Thank God. i paid my credit card bill without hoping that world would end
suvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2008, 13:44   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbasak View Post
Experiment done half an hour back.

We are still alive
Same thing. I am still alive to write this post. One should really read this wonderful book about crowd madness and delusions. It is available for free on the net:

Charles Mackay
Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds
especially chapter 5

Mackay, Charles, Memoirs of Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds: Library of Economics and Liberty

Last edited by vasudeva : 10th September 2008 at 13:47.
vasudeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2008, 13:49   #48
Team-BHP Support

Damn it I was really looking forward to the end of the world.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2008, 13:55   #49
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Damn it I was really looking forward to the end of the world.
Me too. In fact I watch IBN7 to take a note of revised dates for the world to come to an end. :(
moralfibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2008, 13:56   #50
Senior - BHPian

From Charles Mackay
In London during 1523 the city swarmed at that time with fortune-tellers and astrologers, who concurred in predicting that, on 1.2.1524 the waters of the Thames would swell to such a height as to overflow the whole city of London, and wash away ten thousand houses. The prophecy met implicit belief. It was reiterated with the utmost confidence month after month, until so much alarm was excited that many families packed up their goods, and removed into Kent and Essex. As the time drew nigh, the number of these emigrants increased. By the middle of January 2004, at least 20000 had quitted the doomed city, leaving nothing but the bare walls of their homes to be swept away by the impending floods. Many of the richer sort took up their abode on the heights of Highgate, Hampstead, and Blackheath; and some erected tents as far away as Waltham Abbey on the north, and Croydon on the south of the Thames.

At last 1.2.1524 arrived. The wondering crowds were astir at an early hour to watch the rising of the waters. The inundation, it was predicted, would be gradual, not sudden; so that they expected to have plenty of time to escape, as soon as they saw the bosom of old Thames heave beyond the usual mark. But the majority were too much alarmed to trust to this, and thought themselves safer ten or twenty miles off. The Thames, unmindful of the foolish crowds upon its banks, flowed on quietly as of yore. The tide ebbed at its usual hour, flowed to its usual height, and then ebbed again, just as if twenty astrologers had not pledged their words to the contrary. At last night set in, and the obstinate river would not lift its waters to sweep away even one house out of the ten thousand. Still, however, the people were afraid to go to sleep. Many hundreds remained up till dawn of the next day, lest the deluge should come upon them like a thief in the night.

On 2.2.1524, it was seriously discussed whether it would not be advisable to duck the false prophets in the river. Luckily for them, they thought of an expedient which allayed the popular fury. They asserted that, by an error (a very slight one) of a little figure, they had fixed the date of this awful inundation a whole century too early. The stars were right after all, and they, erring mortals, were wrong. The present generation of cockneys was safe, and London would be washed away, not in 1524, but in 1624.
vasudeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2008, 14:59   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
From Charles Mackay
On 2.2.1524, it was seriously discussed whether it would not be advisable to duck the false prophets in the river. Luckily for them, they thought of an expedient which allayed the popular fury. They asserted that, by an error (a very slight one) of a little figure, they had fixed the date of this awful inundation a whole century too early. The stars were right after all, and they, erring mortals, were wrong. The present generation of cockneys was safe, and London would be washed away, not in 1524, but in 1624.

Did London washed away in 1624? Do we have a new built London?
ramki067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2008, 15:22   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
apachelongbow : why cant we send em dirtbags to our neuclear bomb testing grounds? on a paid trip ofcoz, to see first hand a neuclear test
A ring side view, please.
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2008, 15:25   #53
Team-BHP Support

did you guys just feel that or am I dozing of at my workstation again.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2008, 15:36   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbasak View Post
Experiment done half an hour back.

We are still alive
Did you guys observe any network disruption at the same time.

At my end, laptops frooze for a couple of secs / mins . Am I getting paranoid in here ?
lambuhere1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2008, 15:41   #55
Senior - BHPian

This was not even the main experiment. This was just a test to see if the beams could be steered around the entire length of the tunnel.

More here.
CERN Press Release –
vikram_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2008, 15:43   #56
BHPian

Red face

Well we are all here posting but like i said earlier today
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...tml#post971509 (A Wednesday. Will the world survive it? (Doomsday))
we may not be very sure what we have unleashed till many many years and whatever has been done is irreversible - if 10 years from now we discover we created a blackhole, you can't nuke it cos thats only going to give it more food to grow and eat us faster
For all we know a mini blackhole was created and escaped the earth's weak force (gravity) and is now revolving around us like a satellite, only we can't see it
Aah the wonders of doomsday science !!
jassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2008, 16:10   #57
BHPian

Check this link
Large Hadron Collider nearly ready - The Big Picture - Boston.com
aka_iitd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2008, 16:12   #58
Senior - BHPian

Damn !! It was just a first step to make sure if it works. I had my lunch before to make sure I do not die hungry
neoonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2008, 16:19   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
did you guys just feel that or am I dozing of at my workstation again.
May be its the tiny black hole pulling ur eyelids down!!
amohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2008, 16:23   #60
BHPian

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohit View Post
May be its the tiny black hole pulling ur eyelids down!!
ya please do check if you are missing some atoms, already sucked into a micro black hole
jassi is offline   Reply With Quote