Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2010, 21:33   #9451
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,850
Thanked: 15,406 Times
Default

Pawan, the scene is backlit. so use flash to make the pic pop out more
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2010, 21:38   #9452
Team-BHP Support
 
theMAG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 6,992
Thanked: 1,419 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqueguru View Post
Had a d90 with me for a day, was checking it out for a friend as he had bought it second hand. Shot taken with a 50 mm 1.4 lens attached.
Attachment 372711
Regards,
TG.
That is mindblowing stuff ! Generally, how do you manage to have this kind of perfect lighting to accentuate in your photos ?!
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2010, 21:59   #9453
BHPian
 
Torqueguru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Seattle
Posts: 277
Thanked: 161 Times
Default

@theMAG
Most of my shots are taken in the evening just before the sun says bye bye. I love natural light. I try to place my subjects in positions where the background does not receive much of light. So that there is a contrast between the subject and the background. Also, I look around for bounced light which might create interesting results. Sometime making some one stand close to a light colored wall really makes up for the fill light, but at the same time I might try and avoid the wall in my shot. I think it's all about being creatively independent of the limitations that exist around you, if that makes any sense!

In this shot, the amount of light is multiplied many times, due to the mirror and it acts acts a natural fill agent and at the same time, became a good tool to help me compose the image. So what it really is, is nothing but using whatever is around you in a creative manner to yield results that appeal to your eyes.
The Official non-auto Image thread-4685016118_748d59227a_b.jpg
Regards,
TG.

Last edited by Torqueguru : 22nd June 2010 at 22:01.
Torqueguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2010, 23:23   #9454
Senior - BHPian
 
clevermax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tvm/Amsterdam
Posts: 1,565
Thanked: 359 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqueguru View Post
I try to place my subjects in positions where the background does not receive much of light. So that there is a contrast between the subject and the background. Also, I look around for bounced light which might create interesting results. Sometime making some one stand close to a light colored wall really makes up for the fill light, but at the same time I might try and avoid the wall in my shot..
TG, This is exactly what I have done in this picture! Happy to see what you've explained because I put it into practice at least very few times.
(Sunlight in one side, white wall on the other side & darker background)

Last edited by clevermax : 22nd June 2010 at 23:26.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2010, 00:23   #9455
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Pune - Now in Munich, Germany
Posts: 756
Thanked: 104 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
The second one is nice, i dont know i like it some how. Here is one taken with an old P&S.

Attachment 373139

JK I told you the horizon needs to be corrected, One from the sunset series

Attachment 373132

Pramod
The 2nd shot is amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Pawan, the scene is backlit. so use flash to make the pic pop out more
Thanks for the suggestion tsk, I never used flash in my most of the photos. Now I should start playing with flash too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
TG, This is exactly what I have done in this picture! Happy to see what you've explained because I put it into practice at least very few times.
(Sunlight in one side, white wall on the other side & darker background)
You got it correct in this photo. Nice portrait.

Here is one of the shot where I was playing with my 55-250 lense. The shot was taken at 250mm and 3 feet away from the subject.

Name:  IMG_5460.JPG
Views: 241
Size:  127.1 KB
pawan_pullarwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2010, 01:16   #9456
BHPian
 
HellwratH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 115
Thanked: 57 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqueguru View Post
@theMAG
Most of my shots are taken in the evening just before the sun says bye bye. I love natural light. I try to place my subjects in positions where the background does not receive much of light. So that there is a contrast between the subject and the background. Also, I look around for bounced light which might create interesting results. Sometime making some one stand close to a light colored wall really makes up for the fill light, but at the same time I might try and avoid the wall in my shot. I think it's all about being creatively independent of the limitations that exist around you, if that makes any sense!

In this shot, the amount of light is multiplied many times, due to the mirror and it acts acts a natural fill agent and at the same time, became a good tool to help me compose the image. So what it really is, is nothing but using whatever is around you in a creative manner to yield results that appeal to your eyes.
Attachment 373175
Regards,
TG.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
TG, This is exactly what I have done in this picture! Happy to see what you've explained because I put it into practice at least very few times.
(Sunlight in one side, white wall on the other side & darker background)
Thanks TG. I find direct sunlight (even the evening light) to be a bit harsh and if I am shooting indoors, I always use sunlight diffused through window curtains. It gives out a nice soft light. Guys, always remember this golden rule, The bigger the apparent size of the light source, the softer the light will be. The reason I am stressing this point is that I have seen many people assuming that just by diffusing light, the light becomes softer. It won't. Especially in the case of small white coverings over flash heads, it just eats up light and it won't soften the shadows. As demonstrated by TG and Clevermax, the bigger sources are walls here which give out the nice soft light effect.

Anyways, since we are talking light, I had an opportunity to use flash through a softbox for a recent macro shoot and here's the result. It was a hand held shot and at about 1:2 magnification (cropped to make the bee fill the frame).
Attached Thumbnails
The Official non-auto Image thread-bee.jpg  

HellwratH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2010, 08:02   #9457
v&v
Senior - BHPian
 
v&v's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,537
Thanked: 1,060 Times
Default

banana leaf illuminated.
The Official non-auto Image thread-img_8212.jpg
v&v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2010, 09:34   #9458
Senior - BHPian
 
jacs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Kochi
Posts: 1,442
Thanked: 706 Times
Default

I was surfing my photo bag but couldnt find anything which qualifies to be posted here. Hence posting my first experiment on shutter speed.

The Official non-auto Image thread-dscf7017.jpg
jacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2010, 09:36   #9459
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,042
Thanked: 13,487 Times
Default

Lots of nice portraits..,

Portraits are not my forte, I rarely take them. But here is an old one with strange lighting.

Name:  95891717_QyoxGXL.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  127.6 KB

Last edited by Samurai : 23rd June 2010 at 09:39.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2010, 11:12   #9460
Senior - BHPian
 
_raVan_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,063
Thanked: 486 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
The second one is nice, i dont know i like it some how. Here is one taken with an old P&S.

Attachment 373139

JK I told you the horizon needs to be corrected, One from the sunset series

Attachment 373132

Pramod

The sunset one looks really good! Would it look better if the sea was also reddish?
_raVan_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2010, 12:00   #9461
BHPian
 
rocky080's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 303
Thanked: 35 Times
Default

Here's on from my side.
Attached Thumbnails
The Official non-auto Image thread-my-alteration.jpg  

rocky080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2010, 12:30   #9462
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,850
Thanked: 15,406 Times
Default It was a cold and starry night....

Only in Hanle, you see so many stars.






tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2010, 12:44   #9463
BHPian
 
Torqueguru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Seattle
Posts: 277
Thanked: 161 Times
Default

Awesome! Awesome! Awesome!
Regards,
TG.
Torqueguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2010, 12:48   #9464
Senior - BHPian
 
clevermax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tvm/Amsterdam
Posts: 1,565
Thanked: 359 Times
Default

@tsk: Brilliant shots..! how did you get so many stars without even a slight moving trail - what was the exposure ? more details please
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2010, 12:49   #9465
Senior - BHPian
 
jacs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Kochi
Posts: 1,442
Thanked: 706 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Only in Hanle, you see so many stars.
Wow! Its in millions. Natures street light
jacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Auto-Image thread tsk1979 Shifting gears 4060 10th August 2017 00:02
Pics: The Official Porsche 997 Carrera thread! Discuss 997 non-turbo models here. RJK Super-Cars & Imports in India 117 22nd January 2013 18:22


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:28.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks