Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2007, 16:46   #976
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,043
Thanked: 13,496 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazikon View Post
But if i use ISO 100, wont the picture be dark. if i use ISO 100, i would have to use smaller fstops around f3.5 and longer shutter speed?
I am also confused .. why would DOF come here since moon is at infinity. i guess tsk1979 was telling about the having a smaller aperture reducing the exposure.
The exposure value is a combination of ISO/aperture/speed. Keep the camera in aperture priority. At longest setting, what is you max aperture? Use that. Set ISO 100 and see what shutter speed is recommended by your metering. I don't know how partial metering works, mine has spot metering.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2007, 16:49   #977
BHPian
 
shazikon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 391
Thanked: 19 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
shazikon,

Whoa, thats an awesome pic. , I will have to meet rjstyles and you to get some gyaan on photography as a newbie. Would have gone to Rudra sir, but I still need to do a LOT before I can go n ask for help from him.
Hi Hellwrath.. i am also a student.. learning to be a better photographer in what ever little time i get from my schedules. If you really want to understand and learn photgraphy get a DSLR its costly but well worth it, you will be amazed by what more you can do with it. I would be glad to share with you my thoughts but for more complex issues we can always ask Rudra.
shazikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2007, 16:54   #978
BHPian
 
artofzen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: VOCI-LHR
Posts: 735
Thanked: 54 Times
Default



Taken from a Nokia during a trip to vagamon

Last edited by artofzen : 16th May 2007 at 16:58.
artofzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2007, 16:55   #979
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,852
Thanked: 15,407 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
This one begs for spot metering. Spot meter the brightest part of the moon and then overexpose by 2 stops. Keep ISO at 100, and aperture at max.

How lower apertures will effect this shot tanveer? The moon obviously is at infinity, so DOF is also at infinity.
Well the moon is a sun lit subject, so if you want to correctly expose the moon you should expose like you were exposing say in early evening.
As for F8 it will effect sharpness because non L glass is not sharp at widest aperture. If you look at the kit lens too at 18mm, you will see that the sharpest spot will be F-8 or F-9. This is called sweet spot
In a 80-210 lens to get any appreciable detail from moon, you will put a 100% crop, so sharpness is very very important


Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
The exposure value is a combination of ISO/aperture/speed. Keep the camera in aperture priority. At longest setting, what is you max aperture? Use that. Set ISO 100 and see what shutter speed is recommended by your metering. I don't know how partial metering works, mine has spot metering.
Using in camera metering for moon is not a good idea. I always use manual settings. For example the shot below
Exposure Time0.005s (1/200), Aperturef/8.0, ISO100, Focal Length300mm (480mm in 35mm)

F8 is not the sweet spot of the el cheapo 75-300mm USM III. Its around F10/F11. With that Aperture I can get sharper shots
Another one(Click on image for Exif)

Last edited by tsk1979 : 16th May 2007 at 16:57.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2007, 17:03   #980
BHPian
 
HellwratH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 115
Thanked: 57 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazikon View Post
Hi Hellwrath.. i am also a student.. learning to be a better photographer in what ever little time i get from my schedules. If you really want to understand and learn photgraphy get a DSLR its costly but well worth it, you will be amazed by what more you can do with it. I would be glad to share with you my thoughts but for more complex issues we can always ask Rudra.
True shazikon, but without an eye for capturing the right thing, there's no point buying a DSLR. Ansel Adams didn't have a DSLR... ... And right now, I can't afford a DSLR.
HellwratH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2007, 17:18   #981
BHPian
 
shazikon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 391
Thanked: 19 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Keep the camera in aperture priority. At longest setting, what is you max aperture? .
The max aperture supported by my camera is f91.. but my lens (tamron 80-210) supports only upto f/5.6 and for this shot i was using the max (smallest opening of aperture) i.e f/5.6. so i would have to set the focal length atleast 3 stops less than max to get the sweet spot??
shazikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2007, 17:22   #982
BHPian
 
shazikon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 391
Thanked: 19 Times
Default

tsk1979..those shots of the moon are awesome.
thanks Samurai and tsk1979 will try your recomendations next time i experiment with the moon!
shazikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2007, 17:45   #983
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,043
Thanked: 13,496 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazikon View Post
but my lens (tamron 80-210) supports only upto f/5.6 and for this shot i was using the max (smallest opening of aperture) i.e f/5.6. so i would have to set the focal length atleast 3 stops less than max to get the sweet spot??
Max goes the other way, lower the F value, bigger the aperture. For example, F2.8 is max and F22 is min.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
As for F8 it will effect sharpness because non L glass is not sharp at widest aperture. If you look at the kit lens too at 18mm, you will see that the sharpest spot will be F-8 or F-9. This is called sweet spot
In a 80-210 lens to get any appreciable detail from moon, you will put a 100% crop, so sharpness is very very important
So it is a lens specific thing. I am not familiar with this lens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Using in camera metering for moon is not a good idea. I always use manual settings. For example the shot below
Exposure Time0.005s (1/200), Aperturef/8.0, ISO100, Focal Length300mm (480mm in 35mm)
That's because you don't have spot metering, Mr.CanonIsTheBest.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2007, 17:48   #984
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,852
Thanked: 15,407 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
That's because you don't have spot metering, Mr.CanonIsTheBest.
Well there is partial... Good photographers need only partial.Like canonians. And canon can click ISO 800 shots too so you don't always need the tripod for the moon
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2007, 18:09   #985
BHPian
 
HellwratH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 115
Thanked: 57 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
That's because you don't have spot metering, Mr.CanonIsTheBest.
Err.. My canon does have spot metering.
HellwratH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2007, 18:26   #986
Senior - BHPian
 
vivekiny2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: cincinnati, jabalpur,chennai
Posts: 1,241
Thanked: 163 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post

Regarding the post processing, Do you mean to say like the blue which was fixed by rjstyles was the original color and was misinterpreted by the camera? Please let me know on this one. Thanks.
Original = as seen by naked eye?

you shud not even care about that. with filters and other gadgetry, you can create much better shots than what you can see with naked eye.

so in short, camera can either improve or degrade the image quality depending on your skills. same goes with post processing. I think Rudra said in his posts much earlier somewhere that there is nothing like a perfect shot. you can drastically underexpose a picture and still make it win the contests.

and you are worried about matching the original.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2007, 18:37   #987
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,043
Thanked: 13,496 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Well there is partial... Good photographers need only partial.Like canonians. And canon can click ISO 800 shots too so you don't always need the tripod for the moon
My long lens has same sharpness along different apertures and FLs. The chart shows in line widths per picture height (LW/PH) which can be taken as a quantity for sharpness.



Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
Err.. My canon does have spot metering.
I was referring to dSLR, only 30D and above has Spot metering in Canon.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2007, 13:08   #988
BHPian
 
navdeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 885
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

navdeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2007, 17:41   #989
BHPian
 
shazikon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 391
Thanked: 19 Times
Default

This photo was taken during my previous trek to Kumara Parvatha. I have trekked to this peak 5 times, am so addicted to the bearuty of this place, that its almost like a pilgrimage every year. the first trek of the season has to be to KP. This shot was taken early in the morning on the way down after camping overnight on the peak. you can see layers upon layers of green covered ranges..

Last edited by Samurai : 17th May 2007 at 20:40. Reason: Too big
shazikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2007, 20:38   #990
Team-BHP Support
 
Rudra Sen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 10,327
Thanked: 3,832 Times
Default

Nice shot. In future remove that date panel. It's an eye sore.

Noise removed. Opened lower bottom area. Removed plant from left side.



Hope you do not mind my correction. Done without checking with you. Sorry.

Last edited by Samurai : 17th May 2007 at 20:41. Reason: Too big
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Auto-Image thread tsk1979 Shifting gears 4060 10th August 2017 00:02
Pics: The Official Porsche 997 Carrera thread! Discuss 997 non-turbo models here. RJK Super-Cars & Imports in India 117 22nd January 2013 18:22


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:47.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks