Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 5th September 2008, 02:46   #16
BHPian

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amien View Post
Im all for the smoking ban actually... not because of the obvious health problems but because it affects other people too who do not choose to smoke. But, even though i don't drink, i think it's none of the government's business what people drink. If you're worried about the youth then have dealers check ID proof before selling.

@ amien i would second with your thought flow there as if the smoke ban has to come into effect it has to come because of obvious health problems and yes it should be banned in places where there is a risk of passive smoking like enclosed places and A.C rooms, but they should not do it in offices which had dedicated smoking zones for smokers only which IMHO does not lead to any kind of passive smoking..

on the other side iam against smoking and hope/wish/pray people quit and lead a happy life..
just my 2 cents...
RuffRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2008, 06:54   #17
BHPian

Ban alcohal, ban dancing, ban ban ban....
and then there will be no one asking them for keeping the city open till midnight(as everyone will be 100 kms away)....prbolem solved!

I suggest, pack all these ministers and send them 500kms up in the atmosphere.

Regards,
amohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2008, 07:14   #18
BHPian

There is no such thing happening. It has come in today's TOI that the chief minister has laughed at the idea and said, just because the minister does not drink, he does not want others to drink. He has spoken to the minister and clarified that no one should make such statements. cheers:
hemanthisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2008, 07:32   #19
BHPian

When I was a kid, I used to read about a certain Muhammad Bin Tughlaq and used to believe that he was a joker, who became a ruler. little did I realise that actually Muhammad Tughluq was a medieval Indian scholar and a learned man. He knew logic, philosophy, mathematics, astronomy and physical sciences. He was also a calligraphist. He had knowledge of medicine and was skillful in dialectics.

But somehow, his name became synonymous with rulers who are mis-fits. There is nothing else I can think of about such characters.

Cheers,

Rajan
PatchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2008, 07:46   #20
Senior - BHPian

relax boys, BSY has laughed at the idea of liquor being banned it will never happen!

cheers
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2008, 07:58   #21
BHPian

I did read about this in the news papers and said to myself that why is that we always want to repeat the same set of mistakes again and again. I think these people need to see "The Untouchables" movies, which clearly depicts how such things have never worked and history is testimony for it. Look at Netherlands, they have realized that the cost of policing the drug abuse is far higher than having their people in a controlled environment.

For details, please read this - Drug policy of the Netherlands - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
muralisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2008, 13:12   #22
Senior - BHPian

Maybe they should ban people from Bangalore. No people, no drinking, no bans, no one protesting against the bans. Simple.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2008, 13:20   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
Health Minister of Karnataka plans to Ban all types of alcohol in Bangalore
. This is outrageous.

We will all die of thirst. Efficiency of our kidneys will deteriorate multifold due to lack of quality fluids. Kidney stones and related diseases will rise. (LOL).

First ban on disco's, then dancing, then music in cars, then drinking. What's blore coming to? These numbskull ministers should just ban themselves. All problems will get sorted out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Why don't we just move the minister 100kms away?
In fact move them to the moon. IIRC, Richard Branson is sending some millionaires to space. We can all contribute some of our hard earned money for this worthy cause (and just enough dough for a one way ticket LOL).

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Relax boys, BSY has laughed at the idea of liquor being banned. It will never happen! Cheers
PHEW !!! Thats a relief. I'll drink to that. Can't imagine Blore with no beer and vodka, no pubs and no rock music.
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2008, 13:49   #24
Senior - BHPian

There was time when i was oscillating between Madras and B'lore for setting base - and glad I chose Madras even though it was a lot less lucrative sounding than B'lore! What is with the Politicos and Cops there? Why are they hell-bent on making lives miserable??!
ph03n!x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2008, 14:08   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
I would say this is nothing more than a reminder to liquor companies and businesses to cough up more under-the-table dough to the dear minister.
You spotted the exact intention of such statements by politicians ! A normal indian with working brains will faint and fall if he comes to realize the amount of money that falls under the table of ministers who make such statements. As long as Bangalore is concerned, its not going to happen atleast in the next 10 years !cheers:
shajufx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2008, 14:31   #26
Team-BHP Support

Damn if this becomes reality i think ill shift to some other city
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2008, 14:35   #27
BHPian

I still wonder why dont they ban corruption and nepotism, at least punish people who have been hauled up by Lok Ayukta and CBI.
appuchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2008, 14:51   #28
BHPian

2 honest reasons from the bottom of my heart why alcohol should not be banned in bangalore
(1)For the sake of the livelihood of the workers in the distilleries in and around Bangalore
(2) Prevent this differential in consumption being exported to Kerala and a resultant increase in alcoholism there..

Yeah rite..
sanjayatarizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2008, 14:59   #29
BHPian

Talking

Quote:
relax boys, BSY has laughed at the idea of liquor being banned it will never happen!

cheers
yeah read that in the newspaper...cheers:
if given a chance would like to meet Mr. Gowda and laugh on his face..
RuffRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2008, 15:02   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

cheers
Yup, here is the article :
BSY laughs at idea of liquor ban

TIMES NEWS NETWORK

Bangalore: Chief minister B S Yeddyurappa has brushed away medical education minister Ramachandra Gowdas suggestion that the government ban all kinds of liquor. Just because Gowda does not drink, he does not want others to drink, Yeddyurappa said while asked to react to Gowdas suggestion.
I have spoken to Gowda today. I have clarified that no one should make such statements. There is no meaning in them, he said. At a function at NIMHANS, Gowda had said Karnataka, which banned arrack last year, would move towards complete prohibition step by step by banning rum, whisky and beer.
sammyboy is offline   Reply With Quote