Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2010, 11:38   #9526
BHPian
 
rocky080's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 303
Thanked: 35 Times
Default

The wannabe "bee".
Attached Thumbnails
The Official non-auto Image thread-img_0230.jpg  


Last edited by rocky080 : 28th June 2010 at 11:39.
rocky080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2010, 12:17   #9527
BHPian
 
HellwratH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 115
Thanked: 57 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I have noticed that bringing down the exposure time by increasing the ISO from 400 to 1600 actually has no major effect in the amount of noise. As you know, noise increases with exposure time, and in my camera's case I can reduce the exposure time in such low light shots to something like 1/50s and it has very less noise compared to a longer exposure in ISO200 or so.

Earlier I was reluctant to use anything above ISO400 and now I use ISO1600 a lot in these kinda shots. sometimes ISO3200 (my cam's max) also gives good shots if the exposure time is short enough. Interestingly, I don't like to use ISO800!
Thanks for that. I have been using ISO800 and 1600 (max on my camera) regularly. Now I know why there was more noise in one and less in the other. Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Thanks! Yes it was hand-held, so as this shot

Attachment 376232
I like this. Reminds me of Darsheel. Innocent look on her (?) face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
I liked the composition. Love the DOF and bokeh.

Camera Used : Sony DSC W35
Location : My School!
Software used : Picasa 3.0

Criticism welcome

Attachment 376329

Regards
Amith
Thanks Amith. Umm, I am not sure I like this shot. But that's just me :(.



“Happiness is like a butterfly: the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder…”– Thoreau

In my case, it was a friend's hand.
Attached Images
 
HellwratH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2010, 12:49   #9528
Senior - BHPian
 
shajufx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: BLR & Muscat
Posts: 1,678
Thanked: 445 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
......it will come and sit softly on your shoulder…”– Thoreau. In my case, it was a friend's hand.
I missed you on Saturday, sorry for the communication gap, I would have come to Lalbagh if that was the plan. Anyway Aravind wanted to meet up, so I went ahead with the Hebbal plan. This time it was bit boring, I could spot atleast 7 photographers around that small place mostly with super zoom lenses and huge tripods. I doubt if anyone got something.

About your last pic, how I wish if that hand was of a white, 'soft' gender , better you shoot a man's hand with a gun or something not with a butterfly.

I am yet to understand the calculation of DOF, need your help, macros are not coming to my satsifaction in the 1:1 set up. Or is it too tough to get a complete bug in the 1:1 ?
Here is an inspired attempt from your flower shot.
The Official non-auto Image thread-02.jpg
shajufx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2010, 13:05   #9529
BHPian
 
HellwratH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 115
Thanked: 57 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
I missed you on Saturday, sorry for the communication gap, I would have come to Lalbagh if that was the plan. Anyway Aravind wanted to meet up, so I went ahead with the Hebbal plan. This time it was bit boring, I could spot atleast 7 photographers around that small place mostly with super zoom lenses and huge tripods. I doubt if anyone got something.

About your last pic, how I wish if that hand was of a white, 'soft' gender , better you shoot a man's hand with a gun or something not with a butterfly.

I am yet to understand the calculation of DOF, need your help, macros are not coming to my satsifaction in the 1:1 set up. Or is it too tough to get a complete bug in the 1:1 ?
Here is an inspired attempt from your flower shot.
Attachment 376457
Sorry about that. I just woke up and headed to Lalbagh. I should have called you the previous night, my bad. Will definitely make it up to you soon. I have seen those guys with super zoom lenses, I'd like to see the outputs though, just to get a sense of distance they are able to cover with their lenses.

Ah, How I wish the hand was that of a lady. I am yet to come across one is who not scared of bugs (butterfly could be an exception though). I have shot a man's hand with a gun. I am now planning to do "Smoking kills". I have the concept in mind, will execute it this weekend . It will be on the similar lines of the previous shot and the earlier "surrender" shot.

1:1 setup is crazy to work with . I'd suggest you to try it out only when you want to show the minute details of a bug/flower. I do not print my photographs, so I reduce the magnification to about 1:1.5 or so and then take the photograph with aperture stopped down to f11 or f13. This helps in getting enough DOF and then I crop the photograph to emulate a 1:1 setup. Hope that helps. Also, the concept of focal plane will help. If you're parallel (sensor is parallel) to the subject's body, you can get away with f/5.6 as well. And finally, it's ok to give up magnification for the sake of composition and that's how it will be many a times.

About the photograph, Umm, the white is blown and that is distracting me :(. Why don't you give a different composition angle a try? Like, shooting the bud from the front and let's say f/5.6 with relatively high magnification? You'll get a nice effect. One more easy way out is using a diffused. Buy butter paper and use that to diffuse the light on the flower. It'll improve the flower to a very large extent.

Last edited by HellwratH : 28th June 2010 at 13:06.
HellwratH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2010, 13:13   #9530
Senior - BHPian
 
typeOnegative's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Vikhroli, Mumbai, India
Posts: 1,502
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
“Happiness is like a butterfly: the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder…”– Thoreau

In my case, it was a friend's hand.
Great photograph!!! How did you get that effect?
typeOnegative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2010, 13:24   #9531
Senior - BHPian
 
shajufx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: BLR & Muscat
Posts: 1,678
Thanked: 445 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
1:1 setup is crazy to work with . I'd suggest you to try it out only when you want to show the minute details of a bug/flower. I do not print my photographs, so I reduce the magnification to about 1:1.5 or so and then take the photograph with aperture stopped down to f11 or f13. ...........the white is blown and that is distracting me :(. Why don't you give a different composition angle a try?
I thought 1:1 is crazy only for me, with the tripod totally on the floor, triggering with a remote, I was failing to get a sharper, good DOF shot of a bug. But I must admit I have never tried f/6 or narrower nor the DOF button available on D90, need to do that.

Above pic was just a normal 90mm shot, not in the macro mode. But the wind was playing the spoil sport here. I came back home without a single sharper macro due to the crazy breeze throughout the morning.

Here is one of the lake before sunrise.
The Official non-auto Image thread-01.jpg

Last edited by shajufx : 28th June 2010 at 13:26.
shajufx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2010, 13:52   #9532
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Pune - Now in Munich, Germany
Posts: 759
Thanked: 105 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
“Happiness is like a butterfly: the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder…”– Thoreau

In my case, it was a friend's hand.
Nice shot, have you done the PP? Butterfly looks coloured but hand is B&W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Here is one of the lake before sunrise.
Attachment 376502
Nice one.

Name:  zoo1.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  111.4 KB
pawan_pullarwar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2010, 14:18   #9533
BHPian
 
HellwratH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 115
Thanked: 57 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative View Post
Great photograph!!! How did you get that effect?
Thanks buddy. I used selective coloring for this shot. Convert the whole image to black and white (dark sepia in my case) and then used a mask to remove the effect from butterfly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
I thought 1:1 is crazy only for me, with the tripod totally on the floor, triggering with a remote, I was failing to get a sharper, good DOF shot of a bug. But I must admit I have never tried f/6 or narrower nor the DOF button available on D90, need to do that.

Above pic was just a normal 90mm shot, not in the macro mode. But the wind was playing the spoil sport here. I came back home without a single sharper macro due to the crazy breeze throughout the morning.

Here is one of the lake before sunrise.
Attachment 376502
Oh yeah, the breeze was amazingly bad on saturday. Just kept praying that I get one good shot that will make my day. Funny, but the best shots I got that day were heavily affected by breeze and gave a nice painting like effect to my shots. And somehow I didn't use tripod this weekend even though I was carrying one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan_pullarwar View Post
Nice shot, have you done the PP? Butterfly looks coloured but hand is B&W.


Nice one.

Attachment 376542
Yep, PP has been done. Am glad that you like it .
HellwratH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2010, 16:01   #9534
Senior - BHPian
 
clevermax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tvm/Amsterdam
Posts: 1,601
Thanked: 406 Times
Default

Quote:
Beautiful portrait. That girl child looks very beautiful indeed. That crown and those other decorative stuffs looks awesome
Meanwhile, I got a chance to photograph my biology teacher and his daughter during our SSLC-Residential Camp last year.
Thanks.
Try to take such shots by zooming in a little and click from a distance.

Quote:
Thanks for that. I have been using ISO800 and 1600 (max on my camera) regularly. Now I know why there was more noise in one and less in the other. Thanks again.
You're welcome Hw. Please note that the ISO values that we discuss here are applicable to the entry level and may be lower mid range DSLRs. Higher ISO shots from camera's like what TG is having is another story.

Quote:
“Happiness is like a butterfly: the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder…”– Thoreau

In my case, it was a friend's hand.
Beautiful.. Why don't you make a monotone look instead of the selective saturation? IMO, it would look better


One more from my ISO1600 trip this time a bit of NR done in Adobe Camera RAW.

The Official non-auto Image thread-dsc09020.jpg
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2010, 18:26   #9535
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Pune - Now in Munich, Germany
Posts: 759
Thanked: 105 Times
Default

Let me strech my wing

Name:  zoo2.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  100.3 KB
pawan_pullarwar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2010, 19:21   #9536
Senior - BHPian
 
_raVan_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,058
Thanked: 486 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Thanks klub class


The horse man

Attachment 374488

Pramod
Awesome awesome shot! Loved it! The clouds look calibrated though, did you use photoshop or it came as it is?
_raVan_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2010, 21:40   #9537
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trivandrum, Pune
Posts: 59
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

My first post here.
Cam: Canon EOS 500D
Lens : EF 75 300mm USM iii
tell what you guys think of this
Attached Thumbnails
The Official non-auto Image thread-img_5654.jpg  

Nandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2010, 22:09   #9538
Distinguished - BHPian
 
jkdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thiruvananthapu
Posts: 9,661
Thanked: 1,389 Times
Default

Klub_class: amith; you are the man.
You are a great example that tool is not what's its all about

clever dude; stop posting the ISO numbers

Nandan; golden dragon eh?
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2010, 22:45   #9539
Senior - BHPian
 
clevermax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tvm/Amsterdam
Posts: 1,601
Thanked: 406 Times
Default

@Nandan: That's a rocking start with a beautiful shot!

Quote:
clever dude; stop posting the ISO numbers
Ok, ISO1600 till I change it

Last edited by clevermax : 28th June 2010 at 22:48.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2010, 23:08   #9540
Senior - BHPian
 
clevermax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tvm/Amsterdam
Posts: 1,601
Thanked: 406 Times
Default

[Exhausted the 20 min. time limit - Mods please merge this post with my previous one.]

The Official non-auto Image thread-dsc08973.jpg
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Auto-Image thread tsk1979 Shifting gears 4097 15th December 2017 11:24
Pics: The Official Porsche 997 Carrera thread! Discuss 997 non-turbo models here. RJK Super-Cars & Imports in India 117 22nd January 2013 18:22


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 20:32.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks