Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 11th September 2008, 12:22   #91
BHPian

I don't remember the name of the hollywood movie, but one movie had a guy go into the black hole and come out in parallel universe same as ours..

It was fun to watch .. Abt this whole thing. Indian Media - Aaj Tak and some other media channels tries it's hand to scare every person watching the TV, they hype and repeat the same thing thousands of times .

The poor villagers <illiterate>, listen to all this and fall for it with half knowledge. Now even the educated lot is scumming to all this media hoolah.

Regarding the experiment, some one needs to do something in life, can't sit idle.

Scientists excavate buildings and try to figure out how people lived etc..etc..
So they are a curious lot, now they want to know and see how big bang occured, if it destroys earth is not a concern , they will be happy to go into the black hole... Crazy

Why can't they just say world's history this way..

People Came
They Lived
They Died

I love these because it's fascinating but sometimes it's too much.

I want to ride a superbike and fly a plane ... be it in the black hole or outside the black hole

Last edited by Zappo : 11th September 2008 at 16:51.
inder_s1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2008, 12:33   #92
BHPian

I would like to see myself as a "Bhpian" before the world ends! Since the world didnt end yesterday, I still have time to reach "50 posts"... Thank God
adi99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2008, 16:31   #93
BHPian

Some things only happen in India

BBC NEWS | South Asia | Girl suicide 'over Big Bang fear'

A girl in India has committed suicide after watching TV reports that a physics experiment could bring about the end of the world, her family says.
aerohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2008, 18:48   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
Isn't that by itself one of the doomsday predictions? The earth as we know it will cease to exist when man tries to play God.

Cheers,

Rajan
I think we (humans) achieved great things by trying things that were supposed to be blasphemous - Galileo claiming that earth is round and it goes around the sun rather than the opposite etc - (Though we should keep an eye on not destroying stuff,) it is the very nature of humans to try the seemingly impossible stuff, and finally achieving it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F50 View Post
Waah! Very good explanation Sriram Iyer! Are you one of the Indian scientists involved in LHC? lol
I am glad you liked the stuff Sir! I am a lowly software engineer strutting around in Bangalore / Chennai. Not good enough to be a scientist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamaniac View Post
Actually till now I did not know what was going on yesterday. Somebody kick me for being an ignoramus. but mr.sriramv.iyer explained it all! Thanks Mr.Iyer
I am glad you liked it!
sriramv.iyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2008, 20:30   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F50 View Post
What time pass these people are doing? Why they wanna know how the big bang took place and what does the black hole do etc etc. Take a shuttle and go for a Black Hole Yatra.

Was the whole thing necessary?
Exactly F50, I was thinking the same too. I may sound pessimistic, but, scientists should spend more time and energy in doing something good for the future, rather than proving a theory about what could have happened in the past. There are a lot of issues which they have to address for the future before its too late.
blue_pulsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2008, 21:41   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
Exactly F50, I was thinking the same too. I may sound pessimistic, but, scientists should spend more time and energy in doing something good for the future, rather than proving a theory about what could have happened in the past. There are a lot of issues which they have to address for the future before its too late.
hmmm well i agree with you but if by this experiment they find the way to travel by speed of light then think about the possibilities. Teleportation !!!!!
abhibh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2008, 19:52   #97
BHPian

Actually there's a lot more to it than just creating black holes. It also enables physicists to discover particles much smaller than what is known today (smaller than electrons, quarks etc.), which eventually might explain the formation of the universe.

It might also result in advances in the field of nuclear fission and fusion.

It also marked advances in the field of grid computing and the ability to share processing amongst thousands of workstations remotely connected to each other.

Also there's the Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider (RHIC) in New York State, USA which is similar to this and has been operational since 2000. Although the LHC has much smaller particles and hence the energies involved are several orders of magnitude bigger.
sujaylahiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2008, 02:27   #98
BHPian

Default end of the world due to LHC postponed?

Hi all,

got to know that there has been a problem in the LHC which has lead to a gas leak and the machine 0r the Maha Machine (the way some hindi news channels put across) has been stopped for 2 months..

Bad news for the guys who did not pay their credit card bills and took salary advance thinking the world would end..
RuffRyder is offline   Reply With Quote