Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 28th August 2008, 11:34   #31
Senior - BHPian

Why blame others for showing the truth. What they missed was showing the subhuman conditions in which the poor live in other parts of the country. No water, no electricity, no access to meds, no secure meal, etc.

IMHO, if patriotism means love for your country, then the country is made up of its people, and love for country=love for people=doing something that makes their life better. Without knowing what you should do, and getting moved by that to do something, difficult to do anything.
vasudeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2008, 11:50   #32
Senior - BHPian

Default Similar documentary in S Korea too

I have seen numerous similar documentary in Arirang Channel (One of rare english channel of S.Korea). Specially they are portraying South India and its poverty. In entire documentary they were just talking about how poor Indians are, how poor and inhygenic food habits Indians have blah... blah...

Even on Discovery channel (meant for South Asia broadcast) they have some program dedicated to India and its poverty. But the difference is Discovery channle show some of the postive points out of many negatives.

Moral of the story is we cannot help out, We are progressing is one part of story and on the other part there are huge population still leaving under poverty line
anujmishra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2008, 14:51   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
What's wrong with the programme? Did they show anything that was not true? When will we stop being hypocrites and stop to pretend to be what we are not? Let's accept that we are a very impoverished nation; that's probably the first step towards achieving freedom from poverty and its related social ills.
oh ho, where did I said that they showed something wrongs?

I guess you did not read my post correctly, so no point responding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Rajiv, this looks like a documentary on how Japanese aid was used to provide clean drinking water in rural areas - not Indian poverty. For poverty, they show scenes from particular areas of Kolkata and Mumbai, not areas with greenery as backdrop. There is nothing to be embarrassed about our rural areas.

A lot of Japanese come to Bihar to visit Bodh Gaya (they have been doing that for more than 40 years now). Many Japanese agencies give aid (and ideas and labour) to be used directly for the regions around there to give practical solutions.
I saw the whole program, and just took few pictures, it was 1 hour documentary showing the poverty in India, health condition in that part, etc etc. and then at the end just they arranged some way to clean water for them.

And then a round up that how good that Japanese did by helping poor and everybody clapped for her.

Please do not misunderstand me a use term like hypocrites and all that. Please try to understand my point, about how media in other countries use the poverty in india as a showcase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
I find no mistake in this documentary.
@rkbharat. They also had documentary about the Indian schooling system and you know how much response we had for that in Japan? They showed a 3-4th grade student telling the 12th tables and these Japanese were astonished to see that.
So, what I mean is, they just show what is available. Nothing exaggerated. Its us who need to make sure that what is available is good.
Please read above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Rightly said jk. Most of us see only the haves. India is poor, has always been poor. Only the middle class has become richer now.
Glug glug.
You mean, most of us are not aware/seen that there is so much poverty in India, I don't agree.

Last edited by rkbharat : 28th August 2008 at 14:53.
rkbharat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2008, 15:16   #34
Senior - BHPian

one-third of the world's poor live in India.. Isnt that shocking enough?

One-third of world's poor in India: Survey-India-The Times of India
spadival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2008, 15:22   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
I saw the whole program, and just took few pictures, it was 1 hour documentary showing the poverty in India, health condition in that part, etc etc. and then at the end just they arranged some way to clean water for them.
rkbharat: Since you saw the show, would you by any chance know how the water purifier works. Could'nt understand why the pipe is going upwards from the plastic drum. Any idea????
Lalvaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2008, 16:19   #36
Senior - BHPian

Mr Bharat, you were sad that poverty in India was still a matter of interest to the rich. Why should it not be? You want the western world to look only at the BMWs on the streets of Delhi and not at the slums of Bombay or Kolkata. Is that it?
If I wear the world's most expensive suit and have the world's ugliest infectious wound on my face, will you look at my abcess or at the suit?
Sudipto-S-Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2008, 18:34   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Kerala has the lowerst per capita income?!! Thats surprising, even with all those NRI money & black money flowing into the state.
probably that doesn't count as income. just guessing.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote