Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 10th September 2008, 23:35   #76
BANNED

No more worries?
It seems like the world is already shaking.
speedzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2008, 23:59   #77
F50
Senior - BHPian

What time pass these people are doing? Why they wanna know how the big bang took place and what does the black hole do etc etc. Take a shuttle and go for a Black Hole Yatra.

Was the whole thing necessary?
F50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2008, 00:21   #78
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Are you talking about him?
Go Lord! Now I am sure the facility will be renamed as Black Mesa soon
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2008, 01:20   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

TN to Supply Power to LHC.

From tomorrow, Central areas of Chennai will have 23 hours of power shedding each day. Suburbs will have 23.5 hours, and other parts of the state will receive current on one day each month.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2008, 04:02   #80
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Well, the world didn't end today, but there's still time! They are going to be doing more experiments at LHC.

I predict there will be a hollywood movie in next 6-8 months, about evil scientist trying to destroy the world by sabotaging the LHC and some all-american hero saving the humanity.
SuperSyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2008, 04:23   #81
BHPian

Thumbs up Rajni Saar to the resuce

agree with vivekiny2k..its bout time that India did something for the LHC,
apart from the power supply by TN, we should also send our famous "Rajni Saar" to the LHC site..so that when the "Big Bang Replica" happens (if at all) Rajni Saar will throw his cigarette in the air and lite it with the bang and then blow away the bang.."enh how is it LHC rascals??" Kanna, when Rajni smoking, LHC cooling" ha ha ha
RuffRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2008, 05:37   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F50 View Post
What time pass these people are doing? Why they wanna know how the big bang took place and what does the black hole do etc etc. Take a shuttle and go for a Black Hole Yatra.

Was the whole thing necessary?
- Sir, I wish the whole thing was as easy as making a Yatra!

The closest black hole is 1600 light years away. This was a recent discovery. Light year, though it sounds like time, is actually a measure of distance. Light travels 1,86,000 miles i.e. 3,00,000 KM per second (in space-time). So, in a year it travels about 9.41 Trillion Km. This distance is called a light year

If we travel at any speed less than light, it may take too long to reach the nearest black hole.

For e.g, speed of sound is 340 m/s (approx) - The fastest rocket ever built traveled at the speed of 6.7 Mach (speed of sound). this comes to around 2.284 Km /s - We have a huge factor of speed to catch up.

And, when an object moves, its mass increases
m = m0 / SQRT( 1 - V^2 / C^2) - Where m0, is the mass when the object is not accelerating, and v is velocity at which mass is required to be measured and c is the speed of light. At speed of light mass becomes infinity! And, anything that has non-zero mass cannot travel at the speed of light. (at least it has not, yet!)

Since it might take too long to reach a black hole, it may not be possible to make measurements by going there.

Also, even if we do reach there, no one might return. Black holes are beasts! They have such a strong gravitational field - The gravitational field is so strong that even light particles cannot escape the gravity! That's why they appear black from a distance - It has been claimed that if you go sufficiently close to a black hole, you'll see its actual color since light travels some distance before it is sucked up back by the black hole.

To illustrate how heavy a black-hole matter can be - Approximately, if you fill 2 liter bottles with black hole matter, and place that in one scale of the balance, and keep earth on the other scale, both will weigh the same!

Now, to your question of why do we need to do this experiment. The answer is quite long. But, I'd try to put it short despite risking lack of information.

At the point of Big Bang, the entire space + universe was in the size that was less than that of an atom! This poses the biggest challenge to Physics in terms of the Grand Unification Theory. Currently, there is *no* theory that can satisfactorily explain the nature of stuff when Big Bang happened. (String theory, and a few other theories are under development)

CERN's experiment, by trying to create a Higg's particle (so far not observed at all) whch would explain why matter has mass (very roughly :-( ) - This would help us understand the Universe at its very beginning. And, hence, scientists feel, they may be able to understand the very mind of God!

Vedas say Universe was created when God thought 'Eko Aham Bahusyam' - Let the One become Many, and the entire Universe sprung forth. By trying to understand Big Bang, scientists verily want to explore the Creation.

I am not sure how successful this might be. But, I just wanted to share my thoughts.

Thanks for your patience (if you've read so far) - And, I loved the 'Rajni Saar' idea
sriramv.iyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2008, 06:13   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer View Post
- Sir, I wish the whole thing was as easy as making a Yatra!

CERN's experiment, by trying to create a Higg's particle (so far not observed at all) whch would explain why matter has mass (very roughly :-( ) - This would help us understand the Universe at its very beginning. And, hence, scientists feel, they may be able to understand the very mind of God!

Vedas say Universe was created when God thought 'Eko Aham Bahusyam' - Let the One become Many, and the entire Universe sprung forth. By trying to understand Big Bang, scientists verily want to explore the Creation.
Thanks for the detailed explanation. But the primary question still remains unanswered. What are we trying to prove? Or are we trying to play God? Isn't that by itself one of the doomsday predictions? The earth as we know it will cease to exist when man tries to play God.

I can only say- " geedhad ki jab maut aati hai to woh sher ko lalkarta hai". For our non-hindi speaking friends -"When death invites a fox, the fox will try to tease the Tiger"

Cheers,

Rajan
PatchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2008, 06:43   #84
BHPian

End-of-world scare on mind, girl kills self
BIG BANG FOR SCIENCE, DOOM FEAR FOR OTHERS
TIMES NEWS NETWORK

Bhopal: Television shows making doomsday predictions regarding the Big Bang experiment in Geneva filled Chhaya with fear. She kept asking her brothers if the world would indeed come to an end on Wednesday. On Tuesday, the 16-year-old cut short her wait and popped a bunch of pills. She died the next morning.
The daughter of a farm worker in MP’s Rajgarh district, Chhaya was glued to TV shows on the Big Bang, her family said. “She was disturbed by what she saw,’’ said her father Behari Lal. “We don’t own a TV. She went to our neighbour’s home where the entire village had gathered to watch the programme predicting this was the end of the world.’’
The Class III dropout then kept asking siblings and friends what would happen if the worst occurred. After some time, her parents found her unconscious and rushed her to hospital. When her condition worsened, they shifted her to an Indore hospital where she died on Wednesday.
Shadow on sun scares Bengal
A ring on the sun threw Siliguri in a tizzy as the locals took it to be a fallout of the Geneva experiment. People scurried indoors and traffic vanished from the roads. Some claimed it was the end of the world. Director of Kolkata’s Birla Planetarium said the ring was a result of the sun’s rays being refracted through ice crystals in the atmosphere.
spawnofsatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2008, 08:53   #85
F50
Senior - BHPian

Waah! Very good explanation Sriram Iyer! Are you one of the Indian scientists involved in LHC? lol
F50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2008, 09:32   #86
Senior - BHPian

Could any one of the scientists predict end of the world? I have many things pending on my list before I die

Waise, according to some myths, "Kalyug" (The yug we are living in) will come to an end by "water". Means land will be drawn in oceans. Nobody knows if its true or has any significance, but looking at global warming and antartic ice melting, this could come to reality may be few hundred years down the line.

Last edited by neoonwheels : 11th September 2008 at 09:33.
neoonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2008, 11:58   #87
BHPian

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSyn View Post
Well, the world didn't end today, but there's still time! They are going to be doing more experiments at LHC.

I predict there will be a hollywood movie in next 6-8 months, about evil scientist trying to destroy the world by sabotaging the LHC and some all-american hero saving the humanity.
I am sure - but unfortunately the hero will stop the LHC in time and the audience won't get to see a black hole. Now thats where all the special effects are - the people opposing the LHC experiements are desperate for a blackhole, might as well give them one in a movie atleast.
I think it would be better if the plot was - scientists blinded in their lust to collide particles started the LHC by mistake and created a blackhole (insert special effects here) and then the whole movie is about the struggle and fight amongst humans to escape from an earth to a safe galaxy (space and space ship special effects) in a short amount of time as the blackhole sucks things in its wake(more special effects)

Last edited by jassi : 11th September 2008 at 11:59.
jassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2008, 12:00   #88
Team-BHP Support

You don't need a new story when there is Hyperion, right?
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2008, 12:12   #89
BHPian

Actually till now I did not know what was going on yesterday. Somebody kick me for being an ignoramus. but mr.sriramv.iyer explained it all! Thanks Mr.Iyer
yamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2008, 12:17   #90
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT SPAM the forum. One-liners that add absolutely no value to the thread are strictly prohibited on Team-BHP.

Also, you have made it a habit to type back-to-back consecutive posts. USE the EDIT button.

We advise you to visit our board rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 11th September 2008 at 13:50.
yamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction