Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 9th September 2008, 10:14   #16
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone used https://cash2india.xoom.com/ ?

Any reviews/opinions ?
mithun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2008, 12:32   #17
Senior - BHPian

Any idea how to send money OUT of India? Is physical fx currency/traveller's cheque the only solution? RBI lives in the 18th century? :(
spadival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2008, 20:12   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
Any idea how to send money OUT of India? Is physical fx currency/traveller's cheque the only solution? RBI lives in the 18th century? :(
Why ask? Does not uploading cash from your bank account into paypal account and then converting work?
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2008, 09:23   #19
BHPian

Quote:

Even I am looking for the answer to the same question.

Only concern is that my paypal account is linked to my CC. Does it work to send funds ?
lambuhere1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2009, 17:59   #20
BHPian

Quote,"If I have to pay somebody who accepts money via paypal, do I need a paypal account? Can't I just use my credit card to pay somebody who has paypal?"

How can one do this? Is it safe?
Gill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2009, 18:53   #21
Senior - BHPian

Yes, if you are trying to pay someone with a CC, you do not need a PayPal account.

As for how safe it is, in my experience, the most common point of security issues is your own computer or you. If you use a CC in a compromised computer, rogue programs could be recording your keystrokes - your CC number, expiry date and CVV. Do not, EVER, use a CC or online banking from a public internet cafe.

I've used PayPal to buy things from Singapore (Xbox, Xbox360), USA (Creative DDTS-100), umpteen times to buy albums and video games online (artist websites, Steam), several times on eBay (computer equipment) and I've never been scammed. I'm anal to the point of being paranoid on security and I follow quite a bit of safe practices. I do have a PayPal account linked to the CC though. It will help in case you have a dispute and wish to get your money refunded quicker.

Try to avoid paying to someone who is not PayPal Verified.
ImmortalZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2009, 21:22   #22
BHPian

Thanks for info immortaZ!
can you tell me how can pay?On paypal site i can't find it.
Second, How ca one check that the person is paypal verified?
Old 15th April 2009, 21:38   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gill View Post
Be very careful when buying stuff from ebay/any other site on the same lines using a paypal account.
I was looking to buy a bike from a guy in Maine, and I was quite suspicious right from the start. Superb bike, throw-away price. I wrote to ebay & asked them to check if this was a scam. Turns out it was. Same thing with paypal, some people can retrieve your info and use your funds (especially if you have a credit card/bank account associated with the account). I had an identity theft issue, and had to close my checking account, then close paypal, and now having to replace my credit cards due to fraudulent activity.

Just my two cents. be very very careful when using paypal.
Nitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2009, 23:08   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Ordinary Indian Residents ( as per Income Tax act and not NRO/NRI) can keep funds of upto 250000 USD in a foriegn bank account. There are some caveats on this as to the source and remittance method etc etc.

What you do then with the funds is no ones' business. You can blow it up if you wish. (psst, if you really want to blow them up let me know! )

You can also transfer funds under certain categories. Better look up the RBI/Customs website.

Also inform your CA of the same. He/she might jack up his/her rates at the end of the day but will keep you out of the penalty area. Heck you save, to eventually pay someone. lol.
mmmjgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2009, 23:14   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gill View Post
Usually, the seller will tell you his e-mail address. Go to PayPal's website and use the Pay option and give it this e-mail address as the recipient. If he's registered and verified, PayPal will clearly show it to you (along with his real name, among other personal details). If you are buying from eBay, it should have PayPal already listed as a payment option, in which case you can go from there.

Can you describe where you are buying this item from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
Be very careful when buying stuff from ebay/any other site on the same lines using a paypal account.
I was looking to buy a bike from a guy in Maine, and I was quite suspicious right from the start. Superb bike, throw-away price. I wrote to ebay & asked them to check if this was a scam. Turns out it was.
Yep, have to be careful with eBay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
Same thing with paypal, some people can retrieve your info and use your funds (especially if you have a credit card/bank account associated with the account). I had an identity theft issue, and had to close my checking account, then close paypal, and now having to replace my credit cards due to fraudulent activity.

Just my two cents. be very very careful when using paypal.
Not unless someone stole your PayPal username and password, they cannot. Quite a bit of PayPal based scams are prevalent these days. If you are tricked by a make-believe site (they copy the PayPal pages, but you are looking at a malicious one hosted on different servers) through fake e-mails or even fake links within eBay pages, it happens. Then there is social engineering. Do not tell anyone more than what they need to know about your personal details.

My e-mail provider doesn't allow links which are formatted deceptively (for example, it ways x.com, but points to y.com). So I'm protected on that front. A bit of diligence helps in every case.
ImmortalZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2009, 23:42   #26
Senior - BHPian

All I know about PayPal is that you cannot pay using your Indian PayPal profile in ebay US, even if they tell you that it is possible!
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2009, 23:45   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
All I know about PayPal is that you cannot pay using your Indian PayPal profile in ebay US, even if they tell you that it is possible!
It is very much possible unless you are talking about PaisaPay and not PayPal. I've done it umpteen times and it works fine. Just make sure you have a registered and confirmed address.
pranavt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2009, 23:56   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
Not unless someone stole your PayPal username and password, they cannot. Quite a bit of PayPal based scams are prevalent these days. If you are tricked by a make-believe site (they copy the PayPal pages, but you are looking at a malicious one hosted on different servers) through fake e-mails or even fake links within eBay pages, it happens. Then there is social engineering. Do not tell anyone more than what they need to know about your personal details.
Yes, I was told about certain websites that are matched to look like the original ones in every way, but they are just scam sites. Same with Bank Of America, apparently.
Anyways..I need to get my credit report soon to make sure that (&*^^*% who hacked into all my accounts didn't create accounts with God knows what kinds of merchants!
Nitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2009, 00:12   #29
BHPian

Fee details of paypal:- In here they charge 3.9% for currency conversion and 5.4% to receiver if sender sends through credit card.If i send money to someone through creditcard out of India they would be charging 10%.

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/websc...&countries=ROW

Is it right or I am getting it wrong?
Old 16th April 2009, 09:20   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
Has anyone used https://cash2india.xoom.com/ ?

Any reviews/opinions ?
Xoom is pretty good. They used to charge $8 at least per transaction for PayPal / CC transfers and lower for the Deposits through US banks. All my transactions before PayPal offered direct bank withdrawals were through Xoom and all of them reached just in 48 hours or sooner.

Even PayPal is good but it eats up nearly 1 Re per $ in the withdrawal transactions in the name of currency conversion. But you get them in 3 days sharp.
TrueDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote