Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2010, 12:16   #1711
Team-BHP Support
 
mobike008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 10,515
Thanked: 7,189 Times
Default

OT (Cross-Selling) : TBHP Hyderabad Members

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/team-b...ets-may10.html (Hyderabad Meet Thread: All meets from May'10)

Check above link and join up for mega monsoon drive meet to NSD on June 13th
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2010, 12:17   #1712
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 7
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

[quote=mobike008;1916962]If Non Veg is what your looking for then head to Barbeque Nation as Bblost suggested.

They serve kebabs right on your table which you can grill yourselves.

However, their prices have gone up. I think now its Rs.600/Head for Dinner and around Rs.350 for Lunch.

Place is not that big and usually crowded. But, this is a reasonable option for good non veg food at now not so reasonable price.

Another option is GIKF at Rs.750 per head.

Enjoy!

Thanks for the info.
Anyone is aware of any cheaper options then please post the info.
dr.syedfarhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2010, 12:30   #1713
Senior - BHPian
 
ranjitp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,565
Thanked: 1,685 Times
Default Mercure Hyderabad

Latest entrant to Hyd's growing list of international hotel chains is The Mercure Hyderabad Abids on Chirag Ali Road.

Hotel room Mercure Hyderabad Abids: presentation of Mercure's hotel services in HYDERABAD
ranjitp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2010, 10:54   #1714
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: "Luck-City", TG
Posts: 663
Thanked: 325 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
They serve kebabs right on your table which you can grill yourselves.

However, their prices have gone up. I think now its Rs.600/Head for Dinner and around Rs.350 for Lunch.

Place is not that big and usually crowded. But, this is a reasonable option for good non veg food at now not so reasonable price.

Another option is GIKF at Rs.750 per head.
I always keep hearing about BBQ-N as the best choice in Hyderabad and TGKF (The Great Kebab Factory, not GIKF ) as the competitor.

Thanks God, no ones talk of 36 aka Chattees as an also ran. This is the only place in Hyderabad where a customer will 100 % be fooled and ripped apart by the restaurant everytime one visits it .

Has anyone tried out Flame & Grill (of Mainland China Group) and if yes, what is the review?

One more eatery was supposed to come up above Sanjeev Kapoor's Yellow Chillies on Road No 12 way back in 2009 and their ESOP was supposed to be a hot stone placed on the table (instead of the grill) on which one could heat/grill/cook the food. What is its name and what are the reviews?
hyd_traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2010, 11:11   #1715
Senior - BHPian
 
ranjitp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,565
Thanked: 1,685 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
.

Another option is GIKF at Rs.750 per head.
IMO GIKF has miles to go before it catches up with BBQ Nation due to the following reasons:

1.Service is downright poor and so is the concept.

2.The people who wait on you keep coming back and asking if you would like any of the kebabs again with a look on their face which tells you "dont you dare ask for anything more",and if you say yes,they again ask you questions as to which one would you like(not that they keep coming and serving over n over),imo its just not worth it,you feel you are facing an interview panel answering upteen qs

3.Cost is through the roof.It isnt worth the 750+taxes

Compared to this BBQ nation-service is warm,quick,concept is excellent,no questions asked,everything keeps coming and best of all cleanliness/aircon etc are still in excellent condition & so are the ventilation for the amount of smoke thats present in the place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
I always keep hearing about BBQ-N as the best choice in Hyderabad and TGKF (The Great Kebab Factory, not GIKF ) as the competitor.

Thanks God, no ones talk of 36 aka Chattees as an also ran. This is the only place in Hyderabad where a customer will 100 % be fooled and ripped apart by the restaurant everytime one visits it .

Has anyone tried out Flame & Grill (of Mainland China Group) and if yes, what is the review?

One more eatery was supposed to come up above Sanjeev Kapoor's Yellow Chillies on Road No 12 way back in 2009 and their ESOP was supposed to be a hot stone placed on the table (instead of the grill) on which one could heat/grill/cook the food. What is its name and what are the reviews?
Flame & Grill is another place that has miles to go before it comes close to BBQ nation,same problems as GKIF,only difference being that there is a grill on the table and the rip off part is a 10% service charge and the management's argument is that Indians are poor when it comes to tipping so they make sure that the waiters get a compulsory tip by adding a 10percent svc charge(customer is defi not king here as irrespective of whether you are served badly or not,you still end up paying hte svc charge).Thats daylight robbery,we ran up a bill of 4000rs and ended up paying 400rs svc charge in addition to all the taxes blah blah.This place is 500 per head.

Chatees is downright dirty,atleast the one in Jubilee Hills is definitely dirty.not sure how the Paradise one is?
ranjitp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2010, 13:35   #1716
Team-BHP Support
 
mobike008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 10,515
Thanked: 7,189 Times
Default

Agree with you Ranjit on that one. Been to GIKF only once and it was a disaster experience and i dont like paying 750 bucks per head for a meal ( irrespective of the ambience or food quality).

Though been to their franchise in Delhi many times and was a fan since then. But, the Hyd franchise is loot-maar.

I agree they make you beg for kebabs

Unlike Ebony where they make sure you dont go home before your stuffed to your necks with their kebabs.

BBQ Nation is best bet for kebabs but, they increased their price. Shame on them...LOL

Another option is to check out Moksh who are having a Rs.399++ BBQ Dinner Buffet. Anybody checked that out?

Gufaa is having a exotic dishes ( Peshwari Kebabs, Sikandari Raan, Choose Kebabs etc) festival. Do check them out as they always serve pretty decent NI stuff.

P.S : Please expect less updates from my end as i am leading a healthy lifestyle (almost monkish...LOL) since last one week and have drastically cut down several things including my extensive eating out.

I can almost feel my clogged arteries breathing a new life and thanking by gifting me with an overall better feeling
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2010, 13:49   #1717
Senior - BHPian
 
ranjitp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,565
Thanked: 1,685 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Though been to their franchise in Delhi many times and was a fan since then. But, the Hyd franchise is loot-maar.

BBQ Nation is best bet for kebabs but, they increased their price. Shame on them...LOL

Another option is to check out Moksh who are having a Rs.399++ BBQ Dinner Buffet. Anybody checked that out?
Yes they are banking on their relation with Radisson Delhi,they think they have the right to charge through the roof,but the problem is its a different story in Delhi and its a totally different story in Hyd.

The increase in prices at BN is for the festival that they are running now(atleast thats what I was told when I'd called them up last week)

Moksh is another place that has to get their service in the right place.Their big daddy-Utsav in Secunderabad is another loot maar place,I fail to understand why people sit on chairs outside waiting for a place inside Utsav(be it rains or sun or whatever),I have been seein this phenomenon from the time I moved to Hyd 4yrs back,food is just average in Utsav and exorbitantly priced.
ranjitp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2010, 14:24   #1718
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore/Gulbarga
Posts: 161
Thanked: 29 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
P.S : Please expect less updates from my end as i am leading a healthy lifestyle (almost monkish...LOL) since last one week and have drastically cut down several things including my extensive eating out.

I can almost feel my clogged arteries breathing a new life and thanking by gifting me with an overall better feeling
I want to see how far you can hold on to your resolve! I myself have tried this many times without much success and it's evident from my weight but, I wish you all the best man!
whitesquall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2010, 14:55   #1719
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 7
Thanked: 0 Times
Default A short review

When it comes to chinese food, I have been to Alex's kitchen himayatnagar, Blue Diamond Basheerbagh, Nanking at secunderabad and bowl o china. Bowl o china, I have been to 3 branches malakpet, himayatnagar and secunderabad. My favourite is one at secunderabad, its good to dine in, the ones at malakpet and himayatnagar are small and congested.
Last time i was at bowl o china, I ordered
Bhutan chicken
lemon coriander soup 2/4
salt and pepper chicken
chicken fried rice
chicken steam rice
veg pan fried noodles
1 litre coke
Taste was good, and the quantity was enough for 4 adult "hungry" males. Total bill was around Rs 950.
One thing i noticed was same dishes at different branches do not taste the same. Though not neccesarily good or bad but definitely they are different. So when it comes to "affordable" chinese food, bowl of china is top of my list followed by alex's kitchen, blue diamond and nanking. I say affordable b'cos i dont wanna include mainland china, which comes in altogether a different price range.
dr.syedfarhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2010, 18:07   #1720
Team-BHP Support
 
mobike008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 10,515
Thanked: 7,189 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesquall View Post
I want to see how far you can hold on to your resolve! I myself have tried this many times without much success and it's evident from my weight but, I wish you all the best man!
Trust me. Its tough and i do not want to do it. But, i am forced to do it

I quit smoking, No non-veg since one week and no beverages too since then.

I feel like i am living in Himayalas...LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.syedfarhan View Post
When it comes to chinese food, I have been to Alex's kitchen himayatnagar, Blue Diamond Basheerbagh, Nanking at secunderabad and bowl o china. Bowl o china, I have been to 3 branches malakpet, himayatnagar and secunderabad. My favourite is one at secunderabad, its good to dine in, the ones at malakpet and himayatnagar are small and congested.
Last time i was at bowl o china, I ordered
Bhutan chicken
lemon coriander soup 2/4
salt and pepper chicken
chicken fried rice
chicken steam rice
veg pan fried noodles
1 litre coke
Taste was good, and the quantity was enough for 4 adult "hungry" males. Total bill was around Rs 950.
One thing i noticed was same dishes at different branches do not taste the same. Though not neccesarily good or bad but definitely they are different. So when it comes to "affordable" chinese food, bowl of china is top of my list followed by alex's kitchen, blue diamond and nanking. I say affordable b'cos i dont wanna include mainland china, which comes in altogether a different price range.
I agree with you. Bowl O' China is another inconsistent chinese joint.

I visited them several times but, only their Kharkhana ( 1st that they opened), Minister Road and Himayathnagar.

I like the Kharkhana the best as they seemed reasonably consistent. Minister road is great sometimes and sometimes they are down the pits.

Himyathagar went once, it was decent.

Overall, its cheap chinese option and such places can never satisfy you if your looking for some good quality.

btw, IMHO, Alex Kitchen is downright horrible. I never never go there even if they serve me a free meal.

Nanking is also really bad. They are surviving on their popular dish. Chicken Drumsticks.

Otherwise, Alex and Nanking rice quality is worst than bandi quality. Thick rice grains for your fried rice...eeeeeekkk

Alternate similarly reasonable options are CHINESE PAVILION/SHANGAI CHEF/WANTONS

Last edited by mobike008 : 3rd June 2010 at 18:09.
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2010, 18:26   #1721
Senior - BHPian
 
ranjitp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,565
Thanked: 1,685 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Trust me. Its tough and i do not want to do it. But, i am forced to do it

I quit smoking, No non-veg since one week and no beverages too since then.

I feel like i am living in Himayalas...LOL



I agree with you. Bowl O' China is another inconsistent chinese joint.

I visited them several times but, only their Kharkhana ( 1st that they opened), Minister Road and Himayathnagar.

I like the Kharkhana the best as they seemed reasonably consistent. Minister road is great sometimes and sometimes they are down the pits.

Himyathagar went once, it was decent.

Overall, its cheap chinese option and such places can never satisfy you if your looking for some good quality.

btw, IMHO, Alex Kitchen is downright horrible. I never never go there even if they serve me a free meal.

Nanking is also really bad. They are surviving on their popular dish. Chicken Drumsticks.

Otherwise, Alex and Nanking rice quality is worst than bandi quality. Thick rice grains for your fried rice...eeeeeekkk

Alternate similarly reasonable options are CHINESE PAVILION/SHANGAI CHEF/WANTONS
I finally see somebody who says Nanking is bad because that what it is-Downright bad and the service is the pits.They serve you thinking they are obliging you.The meat is never cooked and always has a typical Nankingish smell(stench?)

Chinese Pavilion IMHO wins hands down for excellent chinese at affordable rates in Hyd and the service is brilliant followed by Shanghai Chef.

Alex Kitchen desperately needs some cleanup,wonder what are the health inspectors doing?
ranjitp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2010, 21:45   #1722
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 7
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
I finally see somebody who says Nanking is bad because that what it is-Downright bad and the service is the pits.They serve you thinking they are obliging you.The meat is never cooked and always has a typical Nankingish smell(stench?)

Chinese Pavilion IMHO wins hands down for excellent chinese at affordable rates in Hyd and the service is brilliant followed by Shanghai Chef.

Alex Kitchen desperately needs some cleanup,wonder what are the health inspectors doing?
Yeah nanking and alex's are the places i would probably never go, i am fine with bowl o china. Need to check out chinese pavilion and shanghai chef.
Guys i need some more recommendations for dinner/lunch buffets. Places already on my list are bbq nation and ohri's 70mm at necklace road
dr.syedfarhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2010, 07:39   #1723
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: "Luck-City", TG
Posts: 663
Thanked: 325 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
CHINESE PAVILION/SHANGAI CHEF/WANTONS
I know the location of Chinese Pavilion on Road No. 1 near Nagarjuna Circle.

Can someone guide me to the locations of Shanghai Chef and Wantons?
hyd_traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2010, 09:16   #1724
Senior - BHPian
 
MileCruncher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,985
Thanked: 351 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
I know the location of Chinese Pavilion on Road No. 1 near Nagarjuna Circle.

Can someone guide me to the locations of Shanghai Chef and Wantons?
Shanghai Chef is in Madhapur near Image Hospital
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2010, 09:32   #1725
BHPian
 
Rajesh Rawal's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: LKO MUM HYD
Posts: 363
Thanked: 131 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
I know the location of Chinese Pavilion on Road No. 1 near Nagarjuna Circle.

Can someone guide me to the locations of Shanghai Chef and Wantons?
shanghai chef: above big c mobile shop opposite mithra agency -madhapur

wantons: as soon as you cross the gachibowli junction (if coming from tolichowki ) it will come on your left.

taste+ ambience wise wantons is better ,shanghai chef is good in terms of pricing
Rajesh Rawal is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore Hatari Shifting gears 3593 1st July 2017 23:52
A Guide: Eating out in Mumbai khanak Shifting gears 1130 9th January 2017 10:20
A Guide: Eating out in Pune abhijitaparadh Shifting gears 557 6th January 2017 02:10
A Guide: Eating out in Delhi/NCR tsk1979 Shifting gears 574 27th October 2016 10:14
A Guide: Eating out in Kolkata (Calcutta) planet_rocker Shifting gears 88 31st October 2015 12:50


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 03:45.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks