Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2011, 17:16   #3496
Senior - BHPian
 
ranjitp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,568
Thanked: 1,686 Times
Default re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I'm not sure if you are referring to south Indian veg food or North Indian food.

If it is the former, then I can give you a few numbers from my excel sheet---but that was 4 years ago. I hope they exist even today.

T Subramanyam Caterer 92471 42390 92471 92390
T Syam sundar Rao Caterer 98490 27682
Sharma Caterer 55884783
Thanks so very much,called them up but nothing works to budget and I realised a harsh reality in Hyd!

1. Not a single caterer is ready to take orders less than 100 people
2.Minimum for a crowd of 100 people is approximately INR 350 upwards
3.The alternative that I found was that around the Sindhi Colony areas,there are a lot of "maharajs" (the people who come to cook at your place).They charge around INR 600-700 per day per person,they come,cook,clean and leave.This is the option that has been exercised as of now!So small parties kiss goodbyes to caterers,they believe in only big and huge weddings now.
ranjitp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2011, 18:06   #3497
BHPian
 
traveloholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: TrafficJamaBad earlier known as Hyd
Posts: 750
Thanked: 227 Times
Default re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

Ranjit, we usually get the food cooked from our Maharaj's/Khansama's as and when needed. The whole concept of Catering is to avoid the unneccessary hassle of procuring the stuff, organizing everything and etc. I would say, getting a Maharaj/Khansama to cook is far better option as compared to Catering. If the event is a huge one like a Wedding, then Catering is a good option.

The Catering guys show a huge list of 24 items or 30 items, wherein, they also count the Mukhwas (Mouth Freshner/Saunf) as one of the items. Salad, Papads and etc are also counted. It's better to serve 4-5 mouth watering dishes, rather than the huge number of items, which do not serve the purpose.

I had my Khansama cook the food for my Wedding Reception as I never wanted to give it out for Catering. My wedding reception was a gathering of around 300 people. I saved a lot of bucks due to this.

OT: In order to get the Non-Veggies Foodies here salvating, here's what was on menu during my wedding reception.
1. Mutton Marag
2. Sweet Corn Soup
3. Chicken Spring Rolls
4. Broast Chicken
5. Chicken 65
6. Chicken Wings
7. Mutton Biryani
8. Veg Spring Rolls
9. Veg Manchurian
10. Palak Paneer
11. Zeera Rice
12. Plain Rice
13. Dal Fry
14. Sunshine Pudding (A desert similar to Mixed Fruit Salad but with a Sponge Cake Base and a lot more in it)
15. Double Ka Meetha
16. Ice Cream (ordered this directly from Scoops)

As you guys can see, most of the raw material is the same for most of the dishes. If I would have opted for Catering, then each would have been counted as a seperate item. But in this, I had the same raw material used for various dishes.

Mutton - Mutton Marag & Mutton Biryani
Chicken - Chicken Spring Rolls, Broast Chicken, Chicken 65, Chicken Wings
Veg Spring Rolls & Chicken Spring Rolls used the same material for making them, but the items increased with this.

I think that it was a good move to get it cooked rather than being catered. If I would have opted for Catering, then this would have costed me BOMB for sure, alas it worked out very cheap when I got it cooked.

I got one of my known persons to send across 20 Serving Guys (3 Supervisors & 17 Serving Guys), who were students at a Hotel Management Institute. I paid 150 per head to them. That's all.

Last edited by traveloholic : 28th July 2011 at 18:29.
traveloholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2011, 18:54   #3498
BHPian
 
vamsi.kona's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 130
Thanked: 105 Times
Default re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Thanks so very much,called them up but nothing works to budget and I realised a harsh reality in Hyd!

1. Not a single caterer is ready to take orders less than 100 people
2.Minimum for a crowd of 100 people is approximately INR 350 upwards
3.The alternative that I found was that around the Sindhi Colony areas,there are a lot of "maharajs" (the people who come to cook at your place).They charge around INR 600-700 per day per person,they come,cook,clean and leave.This is the option that has been exercised as of now!So small parties kiss goodbyes to caterers,they believe in only big and huge weddings now.
Hi Ranjit, you may try this person in future as it seems you have settled the matter for now. They do catering as well as send cook(Maharaja) as required (Only Veg).

His name is - Chalapati- 9849010374 - (Tell him that you are a friend of Judge Venkateswara rao's (my father) son.)

We know them for the last 25 years and they take care of the food for all the functions in our house small or big. I cannot guarantee you that they will cater to 50 or 60 (Though they do it for us) people but they may send cook also.
vamsi.kona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2011, 20:59   #3499
Senior - BHPian
 
ranjitp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,568
Thanked: 1,686 Times
Default re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveloholic View Post
Ranjit, we usually get the food cooked from our Maharaj's/Khansama's as and when needed. The whole concept of Catering is to avoid the unneccessary hassle of procuring the stuff, organizing everything and etc. I would say, getting a Maharaj/Khansama to cook is far better option as compared to Catering. If the event is a huge one like a Wedding, then Catering is a good option.

The Catering guys show a huge list of 24 items or 30 items, wherein, they also count the Mukhwas (Mouth Freshner/Saunf) as one of the items. Salad, Papads and etc are also counted. It's better to serve 4-5 mouth watering dishes, rather than the huge number of items, which do not serve the purpose.

I had my Khansama cook the food for my Wedding Reception as I never wanted to give it out for Catering. My wedding reception was a gathering of around 300 people. I saved a lot of bucks due to this.

OT: In order to get the Non-Veggies Foodies here salvating, here's what was on menu during my wedding reception.
1. Mutton Marag
2. Sweet Corn Soup
3. Chicken Spring Rolls
4. Broast Chicken
5. Chicken 65
6. Chicken Wings
7. Mutton Biryani
8. Veg Spring Rolls
9. Veg Manchurian
10. Palak Paneer
11. Zeera Rice
12. Plain Rice
13. Dal Fry
14. Sunshine Pudding (A desert similar to Mixed Fruit Salad but with a Sponge Cake Base and a lot more in it)
15. Double Ka Meetha
16. Ice Cream (ordered this directly from Scoops)

As you guys can see, most of the raw material is the same for most of the dishes. If I would have opted for Catering, then each would have been counted as a seperate item. But in this, I had the same raw material used for various dishes.

Mutton - Mutton Marag & Mutton Biryani
Chicken - Chicken Spring Rolls, Broast Chicken, Chicken 65, Chicken Wings
Veg Spring Rolls & Chicken Spring Rolls used the same material for making them, but the items increased with this.

I think that it was a good move to get it cooked rather than being catered. If I would have opted for Catering, then this would have costed me BOMB for sure, alas it worked out very cheap when I got it cooked.

I got one of my known persons to send across 20 Serving Guys (3 Supervisors & 17 Serving Guys), who were students at a Hotel Management Institute. I paid 150 per head to them. That's all.
The menu did seem enticing and yummy.It does sound slurp slurp.!

Yes I totally agree on the khansama practice,the only reason I guess why people go to a caterer is for the simple matter of cleaning up after the cooking.Especially when the party is in a flat/house which consists of just two people,the clean up act does really get to you,else any day a khansama should be the preferred option.Ofcourse not to mention the economical aspect as well of the maharaj.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamsi.kona View Post
Hi Ranjit, you may try this person in future as it seems you have settled the matter for now. They do catering as well as send cook(Maharaja) as required (Only Veg).

His name is - Chalapati- 9849010374 - (Tell him that you are a friend of Judge Venkateswara rao's (my father) son.)

We know them for the last 25 years and they take care of the food for all the functions in our house small or big. I cannot guarantee you that they will cater to 50 or 60 (Though they do it for us) people but they may send cook also.
Thanks so very much Vamsi.I have noted the details down,it would definitely come in handy in the future as well.Thanks once again.
ranjitp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2011, 22:09   #3500
Senior - BHPian
 
vnabhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: DC -> DC
Posts: 5,205
Thanked: 1,195 Times
Default re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRules View Post
Kritunga has 4 outlets, AFAIK. One is in the lane beside Model House, just next to Anjappar (it is a small joint), one is in the lane next to Civil supplies bhavan, in Hotel Hari Priya, just after Mohsin Motor Needs petrol pump on Punjagutta - Khairatabad lane, one in Nampally and 4th in Madhapur.
You need to add the 5th outlet ---it is the one I mentioned of. I just checked and Kritunga does have an outlet in that narrow lane off Raj Bhavan road, parallel to Katriya lane.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2011, 23:42   #3501
BHPian
 
NoRules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 226
Thanked: 57 Times
Default re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
You need to add the 5th outlet ---it is the one I mentioned of. I just checked and Kritunga does have an outlet in that narrow lane off Raj Bhavan road, parallel to Katriya lane.
I stand corrected. Been a long time I went on that road. This means they have 3 outlets in 1 km radius and are doing well. Good food @ reasonable cost seems to work.
NoRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2011, 23:47   #3502
BHPian
 
NoRules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 226
Thanked: 57 Times
Default re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
Where in Bowenpally.?

Have heard of this delicacy many a times.
You can call this guy: Durga on 9390696900. He door delivers too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Totally offtopic,but any reccomendations for an outdoor caterer who would do a small party of approx 50-60 people out of which 40 are kids!Vegetarian only.Budget arnd 150 per head ( not sure if this is a realistic rate!)its for a close friend and they are desperately looking out for a caterer for tomorrow.
Call Balu / Siva of Siva Caterers @ 9849030257 or 9989688881. Just tell them you are friends of Himayath Nagar Raju anna or Banjara Hills / Punjagutta Ravikanth anna. They cater to even 15-20 people and they serve awesome food, veg or non-veg.

Need any further help PM me.
NoRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2011, 15:58   #3503
Senior - BHPian
 
spadix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 1,018
Thanked: 185 Times
Default re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Thanks so very much,called them up but nothing works to budget and I realised a harsh reality in Hyd!
Ranjit, did you try the caterers whose names I'd SMSed you? Sneha in particular handled a couple of functions for us where the head count was *definitely* south of 100.

Of course we know a lady Maharaja (Maharani?) as well - Balamma - who's a regular whenever we have religious-style pujas/gatherings at home. We handle the procurement and equipment and she handles the cooking and cleaning aspects. Let me know if you might need her contact.

Regards,
spadix
spadix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2011, 16:14   #3504
Team-BHP Support
 
mobike008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 10,519
Thanked: 7,196 Times
Default re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

Couple of days ago, for the first time ordered food from Baba Chula and it was home delivered.

DE. Mutton Tikka Rolls (Rs.100/each)

As usual this was outstanding. Tikkas were soft and melted in mouth and roll was accurately spiced

I am surprised they charged only Rs.100 for each whereas, I thought it was priced 115.

Chicken Banjara Kebab ( Rs.150)

This was the highlight. It's very spicy but, the marination was perfect and masalas practically seeped into the chicken. One of the best kebabs I had in a long time.

Delivery Charges : Rs.50 ( Isnt that a bit more)...I am not cribbing. Now i can order them sitting in comfortable confines of home
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2011, 16:33   #3505
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: "Luck-City", TG
Posts: 666
Thanked: 327 Times
Default re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
DE. Mutton Tikka Rolls (Rs.100/each
Baba Chulha Prices :
Mutton Roll : without egg 60, with egg 70, with double egg 75
Mutton Tikka Kebab Roll : without egg 90, with egg 100, with double egg 105
Mutton Kati Kebab Roll : without egg 90, with egg 100, with double egg 105

I had chicken biryani double piece from Zurna today for lunch. Priced 208. Good enough for 2 people though 3 of us shared. Similiar to the biryani one gets from Paradise or Hyderabad House. Lot of white rice and not long grained rice. The quantity of chicken was good (double piece) and it was well cooked. Just not juicy enough to qualify as biryani. Bahar biryani is anyday better. Hope Bahar opens at Begumpet early.

Sarvi starts the Haleem season today.
hyd_traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2011, 16:34   #3506
Senior - BHPian
 
ranjitp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,568
Thanked: 1,686 Times
Default re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Couple of days ago, for the first time ordered food from Baba Chula and it was home delivered.
They order to your place in himayathnagar? Then they should be delivering to Sainikpuri as well, right?its about the same distance
ranjitp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2011, 16:36   #3507
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: BANG-A-LURE.
Posts: 1,068
Thanked: 3,137 Times
Default re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I am surprised they charged only Rs.100 for each whereas, I thought it was priced 115.

Delivery Charges : Rs.50 ( Isnt that a bit more)...I am not cribbing. Now i can order them sitting in comfortable confines of home
Rs.100 must be for single egg, for double they charge 115.
SILVERWOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2011, 09:08   #3508
BHPian
 
NoRules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 226
Thanked: 57 Times
Default re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
All this telangana food discussion is reminding me of the finger lickin', mouth watering, dangerously delicious, mind bogglingly delectable and totally tantalizing food of "Hotel City Grand" in Warangal.
hey Mobike008,

I travel to Warangal often and also have people going there regularly who can bring take-away for me. Which dishes do you recommend at City Grand?
NoRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2011, 09:34   #3509
Team-BHP Support
 
mobike008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 10,519
Thanked: 7,196 Times
Default re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRules View Post
hey Mobike008,

I travel to Warangal often and also have people going there regularly who can bring take-away for me. Which dishes do you recommend at City Grand?
Each and every dish is outstanding and we had a couple of TBHP drive meets to Warangal just to eat lunch there.

I also visit Warangal once in a while to meet a close friend who lives there.

Their signature dish is Kakatiya Mutton (Semi Dry/Dry) and Gongura Mutton (Gravy)

Kakatiya Mutton is way way better than the Mutton Fry from Abhiruchi, Park Lane which is extremely popular with their patrons as well and I like it too but, the quantity is appallingly low

Gongura Mutton is the best that I ever had. I dont think we get a better GM in hyderabad atleast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
They order to your place in himayathnagar? Then they should be delivering to Sainikpuri as well, right?its about the same distance
Yeah! Even I was surprised. First they said, delivery boy not around and asked to call back in 30. We called back in 20 and they said he came back, will be delivered in 30 minutes. And, he just landed at our doorstep. No call even for directions. Pretty good.

BC to my home is roughly 5-6kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
Rs.100 must be for single egg, for double they charge 115.
Nope. It was double egg and I remember paying Rs.100 for the roll. Here is a pic with mention as double egg ( D.E)
Attached Images
 
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2011, 15:27   #3510
BHPian
 
NoRules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 226
Thanked: 57 Times
Default re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Each and every dish is outstanding and we had a couple of TBHP drive meets to Warangal just to eat lunch there.

I also visit Warangal once in a while to meet a close friend who lives there.

Their signature dish is Kakatiya Mutton (Semi Dry/Dry) and Gongura Mutton (Gravy)

Kakatiya Mutton is way way better than the Mutton Fry from Abhiruchi, Park Lane which is extremely popular with their patrons as well and I like it too but, the quantity is appallingly low

Gongura Mutton is the best that I ever had. I dont think we get a better GM in hyderabad atleast.

Will definitely eat there next time I am at Warangal or get take away when someone visits the town.

I have actually stayed there last year for a night and had dinner at their restaurant but was pre-occupied with some important work and do not remember what I ate.
NoRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore Hatari Shifting gears 3606 22nd August 2017 09:03
A Guide: Eating out in Mumbai khanak Shifting gears 1130 9th January 2017 10:20
A Guide: Eating out in Pune abhijitaparadh Shifting gears 557 6th January 2017 02:10
A Guide: Eating out in Delhi/NCR tsk1979 Shifting gears 574 27th October 2016 10:14
A Guide: Eating out in Kolkata (Calcutta) planet_rocker Shifting gears 88 31st October 2015 12:50


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 13:30.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks