Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 16th April 2009, 09:26   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
All I know about PayPal is that you cannot pay using your Indian PayPal profile in ebay US, even if they tell you that it is possible!
I have paid using my PayPal India profile on eBay USA, on online shopping sites of Creative Labs, Singapore and GameStop, Singapore. Worked perfectly.
ImmortalZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 17:16   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys I have never used eBay or Paypal earlier but just created a Paypal account. I want to buy the Xena Disc Alarm lock for my Ninja from eBay .com.

The eBay site mentions that the seller prefers Paypal as a method of payment.

What other charges will I incur if I pay using Paypal? On the Paypal site it mentions some currency conversion fees that I may get charged. Couldnt understand this though.

Is it mandatory for me to link my credit card to Paypal to pay for the product on eBay? I do not want to use my credit card but read about some Paypal balance if I dont want to link my card as well.

Most importantly the product will be bought on the ebay.com website and shipped within the USA. Do i have to change my address on the paypal account? How will the seller know where to ship the product as my paypal account has an India address?

Sorry for so many queries but need to order this in the next few days.

thanks in advance.
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2010, 22:43   #33
Senior - BHPian

All my RC stuff is paid for thru paypal. Its important to link your card to paypal. Paypal is safe as your CC details are not open to any sites. You activate the payment via your paypal account.

You can add a billing address apart from registered address and choose it while instructing seller on shipping. Also paypal has a 45 day dispute system incase you have issues with the seller.
mail4ajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2010, 13:37   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
...Its important to link your card to paypal....
One thing i like about using an Indian card online is that additional PIN you have to enter for every purchase. (VbV - Verified By Visa, in my case).

However, Paypal :

1) Didn't ask for that code when i linked it to my indian credit card

2) Doesn't ask for that code everytime i use paypal (i think, only used it with this card once so far)

So in other words, the safety of my creditcard is now only as safe as my Paypal password !!?

Am i correct?
Anyway to get it to ask for the VBV pin everytime?

I guess worst case i would have to manually enter card details everytime, but that kinda defeats the ease/purpose of paypal.

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2010, 16:19   #35
BHPian

vBV is only for Indian sites.
If you make a payment for anything on international websites, Verified for Visa is not needed.
Your CVV number and the card expiry date is the only security.
This is why if your card is physically stolen you can be in a lot of trouble!
BenjiRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2010, 17:14   #36
Team-BHP Support

Thanks BenjiRoss.

So it has to do with the site being indian and not the card?

Obviously vBV wouldn't be used if someone with an Intl. card used an indian site -- or would it?

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2010, 14:06   #37
BHPian

Angry Paypal policy change for India

There is a change in paypal withdrawal system for India .
RBI is again playing dirty games I guess.
Refer:PayPal India Notification
It is bad news, as I do major purchases on ebay from power sellers abroad. Hope they resolve this soon. Not too sure, how the "cheque withdrawal" system will work. I bet it is not as simplified and quick as the online system.
Better purchase what we need over the next 48hrs.

Last edited by Sportsmind : 28th July 2010 at 14:07.
Sportsmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2010, 14:46   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsmind View Post
There is a change in paypal withdrawal system for India .
RBI is again playing dirty games I guess.
Refer:PayPal India Notification
It is bad news, as I do major purchases on ebay from power sellers abroad. Hope they resolve this soon. Not too sure, how the "cheque withdrawal" system will work. I bet it is not as simplified and quick as the online system.
Better purchase what we need over the next 48hrs.
This shouldn't affect your purchases in anyway. The only change is for sellers who receive money through PayPal. When the sellers want to withdraw money to their bank accounts, they would now have to request a cheque.

Does anyone know from where this cheque would be mailed from? When I used to request a cheque from PayPal (before they offered bank transfer), it used to come from somewhere in Europe and used to take 3-4 weeks to reach me. Hope now, they mail the cheques from India itself.
ajayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2010, 15:19   #39
BHPian

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayr View Post
This shouldn't affect your purchases in anyway. The only change is for sellers who receive money through PayPal. When the sellers want to withdraw money to their bank accounts, they would now have to request a cheque.

Does anyone know from where this cheque would be mailed from? When I used to request a cheque from PayPal (before they offered bank transfer), it used to come from somewhere in Europe and used to take 3-4 weeks to reach me. Hope now, they mail the cheques from India itself.
If this is only to do with withdrawing and receiving funds and payments from abroad, I am saved. In anycase to be sure on this, I have emailed ebay to verify this.
Shall update once confirmed.
Cheers...
Sportsmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2010, 15:55   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayr View Post

The cheques can come from Luxembourg or Singapore. They will not be coming from India anytime soon.
pranavt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2010, 17:01   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsmind View Post
If this is only to do with withdrawing and receiving funds and payments from abroad, I am saved. In anycase to be sure on this, I have emailed ebay to verify this.
Shall update once confirmed.
Cheers...
Hi sportsmind, its only for sellers, i.e the payment that you make via paypal to the seller for purchasing his product will now only be released in the form of a cheque. you are in no way affected by this for sure.

One thing that can happen to us buyers is that, the sellers might ship the product only when he receives the cheque, or when it gets credited in his account. so shipping period can increase buy a few more days.
somu_john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2010, 04:58   #42
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I did a transaction successfully yesterday using my PayPal account by changing the parcel address in the Australian seller's web-page from my PayPal-verified Bangalore address to my present Australia address. The seller has already shipped the item by Australia Post.
J.Ravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2010, 05:12   #43
Senior - BHPian

It seems like reading is not you people's forté. The whole thing is only relevant for resident Indians who wish to withdraw money from Paypal accounts.
pranavt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2010, 04:10   #44
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I received this email from PayPal that states that electronic withdrawal service continues in India.
Attached Images

J.Ravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2011, 22:36   #45
BANNED

Default Re: Paypal:- Info needed.

Is it safe to buy stuff via paypal ? Any problem with rbi ? this week i made 7 transactions one in a row so was worried.
unknown is offline   Reply With Quote