Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2017, 21:57   #17311
M35
BHPian
 
M35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: KL 9
Posts: 601
Thanked: 1,246 Times
Default Re: The Official non-auto Image thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
A water lily about to fold up for the day, taken yesterday evening, Nikon D610 + AF-S VR Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8 G IF-ED.
Lovely shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Wild bull elephant in musth. High ISO shot, processed as a low key image for wildlife fine art print. Which looks better? Colour or B&W?
First one, if you ask me.

An egret just about to take off !
The Official non-auto Image thread-_dsc21522.jpg
M35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2017, 22:38   #17312
BHPian
 
Durango Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 713
Thanked: 563 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by M35 View Post
Lovely shot.
Thank you! Wonderful frame on the egret about to take off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Wild bull elephant in musth. High ISO shot, processed as a low key image for wildlife fine art print. Which looks better? Colour or B&W?
B&W, of course, adds character! Excellent portrait of the pachyderm!

Last edited by ampere : 6th September 2017 at 22:59. Reason: back to back posts merged
Durango Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2017, 16:04   #17313
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: mum,lko,kolkata
Posts: 691
Thanked: 653 Times
Default Re: The Official non-auto Image thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
I ave vertigo; can't even look down from a height, unless I force myself :-)
Very nice.
A few wildlife shots. JPEGs resized, excuse the quality.
Et tu, Brutus!! Nilanjan, because of this problem, I persuaded the better half that we mustn't go in for a high-rise (even when the opportunity presented itself once!), but to stick to one of the lower floors!

The tusker caught head on is gripping and unusual. How far away were you at the time?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
I've been trying out the Plotagraph software got it on my iPhone and have some animations done and have shared it on my Instagram handle.
Here're some links where you can see it:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BYmtABBlM5o/?hl=en
https://www.instagram.com/p/BYlMe39F4Gp/?hl=en
And a Butterfly from my garden taken today: Common Mormon Female on a Perwinkle with Nikon D610 + Tamron 150-600mm lens.
Durango Dude, your butterflies (this one as well as the earlier one) really seem to capture - for me certainly - the timeless grace & beauty of nature. We all know that nature in the raw is often seen as savage & feral, but your butterflies capture the other side of the story as well.


Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Wild bull elephant in musth. High ISO shot, processed as a low key image for wildlife fine art print. Which looks better? Colour or B&W?
I would say that the sepia (colour) photograph carries the story better. From what one reads, elephants in musth (even those in captivity) are treated with caution. How close was this one at the time when you took the photo?

Last edited by shashanka : 7th September 2017 at 16:08.
shashanka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2017, 16:48   #17314
BHPian
 
Durango Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 713
Thanked: 563 Times
Default Re: The Official non-auto Image thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
Durango Dude, your butterflies (this one as well as the earlier one) really seem to capture - for me certainly - the timeless grace & beauty of nature. We all know that nature in the raw is often seen as savage & feral, but your butterflies capture the other side of the story as well.
Thank you, Shashanka! Here's another butterfly shot a Common Leopard Butterfly a plane and a squirrel taken today...
Attached Thumbnails
The Official non-auto Image thread-topaz-1349-copy.jpg  

The Official non-auto Image thread-topaz-1236-copy.jpg  

The Official non-auto Image thread-topaz-1290001_filtered-copy.jpg  


Last edited by Durango Dude : 7th September 2017 at 16:50.
Durango Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2017, 17:21   #17315
Senior - BHPian
 
nilanjanray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,810
Thanked: 2,236 Times
Default Re: The Official non-auto Image thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
The tusker caught head on is gripping and unusual. How far away were you at the time?
It came within ~ 20 feet when it charged. I don't like elephants in musth, glad our Gypsy scooted off after that.
nilanjanray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2017, 20:22   #17316
M35
BHPian
 
M35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: KL 9
Posts: 601
Thanked: 1,246 Times
Default Re: The Official non-auto Image thread

Upupa epops

The Official non-auto Image thread-_dsc38715edit2.jpg
M35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2017, 21:22   #17317
BHPian
 
Durango Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 713
Thanked: 563 Times
Default Re: The Official non-auto Image thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by M35 View Post
Upupa epops

Attachment 1673421
Excellent Hoopoe portrait! Here's a macro of a Common Mormon Butterfly female caught in action at close range. Nikon D610 + MicroNikkor 105mmf/2.8VR.
Attached Thumbnails
The Official non-auto Image thread-dark-knight-copy.jpg  

Durango Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2017, 23:50   #17318
Senior - BHPian
 
nilanjanray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,810
Thanked: 2,236 Times
Default Re: The Official non-auto Image thread

Practice. Today afternoon/eve.

Name:  DSC_0215_000011C.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  217.4 KB

Name:  DSC_0654_00001imp2.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  201.1 KB

Name:  DSC_0039_000013C.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  137.3 KB

The 2nd is my favourite, simply from an effort point of view. 1/30s, handheld, 750mm equivalent. Lots of moving on my part to align the light + bird, and also focus on the birds in evening light. I was trying lower shutter speeds earlier, to keep down the ISO (I was using a DX body), but was getting too much motion blur since the birds were moving.
nilanjanray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2017, 07:33   #17319
BHPian
 
Durango Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 713
Thanked: 563 Times
Default Re: The Official non-auto Image thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Practice. Today afternoon/eve. The 2nd is my favourite, simply from an effort point of view. 1/30s, handheld, 750mm equivalent. Lots of moving on my part to align the light + bird, and also focus on the birds in evening light. I was trying lower shutter speeds earlier, to keep down the ISO (I was using a DX body), but was getting too much motion blur since the birds were moving.
Superb pics, Nilanjan. I like the one with the heron tossing up the fish! What DX body do you use! I initially leant photography with the Nikon D3200 and then moved to a Nikon D610, I've retained the 3200 and my wife uses it, now. At present I'm drooling over the D500!!
Durango Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2017, 13:33   #17320
Senior - BHPian
 
nilanjanray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,810
Thanked: 2,236 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
Superb pics, Nilanjan. I like the one with the heron tossing up the fish! What DX body do you use! I initially leant photography with the Nikon D3200 and then moved to a Nikon D610, I've retained the 3200 and my wife uses it, now. At present I'm drooling over the D500!!
That was shot with a D500
nilanjanray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2017, 10:36   #17321
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: mum,lko,kolkata
Posts: 691
Thanked: 653 Times
Default Re: The Official non-auto Image thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
It came within ~ 20 feet when it charged. I don't like elephants in musth, glad our Gypsy scooted off after that.
Nilanjanji, that is the difference between amateur shutterbugs like me and a dedicated pro like yourself! 20ft from a charging bull tusker is, for me, an excellent recipe for arm-chair reading of the tale!


Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Practice. Today afternoon/eve.
The 2nd is my favourite, simply from an effort point of view. 1/30s, handheld, 750mm equivalent. Lots of moving on my part to align the light + bird, and also focus on the birds in evening light. I was trying lower shutter speeds earlier, to keep down the ISO (I was using a DX body), but was getting too much motion blur since the birds were moving.
I would second Durango Dude's preference - the bird tossing the fish. I understand the importance of the tech. details of the shooting process, but for me the initial visual impact is what lingers.....

Last edited by shashanka : 10th September 2017 at 10:41.
shashanka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2017, 11:45   #17322
BHPian
 
i20ian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Bangalore/ Pgt
Posts: 96
Thanked: 245 Times
Default Re: The Official non-auto Image thread

Lots of fabulous pictures in this thread.
Here's a few from my recent encounters

The Official non-auto Image thread-img_84051200x1800.jpg


The Official non-auto Image thread-img_81981600x1067.jpg


The Official non-auto Image thread-img_83581200x1800.jpg
i20ian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2017, 13:07   #17323
Senior - BHPian
 
nilanjanray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,810
Thanked: 2,236 Times
Default Re: The Official non-auto Image thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
Nilanjanji, that is the difference between amateur shutterbugs like me and a dedicated pro like yourself! 20ft from a charging bull tusker is, for me, an excellent recipe for arm-chair reading of the tale!

I would second Durango Dude's preference - the bird tossing the fish. I understand the importance of the tech. details of the shooting process, but for me the initial visual impact is what lingers.....
No, I am never comfortable re cranky elephants. Perhaps the vehicle should have moved out sooner.

Re the darter and the fish: it was just an action shot. I still like the blue image more :-)

Resized jpegs, Oriental White Eye.

Name:  DSC_3136_00001.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  147.3 KB

Name:  DSC_1767_000013.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  71.5 KB
nilanjanray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2017, 13:31   #17324
BHPian
 
Durango Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 713
Thanked: 563 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by i20ian View Post
Lots of fabulous pictures in this thread.
Here's a few from my recent encounters

Lovely wild life images, i20ian!

Here's an image of mating Asian Koel's taken way back in 2014 and a macro of a Rose Bud taken today 10-09-2017.

The Official non-auto Image thread-dsc_4103-copy.jpg

The Official non-auto Image thread-macrose-copy.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
No, I am never comfortable re cranky elephants. Perhaps the vehicle should have moved out sooner.

Re the darter and the fish: it was just an action shot. I still like the blue image more :-)

Resized jpegs, Oriental White Eye
Lovely images, Nilanjan!

Last edited by ampere : 10th September 2017 at 15:42. Reason: back to back posts merged
Durango Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2017, 21:03   #17325
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: mum,lko,kolkata
Posts: 691
Thanked: 653 Times
Default Re: The Official non-auto Image thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Trainline through a forest, monochrome
Attachment 1594816
Now this is once again - for me - that trip to Magonia. I don't know what photographic black-magic you have used Nilanjan, but the effect is vertigo-inducing - devastating!
Definitely heading for that private hall of fame.
shashanka is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Auto-Image thread tsk1979 Shifting gears 4080 22nd October 2017 23:48
Pics: The Official Porsche 997 Carrera thread! Discuss 997 non-turbo models here. RJK Super-Cars & Imports in India 117 22nd January 2013 18:22


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 21:13.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks