless was all the rage. So I atarted looking for someone who offered that option.

The second doctor was also quite reputed but was ultra busy and very hasty. I wasn't a 100% satisfied during the consultation. I read up on him and found many favorable testimonials. He quoted 80k for a blade free process. I almost decided to go for it, when I happened to chance upon an article about this doctor on the internet. Apparently, he had been sued by a couple of patients who lost their eyesight after he performed a procedure (not lasik but something else) on them at a famous Bandra hospital. This made me very doubtful and I decided to search for someone else.

I went to a third clinic and met another doctor. He was relatively younger and not as expereienced as the other two but we established a good rapport during the consultation. He offered me both options (blade free and one with a blade) and the cost was also within my budget. I was finally relieved and boked an appointment for the surgery for a week down the line. It was while exiting the clinic, happy that I finally was on my way to getting rid of my glasses that I saw a huge black rat scampering in the hallway of the clinic. That's right, a rat in a clinic where they operate on people's eyes!!! That did it for me and I decided against the surgery. I called them and canceled my appointment.

So, it's been a while and I'm again thinking of seeking the right surgeon, the right procedure and a place with no negative records and definitely no rats!!! Can anyone recommend a good surgeon in Mumbai? Any advice on whether I should opt for the regular procedure with a keratome/blade, which has been tried and tested by so many? Or should I go for the blade free procedure where they create a flap with a laser, which is relatively new but is promoted as the better option with a reduced risk of complications?

I may appear to be very fussy but when going for an irreversible procedure, I don't want to take any chances. I'm currently 35 years of age and have around -4.25 in each eye with cyl of -0.75. Any advice or reviews would be much appreciated. Thank you for reading.

Last edited by Wolfheart : 3rd March 2013 at 16:12. Reason: Correcting typos
Wolfheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2013, 20:19   #291
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
Any advice on whether I should opt for the regular procedure with a keratome/blade, which has been tried and tested by so many? Or should I go for the blade free procedure where they create a flap with a laser, which is relatively new but is promoted as the better option with a reduced risk of complications?
If you can afford it go for a blade free procedure. Not only is the complication rate lesser, the post op visual rehabilitation is also faster. But do keep in mind that it too has its small percentage of chance of error. There is no surgery in which there are no risks involved. LASIK however happens to be the safest surgery
slicvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2013, 20:59   #292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicvic View Post
There is no surgery in which there are no risks involved.
Which is why I cannot understand why anyone would ever go for elective non medically necessary surgery, especially when any problem could be to your eyes, through which you experience practically everything in your life.

Quote:
LASIK however happens to be the safest surgery
Do you have a cite for this?
carboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2013, 16:43   #293
BHPian

Quote:
If you can afford it go for a blade free procedure. Not only is the complication rate lesser, the post op visual rehabilitation is also faster. But do keep in mind that it too has its small percentage of chance of error. There is no surgery in which there are no risks involved. LASIK however happens to be the safest surgery
Thank you Slicvic.

How do I calculate the approximate risks applicable in my case? What are the possibilitie? How can one minimise risks? Are the complications temporary or long term? Does the experience of the surgeon play an important part? Does the equipment used have varying degrees of risk? I would realy appreciate if you and other surgeons on this forum could give a precise idea of what risks one may face?
Wolfheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2013, 17:22   #294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post

Do you have a cite for this?
http://www.dukehealth.org/health_lib...how-safe-is-it

thats a link i found now, had earlier read it elsewhere though, besides its mentioned all the time in our conferences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
Thank you Slicvic.

How do I calculate the approximate risks applicable in my case? What are the possibilitie? How can one minimise risks? Are the complications temporary or long term? Does the experience of the surgeon play an important part? Does the equipment used have varying degrees of risk? I would realy appreciate if you and other surgeons on this forum could give a precise idea of what risks one may face?
Would require more details from you regarding your power and corneal thickness. lets take it over PM
Old 4th March 2013, 18:30   #295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
http://www.dukehealth.org/health_lib...how-safe-is-it

thats a link i found now, had earlier read it elsewhere though, besides its mentioned all the time in our conferences.
That link has nothing which says that it's the safest surgery.

Who mentions it in the conferences? Is it people who sell LASIK equipment?

"Safest" surgery is a really big claim to make. It doesn't make sense unless it's backed up by studies comparing to various other kinds of safe surgeries.
carboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2013, 18:52   #296
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
That link has nothing which says that it's the safest surgery.

Who mentions it in the conferences? Is it people who sell LASIK equipment?

"Safest" surgery is a really big claim to make. It doesn't make sense unless it's backed up by studies comparing to various other kinds of safe surgeries.
How common are complications?
The complication rate for LASIK surgery is very low, making it one of the safest surgical procedures around.

thats the 3rd Q&A on that link.

Having said that i should inform you that theres a new refractive procedure called ReLEx SMILE, which the manufacturer says is safer than LASIK

However everything the pharma and equipment manufacturers say is taken with a pinch of salt.

Im not making big claims, i was just pointing out that it is quite safe.

Regards

V
Old 5th March 2013, 16:46   #297
Team-BHP Support

I have been wearing glasses for 28 years. Lasik can make a huge difference for me, considering I don't wear contacts. But, each time I was tempted, I googled for latest info, got scared at the horror stories and decided against the procedure.

In other words, LASIK is a personal choice. For some, the benefits outweigh risks, for rest risks outweigh the benefits. I am in the latter camp. That doesn't mean I should promote my point of view by arguing with LASIK doctors and scare the potential candidates. Just stating the opinion or personal preference is enough.

Ask your questions, let LASIK experts and LASIK-treated people give their feedback. And then make your very personal decision about the procedure.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2013, 12:24   #298
BHPian

I have been wearing glasses for more than 12 years right from my early school days. Before i completed my higher education my power was close to -1.5 to 2 (no cylindrical power) but now its -3.25 in right eye and -3 in left eye without any cylindrical power.

I had used disposable lens for some time and got rid of the daily procedural difficulties and feel comfortable with the spectacles for ever over the CLs.

But now i am opting for a Lasik surgery to get rid of the power. Can someone suggest a good clinic in Bangalore who can do a precise job.

Also i don't understand the treatment which is with incision and what i understand is that there is just one treatment which is a laser light based medical procedure which hardly takes not more than 5 mins for a couple of sittings. Please pardon my ignorance and please share more information about the same with medical cost for the treatment.

Last edited by rki2007 : 29th May 2013 at 12:26.
rki2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2013, 13:13   #299
BHPian

LASIK is a safe procedure just like any other surgery when done under the supervision of expert Doctors. I got my vision corrected 4.5yrs ago (@MaxiVision, Hyderabad) giving me freedom from the 14yr relationship with the glasses(-7.5 was my power at the time of surgery).

However, the problem after surgery is that you may strain your eyes at nights with heads on vehicle lighting causing more trouble than it causes to normal people.
Initially, Your eyes may get dry at times which would make your vision blurred. If we follow the initial medication(eye drops) suggested by the doctors there shouldn't be any issue.

Personally I would recommend/suggest LASIK, as I know close to 5people inclusing me(power ranging from -0.75 to -7.5) who preffered the surgery and are happy with its outcome. The cost and kind of surgery depends on various parameters that the Docs look out for(don't exactly remember). It ranged from Rs.20K-100K in 2008, so not sure about the present prices. And it hardly took 10mins for the surgery to happen, trust me, I was nervous before the surgery but the operation theatre was playing music and was super chilled with A.C, which made me feel comfortable. There's no pain involved, so they don't give any anaesthesia. Cost involved is only on the type of surgery you prefer and not on the power you have.

Last edited by 21Archer84 : 29th May 2013 at 13:21. Reason: Duration of surgery
21Archer84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2013, 15:04   #300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21Archer84 View Post
LASIK is a safe procedure just like any other surgery when done under the supervision of expert Doctors. I got my vision corrected 4.5yrs ago (@MaxiVision, Hyderabad) giving me freedom from the 14yr relationship with the glasses(-7.5 was my power at the time of surgery).
I've got a ditto power. Even I'm thinking of going for it. The feeling of seeing the ceiling fan clearly, when you open your eyes in the morning, sure must be awesome.

Can someone suggest a nice doctor in Bangalore. Someone trusted. Ahmedabad will do too as I can visit my family and bunk work for a week.
creative420 is offline   Reply With Quote