Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2011, 18:17   #3526
Senior - BHPian
 
MileCruncher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,985
Thanked: 351 Times
Default re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Erstwhile "Hotel Niagara" in Hyderguda which had shut down has opened after renovation yesterday under a new name

Beccun Bagara Restuarant. They even started the Haleem from yesterday

Enjoy !
You mean Deccan Bagara Restaurant.

BTW isn't Bagara a 36 Chattees brand?
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2011, 18:26   #3527
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: "Luck-City", TG
Posts: 666
Thanked: 327 Times
Default re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Sarvi Haleem : This was the best haleem that I had till now. Slightly spicy, thick and well grounded/minced meat with lots of ghee and dry fruits.
My 1st Haleem of the season was today and from Sarvi as well.

I found it very bland.

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-286254_10150322814656251_619131250_9897633_7665359_o.jpg

By the way, the regular Haleem at Sarvi is 80 per plate while the special one is 100.

I was advised by the cashier not to try the special one unless I am a lover of bland Haleem loaded with fresh cream. Yuck!!!
hyd_traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2011, 09:47   #3528
Team-BHP Support
 
bblost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 9,553
Thanked: 6,310 Times
Default re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
You can be pretty sure I will like the place. Thanks!

They make the most awesome "paneer" I have ever had in my life. Much better than Delhi.

They also have some lovely chat masala they sell along with the paneer for an extra amount. It comes in a very nice salt type shaker.

Just slice the paneer, sprinkle a little masala and you are all set to enjoy the snack. No cooking required, no milky smell, just great taste.

Above opinion based on the paneer eaten at and packed for home from their Lokhandwala outlet during my last visit to Mumbai.
Bought Paneer and the masala powder yesterday. Excellent. One of the best I have ever had.

I also had my first haleem of the season from Sarvi.
For iftaar it was hot and tasted quite ok. But since I had bought a family pack, we had some left over.
I decided to have the same for Saheri.

Heated it in the microwave. Then realized the amount of ghee sitting in it. I did not like it. Did not taste that great. Sarvi gets a thumbs down from me for this year.

Last edited by bblost : 3rd August 2011 at 10:00.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2011, 11:29   #3529
Senior - BHPian
 
ranjitp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,568
Thanked: 1,686 Times
Default re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

Had the Pista House Haleem yesterday,and somehow did not like it the way we used to like it the previous years.Hardly any fried onions or mint leaves to go with it.Disappointing.Priced at a heavenly INR 95/- .Looks like this year none of the usual suspects are tasting great.A case of overkill?
ranjitp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2011, 11:52   #3530
Team-BHP Support
 
mobike008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 10,520
Thanked: 7,197 Times
Default re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
You mean Deccan Bagara Restaurant.
BTW isn't Bagara a 36 Chattees brand?
I wrote the spelling of the restuarant correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
My 1st Haleem of the season was today and from Sarvi as well.I found it very bland.
Strange. That night, there were 6 packs of Haleem from Sarvi and it was heavenly and also spicy. Not sure how taste can change from day to day

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Heated it in the microwave. Then realized the amount of ghee sitting in it. I did not like it. Did not taste that great. Sarvi gets a thumbs down from me for this year.
I experienced the same with Sarvi Haleem. I took back home one pack and had it next day after heating it up. It was like a damn gum paste with ghee separated.

Btw, I throw the ghee/oil entirely before having it. For whatever good that it does

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Had the Pista House Haleem yesterday,and somehow did not like it the way we used to like it the previous years.Hardly any fried onions or mint leaves to go with it.Disappointing.Priced at a heavenly INR 95/- .Looks like this year none of the usual suspects are tasting great.A case of overkill?
Rs.95 for a plate of 100gms of Haleem is ridiculous. Prices each year is increasing astronomically and quantity is taking the opposite route.

I agree, some of the lesser known suspects make decent haleem. Like Bahar is for Rs.60

"Tasted" Haleem from a place called Kebab Inn in Himayathnagar. It was for Rs. 65. Extremely smooth, spicy and quite good. Except the quantity was lesser than Bahar
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2011, 11:59   #3531
Senior - BHPian
 
ranjitp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,568
Thanked: 1,686 Times
Default re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

Rs.95 for a plate of 100gms of Haleem is ridiculous. Prices each year is increasing astronomically and quantity is taking the opposite route.

I agree, some of the lesser known suspects make decent haleem. Like Bahar is for Rs.60
IMHO,the best haleem for me is the one at Pickles in Baseraa,Secunderabad.The Haleem that they serve alongwith their dinner & lunch buffet during Ramadan is heavenly and amazing.I chanced upon it accidentally and ever after that,make it a point to go there atleast once during the holy month.Taste is mind boggling and we call in advance to check if they have haleem on the menu for that particular day.Maybe it tastes good because it is not factory produced like the other haleem places.
ranjitp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2011, 12:08   #3532
Team-BHP Support
 
mobike008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 10,520
Thanked: 7,197 Times
Default re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
IMHO,the best haleem for me is the one at Pickles in Baseraa,Secunderabad.The Haleem that they serve alongwith their dinner & lunch buffet during Ramadan is heavenly and amazing.I chanced upon it accidentally and ever after that,make it a point to go there atleast once during the holy month.Taste is mind boggling and we call in advance to check if they have haleem on the menu for that particular day.Maybe it tastes good because it is not factory produced like the other haleem places.
In that case, my all time favorite Haleem is from Green Park.

It's available 365 days a year and is way way better than small outlets that "spring up" during this festival. Most importantly, there is a bowl of fried onions that you can use to your heart's content. Unlike these small outlets who sprinkle that stuff as if it's "saffron"
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2011, 14:48   #3533
BHPian
 
NoRules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 226
Thanked: 57 Times
Default re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
In that case, my all time favorite Haleem is from Green Park.

It's available 365 days a year and is way way better than small outlets that "spring up" during this festival. Most importantly, there is a bowl of fried onions that you can use to your heart's content. Unlike these small outlets who sprinkle that stuff as if it's "saffron"
Oh yessss. Totally agree.

Have you tried the midnight buffet of Hampshire Plaza, Lakdi-ka-pul? Similar menu as Green park including Haleem and tawa kaleja and tastes good too.

Dunno if they still have that menu going but last year we were regulars there.
NoRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2011, 15:19   #3534
Team-BHP Support
 
mobike008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 10,520
Thanked: 7,197 Times
Default re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRules View Post
Have you tried the midnight buffet of Hampshire Plaza, Lakdi-ka-pul? Similar menu as Green park including Haleem and tawa kaleja and tastes good too. Dunno if they still have that menu going but last year we were regulars there.
Been there and done that. We contributed to the coffers of Sardar Sant Singh Chatwal by conducting several TBHP dinner meets at Hampshire Plaza last year

However, they shut down their "unique" buffet for about a year and reinstated it back a few month ago.

And, yes, their Haleem, Kheema and Pao is outstanding. They have more number of dishes compared to GP but, not all of them are good.
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2011, 16:02   #3535
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: "Luck-City", TG
Posts: 666
Thanked: 327 Times
Default re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Had the Pista House Haleem yesterday,and somehow did not like it the way we used to like it the previous years.Hardly any fried onions or mint leaves to go with it.Disappointing.Priced at a heavenly INR 95/- .Looks like this year none of the usual suspects are tasting great.A case of overkill?
Hey Ranjit, is this 95 price at a franchisee of Pista House or is at the main outlet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Strange. That night, there were 6 packs of Haleem from Sarvi and it was heavenly and also spicy. Not sure how taste can change from day to day.
Maybe the taste suffered a blow because I ate it cold. Had got stuck in the traffic jam at Masab Tank Junction below the fly over due to caving in of the road. What a pile up in all directions it was.

Later I tried to get a Pista House Haleem through Bade Miyan of Babu Khan Mall who stocks it but he had still not started the franchise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
However, they shut down their "unique" buffet for about a year and reinstated it back a few month ago.
Let me know whenver the next TBHP meet is happening at Hampshire Midnight Buffet. I want to join in.

Haleem : Yesterday, I crossed Ghasmandi Junction on R P Road and was amazed to see the huge billboards, spot lighting, real fancy flower decorated arches at City Light. They take their Haleem advertisement very seriously. Anyone tried it? What are the comments?
hyd_traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2011, 17:14   #3536
Team-BHP Support
 
mobike008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 10,520
Thanked: 7,197 Times
Default re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
Haleem : Yesterday, I crossed Ghasmandi Junction on R P Road and was amazed to see the huge billboards, spot lighting, real fancy flower decorated arches at City Light. They take their Haleem advertisement very seriously. Anyone tried it? What are the comments?
Is this the one on the junction which leads to Monda Market? If yes, I tried it last year and it was good.
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2011, 17:55   #3537
Senior - BHPian
 
ranjitp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,568
Thanked: 1,686 Times
Default re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
Hey Ranjit, is this 95 price at a franchisee of Pista House or is at the main outlet?
I got it from the franchisee in Sainikpuri.I guess yesterday was their first day.He was telling me that even PH was charging 95 at their outlets.Not sure if that is true though.

By the way how are the lassis at Sind Punjab?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Is this the one on the junction which leads to Monda Market? If yes, I tried it last year and it was good.
Yes the very same one.
ranjitp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2011, 18:32   #3538
BHPian
 
kri$hna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bhagyanagarabad
Posts: 231
Thanked: 29 Times
Default re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

Lot of discussion gng on about Haleem eh !

Any idea where in hyd can i get decent tasting veg haleem ? i know its kinda stupid to ask for Veg Haleem, when it is more famous as a nonveg variety, but want to have veg haleem and may be give a taste of hyd to my wife as well

any suggestions from the gulpers here plz ?
kri$hna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2011, 00:33   #3539
BHPian
 
NoRules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 226
Thanked: 57 Times
Default re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by kri$hna View Post
Lot of discussion gng on about Haleem eh !

Any idea where in hyd can i get decent tasting veg haleem ? i know its kinda stupid to ask for Veg Haleem, when it is more famous as a nonveg variety, but want to have veg haleem and may be give a taste of hyd to my wife as well

any suggestions from the gulpers here plz ?
IIRC Pista House is the only outlet which sells Veg haleem. Not very sure though.

Will also check with my friend who owns Basil if they are serving it this year. Remember him talking about it.
NoRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2011, 06:20   #3540
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: "Luck-City", TG
Posts: 666
Thanked: 327 Times
Default re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Is this the one on the junction which leads to Monda Market? If yes, I tried it last year and it was good.
Yes, the same one. Well, since it was found good, I will try it out soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
I got it from the franchisee in Sainikpuri.I guess yesterday was their first day.He was telling me that even PH was charging 95 at their outlets.Not sure if that is true though.

By the way how are the lassis at Sind Punjab?
I picked up Pista House Haleem at Punjagutta for 90 yesterday. It was good. Available on both sides of the main Khairatabad - Ameerpet Road immediately after you turn left towards Ameerpet when coming from Banjara Hills.

I had eaten their paneer at my cousin's house in Mumbai and saw him sprinkling masala on it. The masala and paneer both were awesome. While flying back, packed a few Kg. paneer and some masala. Wife also loved it. No idea about any other product available there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kri$hna View Post
Any idea where in hyd can i get decent tasting veg haleem ?
Stick to Pista House and get it from their original outlet in Old City. Better still is to buy it there and sit and eat in your parked car. The trick to tasty Haleem is to eat it piping hot. There is absolutely no issue in eating veg haleem, after all, not everyone eats every moving and crawling thing.
hyd_traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore Hatari Shifting gears 3606 22nd August 2017 09:03
A Guide: Eating out in Mumbai khanak Shifting gears 1130 9th January 2017 10:20
A Guide: Eating out in Pune abhijitaparadh Shifting gears 557 6th January 2017 02:10
A Guide: Eating out in Delhi/NCR tsk1979 Shifting gears 574 27th October 2016 10:14
A Guide: Eating out in Kolkata (Calcutta) planet_rocker Shifting gears 88 31st October 2015 12:50


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 02:56.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks