Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 9th May 2011, 23:07   #46
BHPian

Default Re: Paypal:- Info needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown View Post
Is it safe to buy stuff via paypal ? Any problem with rbi ? this week i made 7 transactions one in a row so was worried.

Safe, definitely. I generally do my freelancing transactions through PayPal and haven't faced any problems till date. Just the new RBI laws of paying through CC even when you have a positive balance have made things a bit difficult. Now that RBI is demanding the Pan card details, they could tax you for big transactions (though I ain't sure about this).

Last edited by prateekm : 9th May 2011 at 23:08.
prateekm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2011, 16:48   #47
BANNED

Yes, recently paypal asked for pan number, so was wondering if it's safe to pay via cc for things now as compared to previously when we haven't asked to provide pan details.
unknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2011, 16:59   #48
Senior - BHPian

yes its going to be mandatory - a step further you will be asked purpose code for Inward & outward remittances just the way we have to give to Banks while doing SWIFT -
Turbanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2011, 17:19   #49
Senior - BHPian

have a look at the mail i received recently
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2.pdf (52.5 KB, 192 views)
Turbanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2011, 19:53   #50
BHPian

I had recently created a paypal account with the sole intention of paying for stuff i buy from sites like ebay.com (US).
I have linked my Indian citibank credit card to the paypal account.
To verifiy the credit card, paypal made a temporary charge of USD 1.95 and asked me to complete verification with a code that's available in my credit card statement.
I did that.
Now my paypal account balance shows USD 1.95 (they have returned it back to my paypal account as promised).

Queries -
1. Can i transfer this USD 1.95 from my paypal account to the linked credit card account using "withdraw" option?
2. Will paypal charge me for such a withdrawal?
3. Should i maintain any liquid cash balance in paypal account to pay for stuff bought online? Or is the payment done thru the linked credit card?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by WindRide : 24th June 2011 at 19:54.
WindRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2011, 20:17   #51
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Here are my answers to your queries:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
1. Can i transfer this USD 1.95 from my paypal account to the linked credit card account using "withdraw" option?
As per recent RBI directives, you are supposed to link your Indian bank account with PayPal. You can transfer USD1.95 to your linked Indian bank account only.
Quote:
Yes. Rs 50 up to Rs 6,999.99. Free for Rs 7,000 and above.
Name:  PayPal.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  54.6 KB
Quote:
3. Should i maintain any liquid cash balance in paypal account to pay for stuff bought online? Or is the payment done thru the linked credit card
No need. The full amount will be charged to your linked credit card. The balance [USD1.95] will not get adjusted, again, as per recent RBI directives. Earlier, the balance [USD1.95] used to get adjusted for any payment due and the extra amount [over and above the PayPal balance] only used to be charged to your linked credit card. Not so any more, thanks to amended RBI rules.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 24th June 2011 at 20:31.
J.Ravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2011, 22:12   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide
I had recently created a paypal account with the sole intention of paying for stuff i buy from sites like ebay.com (US).
I have linked my Indian citibank credit card to the paypal account.
To verifiy the credit card, paypal made a temporary charge of USD 1.95 and asked me to complete verification with a code that's available in my credit card statement.
I did that.
Now my paypal account balance shows USD 1.95 (they have returned it back to my paypal account as promised).

Queries -
3. Should i maintain any liquid cash balance in paypal account to pay for stuff bought online? Or is the payment done thru the linked credit card?

Thanks in advance.
1. No you cant transfer the deducted amount at the time of verification. Instead, you can use this amount for next transaction. It will be deducted from your Paypal a/c first and the balnce money will be debited to your CC.

2. Ruled out.

3. Not neccessary. You can link your CC as the alternate source of fund. So when ever you have to make a payment, it will debit your CC.
sajjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2011, 22:35   #53
BANNED

Whats the downside of providing pan no ? hmm. one is safe if he provide pan no & send money ?
unknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2012, 22:09   #54
BHPian

Hi,

I recently made an ebay purchase with free shipping. I was offered a choice of alternate shipping for extra 4usd with a tracking number which i agreed to instead of depending on china post.

As far as ebay and paypal are concerned, the transaction is complete, paid for (deducted from my card), and shipped by the buyer for the cost listed on the site.

The seller has sent an payment request for the alternate shipping arrangement but it came to my mailbox supposedly from paypal. This does not reflect in paypal when logged in.

Anyone has an opinion on the same, ie. payment via email id ? Please comment.

Thanks.
optimist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2012, 22:31   #55
vij
BHPian

Being an internet marketer, I make thousands of $ worth of transactions monthly via paypal and have had no problems.
vij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2012, 23:22   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vij View Post
Being an internet marketer, I make thousands of $ worth of transactions monthly via paypal and have had no problems.
Thanks, Found out that the payment requests were not appearing on the transactions as the email was pending verification. Simple but in hindsight.

That sounds like a cool business. What do you generally sell If i may ask and is it exported? Thanks.
optimist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2012, 23:25   #57
vij
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimist View Post
Thanks, Found out that the payment requests were not appearing on the transactions as the email was pending verification. Simple but in hindsight.

That sounds like a cool business. What do you generally sell If i may ask and is it exported? Thanks.
I pay for seo services, pay international freelancers. Also take payments from some clients for whom I do seo.
vij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2012, 10:36   #58
Senior - BHPian

Just completed some reasonably large value buying from China.
Since the seller was untrusted so far, the recommended option was to go with Paypal. At least I can get my money back if the seller does not ship anything.
Of course this comes at a price.

1. Firstly, if I use Paypal, the seller will get 4% less money since Paypal takes that amount from him.
So, the seller expected me to pay for that 4% extra.

2. Secondly the exchange rate used by Paypal was Rs 57.59/ 1 USD, whereas, the exchange rate on XE.com was Rs. 55.4/ 1 USD.
I assume that roughly I lost Rs. 2/ 1 USD in this conversion process.

Rough values:
Total transaction was for Rs. 21000, but I had to pay about Rs. 1500 more due to the two reasons above.
So, bottom line is: If seller is trusted, then it does not make sense to pay via Paypal.
S_U_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2012, 20:07   #59
BHPian

is there another way to get money from US to India for professionals ?

not interested in WU and Moneygram (monegram has already stopped payments from US nationals to indian citizens).

Thanks,
JustStarted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2012, 22:43   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustStarted View Post
is there another way to get money from US to India for professionals ?

not interested in WU and Moneygram (monegram has already stopped payments from US nationals to indian citizens).

Thanks,
Wire transfer. Has a charge of $25 though.
prateekm is offline   Reply With Quote